Nataly

When did you leave the nest?

Just wondering at what age you left your parent's place for good?

If you went back several times, please pick other and explain... Same goes for those of you who still live with your folks :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

19 and halfway through college. I took a year off to work and paid for the rest of college (well, me and the scholarship and loan committees :ph34r:). My relations with my folks were fine, it was just time for me to go.

One of the best decisions I ever made; it turned me into an adult, both for myself, and to my parents.

I moved back in for a couple of months about 5 years later after moving back to their city and looking for work; then, later, with my husband while our house was being built (about 3 months).

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you went back several times, please pick other and explain... Same goes for those of you who still live with your folks :)

I was a hoodlum teen, kicked out of the nest at 15. Been on my own ever since. Trust me, I needed it...;)
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I was 17;
The old man tried to hit me in the face with the buckle end of a belt;
I punched him in the face in self defense;
He threw me out.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

19. I had been in the Army Reserve two years, paying my way through college and resented my parents insisting that I be home for dinner every night. So, I packed up the Camaro and moved out one day. We didn't talk for a couple of months. It could have gone better.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Left at 18 for college but went home for summers to work and save money.

Went back several times through the years for a few months at a time to help out with family illnesses and other issues.

Now both parents have passed and I find myself going back to address estate issues, I'm having some difficulty figuring out what to do with the place I grew up in, where I was young, happy & carefree... the place I've always called home.

Maybe in some ways, I've never really left the nest.
:);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Somewhere around 19 years old, when I was still in college, my parents moved from Pennsylvania to Georgia, leaving me in PA all by myself to finish school. I stayed up there for a few years after graduating, constantly getting guilted about not coming to visit. (They moved, not me. Not my fault I couldn't afford to come visit.) Eventually, due to money issues, I moved back in for about 1 1/2 years. Granted, I hated moving in with them, but it's what eventually brought me down to Atlanta and I've never been happier. Been back out completely on my own for 2 years now. Hoping that the situation never arises where I'm forced to move back in. Yes, at times, when I'm having to help take care of my Mom and her medical issues it would be easier if I moved back in, but for the sake of my sanity I just can't do it. Love them to death, but I just felt so down on myself the whole I was back living with them.

I've been living on my own, with zero help from my parents, since the day I turned 34.

They must be very proud.

:D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

18. I went off to college and didn't come back (definitely not for summer).

Stopped taking money from them at age 20 (you don't control your own life if some one else pays for it) apart from the token check in birthday/Christmas/anniversary cards.

Love them to death, but I just felt so down on myself the whole I was back living with them.

I just got off the phone with my son and he echoed your feelings. He was talking about going to grad school after graduating from college next summer. I said, "or, you could come back home and move in with your Mommy!" He replied, "Mom, that's moving backwards, not forwards."

I agree...but I still think he should move home and live with his Mommy. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Love them to death, but I just felt so down on myself the whole I was back living with them.

I just got off the phone with my son and he echoed your feelings. He was talking about going to grad school after graduating from college next summer. I said, "or, you could come back home and move in with your Mommy!" He replied, "Mom, that's moving backwards, not forwards."

Careful what you WISH for! >:(:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:D:D Whenever I have any problem, no matter how teeny or unimportant (like a broken nail!), my mom's solution is for me to move back to Canada... And by "Canada" she means "home to live with Mommy"!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I was 17;
The old man tried to hit me in the face with the buckle end of a belt;
I punched him in the face in self defense;
He threw me out.

LOL ... I had a similar story but I was 16 instead of 17 and I didn't punch him in the face. My NAZI step-monster (he was a real NAZI as he grew up as a Hitler Youth on the other side of WWII and his slightly older brother fought in Russia during the war), err I mean step-father blind sided me one morning with a punch to the head for coming home late after a night out on the town. I push him across the hall, over his bed and was about to begin pounding on him when something in the back of my head said "stop". So I did, I cleaned off the blood from my face and life was never the same after that day. I was no angel as a young buck, but I was also no criminal. Growing up with a NAZI was not easy, but the step-monster did do something good for me at the time which did take a few months for me to realize why it was good. He basically sent me off to a reserves armed forces military unit for the summer and they taught me how to be responsible and self sufficient. Drill sucked ass, but I got to shoot machine guns and that was fun. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

After a "my house my way or the highway" conversation. I chose highway, we didnt really talk again for nearly 5 years.

He told my mother the year after I left he'd expected I'd be back within a month... which is odd given that he'd raised me to be self sufficient from the beginning.

20 but back at 25 after a divorce for a few months when I followed the parents to Georgia from the DC area. Been of the tit since 20 aside from that.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee