nicknitro71

Bridge day 2003!

I saw him kick it off, but I was watching the foot and the lines, not the hands.

If i rember correct he already told his story here,and i guess you missed somthing;)(his hands)

Jumping 100% on your leg again?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I talked to him after, and I think he said he had about 250 skydives (and a few BASE jumps?? not sure) before getting paralyzed in a biking accident a couple years ago.

Joe

Russell is an amazing guy. He also paraglides quite a bit from what he's told me. He's probably in the air more than many us. Good luck to him.

...he had about 250 skydives (and a few BASE jumps?? not sure)

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

The AFF jump was powerful. There are some seriously good people in this sport, willing to put themselves on the line to share such an experience. I was thrilled to see that jump. Thank you to those involved.

Forgive my ignorance but are you guys jumping with your chutes out???

Can anyone explain the technicalities of the jump? I see the "student" has a pilot chute in his hand. I'm guessing it was a go and throw. As the student is being extracted, one of the "instructors" deploys? I'm guessing he's packed slider up just in case? Is the second instructor staying with it after the student is extracted or does he start tracking? What sort of delays were the instructors doing? Would the "instructors" care to be identified to me (via PM)? I'd like to ask them a few questions. Thanks
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Can anyone explain the technicalities of the jump? I see the "student" has a pilot chute in his hand. I'm guessing it was a go and throw. As the student is being extracted, one of the "instructors" deploys? I'm guessing he's packed slider up just in case? Is the second instructor staying with it after the student is extracted or does he start tracking? What sort of delays were the instructors doing? Would the "instructors" care to be identified to me (via PM)? I'd like to ask them a few questions. Thanks

One of the "instructors" on that jump taught me how to pack, I emailed him and told him to check this thread out - maybe he'll post some answers to your questions.

He is the same guy who did it last year as well

Kevin

I was on the platfform when he jumped....awesome and inspiring. My first bridge day in 10 years...had a blast and now I have to spend a bunch of money on new base gear. Retired the skydiving gear after the third jump. Only 51 weeks to go!

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Jason and Jennifer Bell for organizing Bridge Day for a second year. Bridge Day ran smoother than IÕve ever seen it. Jason is definitely the right man for this job. Bill Bird also plays a big part and is a backbone to the event. I enjoyed being a staff leader for Jason again and need to thank the 12 people on my exit point crew. They are:

Marcia Brandes
Jason Kennon
Dave Funcheon
Johny Ò9livesÓ Anderson
Paul Kohnke
David Lirette
Danny Koon
Anthony ÒDonkÓ DiCola
Yuri Kuznetsov
Sergey Kuznetsov
Mark Kissner ÒTreeÓ
Kevin McGuire

My hat goes off to all you guys!!

I also saw a change in attitude with the park rangers, more so this year than last year. It seems that they are growing to be our friends, and vise versa. It has always been a dream of mine to stand with others in humility, yet truth, before the congressmen and senators of our country and make a solid case as to why this community should be given a second chance, and allowed access to our great cliffs in this land. As time goes on and we learn from our mistakes, more and more people realize BASE jumping is not a sport of crazy people, but a sport of beauty and freedom.

Have fun, donÕt die,
Johnny Utah Winkelkotter
B|
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

Bridge day was great. Many thanks to Jason and Jen and all the volunteers and staff who made it happen. Also thanks to everyone who has already placed their order for the video. We tried the new angle from the ground up to the exit point with a huge lense not knowing how it would turn out... and it turned out great. We got lots of compliments on the video we showed saturday night from that perspective. Burrito Rodriguez did a fabulous job on that camera all day.

Thanks to the entire video crew, it was a huge success and Ed couldn't have done this without you and your sweet cameras. We had 6 continuous cameras and additional footage. There were at least 3 cameras on the exit point for the entire 6 hours, 1 from the basket, 1 from the top of the bridge, and the one from the ground looking up. Cajones also did other perspectives of the exit with the Swain Cam. There were at least 2 cameras on the ground to catch all the landings. If you landed in the main area, we got it. We really think we covered ourselves with redundancy, and we've tried to do it in such a way that it is easy to edit to meet our goal of finishing around xmas time.

On a personal note, Tom, great meeting you again... sorry i didn't make the connection the first time! Alana, good to see you, we still need to jump. To the spinning mal guy, (sorry i'm bad with names), we are all glad you missed that great big rock!!! We have the entire jump from at least 3 angles. To everyone, sorry we didn't get to be more social... work took a lot of time. Thanks for all the orders we've received already.

Big thanks to Consolidated Rigging, Inc.!!

Peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

The line monitors down at the buses were worth their weight in gold.

Just for reference, I weigh 260#.. :o

, In the past, I've seen more people almost get injured fighting over a seat on the bus than landing in the rocky d.z. With the line monitors, everyone was calm and cool knowing that there would be no breaking in line.

We hope to do a better job next year, I'll make sure we have a CB radio so we can track the busses a bit better and load them heavier/lighter as need be. I may try setting up a PA speaker down at the packing area to let everybody know when a bus is on it's way so any lollygaggers can get a move on and get in another jump.
When Bill asked us to do this.. he had us primed for a real headache, talking about edgy adreneline pumped jumpers... thought we'd need straight jackets. That didn't pan out... everybody was very nice and we had no problems to speak of.
None of us goons.. I mean line monitors ;-) are jumpers. But it was fun and I think you'll see the same faces next year! (Well, at least my ugly mug).

Great Time, Ready for next year, you guys rock the house...
42 and don't forget your towell

i made a discovery this weekend and it made me want to ask this question...
does this attachment mean anything to anyone that was at the holiday inn bar during bridge day weekend?

Any photos of the Mr Bill landing????

... that is of the round canopy getting full inflation (I think) just before water impact?

My only photos are attached. From a 70 mm lens, point and shoot camera at the landing area.

The first shows the separation of the two jumpers. The second shows the beginning of inflation. Unfortunately the water is not seen, but the bottom of the photo is pretty much the horizontal plane, judging from the trees. I'm guessing about 100' height with the canopy just starting to inflate. The jumper looks well head down too. Quite the rush.

Thanks to Jason Bell and the other organizers & volunteers -- it was a great Bridge Day.

Peter Chapman