JerryBaumchen

Keyless Ignition Problem

You know that on my first car, a '64 Buick Special, that I could start the car up and drive, and then pull the key out of the ignition without disrupting the drive? :S:D:o

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I like the way Ford did it, at least on my F250 anyway.
Remote lock/unlock (handy for letting everyone in), remote start (engine dies if any controls touched without putting key in the ignition and turning to "ON"), keyless entry with the keypad for general use, and of course the panic button. GPS location with the app as well.
I tend to lock my keys in on purpose regularly.
If I ever go in, the DZ has the code. ;)
:D:D:D

When Mike Wolfe first bought his Avalon he drove it to the DZ. I got there shortly after he did and parked next to his car and it was still running. I went and found him and he did not even realize he had to push the stop button :o.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Auto-off (pun?) feature would suck. Now that it is cold, I get in my car, hit the start button, turn on the defrosters, and then get out of the car to scrape the windows. If the car shut off I would not like that feature. As it is, the car beeeps at me if I leave the driver's seat with the engine running.

I'm not sure I buy this lawsuit's premise. With a gasoline engine car, how can you not tell that the engine is running in your garage? Modern cars are quiet, but not that quiet.

Hybrids, on the other hand, maybe. I left my Prius on all night one time.

- Dan G

Hi Dan,

how can you not tell that the engine is running

I know a woman, in her 30's, who took some co-workers to lunch & left the car running while they went in to eat. She only realized it when they came out & the car was still running; with the keys still inside.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

raftman

My ex-wife left a rented Prius running all day in the summer Phoenix sun only to come out and comment about how cool the interior of the car was..................

Was she blonde? :):P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Don't know if this is true, but I have heard from good sources that those cars are easier to steal.
The "key" sends out the code to the car all the time and can be sniffed with the correct tool.
So as you park your car someone sniffs the code and makes a copy of this code that their computer sends out, this unlocks your car and lets the theif push start and drive off with your car.

But this is only what I have heard.
Anyone know how true it is?
It does sound as a big flaw in the system.

wmw999

OK, I think they're kind of cool in rental cars. But I couldn't lock the key in my 1963 Falcon unless I went through the back door. The new failure modes argument is valid. Particularly today, after the first Apple Genius Bar techie told me that my mail suddenly quitting working was something they couldn't address; that mail issues are usually a password problem :|.

I'll admit I'm just not that into gigantic black boxes with many possible outputs and paths. Those multiply the failure modes.

Wendy P.

Is that because you would rather have 6 redundant solid state computers?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's because of the labor-intensiveness of testing those five redundant computers that I prefer simplicity...

And not much solid state. When I started working there, they were still using core memory.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

ryoder

Just google "keyless ignition hacking" for lots of articles like this: http://www.wired.com/2014/08/wireless-car-hack/

That article is about older keyfob hacking (the "push the button on the remote" door unlocker/locker that we all have). But reading some of the other links that come up, it seems there are two main possibilities for hacking keyless systems.

1. Smash a window to break into the car and get access to the OBDII port and program a new blank keyless fob using a key programmer.
2. Use an special antenna and amplifier to make a car believe that a keyfob that is 100m away is actually in or near the car, allowing someone to unlock and start the car as long as the keyfob is somewhere near by.

#1 sounds like it is in use (in London at least). I'm not sure if #2 has made it that far out of academia, but it is a really slick idea. It can be defeated by keeping the key in a metal or foil lined box or bag when not needed.

I'm not really worried about either of these yet. I have not heard of auto theft of any kind being a problem where I live, and I have comprehensive auto insurance so a stolen vehicle would not be a devastating event, but a really annoying one.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".