nicknitro71

Bridge day 2003!

Well guys I thought it was a blast! Jason and the other organizers did and outstanding job. The weather could have not been better. What a day! I managed three jumps and not a bruise. All five of us got home happy and safe. I think it was a good promotion for the troubled BASE community.

Well feel free to add comments and the number of jumps you made.
Memento Audere Semper

Mainstream media tells us that there was no more than a couple ankle fractures.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Bridge day was awesome! Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone, Tom was a great wealth of information and it was great to finally meet Robert from Birdman and see the new suit :)

There was a broken leg, and some broken ankles.. nothing 'major' I made some great jumps !

Kevin

yeah, bridge day was so awesome. i can't believe that i only met 1 from the whole list of who was going. where was everyone friday and saturday night? i was running around the holiday inn bar with a snow hat on and a sunflower. yeah, i was pretty drunk, but who wasn't? i am definately going to make my first base jump from the new river bridge next bridge day. i just need lots more skydives! i got some really sweet pics of people's exits cause i was right by the entrance gate to the platform the entire day. so if you did something really sweet, i probly have a pic of it. i know that i got a shot of zennie and brits exit, but didnt know it was them until later today! anyhow, post more stories please. i had the best weekend of my life!!! i love base jumpers:)

-836 jumps made this year (745 last year)
-Jumping started at 9:00:05 am
-Approx. 400 jumpers (includes staff)
-Three exit points (16' diving board, traditional ramps, railing exit)
-More train holds than I can remember
-4 jumpers were transported to the hospital, all were released by Sunday (if not Sat night). 2 ankle breaks, 1 lower leg fracture, and 1 vertebrae injury.
-All injuries were landing related. Winds were light and variable, often forcing crosswind landings.
-3 "Roll Over" jumps were performed, including several from the diving board.
-The BDC reports up to 200,000 spectators.
-Weather was sunny and in the lower 60's.
-We are working on an amazing, new exit platform for next year that would include an elevator that lifts jumpers to a platform 35' above the bridge, holding two large jumbotron screens and live camera feeds.

The bottom line is that it was an amazing Bridge Day that ran smoothly and had little, if any, lines for registration.

One minor problem at the Saturday night party......I had a signed contract with Red Bull that promised free Red Bull/Vodka and beer to all jumpers. The Red Bull/Vodka was never provided and the beer didn't last as long as we would have wanted. I apologize to the jumpers who missed out on this and we are working with Red Bull to see how they are going to fix this breach.

Thanks to all jumpers who attended. For those of you who made your 1st BASE jump yesterday, welcome to our amazing sport. Cya next year.

Check out these pics:
http://www.bridgeday.info/_temp/IMG_3262a.JPG
http://www.bridgeday.info/_temp/IMG_3733a.JPG
http://www.bridgeday.info/_temp/IMG_3921a.JPG
http://www.bridgeday.info/_temp/IMG_4136a.JPG

Photos captured by Whitewater Photography (the crew in the basket) are online at http://www.leisuresportsphoto.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?action=search&showall=true

Did any major incidents occur?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Yeah, BD2003 was awesome. I made 3 jumps, ( first being my first ) - I even jumped my own packjobs :)

thanks for putting on a kickass event, I will definately do my best to be back next year.

Paul.

Bridge Day 2003 was the freakin' bomb. What a boogie! The whole event was run without a flaw, in my opinion. Registration was a no-stress event. Once again, the Holiday Inn was very accomodating and put up with a lot of our crap. I met so many cool peeps and learned so much about the best sport in the world. I decided that I'm buying my own base gear now. I want to go and take a real FJC and learn the right way. I only made one jump because I had to whore gear, but I stayed dry and unscathed. Thanks to all the freakin' cool staff that helped make our day the sweetest. (thanks Bruce, Jason, Sporto, Mark, Cindy, and all). You guys rock!!!!!!! See you next year!

I had a Great time at Bridge Day!!!!!!!!!!!

The weather was unbelievable! No one could have asked for better weather.

Thank you for the updated Statistics. It is always good to get the actual. I heard there were more injuries than that. I am happy that everyone is in good condition and nothing serious happened.

I made two jumps. One landing on land and the other landing in water on purpose because I did not like what the winds were doing. I believe that the water was colder than 56 though. :S Especially for a Florida Guy! :):ph34r:

I was there with LadySkydiver. We were looking for dz.commers but I guess the crowd was just too big. We did catch up with a couple.

The hardest thing was the drive up from Florida. It took longer than I had planned and my body is paying me back for it.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

i can't believe that i only met 1 from the whole list of who was going. where was everyone friday and saturday night? i was running around the holiday inn bar with a snow hat on and a sunflower.

I only bumped into a few folks myself. Looks like the Friday thing sort of fizzled, but I think everyone was doing the same thing... running around all over the place. I know I was. ;)

BD 2003 was a total blast! Got 3 off the bridge. Got to see a lot of friends again. Got to meet some other folks who I've gotten to know online but never met in person. All in all just a wonderful, great time!

Already looking forward to BD 2004. B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I was there with LadySkydiver. We were looking for dz.commers but I guess the crowd was just too big. We did catch up with a couple.

You met me. I'm not sure if you identified me as a DZ.commer or not, though (it took someone else who I met last year until this year to do so).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I met a lot of people throughout the weekend, but not sure if some were dz.commers. Tom I met you briefly in the Conference Room on Saturday night. I saw your Mr.Bill on the bridge too, that was sick! Bridge Day was such a blast I can't wait for next year!

Chrissy;)

~La La Gang Member #2~

I went to a snowboarding contest last year (audience... nowhere near a competitor). There were 26 professional competitors. There were 3 ambulance rides. Two broken legs and a serious skull fracture. It says something...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

To the ones injured, god speed in your recovery. Is there any details regarding the injured? i.e., Experience of jumper? gear used Skydiving v. BASE specific? Protective gear used (if any) by injured? Just curious,
nic

To the ones injured, god speed in your recovery. Is there any details regarding the injured? i.e., Experience of jumper? gear used Skydiving v. BASE specific? Protective gear used (if any) by injured? Just curious,
nic

At least two of the injuries came from the "World's Worst Ever 9 Way" jump. I'm pretty sure they were relatively experienced (i.e. well over 100 jumps) jumpers using BASE specific gear, and at least helmets and knee pads. The problems on the jump seemed to come from the separation plan, and the fact that so many people wanted to use the same landing area at the same time.

I was just watching, though, so my knowledge of the specifics is somewhat hazy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

bridge day was a freekin blast! I made my first jumps there and WOW. I am going to buy base gear for sure now. I have so much to learn. I couldn't believe the things people were doing off the bridge!
I just want to say the BASE community rocks and I will see everyone in '04!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Is there any details regarding the injured?

Well I know one of the injuries was a fractured heel because it happened to my friend. He was making his second jump of the day (and second BASE jump ever) and tried to stand up the landing in the LZ. He was using BASE-specific gear (Fox 245 in a GS Vision). Don't know what kind of shoes/boots he was wearing.

I know my first landing pounded on my feet enough for me to decide to roll out everything the rest of the day. And I was wearing Han Wag paragliding boots.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I met a lot of people throughout the weekend, but not sure if some were dz.commers. Tom I met you briefly in the Conference Room on Saturday night. I saw your Mr.Bill on the bridge too, that was sick! Bridge Day was such a blast I can't wait for next year!

Chrissy;)

that mr. bill was tom? i got a few shots of it i think!! hell yeah! that was sweet!!! my friends were the only ones that did a rodeo there:)

Worlds worst 9-way!!!! I resemble that remark.;)

Actually the “way” itself was planned fine...but there was a break down in communication during the count down which resulted in a less than simultaneous launch and contributed to the separation problems that caused the spontaneous CRW… but give credit to AB for clearing a multi-bridal entanglement quickly and efficiently which could have been disastrous.

The landing injury was to a jumper who had the cleanest approach to the LZ but "slipped" on one of those ankle breakers and had a freakish break in two places as a result of what looked to be a soft landing. That was the only "official" injury on the load...my heel injury was not reported until much later in the day and could of happened on any jump.

The worst 9-way ever? Well… it was definitely the worst 9-way of the day (because it was the only one.) :P but by that token it was also the most incredible 9-way. :ph34r:

Thanks to Jason Bell for putting on a great event. Once again all his hard work and tireless effort made BD03 a huge success. Lots of great jumps, great parties, and much fun had by all. Special congrats to all the first time BASE jumpers...the world will definitely look differently from this point forward!

Play safe,

Donk
[email protected]

a multi-bridal entanglement

Just curious if you could elaborate on this a bit more, please? I've often wondered if the multi ever causes problems....

I had a great time! Made 3 jumps, 1 w/ Zennie, and no H2O landings :)
Skydiving teammate Nick was one of the ones who shattered his heel (see ted's post)... So we were down to 1 driver for the 24 hour road trip back! Lol, I'm pretty delirious right about now. Great pictures, great video, can't wait again till next year!

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a multi-bridal entanglement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious if you could elaborate on this a bit more, please? I've often wondered if the multi ever causes problems....

whith out knowing it,i will guess that some one might caught a mulibridel by a leg or so... if not,i also would like to know what happened

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It looked like the multi on a lower jumpers canopy became entangled with the leg of a higher jumper. I believe he had to let go of his toggles to unwrap the multi from his leg.

I wonder if the multi might be a good CRW tool, to help hold those difficult docks together.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The multi-bridle attachment issue was as follows:

Jumper #1's leg got tangled with Jumper #2's multi attachment point in a CReW-like fashion. Jumper #2's canopy collapses and it appeared as if all the weight of jumper #2 was hanging on Jumper #1's foot. Jumper #1 drops his line-mod toggles and clears the multi entanglement. Jumper #2 then falls about 20-30 feet down until her canopy reinflated.

Both jumpers dealt with the problem very well. Congrats to both of them.

I was never a big fan of the multi before this, and now several jumper's concerns regarding the "catch points" of the multi are justified.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only