RTB

PC in tow, cutaway or no cutaway?

Ok,
I understand your logic, but disagree with the statement that it is nearly the same issue with or w/o the WS. Well I only experienced that once and I might not have enough experience in that and any other matter in this sport. I prefer just during/right after the reserve deployment prevent the bad thing and cut away main - just my choice of actions. W/o WS you can fly actively your openings using your body and hands. With WS you can't, or at least I can't in the same extend.
As some ppl say, only cows don't change their minds, so I take into consideration changing mine, but not at this moment.

Today I read very nice sentence (now in translation) expressed by one of the best women climber in the world of her time which applies to all risky activities:
"Life tests the best when you can loose it" +Wanda Rutkiewicz+.
It means that nothing in their sport is 100% safe and works perfectly similar to skydiving and the worst things happen.
One of those worst things is the entanglement of any type incl. both canopies, reserve and main while flying WS. Rare but still can occur the same as malfunctioned reserve after a main mal and cut away. And in my case when I barely touched the bridle and the main immediately opened, I can suspect that the main would have just opened right during the reserve deployment and went into the reserve.

Don't forget, I jump Performens Variable ;)

safe jumps and no PCIT
cheers
j.
sorry for bad English

Back to Poland... back home.

This is a wingsuit student. Student has no problem finding the handle, it's that the BOC is far too tight, and it's a PUD-type handle with a locking tab (bad idea, IMO).
Add to it the container being overstuffed (160 in a 120/135 container, a too-short kill line, wingsuit burble...you have 12 seconds of "is it gonna...?"

That is some serious stacking the odds against you behaviour.

There is one video that was on skydivingmovies called breaking thru, that video had a very scary moment to.
I have not seen that video on youtube or vimeo so i cant link to it.
But he pulls the main, nothing happens, pulls the reserve, main deploys, reserve freebag seems to entangle with main, he lands right next to a eletric wire, trees and a road.
As a short explenation of the video.
But to me, in that case, it looks like a cutaway before he pulled the reserve would be a good idea.
But ofcourse you cant know that until its too late.

I have the video, but i dont want to upload it because its not my video.
At the end of the video it says its made by Josh Venning, so if anyone knows him you could perhaps ask him to upload that clip.

WRT specifically Magnetic Riser Covers (versus tuck-tab), there was a whole thread recently dedicated to this, and a more in depth video embedded there as well, if that is the direction you are going, and/or looking at considering as any factor relevant to this thread anyway - already exists, HERE
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

And if it had entangled with the bridle, it's still very likely that you would have had a reserve deployment. Thats one of the reasons for the free bag system.

I've since discovered that the main pilot chute was damaged badly enough that I've replaced it. There had to be enough friction heat going on to light a camp fire up there.

It makes me even more thankful for the freebag system and for how short square canopies are, compared to how long rounds are. If this whole thing had happened with the rig I was using thirty years ago, I'm thinking the round reserve may well have been trapped and/or too severely damaged to inflate. Bummer...

Safe skydiving is still more than just modern gear - but modern gear is SO much safer. Now if they could just cook up something new to prevent or cure the PCIT altogether !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I've had a couple. I automatically pulled my reserve without cutting away -- in those days, I didn't have a 3-ring, so it was more involved. I have a feeling I'd do the same thing again, but maybe not if I knew I was high enough.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The OP asked what you would do and WHY.

Lots of "what I would do" and very little on "why."

I'm very surprised to see so many jumpers with such big jump numbers saying things along the lines of, "I'm cutting away first because I don't want the canopies to get entangled if the main comes out after the reserve."

That is not clear thinking in the big picture.

When you have a PCIT and you cutaway the main before it comes out of the container, what have you accomplished?

You've broken the main connection point and nothing more.

If the main comes out after you deploy the reserve, yes, the main could come out and inflate AND get entangled in the reserve.

That's STILL no different than had you simply deployed the reserve without the cutaway.

What IS different is how you would handle the entanglement. Cutaway first and you're hosed with no further options the second those main risers leave your reach.

What IS different is that you can still do the cutaway when/if the main comes out. Think about that and what's going to happen with the main when your reserve is already flying.

Also surprising is how so many are more afraid of the 2-out situation as compared to the entanglement.
Screw that. I'll take a 2-out over an entanglement any day and every day. I have a chance to safely land a 2-out...not so much on an entanglement.

Yes, YMMV. That's why USPA accepts either response as valid for a PCIT. Yes, Pros and Cons about each. I'm of the personal opinion that the pros outweigh the cons of one of them.

Any young jumpers reading this thread:

Your job is to handle this situation by using whatever method you were trained. After you gain more experience, get more comfortable in the sky, and gain more knowledge, you may reach a point where you will be able to make intelligent decisions for yourself on a "what's best for me" basis. The key phrase is "intelligent decisions."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

^^ yup.

As I see it, with a PCIT I have an immediate problem that needs fixing, and that is I've blazed passed my pull altitude and I'm still in freefall. Chopping will not solve that problem or even improve things whereas pulling silver (hopefully) will. Fix the problem you've got.

If your main is still attached to you, then you retain the option to do something with it if you end up with two out. However, if you've already chopped and the departing main risers wrap around your reserve on their way past, there's not a lot else you can do.

That's STILL no different than had you simply deployed the reserve without the cutaway.

Sure it is. An already cutaway main may not even leave the bag before the risers clear the harness. Better or worse? More or less risk of entanglement? Don't know, but it's clearly two different scenarios.

As someone who has had a pilot chute in tow, and cut away before pulling reserve, my rationale is simple.

Once I have started the deployment sequence for my main (which means I have pulled the main handle), if I have a problem I am chopping and then pulling reserve.

The only exception that I can think of to that at the moment is a horseshoe, which I would try (no more than twice) to clear, prior to doing EPs.

The argument (in my mind) that cutting away first wastes time is rubbish, as this takes only a fraction of a second, and unless you pulled your main really low it should not be of consequence. I'd probably waste more time checking an automatic cut away then just getting on with it.

The other argument - departing risers of the main could entangle the reserve as it deploys has merit - but once you are in pilot chute in tow situations you are in a pretty bad place and no-one knows the best course of action for sure.

Blue skies

Paul

I had a couple of PC's in tow, resolved them differently everytime because they were different...(pull the pin clear with the bridle, elbowed the dbag out etc.)
Then once it gave me a very bad spinning linetwists which I had to chop.
I learnt the "soft" way that you need to take care of your gear, and when your PC seems tired, it's time to retire it and replace with a young one. Never had the problem again.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It seems to me that there is no right answer here (as acknowledged by the USPA) in that once in a PCIT situation you can't know if the right thing is to cutaway or not, until you have done it and seen the outcome.

My personal choice is not to alter my practiced EPs in the middle of a mal. I will cutaway and then deploy the reserve.

That decision could kill me, or it could save me. I won't know until it happens.

FWIW I jump a pull-out so technically I can't really have a PCIT. It would have to be an open container situation which would make it a horseshoe.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Sure it is. An already cutaway main may not even leave the bag before the risers clear the harness. Better or worse? More or less risk of entanglement? Don't know, but it's clearly two different scenarios.

Excuse me. Please read again:
"If the main comes out after you deploy the reserve, yes, the main could come out and inflate AND get entangled in the reserve.

That's STILL no different than had you simply deployed the reserve without the cutaway. "

It seems to me that there is no right answer here (as acknowledged by the USPA) in that once in a PCIT situation you can't know if the right thing is to cutaway or not,

...and that's the sad part, IMO, because people reject the reality of an entanglement outcome.

...until you have done it and seen the outcome.

...and that's the questionable part.
Please don't get the idea that just because it was handled one way, using one method, that is' going to go the same the next time using the same method.

once in a PCIT situation you can't know if the right thing is to cutaway or not,

Given that, why make the choice that is final compared to the choice that you can modify at a later time. Once you pull the cutaway, there is no way to put it back. If you do not pull the cutaway, you still have the option to do it later if the need should arise.

With no load on the 3-ring, and nothing prompting you to cutaway, why do it?

What you are you afraid of, an entanglement? If you pull the cutaway before the reserve, you lose control over the main entirely. If it deciedes to deploy, it will do so and depart of it's own accord, maybe at an opportune time, maybe not.

If you leave the handle in place, and main deploys, you have the option to chop it or not, and if so, when to chop it. If you can achieve a stable side-by-side or bi-plane, then don't cutaway, just ride them both in. If they want to fight or downplane, get them seperated, and choose the ideal moment to cutaway when the risk of an entanglement is lowest.

If you're concerned about the main entangling with the reserve during deployment, and a situation occurs where they could entagle, they will likely do so if the main is connected or not. The difference is that if the main is connected, you can either control when to cutaway, or if the entanglement cannot be cleared, you're securely attached to both canopies, and ready to take advantage of the 'more square footage at impact' scenario.

It's just stupid to pull a handle that you have no reason to pull. You have a limited number of options available to you with regards to your handles, and to use one up for no reason just doesn't make sense. Stop the freefall, then see what happens.

Stopping the freefall is job one. Dealing with whatever transpires comes after that.

This is directly responding to you DocPop but kinda is due to this statement ;)

My personal choice is not to alter my practiced EPs in the middle of a mal. I will cutaway and then deploy the reserve.

That decision could kill me, or it could save me. I won't know until it happens.

Good discussion on Skydive Radio show 119 I believe with Frankie from Skydive Chicago. Talks about his double mal due to cutting away a pilot chute in tow before reserve deployment.

direct show link:
http://hw.libsyn.com/p/d/9/9/d993f6e21d1b381a/sr119_07_15_09.mp3?sid=b204e778a2370add0b3bbe1b5a0444d0&l_sid=21714&l_eid=&l_mid=2011400

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Some good info there, Dave, and I can't disagree with anything that you say.

The only defense I have for my thoughts in the previous post are these:

1. I have not had a cutaway yet and I think it will be better for me to go with the muscle memory that I have practiced (ie. both handles). It is true to say that I am nervous about my first mal and the thought of having to consciously change my EPs in the middle of a high speed mal make me even more nervous.

2. I do think that a cutaway main is less likely to inflate if the D-bag escapes the container, compared with a main that is still "anchored" by the risers.

Please note that above is just my line of thinking and, as stated in my previous post, I acknowledge that it may turn out to be wrong on the day.

I hope you don't take this as dismissing your points, which are very valid, just trying to explain my thoughts.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

This is directly responding to you DocPop but kinda is due to this statement ;)

Good discussion on Skydive Radio show 119 I believe with Frankie from Skydive Chicago. Talks about his double mal due to cutting away a pilot chute in tow before reserve deployment.

direct show link:
http://hw.libsyn.com/p/d/9/9/d993f6e21d1b381a/sr119_07_15_09.mp3?sid=b204e778a2370add0b3bbe1b5a0444d0&l_sid=21714&l_eid=&l_mid=2011400

That is an interesting discussion.

However, n=1. It is not a scientific study and nobody can say what would have happened if his main had deployed without a cutaway.

Thanks for posting. Food for thought....

~ CanuckInUSA

1. I have not had a cutaway yet and I think it will be better for me to go with the muscle memory that I have practiced (ie. both handles).

Are you going to cutaway a hard pull as well? If not, then you already have two procedures and either one of those is applicable to a PCIT.

I personally, will pull the reserve first.... My line of thinking is that it is a high speed mal, and you get zero points for impact craters.

Additionally, I reserve the ability to cutaway as soon as I get a reserve over my head. So I still have some choices.

There is no right or wrong here.... I just want you to realize that if you are not going to cutaway a hard main pull that you already have two emergency procedures.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

1. I have not had a cutaway yet and I think it will be better for me to go with the muscle memory that I have practiced (ie. both handles).

Are you going to cutaway a hard pull as well?

Yes, probably.

Would that be wrong?

~ CanuckInUSA

Would that be wrong?

Wrong???? Depends on how you want to look at it.

I think so... the SIM agrees:

2. Procedures:

(a) In the case of no main pilot chute deployment (e.g., missing or stuck handle, ripcord system container lock), deploy the reserve.

The problem is with nothing out you are doing 120 MPH and quickly running out of time.

So for a TOTAL, the best practice is to stop the skydive by going directly to the reserve.

Now for a PCIT.... It is a gamble either way.
I treat a PCIT like a total since the speed and the time you have left is the same.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think it will be better for me to go with the muscle memory that I have practiced (ie. both handles).

I remember reading an incident report where some guy found, while in freefall, that his reserve handle was missing, completely gone. So his muscle memory kicked in and did what it was trained to do in the event of an emergency, he cut away his main. This did not improve the situation. So there he was in freefall, with no main and no way to pull his reserve. He said he'd even identified the exact point in the field where he would bounce when his AAD came to the rescue.

Muscle memory is all well and good but you need to be able to override it with your brain memory.