PhoenixRising

An interesting weekend

Nicely done. Glad to see you lived thru both. You are getting to know your Optimum quite well, aahhh??? :P

What is that, reserve ride #14 & 15???

WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

J, have you watched the original(s) frame by frame? The cutaway on the 5th, at the 1:00 min to about 1:01/02 mark has a lot going on that may help explain why you're getting those lines twist spinners. Good job saving your life.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Why is my best friend coming home with a "turban?" .

Cuz he made a poor choice regarding who he was hanging out with that night. You shoulda been there, it wouldn't have happened. I shoulda been there, it wouldn't have happened.[:/]

Sux dude...but cool to see the person who packs your reserve does a better job than you do with your main (or the packer you are using:P).

You have your 3d dytter alarm set quite high, or dumping quite low? (just curiousity over the audio):$

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Sux dude...but cool to see the person who packs your reserve does a better job than you do with your main

Why do you think that could be a packing fault? It least breaks are set.

Just rolling one side of a canopy more than the other one can cause twist, or who knows what other tiny thing caused it...but I guess you accuse him of a body position at pulltime?:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

After all, One is the loneliest number.......:D

No way dude - Ever since I earned my new nickname - I've found out how many friends I really have - one is DEFINITELY not a lonely number!!! BTW, good job staying alive! Sorry I wasn't there to chase you trash AGAIN :S

BTW, for the folks who have not heard about my situation, how I got my new nickname, and why I won't be at Lodi, and do not expect to make it to Elsinore >:(... I am blogging about it on http://www.carepages.com/carepages/rickhough You have to register on the site to get to it, but they make it easy to set your profile for whether you get any spam from them or not.

Cuz he made a poor choice regarding who he was hanging out with that night. You shoulda been there, it wouldn't have happened. I shoulda been there, it wouldn't have happened.[:/]

Or the obvious, that they shouldna been there. My money sez those girls din't have any teeth.

Or the obvious, that they shouldna been there. My money sez those girls din't have any teeth.

Apparently the obvious wasn't so obvious, or they wouldn'ta been there, except the obvious seems to always elude one of the participants.[:/]
I agree, they prolly didn't have all their teeth, and I'd wager they're related to their boyfriends.

Is it just me or does anyone else think those were fixable?

The first one certainly it looks from the video that you had some time to do something and there was a window of opportunity before you started turning to equalize the links and thereby stop the turn and dive.

The second looked like you were pulling lower and didn't really give yourself enough time to deal with something like linetwists. Admittedly the second opening was assymetrical and turned itself into line/riser twists, but once again equalizing the links would help and could have been done from before the dive set in.

I'm just curious as to what the thinking is behind pulling so low in a wingsuit that you don't have the time to fix some linetwists?

Don't take this personally, but on the video you sound really derka-derka the whole time, maybe you want to consider getting a lower stress canopy?:P

For anyone that's interested, I have found this method of dealing with linetwists that works well in a wingsuit:

-as the deployment pulls you into a sitting position in your harness, check the links on your risers and see if the left and right ones are even
-if they are not, rotate your arms inwards so your palms face you. Now you should be able to reach the harness 3-rings even in big wingsuits. Grip your harness 3-rings. Don't wait for a turn to start, be pro-active.
-Now push the harness 3-rings together and even their level, this will even the risers and therefore the links too.
-Keep yourself narrow, hang relaxed from both harness 3-rings and let yourself untwist under the canopy.

I'd love to hear what other wingsuit pilots are doing to deal with linetwists. It would be nice to mention your canopy size, type, loading and experience also.

At the moment I am using my bigger canopy ([email protected]) for wingsuit jumps, but I have only done about 20 with it, about 75 with a [email protected] and 300+ with a [email protected]
This out of a total of just over 500 wingsuit jumps.

The only time I have cut away on a wingsuit jump was when I first went elliptical and was jumping a demo [email protected] at the Holiday Boogie and you were not allowed to deploy above 2500ft.
I did not know the 'secret' of equalizing the links asap at that point and I have not cut away since then.

Is it just me or does anyone else think those were fixable?

I think I hear a 3d dytter signal in both videos, and presuming there is a switched on, sponsored, AAD in that backpack...seems like a perfectly valid reason not to fiddle with it for longer than a second..

I'd love to hear what other wingsuit pilots are doing to deal with linetwists.

laugh...shoot em on video for a while..wave at other people around me "Dude...you seeing this!??" and then take my sweet time to undo my zippers and get the twists out..

Does help to fly a canopy thats a lot more suitable for wingsuit flying (spectres and more recently PD Storm), and (when i say bigger, not meaning 90-ish square feet:P) 150 sq/ft in size, so a tiny twist doesnt immidiately mean a rollercoaster ride from hell:P

- Small fun tip...for the more gay/calm twists...since you usualy have quite a bit of relative wind to work with, opening one armwing (if your not grabbing risers franticly) can help untwist easily. Though probably not in more agressive turns/twists like these..
- question: why arent we seeing hands on the risers? Or wasnt this in the new easy-reach armwings on the tonysuits? Curious to see those in actionB|

kick me!:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm just curious as to what the thinking is behind pulling so low in a wingsuit that you don't have the time to fix some linetwists?

More pronounced ground track and rush.

I'd love to hear what other wingsuit pilots are doing to deal with linetwists. It would be nice to mention your canopy size, type, loading and experience also.

I'm flying a Performance Designs Spectre 150 loaded at 1.13 lbs/ft². Usually harness input is all that is needed to slow (or stop) any spinning and prevent further line twists (and possibly begin removing current line twists).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

More pronounced ground track and rush.

huh?

The lower you are the more visible (apparent) your ground track and the ground rush is. Does this make sense?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The lower you are the more visible (apparent) your ground track and the ground rush is. Does this make sense?

yea..I think thats part of the reason some people choose to take up gear more suitable for low-pulls, and do this kinda stuff in BASE jumping?

Dont see what this has got to do with skydiving?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?