PhoenixRising

An interesting weekend

The lower you are the more visible (apparent) your ground track and the ground rush is. Does this make sense?

yea..I think thats part of the reason some people choose to take up gear more suitable for low-pulls, and do this kinda stuff in BASE jumping?

Dont see what this has got to do with skydiving?

That's why I asked. The visual difference between 2.5k and 1.5K is pretty well negligible, and (IMO) makes little/no difference to the visual perception of a ground track. But hey....what do I know? I always deploy by 3K, but my Altitrack lies about that once in a rare while.;)

Dont see what this has got to do with skydiving?

It was asked ...

I'm just curious as to what the thinking is behind pulling so low in a wingsuit that you don't have the time to fix some linetwists?

.. and my thinking is that there is a discernible difference between the ground track and rush at lower altitudes.

yea..I think thats part of the reason some people choose to take up gear more suitable for low-pulls, and do this kinda stuff in BASE jumping?

We are discussing low-pulls in the skydiving environment (which are much higher than low-pulls in the B.A.S.E. jumping environment). Regardless, there is gear more suitable for low-pulls in both environments.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

That's why I asked. The visual difference between 2.5k and 1.5K is pretty well negligible, and (IMO) makes little/no difference to the visual perception of a ground track. But hey....what do I know? I always deploy by 3K, but my Altitrack lies about that once in a rare while.;)

While I don't know about the visuals below 2,000 feet I do know that I notice a difference between the visuals at 3,000 feet and 2,000 feet (and I consider those visual to be a reward).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I'm flying a Performance Designs Spectre 150 loaded at 1.13 lbs/ft².

Funny I just calculated my wing loading and that is exactly what mine is too....also with a Spectre 150

Usually harness input is all that is needed to slow (or stop) any spinning and prevent further line twists (and possibly begin removing current line twists).

...yup....I never really worry about getting spun up. I got the Spectre when I started WS and I love it.

well glad to see so many opinions out there. I mainly posted this as entertainment, if i needed guidance i would ask.:P

I have over 1500 wingsuit jumps now, and i have line twists as often as anyone else, without cutting away. there are always exceptions as you see from this weekend.

My last alarm is set at 2200 feet, i usually pitch at 3000, and i was under my reserve both times by 1800 feet, I checked. That is not low. Trust me i have cutaway much lower.

And to answer the question about why i didnt grab the risers, well i ALWAYS grab my risers first thing after deployment, but these opening were spinning right away and I had too much momentum to grab up, that feeling should tell you its too much and you should cutaway. I can say that I think anyone who tries to fight something like that is stupid. its a battle with a very unknown outcome and its just not worth it. i am not afraid to execute my emergency procedures......Are you?

I am flying a Aerodyne pilot 132. its loaded at 1.5 It is a new line trim we are trying out from the factory. thats all i know. the canopy is not aggressive, Its a pilot. I always have great openings and landings with it, just dont know what happened this weekend.

oh well all in all its good times.

Justin

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

And to answer the question about why i didnt grab the risers, well i ALWAYS grab my risers first thing after deployment, but these opening were spinning right away and I had too much momentum to grab up, that feeling should tell you its too much and you should cutaway. I can say that I think anyone who tries to fight something like that is stupid. its a battle with a very unknown outcome and its just not worth it. i am not afraid to execute my emergency procedures......Are you?

It sounds like my last one last year. I'd rather blame the turbulence behind you.

Or wasnt this in the new easy-reach armwings on the tonysuits? Curious to see those in actionB|

Two line twists in an easy to reach Tonysuit wingsuit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgDcCemkHw (First one at 1:32, the second one at 4:50.)

Works as advertised, arms immediately free.

/Further evidence no one watches my videos but the people in them. :P
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Even now that I fly my SM1 most of the time, and am able to reach my risers during deployment, I still don't, usually. After so many jumps on my S3, I'm used to just keeping my hands on my chest (or chin to support camera weight). Even when I do get linetwists, I don't reach the risers right away. My first priority is making sure my knees and ankles are still locked together, making it very unlikely that my risers won't be even when the twists start. If your risers are even, the twists are a cakewalk. :)

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

if i needed guidance i would ask.:P

I wasn't offering that.

just dont know what happened this weekend.

I was offering some insight into that.

But obviously with 1500 wingsuit jumps, you're not going to be able to learn anything useful from mere mortals with less wingsuit jumps...

Of course, you are right on both counts. The "nobody watches" slashie-style comment was mostly self-deprecationg humor (or a bad attempt at it). I am pretty sure they would be watched if they were, you know, good. ;)

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have been amazed at how free the design left my arms. I have since had a minor modification to the wing that makes it a bit tighter, but generally speaking I can get my arms where they need to be when they need to be there. Your mileage may vary, but I think the Tonysuit team came up with a really nice solution to the problem.

On the other hand, I can no longer use my Tonysuit in my bondage fantasies, so there are trade offs.

/Crap. That last bit was supposed to be inner monologue.

Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Damn, homey you're gettin' scorched... Guys, quit pluckin' his feathers...
WTF... I usually pull lower than HE does, but then last couple years I been running an old Sabre at 1.3 set up for instawhump which has kept me mostly out of trouble except that business last year. Even so, I got as gently scolded as its possible to be recently by a friend who busted me for being....low. Ain't sayin' how low but for a bit I was mistaken for a no-pull. I felt like a bit of a dink. So I moved it up a bit to about 2.5. I hate worrying my friends, which, with the weird shit I fly happens a lot.
J, you let this keep happening to ya I'm gonna start pulling for you at 5K, just watchin' yer back, you understand.
Wanna borrow my old Sabre2 170? In 4 years of nothin' but wingsuit I never even came close to chopping that thing, and while I flew it I almost never landed out...
Almost....
:$;););)

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Yah I hate those base guys who think they can fly. The nerve of flying 3 feet from a cliff with one parachute when you could be flying within an ill defined proximity to 3 other guys with wingsuits and then complaining about which one wasnt straightening their legs enough. I hate those fags! :P

A: don't pull low, lest you be compared to completly ill-prepared BASE only faggots who think they can actually fly.

wow, that was a stupid reply. here's a follow up-

I'll give you a dollar for your unacreddited wingsuit 'school'

_justin

Define "low". My old S2 170, almost diving-spinproof but got linetwists a lot, mostly my own fault, and had a hell of a snivel. 3200 was low with that thing but it was the ultimate wingsuit security blanket for a beginner. I loved it and it kept me out of trouble.
Old green Sabre1 135, near as I can tell, most perfectly designed WS canopy ever made, for my purposes anyway. Opens clean firm, fast and on-heading even at sub-30 fallrates and largely ignores harness input so when I totally fuck it up, It lets me get away with it. Handles like a truck, swoops like a mattress with a stuck E-brake and the rear riser floatabilitys nowhere near as good as the Sabre2, but I've found the openings reliable as hell or I wouldn't push the low-2's.
I ain't competin' with Avery, though, below 2 is my "I'm being stupid" threshold.
Question for ya Chuck while we're talking smack about canopies and choices: Last I knew you flew a Sabre2 97. How long are the openings on the small sabre2's and how is it for long distances on rears? I picked the old sabre mostly for its openings, but man do I miss a Sabre2's flight range... my old 170 at .9 WL I could thermal-skip over roads and hot pavement for miles from low altitude on rear risers. An S1 135, I have to plan ahead much further in flight and make my "dump high?" decision much earlier cause once its open, rears don't help much, whereever I am I'm goin' down, ninjatricks won't prolong the flight much.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

My Sabre2 opens great! Yes, it's very small, but mine, a 2003 model, opens straight as an arrow and never, ever slams me. I have never chopped that main. Packing a frog in it on my last Canada trip and leaving it to sit all weekend long made for some fantastic aroma, too! The canopy is now known to the packers here at Z-hills as "old stinky." I love it.

AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, S&TA, bonafide prick, and the owner of an "unacredited" wingsuit school in FL where people come to drink beer, swoop the pond, and fly their shit.

thanks for this technique insight for line twists ---- I'm gonna see if I can spot the links and do this,...With the non-airlocked SM1, I can get my arms back onto my chest and then up to my risers as I look up in deployment ,...

I have used the wing out technique combined with the usual kicking to get out a couple times...

Scott Bland suggested "trying" to reach the steering line above a twist if you can and turning the chute out of the twist ----but I have not been able to make that reach yet on really tight multiple tline twists ,..even with my arms unzipped...

>>>>>Could those who use their harness offer some more detail on shifting your body in the harness to control or help get the line twists out,... I'm not a swooper and don't really fool much in the harness now,...but I remeber making turns just using my body shifting when I'm open and with my toggles stowed... Do you try to do this while "in " the deployment or right after the opening?

The Gray brothers told me there is a "container mod for some rigs that helps keep main bag straight and therfor maybe helps keep the lines from twisting as the bag comes out of the rig... what is the name of that mod and who does it??? I have a G-3 Mirage and my rigger said he can not do it...

Any other ideas,.....??

My Canopy line twists have always been "my Fault" and my 190 Spectre has always been " fully open " and steady above the twists with almost no induced turn.. Now that I open by just bending my knees some and without trying to close down the airlocked leg wing on my SM1,..I do not have twists very often ,.and when I do ,...it is usually only or two.

I saw both of Justin's deployments ,..one on film after our jump and one from above him ----he was rock solid stable in both deployments ,..and the twists as soon as the bag left his back...

I am going to assume that since I was on both of Justin's cut-away jumps,.. (and since I am getting so damn big that I am beginnikng to notice smaller people in orbit around me),...that I perhaps have some personal "event horizon" factor that is disturbing the gravitational space-time continuem in and around me... Sorry Justin!

Scotty-Go-Fast has also experienced this,.... I almost set him up for pre-bar staples in his head while he was on his back and I was uh-hem,... "passing over him" for some photos of my suit... (you know,... burble flow positioning 'really changes' when someone is on their back)

Oh ..and Scotty,... if "I" had been there,... it probably 'would still' have happened,.. but we would likely both be wearing turbans now. Does it still hurt???

and hey Rick,....a turban sounds like a great idea for your next couple months before you get back up in the sky with us....Cyper hug guy!

"Stoney" ( "Condor Brother #1 )
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.