skydiver30960

How would mankind react if the existence of extraterrestrial life was confirmed?

...I don't mean what would happen if little green men came to Earth a-la The Day the Earth Stood Still or Independence Day because I think we'd all agree that we'd go completely xenophobic and make real asses of ourselves.

BUT, what if we knew life existed on another world, but we were informed in a way that was totally unthreatening to us? Like, what if we got a radio message sent back to us... something like "hey, we're getting your messages, all is well, keep sending us more episodes of I Love Lucy."

Would it galvanize us as a species? Would we still freak out? Or would we pretty much scan over it in in the news, complain about all the alien posts in our FB feeds, and pretty much ignore the whole momentous occasion?

Elvisio "Like Contact, only without the crappy acting" Rodriguez

Interesting question.

We, as a whole, are apathetic. When it's pointed out that bad shit is happening, we tend to think that " no it cannot be happening to us (certainly, not ME!) "
[:/]

That being said, are we talking something microbial? Heck, we can't deal with the flu, here, so why would we be able to deal with this?

History proves that we don't act till very late in the whole scenario. :$

But, at the same time, It's pretty darn hard to kill us. B|

But then again, maybe this is good for us? :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I think a whole bunch of religious leaders would be burning the midnight oil on re-writes!

Considering the vastness of the universe and the fact it happened here...we'd have to be pretty conceded to think it didn't happen elsewhere.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Would it galvanize us as a species? Would we still freak out?

Simply a radio contact? We'd freak out. No question. Well, for about a month or until Psy made "Gangnam Style 2", whichever came first really.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think we would try to kill them off.

Well, I don't think you've thought that through.

If you look at the history of the universe, we're pretty later comers to the game. Odds are any other civilization we could contact are at least as or, far more likely, far more advanced than we are.

Now, look at the history of the Earth and what happens when a more advanced civilization meets a lesser advanced one. Almost without exception, the lesser advanced civilization gets slaughtered.

We have no means whatsoever to travel to any other solar system, yet it's entirely possible (not likely, but possible) they have the means to travel to ours.

How, precisely, do you intend on killing them?
quade -

I think it's ridiculous for us to think we are the only ones out here. With our limited travel ability and limited ability to even look very far into the universe there is no telling what is out there. I'd personally like to see some aliens to show up and put us in check. We are spoiled children in the scheme of things.

BUT, what if we knew life existed on another world, but we were informed in a way that was totally unthreatening to us? Like, what if we got a radio message sent back to us... something like "hey, we're getting your messages, all is well, keep sending us more episodes of I Love Lucy."

If contact happened, I would expect the the powers to protect from the truth. I mean, when is the right time to tell your kids that the easter bunny doesn't exist. (sorry to those who are just finding out about that now.)

My opinion is that if we knew about E.T. life/communication. 'WE' wouldn't know about it until it was too late.

It's hard to control people who have hope. So, It's easier to keep them guessing and wondering so, religious/governmental organizations can still make billions of dollars by telling us only what you need to know.

If there was contact from other worldly beings and they could not threaten us why would we (the kids) need to know. It would only make us ask questions they couldn't answer.

My thought is that life does exist somewhere (else) in this vast universe. It would be a waste of an awfully large amount of space if there wasn't.
My photos

My Videos

If you look at the history of the universe, we're pretty later comers to the game. Odds are any other civilization we could contact are at least as or, far more likely, far more advanced than we are.

Now, look at the history of the Earth and what happens when a more advanced civilization meets a lesser advanced one. Almost without exception, the lesser advanced civilization gets slaughtered.

We have no means whatsoever to travel to any other solar system, yet it's entirely possible (not likely, but possible) they have the means to travel to ours.

Do you truthfully think we're been visited already?

It would absolutely explain why some people are completely off the deep end, wouldn't it?

I mean, I would prefer to think of some people as genetic experiments rather than a products of our society.:D
My photos

My Videos

No. The odds are ridiculously low against any sort of interstellar space travel. The energy requirements make no sense for "visits."
quade -

No. The odds are ridiculously low against any sort of interstellar space travel. The energy requirements make no sense for "visits."

I dunno, that same argument could have been made a couple hundred years ago regarding travel to the moon.

I think if a 'society' has a few million years head start on us technologically speaking, they certainly may have found a way...

...and who's to say another life form would be a fragile as we are, could be a few thousand of 'our' years is a weekend cruise for them and their lifespan.

I think it's a possibility...some advanced form checks 'us' out now & again.

Earth: inhabited by primitive yet highly social beings that look funny and taste bad.

If the universe is infinite, there should be infinite life in it. The level of technological sophistication should run the spectrum. We have no way of knowing where we are on the spectrum. We could be topped out or sucking hind tit.

If you could prove to me today that sentient life was on the moon, I'm not sure it would have much effect on me. I call my parents about once per week; my best friend about once per month; haven't spoken to my brother since I left the States four months ago. Unless this ET posts on a website I frequent, we'll probably never have any contact...no matter how ubiquitous or scarce they are.

Think back to the last time you had contact with some of the people you have been close to. Then, tell me you are going to go ape trying to contact someone you don't know just because they grew up on another planet.

This is my basic complaint about the space program. Yes, it is neat. But we have better things to do with the money at the moment. When we can be good custodians of this planet, then we can look at visiting others.

Maybe other life forms don't visit us because their social services departments haven't gotten around to trying to help us out of our situation, yet. When they do get here, they may take the kids away from us when they see how we are raising them.

Eh...just random thoughts.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I think it's ridiculous forus to think we are the only ones out here. With our limited travel abilityand limited abilityto even look very far into the universe there is no telling what is out there. I'd personally liketo see some aliensto show upand putus in check. We are spoiled children in the scheme of things.

I agree with The above statement...right down to the last sentence...[:/]
... i've often thought that If contact was made... in the form of intelligent (and hopefully Peaceful ) Life, arriving on Earth, we would be Gracious Hosts, as we "grasp the Enormity" of it All. I'd forsee a "UFO"touching down say, in Europe... amassing the media and TV news crews etc etc to announce,
" we have Finally had it !!! with You people".. we've been monitoring you for 10,000 of Your years" "you're doing it ALL wrong"....:o:S;)

and then, since tha naysayers WILL cast doubt on the arrival... the ETs would then announce...
" we are leaving here ( Europe) now ,and will ARRIVE in what YOU call Sydney Aus. in FIVE of your minutes
" have your media THERE to receive Us AND to verify, that we have accomplished thousands of miles of travel in such a short amount of (your interpretation ) time."

and then they DO it.....

Follow that Up with announcing, " we will Now head for NY City USA,,,,and will BE there in Five minutes." .... such travel SHOULD convince most, that they are NO Joke...

It is said that the planet Earth is unlike the other planets about which we Know,,,, In that "it looks like a colorful marble, in the vastness of space". IF we can look out into the universe to identify other stars,,and in some cases other planets around those stars..... certainly WE should be Highly visible to anyone Else,, out there,,, Looking at Us....Sticking out like the Colorful beacon that we ARE...

It would be History CHANGING,,,, if those Viewing Us HAVE the knowledge and ability to DO light speed travel........ Some of the "crazy" evidences put forth by "ancient aliens" proponents,,, are Not as Off- the -wall as they might sound...
IF early hominids had been visited ANYTIME in the past 100,000 years, or so.... our relative lack of Understanding it AS it ocurred, could easily have resulted in Legends, Myths, Bible Stories etc....being created as Our only way to interpret and express such visits...
It's possible that "Gods who came from the skies" WAS the way that previous cultures grasped what was happening then....:|

It could be fair to think that those visitors( or more likey THIER descendants ) STILL monitor us... either THAT,,, or they found life forms Waaay better than us elsewhere, have abandoned Us in favor of them,,,,and are leaving us to our own self induced anihilation........ imho :)

I dunno, that same argument could have been made a couple hundred years ago regarding travel to the moon.

I have a feeling you don't really grasp the distances involved and the speeds required to travel them in any time scale which makes sense for living beings.
quade -

I have a feeling you don't really grasp the distances involved and the speeds required to travel them in any time scale which makes sense for living beings.

Why would any alien beings be like us?

They could have a much londer lifespan.
They could be significantly smarter.
They could have been around millions of years longer and have significantly more advanced technology

I think a whole bunch of religious leaders would be burning the midnight oil on re-writes!

I fail to see how knowledge of life on another planet has anything to do with my spirituality...no re-write required.

Considering the vastness of the universe and the fact it happened here...we'd have to be pretty conceded to think it didn't happen elsewhere.

Nonsense...no conceit required. Some people just understand the fragility of life and simply feel that that the odds are tremendously against it.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

--------------------------------------------------------
Can you explain how primitive humans created the pyramids, stonehenge, and other engineering feats without help?

They could have a much londer lifespan.
They could be significantly smarter.
They could have been around millions of years longer and have significantly more advanced technology

do you really think they would need technology ? Why use machines when you can travel without :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Can you explain how primitive humans created the pyramids, stonehenge, and other engineering feats without help?

Yes. Careful, repeated astronomical observation (mulitple lifetimes worth) and basic "string and pin" surveying.

Levers, rollers, inclined planes (you know, the basic machines) and unlimited human labor.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes. Careful, repeated astronomical observation (mulitple lifetimes worth) and basic "string and pin" surveying.

Levers, rollers, inclined planes (you know, the basic machines) and unlimited human labor.

Yes. That, and Levitation-Ray-Guns, of course.
Remster