Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

I can imagine things like "Waaah, you're gonna get hurt, don't jump" and "No way this messy pack job will open at all", thought-balloons like "After all, I can chop it, at least the reserve will open just fine" and finally "Wooooh! It has opened just the way it was meant to - why was I so anxious?" B|:)B|

Heh heh.
From what I've seen, packing looks as complex as stuffing an angry Giant Pacific Octopus into a tiny suitcase- even if you get him in there, he may enact revenge on the way out unless you did it just right. ;)

Wish you lotta fun for your next jumps. Weather permitting (which is just the problem in Thuringian winter) I should also be able to do some occasional fun jumps but apart from that I'm sort of envious you can jump :P
Thanks. It's sunny in So. California, but a bit too breezy for student jumps (at least that's what the weather channel predicted), so I grounded myself this weekend.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

packing looks as complex as stuffing an angry Giant Pacific Octopus into a tiny suitcase- even if you get him in there, he may enact revenge on the way out unless you did it just right.

Hm, I wonder what that image would like, oh, say.... in a cartoon? :)

>From what I've seen, packing looks as complex as stuffing an angry Giant Pacific
>Octopus into a tiny suitcase . . .

A slippery, angry Giant Pacific Octopus.

When I learned to pack it was on DC-5's with about 5000 jumps a piece on them, so at least for me it was more akin to stuffing a giant and grumpy - but sluggish - octopus into a suitcase.

When I learned to pack it was on DC-5's with about 5000 jumps a piece on them, so at least for me it was more akin to stuffing a giant and grumpy - but sluggish - octopus into a suitcase.

Now with the modern ZP canopies it is like stuffing a slippery eel into a tube sock.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

From what I've seen, packing looks as complex as stuffing an angry Giant Pacific Octopus into a tiny suitcase- even if you get him in there, he may enact revenge on the way out unless you did it just right. ;)

Good picture. You should (and probably will) use it in your cartoons which I'm looking forward to ;)

...but a bit too breezy for student jumps...

Yepp, that's a lesson to be learned again and again. You can't change the weather. Or as we put it in German: "Die meiste Zeit des Lebens wartet der Springer vergebens" (Roughly: Most time of their lives skydivers wait in vain.)

Cheers and take care. Greetings from rather cold and windy Gera (just came back from the Weihnachtsmarkt and had a glass of white Glühwein.) I'll leave the German words to you to figure out, you'll manage, I'm sure B|
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I love the beer panel at the end ... looks remarkably like my boyfriend did last weekend carrying in the four 12-packs that the two of us owed for our brand-new rigs. (So no, the :D fines never end, they just get a little less frequent!).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

When you are landing and trying to judge when to flare, don't look at the ground immediately below you, it will seem like it is whizzing by and speeding up.

This is an illusion as the parachute is not accelerating, its just that your mind has got used to apparently moving slowly, because you are high up with no close reference points immediately before you land.

Thus when the eyes do see movement, it tends to exaggerate, making it seem like things are moving faster and faster. This will normally cause you to misjudge your height and flare too soon, or jerk on the toggles.

Look at the horizon ahead of you instead, this will give you a more accurate picture of your actual height AND descent rate. Then your flare should be smooth, with full flare just as you touch down. You'll soon get the hang of it, and you'll suddenly start to stand up.

Its much easier with a bit of wind though, on windless days its hard to wash all your forward speed off completely.

Practise a few flares under canopy, you'll soon get the feel of how the canopy reacts to your toggle input....whether fast or slow.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I love the beer panel at the end ... looks remarkably like my boyfriend did last weekend carrying in the four 12-packs that the two of us owed for our brand-new rigs. (So no, the :D fines never end, they just get a little less frequent!).

Thanks and congrats on the new rigs. B|

When you are landing and trying to judge when to flare, don't look at the ground immediately below you, it will seem like it is whizzing by and speeding up.

This is an illusion as the parachute is not accelerating, its just that your mind has got used to apparently moving slowly, because you are high up with no close reference points immediately before you land.

Good point. I call it the "freight train illusion" because the same thing happens when you're standing near the tracks watching a train approach at a steady speed. It seems to float in the distance and suddenly zoom up, but it is, in fact, not accelerating.

Its much easier with a bit of wind though, on windless days its hard to wash all your forward speed off completely.

There was zero wind that day, so that might have been part of the problem.

Practice a few flares under canopy, you'll soon get the feel of how the canopy reacts to your toggle input....whether fast or slow.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Thank you so much for these they sure made me smile and I can't thank you enough for that!
Keep up the amazing work.....no pressure! :)

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Love the expression after landing :D

Also the beer, oh so true.

Yep.

Carrying a couple heavy gearbags?

Nothing.

Carrying toolboxes and spare parts?

Nothing.

Carrying two cases (or even 2 six-packs)?

A bazillion jumpers will ask "Gee that looks heavy, do youi need some help?"

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::P

Nice jpb Namo!!

The landings will come in time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I likes the solo cartoon.

Glad your solos are coming along well. Like what the others said, landings will come to you, with time.

Some days you will do better than others, that's how it seem like it was with me.

Have you had a stand up landing yet? With all the jumps I did, I never had a stand up landing :(

See you around the DZ.

I likes the solo cartoon.

Glad your solos are coming along well. Like what the others said, landings will come to you, with time.

Some days you will do better than others, that's how it seem like it was with me.

Have you had a stand up landing yet? With all the jumps I did, I never had a stand up landing :(

See you around the DZ.

I've never had a standup landing.:$ I'm not the most coordinated person in the world so it may be awhile. I'm just happy that they've been gentle. I think of them as extra PLF practice.

Are you at the DZ this weekend?
If so, id like to say hi, and buy you a beer:)

I was planning to jump this weekend but it may be too windy. Nobody has to buy me a beer, but I'd be happy to say "hi!" B|

it wont be come on out early :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Are you at the DZ this weekend?
If so, id like to say hi, and buy you a beer:)

I was planning to jump this weekend but it may be too windy. Nobody has to buy me a beer, but I'd be happy to say "hi!" B|

it wont be come on out early :)

I was planning to...
...but it was cloudy and drizzly this morning (in Los Angeles at least) and my weather source for Elsinore said it there were gusty winds, so I stayed put.[:/]
If I learn that conditions today were student friendly after all, I'll kick myself.