grimmie

Official NHL 2011/2012 thread!

The Wings need to get their act together...I haven't seen them look like this since the '70's.

The Wings also spent most of the 1980s in the basement.

The Jets are where they belong. So good to see them back in Winnepeg.

I could care less about the Jets, but you do need to get your spelling right.
It is either "Winnipeg" or the other accepted spelling is "Winterpeg". ;)

Thanks for pointing that out to me! I'm serious about that. I did not mean to offend our Canadian neighbors.
Atlanta didn't and don't deserve a team Look what they did with the Flames. They really don't support hockey but our illustrious Gary Bettman pushed for hockey in the U.S. South. After all... "It's a Canadian game!" :)

Chuck

The NHL no longer belongs to Canada (referring to the players). Nowadays you have players from many many many countries making up the various NHL rosters. I think the NHL can survive in the south of the USA, but only where Canadians and Americans from northern states vacation. However Georgia and Tennessee just aren't places where very many Canadians and Americans from northern states vacation. Not sure how TX does it, but I remember hearing a decade ago that there were more professional hockey teams in TX than all of Canada. LOL ...

I just dusted off my copy of the 1970s Paul Newman movie Slap Shot and watched it the other night and this movie is second to no other movie when it comes to hockey and comedy.

"The Hansons, we're here for the Hansons". :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think, that's what Bettman was counting on... enough people from the north, (snow birds) to support hockey. Atlanta has had two cracks at a team and blew it both times. Nashville, surprisingly, has really taken to their 'Preds'. Texas has really taken to hockey, with (minor league) teams in Odessa, Del Rio, Austin and other towns. Houston, has had the Aeros for many years and Dallas 'loves' their Stars. Of course, Texas has had so many Northerners move here.
Also, I think, Bettman has 'global ideas' for the NHL. I think, he's 'testing the waters' with the games the NHL teams play in Europe each year, he's tipping his hand. We may see a European expansion, sometime in the future

'Slap Shot' is just a great movie!:D

Chuck

Bettman is an idiot and I can only think of one person who is worse than Bettman and that is Bernie Ecclestone (billionaire boss of the F1 world).

The main problem I see with European expansion is travel and timezone differences. I really do not want to see NHL North America only play NHL Europe in the finals. So they need to play a somewhat balanced schedule against each other. But travel time, travel expenses, time zones and jet lag are major hurdles. Ask Vancouver or one of the three California teams how they feel about being isolated on the West Coast and then imagine what some European teams would need to go through.

That's what I was thinking. I can't think of any U.S. or Canadian teams being able to afford that kind of travel. Then again, you are correct...Bettman is an idiot!!! How do we get rid of the commish? Allow him to continue and he will single-handedly ruin the NHL.

The Red Wings have ahd a horrible schedule also, having to play a steady schedule of Pacific coast teams. They and the Pacific Coast teams can thank uncle Gary. :S

Chuck

Detroit is an Eastern city who plays in the Western Conference. It is a little messed up, but if you put Detroit in the East and put some team such as Winterpeg in the West, then NHL fans would lose the Hawks/Wings and Blues/Wings rivalries. So as messed up as it is, keeping some traditional rivalries alive is a good thing for the sport.

They look like slugs on the ice.

Except when they're running the opposing teams goalie. :D

Relax, Chuck.......we don't always start strong, but we tend to travel quite a ways into the postseason.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Yeah. Toronto with 17 points in 12 games? It's one of the horsemen of the apocalypse teasing us.

San Jose is pulling its head out of its ass. But my beloved Kings are playing some sollid hockey and Drew Doughty coming back can hopefully make it more solid (Richards trade good - he's been SOLID!)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What is with these refs? In last night's Calgary - Detroit game, the officiating for both sides was horrible! The 'real' penalties were either not seen or ignored. Even the announcers were commenting on the sorry officiating. Mickey Redmond was beside himself a couple times.

Chuck

For the Wings --

Good......Less travel time, which is great for an older team.

Bad.......potential to play the Blackhawks one round earlier.

Two or three great teams in a conference may dilute the quality of the semifinal and SC rounds.

Overall, I like it just for the reduced time-zone changes.

Don
It's a free-for-all."

They look pretty good. If the Coyotes move anywhere except the Central is is seamless (The Pacific Northwest would be nice).
The best thing is moving the Wild away from the Pacific. Yes they are a tough out, but mainly because they are shit to watch most years.
WTF is with putting Tampa and Florida in with Toronto, Montreal et. al? Does Bettman know something? The Quebec City Lightning? The North Toronto Panthers?

WTF is with putting Tampa and Florida in with Toronto, Montreal et. al?

Canadian snowbirds and other northern vacationers will go to see the Habs and Leafs play the FL based teams while they are on vacation in FL.

22 in a row and counting.

Datsyuk is just a monster. And a great pass by Z.

Time will tell, but the Wings are looking mighty strong.

Don

You just never know when Dats is going to strike! What was it... 5-seconds left on the clock when he scored that goal? Do you recall when Datsyuk first came to Detroit? All he'd do was pass the puck! WOW! Look at him now! Zets wasn't even supposed to be there last night. According to rumors and press. The Wings are looking solid. We darned sure can't forget Bert!

Chuck

22 in a row and counting.

Datsyuk is just a monster. And a great pass by Z.

More than one slick pass by that line. Knowing how hard it is to make something like that makes them seem even more amazing.

Even though, as I'm sure you know, I hate the RedWings, I was rooting for them to break the record. But it's time for this streak to stop.

Like maybe tomorrow morning. On national broadcast tv. :ph34r:

Do you recall when Datsyuk first came to Detroit? All he'd do was pass the puck! WOW! Look at him now!

Yep. And now he's probably the greatest all-around player ever to lace 'em up. Hard to make an argument to the contrary.

Don
It's a free-for-all."

Like maybe tomorrow morning. On national broadcast tv.

Sweetie, aren't you supposed to be getting smarter as you mature ? Didn't you read the fucking manual ? :)

Don
It's a free-for-all."

Do you recall when Datsyuk first came to Detroit? All he'd do was pass the puck! WOW! Look at him now!

Yep. And now he's probably the greatest all-around player ever to lace 'em up. Hard to make an argument to the contrary.

Don

There was this Skinny kid from Parry Sound.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4085