nicknitro71

Bridge day 2003!

Yes, a standard bridle would have slipped clean, but the multi bridle grabbed me like an octopus. I had a longer canopy extraction than normal, which put me low next to another jumper on the load. I flew over her canopy, but the octopus reached out and grabbed me, would not let go. I ditched my toggles, and untangled the beast, which was fully wrapped around both of my legs. The jumper with the multi went on about her business, and landed without incident. I was left with a decision..... and had a dry, injury free rear riser landing. 2 inch flare on my Mojo 260. Thank you Consolidated Rigging. Lisa will be throwing away the multi, and replacing with a standard bridle.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Worlds worst 9-way!!!! I resemble that remark.;)

Just poking fun at friends. Besides, it was Jason that made up that term, not me.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yes, a standard bridle would have slipped clean, but the multi bridle grabbed me like an octopus. I had a longer canopy extraction than normal, which put me low next to another jumper on the load. I flew over her canopy, but the octopus reached out and grabbed me, would not let go. I ditched my toggles, and untangled the beast, which was fully wrapped around both of my legs. The jumper with the multi went on about her business, and landed without incident. I was left with a decision..... and had a dry, injury free rear riser landing. 2 inch flare on my Mojo 260. Thank you Consolidated Rigging. Lisa will be throwing away the multi, and replacing with a standard bridle.

So you're saying that even on a solo, the multi provides more of a possibility for entanglement with an object, should you hit it?

i got a pic of you and zennies exit! i will post when i get my pics back!

> ...but the multi bridle grabbed me like an octopus.
Yes, I can imagine.

> Lisa will be throwing away the multi, and replacing with a standard bridle.
Well, this is a very personal opinion and moreover biased on what happened, basically connected to the type of jump (multi way).
In my 100+ jumps with Multi I never experienced ANY sort of problem connected with Multi, in fact, I would say that Multi helps so much in having cleaner deployments, slider off (including SL) and slider up.
Of course, if you do a particular/stange sort of jump (like a multi way), it is true that Multi does create a potential problem for entanglement if "anything" is envisaged to come in closeness with top surface of parachute: in fact, in this case it would be higly advisable to remove Multi.
But it seems unfair passing from an (entanglement) problem experienced in a particular jump to remove Multi for ALL successive jumps.
I think it is not wise to get rid of a component, useful in 100% of your jumps, because in 1% of your jumps it could become a problem for entanglement.
Just because the 1% of "strange" jumps is known in advance what sort of "strangeness" it is going to be, it would be way more "right" to remove Multi, or any other standard/non-standard component, just for that particular jump, and re-install it for all the other "routine" jumps.
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Tom I met you briefly in the Conference Room on Saturday night. I saw your Mr.Bill on the bridge too, that was sick!

Pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

Edit: Or this one?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

I'm not familiar with BASE gear so maybe it's something else, but that girl's container looks like a Vector to me... (?)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Kind of hard to tell, but I believe it was this one, because I know the person that dropped from Tom had a H2O round on and that rig looks small.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Kind of hard to tell, but I believe it was this one, because I know the person that dropped from Tom had a H2O round on and that rig looks small.

That jumper in that picture had a very low round opening. ~15 ft.? I watched from the landing area after my last jump. Almost 3:00?

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

that girl's container looks like a Vector to me... (?)

Skydive gear is alowed at BD,how ever there are some rules to follow.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

That jumper in that picture had a very low round opening. ~15 ft.? I watched from the landing area after my last jump. Almost 3:00?

That totally freaked me out to watch. I'm glad he is okay.

Does anyone know what happened with the guy who had the spinning malfunction? He looked fine - glad he landed in the water - but what went wrong? I never did hear.

From the video on Sat night, looked like line twists + tension knot. He missed the big boulder by a foot or so ... He was sitting in the room during the video, and said he is fine ...

That's the one. The round is a Phantom 22 in a custom Perigee-W pin rig (it belongs to me). That jump was the Alabamaway--it encompassed 2/3rds of the active Alabama jumping community.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was one of the injured folks. I feel bad for being one of the negative stats for this AMAZING event, sorry guys!!!
Mine is a fractured heel, and I know there was one other guy there (Hope you heal soon, John!) who had the same injury. Mine was the result of a crosswind landing that wasn't handled well. I missed the call about swirling winds coz of 2 video cameras in my face, and when it came down to it I screwed up by not PLFing and reaching out with my left foot, which came down hard on one of the larger, flat rocks near the waters edge, which was very unforgiving! Still waiting to get the MRI scan to show the full damage, but I'm out of jumping for a while, for sure! But the 2 jumps I got in (my first 2 BASE jumps) were something that I will never forget, an amazing experience.
FYI - I was jumping a Vision with a Fox 225 (I weigh about 170 nekid, so slightly on the small side), so no probs with the equipment, the problem was no PLF.......a bigger canopy may have helped, but I doubt it.
A BIG thanks to everyone who helped me post-damage, the ground crew in the LZ were all fantastic.
Cheers!!!

FYI - protective gear worn included helmet, knee pads and high-top safety boots. I hate to think what my foot and leg would look like if I had been wearing tennis shoes!!!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Heal quick, brother! Don't worry about being a negative stat....I was there myself in 1997.

On a similar subject, I was informed of one incident where a jumper probably saved his own life by simply wearing a helmet. I saw the marks in his black helmet and he wouldn't be walking and talking today if he wasn't wearing one. I believe he hit his head on some rocks during landing.

I also saw a jumper come in hot into the LZ, downwind, and deep. The jumper took two steps and hit his head on the back of the NPS cherrypicker truck. He hit the truck at approximately 15-20mph and it sounded like someone smashed the rear of the truck with a sledgehammer. The jumper immediately flew up in the air and landed on his back with a large gash between his eyes. He might have been OK if he were WEARING A HELMET. Fortunately, he was not transported to the hospital. The image of this jumper hitting that cherrypicker will stay with me for life.

HELMETS ARE A GOOD THING. WEAR THEM!

I was one of the injured folks.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

He might have been OK if he were WEARING A HELMET. Fortunately, he was not transported to the hospital. The image of this jumper hitting that cherrypicker will stay with me for life.

So what happened? You say he wasn't OK, but he didn't get transported to the hospital. Dead? Or walked away and went home with a gash?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

He clearly had a gash between his eyes and was hauled away on a backboard. But, miraculously, he rose from the backboard, they bandaged him up, and he walked away.

I'm not sure if he received stitches or not. Anyone else know?

So what happened? You say he wasn't OK, but he didn't get transported to the hospital. Dead? Or walked away and went home with a gash?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Thanks to Jason and all the volunteers for the smoothest Bridge Day I've ever attended. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Though I had a staff pass, I never even needed it because the line moved so fast. After working from 9:00- 11:00 am. at the exit point, I still got 3 really fun jumps and got to watch a bunch of my Carolina friends make their first base jumps. Two things that I liked the most were 1). The videos that the official video crew shot are great. Especially the really cool exit angle taken from the ground. Really glad that they said it would not be a boogie video, but a technical video.(exactly what I wanted).
2). The line monitors down at the buses were worth their weight in gold. In the past, I've seen more people almost get injured fighting over a seat on the bus than landing in the rocky d.z. With the line monitors, everyone was calm and cool knowing that there would be no breaking in line.
Jason Bell and Vertical Visions ROCK!!!!! B|:)
Base-Rigger
Tony Herring Base-516

I just tallked to him, he said he's fine and didn't need any stitches.

heres a few pics i just scanned. i dont have time tonight to scan more, but i will soon!

Just wanted to echo my thanks to all involved, I had a blast!! My highlights included my first Bridge Day jump, first diving board jump, but mostly watching the gleam in all the first timers eyes! I really enjoyed working the exit point from 9-11, thanks JASON!!!! It was a pleasure to meet everyone, wish I could've met more dot commers, maybe next time.
Even after Bridge Day the festivities continued as I was able to make a couple of jumps off some local objects with some VERY nice folks who are in the manufacturing side of the BASE industry, you know who you are and thanks again for visiting the Carolinas, come back anytime.
Looking forward to seeing ALL of you real soon at an exit point near you.
Later
Blair

Hi All!

I was watching from the top on the "carnage 9-way" and saw one jumper's foot entangled with the multi lines of the parachute immediately below him. He kicked and kicked and finally freed his foot. I did not recall seeing him having to use his hand to clear the entanglement; I saw him kick it off, but I was watching the foot and the lines, not the hands.

Basic Research has stated from the onset of the Multi Bridle Attachment that entanglement issues are increased with the addition of this feature on your canopy. It typically wouldn't be a problem because we try to achieve vertical separation during deployment, but in this case sufficient separation was not reached, and the foot stuck right in the thick of the Multi lines. My comment was "well, there is one good reason to not have Multi..." I've only been around a couple of years, but have seen hundreds of jumps from the top, and have never seen this occur before. The only other problem I know of with the multi was a jumper that had too large of bites on the multi stows in the pack job, which then caused a deployment hesitation. For those of you asking about Multi problems, these are the only two that I know of.

The solutions are simple:

If you have a FOX or FLiK equipped with multi, and you're planning a big way jump, it might be in your best interest to disconnect the Multi Lines from their rings and attach your bridle to the front center cell bridle attachment ring. This removes any possibility of Multi line entanglement in case your deployment altitudes get jacked up for any reason.

When using your Multi, make sure to use half a black band for each stow, using 4 total, and make sure that the bites on the Multi sheath are less than half an inch. The stows are there to keep the lines in the proper place in the rig, they are NOT there to stage the deployment! You can even S-fold the sheath in the top of the rig and not even use the stows, if you have a mind to.

I'm guessing that the Multi feature has peformed perfectly on thousands of jumps, with only 2 problems reported to date, with no injuries involved.

Good job on the jumpers keeping their heads, clearing the problem, and landing safely. That must have been a heart-pounder for the two of them!

Bridge Day 2004 was awesome, the jumps were OH! so sweet, and I can't wait for next year. Thanks to Jason and Jennifer and all the staff! Bridge Day is an absolute blast, and if you haven't been to one, you better get there next year!

Be safe, have fun, and soft landings to all!

Peace,
Karen
BR