mccordia

loosing weight for wingsuit flying

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/all/front/m.php

Amazing weightloss example (though pushing it too far after the initial loss IMHO)

Which made me wonder, anyone in here ever loose a massive amount of weight (or alter your build in any other way) just for the purpose of being a better wingsuit pilot (or be able to fit a thick sweater underneath the tight wingsuit, made according to measurements taken in summer in a t-shirt?:P)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I once had a heavy tandem passenger (285 pounds) drop 60 pounds so that he could do AFF. He did fine. I also had a guy over 350 pounds lose about that same amount of weight so that we would allow him to do a tandem. Both said that they simply got off their lazy asses and actually did physical chores around the house, walked a mile or two every day, and stopped eating at McDonalds. It really doesn't take much if you stop being lazy.

Chuck

I've lost 6.5kg (14lbs) since starting to fly a wingsuit in 2003. Not specifically to fly the suit better, but found it to be a worthy inspiration.

Now 74ish kg (164lbs) from 80ishkg (177lbs)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I have a bad tendency to over eat when I am stressed. In 2003, I was working 2 jobs to pay for skydiving (up to 80hours a week) and I gained about 30 LBS. At the beginning of 2004 I lost 40 LBS for quite a few reasons one of which was to fall slower when wingsuit flying. Since then I have had a couple of stressful years back to back. At the beginning of 2006, I had gained all my weight back and in April I took off 20 LBS to help with my wingsuit fling. Once again by the beginning of 2007, I had gained it all back. I have now lost 30 LBS of it and have another 12 LBS to go. Most of the reason for starting the weight loss was based on my wingsuit fall rate (plus packing around this extra weight sucks). I have not yet been able to go and do a max flight in my wingsuit but from my past experiences, I know the weight loss really helps on fall rate.
My wife hates when I diet as I become in her words an ass :)Kirk

Back six years ago, I was up to 319, and through a combination of walking, weight lifting and eating breakfast got down to a 228. Gettign to go through the Static Line course was a major motivator for me.

Unfortunately I blew out a kneee and then had a couple of cornea transplants. That pretty much took me off of physical activity for a year. I made the mistake of compounding the problem by going back to college to finish my Bachelor's. So even when I could be active, I'd trained myself not to be.

I'm now actively working on getting rid of that all over again. My goal is to be a muscular and fit 200 by April '09. My Prodigy is actually been a great motivator, not to mention workout ;) , because I can tell that if I had just a little more physical strength and endurance, I could take my flights to the next level.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Haven't tried to lose weight for wingsuiting (but I think I should lose some of that freefall muscle :), but when I bought my own gear, I could not jump it because I had too high wingload for my experience level. So I started jogging and other activities to lose my weight in order to be able to jump with my own parachute sooner.
lego

Just this weekend at F&D someone said to me "You're 145lbs?! You're lucky. I wish I was that light". I said "being this light isn't as great as many would think. I can't gain any weight (believe me, I tried) so I am constantly having to fly very dirty (all wings completely collapsed). Some times it is difficult and very frustrating to stay down with other flyers without looking like a freaking pigeon. I have seriously been considering a weight vest for non-acrobatic jumps". I guess I could say I wish EVERYONE was MY weight/build B|

(extra info)
I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and fly an Acro (not a very big wing)

WINGSUIT ACROBATICS team O zone
ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

Ah! Me distes por donde me duele papa :D. But not even with arroz con habichuelas y lechon. But then again I've been eating potatoes, corn, chiken, etc. You know gringo food :P That stuff ain't very filling :|.

Good to hear from you mi hermanito. I miss mi Isla y el corillo. Saludos a todos.B|

Excuse mi Espanglish:)
Fido

Actually 145 is my max. Sometimes I weigh 140 or less (135 min)
I also climb.

WINGSUIT ACROBATICS team O zone
ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

Your new S6 is going to disown you if your leg does not get better soon.

We need you back in FlocKZN, it would be nice to fill the 210 with only wingsuits.

Francois is working hard to get into shape for AN72, I have also working on getting some strength and stamina back after my medical grounding!

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

Went from 79 kg to currently 76.5 kg in about 5 weeks. Just eating a bit better and training (running, swimming...) a bit more. I'm 1m75 tall.

Not loosing weigth for wingsuiting is specific, just need to loose the extra weigth I put on after two years of university (lots of food and drinks, and not so much exerciceB|).

See you on saturday.

I lost weight(about 17kgs) after September 2005. But that was not for wingsuit flying.

The trek at the ITW showed me the pathetic shape I was in...even the first few treks in Norway 06(at the lighter weight), I was the last to reach the exit...but once I got used to the footing on the rock...I could do pretty good pace. Oct 06 treks at the ITW from the taxi drop off point were 46 mins. That time can be reduced by a few more mins.

Kris.

Hey,

I am 5'9'' and just went from 183lbs (83kg) to 165lbs (75kg) in 6 weeks.. I did no sports at all and was just lazy..I just changed my eating habits (no meat, no candys, no softdrinks) and started to do some workout now. It's better to loose some kg's first and then start workout, because muscles are heavier than fat.
Now the big challenge is to hold the weight..
I didn't do it especially for wingsuiting, but for my fallrate in skydiving in general.. I'm happy with it and it was really easy..

HTH

Max

Just this weekend at F&D someone said to me "You're 145lbs?! You're lucky. I wish I was that light". I said "being this light isn't as great as many would think. I can't gain any weight (believe me, I tried) so I am constantly having to fly very dirty (all wings completely collapsed). Some times it is difficult and very frustrating to stay down with other flyers without looking like a freaking pigeon. I have seriously been considering a weight vest for non-acrobatic jumps". I guess I could say I wish EVERYONE was MY weight/build B|

(extra info)
I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and fly an Acro (not a very big wing)

Try being 6' (1.82m) and 130lbs (60kg). My flocking position is a cannonball.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ