Nataly

Weird stuff you miss...

I have now been away from Canada for almost as long as I lived in it... Strangely, two things get me excited about going back: Tim Horton's and Kraft Diner!!!

So what things do you miss when you are not in your homeland?? Or, alternatively, what do you miss from abroad if/when you come back??

PS: No, I am not going to Canuckistan any time soon... Just had a random craving for a doughnut!!! :D:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Abroad:

Doner from Germany
Shawarma from Iraq

Statside:

Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Freebirds, Papacitos, kolaches, Shipley doughnuts and BBQ in general from Texas
A place called Burritos near Ft Campbell, KY
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm what's politely known as an adventurous eater :ph34r:. There are just about always enough interesting foods out there that I don't have time to miss any. I'm ready to get home after a few weeks, but it's more because of quiet.

When I lived in Brazil, I was little, so I didn't miss anything about the US. And when we moved back to the US, the primary things I missed were the people and the school (I was 11). And when we moved back to Brazil, I was a high school student in Rio de Janeiro -- what exactly was I supposed to miss about northwestern Ohio???

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

what exactly was I supposed to miss about northwestern Ohio???

:D:D

Dunno, but when I was about to leave England, my ex asked me what foods I would miss and I burst out laughing... Because I was leaving England (not generally known for good eating) and moving to France (a cuisine that has been copied/studied the world over!!!). :D:D But every now and again, I could really do with a pint of Guinness on tap... Or some really nice, vintage cheddar! You *can* get those here, but they are not quite the same.

ETA - ohhhh... And a really good curry!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Showed some slides once from a trip to a bunch of jumpers. The last slide was of all my shit, sled and every thing, piled up in front of a Tim Horton's in the airport. It sent this poor Canadian girl into withdrawal right there in front of every one. They must have crack in their coffey or some thing.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

My Bed
In all my travels in all the places Ive stayed from tents, friends houses to 5 star hotels I have never found a place with a bed as comfortable as my own.
When i am away for a while I really miss my bed.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Fish&Chips, Shepherd's pie and Yorkshire pudding from any authentic British pub. Also Norsk Fårikål from Norway had been a big hit for me as well... yum yum:)
Not a big fan of American food really. The natural flavours of the ingredients are just overwhelmed by added sugar and other unnecessary spices. Applebees would still remain on top of my list.

Zep

Crabbies ginger ale
My first wife
Spare ribs from the little take out in Pettswood Bromley
My second wife
Real English and Irish beer, Stout
Driving on the "right" side of the road

The driving bit is irrelevant as it is not edible :D:D:P

ETA - D'oh! I did not actually specify in my original post that it had to be food-related... My bad! I am therefore obliged to take back this comment... Driving on the CORRECT side of the road is absolutely relevant! :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Squeak

My Bed
In all my travels in all the places Ive stayed from tents, friends houses to 5 star hotels I have never found a place with a bed as comfortable as my own.
When i am away for a while I really miss my bed.

Even that queen bed in the guest bedroom at our place? That's one comfy mattress. :)

Also not abroad but from the North side of the country. I miss the Coney Island hot dogs in Detroit. Seems like we had a Coney Island Franchise on every other corner.

Went to a little diner in Orlando the other day. They were advertising Coney Island hot dogs as a special. So I asked the waitress about them. CONEY DOGS DO NOT HAVE PEPPERS AND CHEESE ON THEM.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

RiggerLee

Showed some slides once from a trip to a bunch of jumpers. The last slide was of all my shit, sled and every thing, piled up in front of a Tim Horton's in the airport. It sent this poor Canadian girl into withdrawal right there in front of every one. They must have crack in their coffey or some thing.

Lee

When I'm away from home I always seem to want to get a Tim's as soon as I get back, then I remember that it's not good coffee and that I usually go to Starbucks or McDonald's for coffee instead...

I spent eight months in Afghanistan and when we got home at the reception there was Tim Hortons coffee and donuts, I was grateful for the coffee to be sure, but it actually made me realize I'd miss the coffee from the little place the locals ran on our camp - it was really good.

Lawndarter

***Showed some slides once from a trip to a bunch of jumpers. The last slide was of all my shit, sled and every thing, piled up in front of a Tim Horton's in the airport. It sent this poor Canadian girl into withdrawal right there in front of every one. They must have crack in their coffey or some thing.

Lee

When I'm away from home I always seem to want to get a Tim's as soon as I get back, then I remember that it's not good coffee and that I usually go to Starbucks or McDonald's for coffee instead...

I spent eight months in Afghanistan and when we got home at the reception there was Tim Hortons coffee and donuts, I was grateful for the coffee to be sure, but it actually made me realize I'd miss the coffee from the little place the locals ran on our camp - it was really good.

I mean... It's not something I crave all the time... But every once in a blue moon, the fact that I *cannot* have a honey cruller makes me want one!!! :D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Lawndarter

I'd miss the coffee from the little place the locals ran on our camp - it was really good.

https://greenbeanscoffee.myshopify.com/pages/cafe-locations

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

Abroad:

Doner from Germany
Shawarma from Iraq

Statside:

Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Freebirds, Papacitos, kolaches, Shipley doughnuts and BBQ in general from Texas
A place called Burritos near Ft Campbell, KY

Out of idol curiosity, do you remember the cost of the Shawarmas in Iraq? I was in Syria for a couple of weeks and that's all I ate, they were like a quater each.

Nataly

I have now been away from Canada for almost as long as I lived in it... Strangely, two things get me excited about going back: Tim Horton's and Kraft Diner!!!

So what things do you miss when you are not in your homeland?? Or, alternatively, what do you miss from abroad if/when you come back??

PS: No, I am not going to Canuckistan any time soon... Just had a random craving for a doughnut!!! :D:D:D

Have you been to any of the Tim Horton's in the US? They started springing up in Ohio a few years back and now there's even one in Athens. The thing is, they're terrible. I'd like to hear from someone who's been to both the Ohio ones and the real ones in the Great White North for a comparison.

wmw999

I'm what's politely known as an adventurous eater :ph34r:. There are just about always enough interesting foods out there that I don't have time to miss any. I'm ready to get home after a few weeks, but it's more because of quiet.

When I lived in Brazil, I was little, so I didn't miss anything about the US. And when we moved back to the US, the primary things I missed were the people and the school (I was 11). And when we moved back to Brazil, I was a high school student in Rio de Janeiro -- what exactly was I supposed to miss about northwestern Ohio???

Wendy P.

Unless you have a thing for Amish food the only thing that stands out is this little place just outside of Cleveland Sport Parachute. In March they'd have these all you can eat pancakes and sausages with the locally produced maple syrup. It wasn't a restaurant, more of a town hall, with long tables with classic table covers and these pitchers sitting everywhere, some full of milk and some filled with maple syrup.
It was always memorable, and definitely gave you the energy to do anything all day. Which means jumping of course.