badshow

Bird suit for a absolute beginner

Any recomendations on a good first wing suit that I wont be bored of in a couple of hundered jumps?

Just trying to narrow down a list and I dont want to end up with something super sonic!;)

If you are bored with a suit it's because you aren't trying new things. If all you do is fly flat, dumb, and happy, then you are really missing out. Oddly, some of what people used to term "beginner" suits are the ones most suited for aerobatics. Smaller wings make them easier to fly in unusual attitudes.

Chuck

Get a PF Phantom. no mylar (best not for beginners or the perennially uncurrent), but might as well have back vents.

It's a fairly easy suit to launch and fly, works well in flocks, doesn't have massive arm wings that interfere with a pull (as much as say a Vampire) and you can do some basic acrobatics on it when you get comfortable (front/back loops, barrel rolls and, of course, back flying!)... and when flown well, you can pass guys flying Vampires!

BTW - if you haven't jumped a wingsuit yet, even though you have over the minimum # jumps, I would still recommend getting some coaching just to start - even if it is just 1 jump! There's a lot of avoidable silly mistakes first-timers can make!

Richard
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I think it totally depends on what you want out of the suit. --- Best all around can do everything and is extremely easy to fly would be the Acro --- The Phantom will give more forward speed, but doesn't have backfly inlets to allow the suit to inflat on its back, and the Phantom has wingtip grippers which allow for more performance but when flying with your bros your all going to be flying at 80% or below so it doesn't matter

It really depends on what your looking for in a suit

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Get a PF Phantom. no mylar (best not for beginners or the perennially uncurrent), but might as well have back vents.

I am just filling out the ordering form for a phantom and did not know if I should order the Mylar option or not. What problems could it cause for a beginner?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I am just filling out the ordering form for a phantom and did not know if I should order the Mylar option or not. What problems could it cause for a beginner?

You have to learn how to fold it carefully and not stuff it in a bag as the mylar will bend and break if not taken care of. As for performance you'll probably not ever know the difference --- my advice would be no Mylar on your first suit and when you decide you want bigger wings (because bigger is better:ph34r:) order a top end suit and it will have the mylar in there

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Any recomendations on a good first wing suit

I see you are from the UK. Come on out to Sibson - 8-9th July for the wingsuit boogie being held there. Myself, Jari K. along with other wingsuit instructors will be more than happy to let you demo your heart out and give you some pointers. For your first wingsuit, you want something thats forgiving of poor body position and is easy to fly. Several good suit options have already been mentioned and with your jump numbers you would do equally well in either a BirdMan classic II, GTI or a Firebird as well. Just like canopies, demo as many wingsuits as you can and then choose what best suits your needs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The Phantom will give more forward speed, but doesn't have backfly inlets to allow the suit to inflat on its back, and the Phantom has wingtip grippers which allow for more performance but when flying with your bros your all going to be flying at 80% or below so it doesn't matter

Really? My order just hit the post and did order back inlets.

--- Best all around can do everything and is extremely easy to fly would be the Acro ---

Couple guys I know fly their Acros right along with a couple of S-3 flyers. You have to punch the S-3 to get away and its by no means a hellish extra speed you get on the 3's.

But what is this Phacro? Oh my head ia spinning now.

close Avery, but your link is wrong, here, I corrected it for you:

Bird suit for absolute beginner

To the original poster:

Have a look at what you have in the area for wingsuits instructors, go speak to them and actually check out their suits.

Getting input from more than one instructor will give you a better perspective, especially if they are affiliated with different manufacturers.

Pick one, do a WS first flight course with them and demo as many of their suits as you can.

I bought a S3 for my first wingsuit after flying Classics and GTi’s for 20 jumps, but that was against manufacturers recommendations and would’ve been a bad choice if I did not dedicate all my skydives to wingsuit flying for the next year and a half.

I see a lot of recommendations for specific suits here, I have 3 different suits from 2 manufacturers and the one that stands out as the most practical but still great performing is the Prodigy.

To be really honest though, any wingsuit can bore you if you’re not into it or you do not play around with it. On the flipside, no wingsuit will bore you in a few hundred jumps if you work it!

Lacing a suit on and off a rig gets pretty old quick though. So unless you have rig to dedicate to your wingsuit, the Prodigy is the least hassle option and that will matter.

Cya
Sam

Do like me and my boys did.

Order a V2 NOW,
(it was the V1 back then for us)

borrow a GTI for 10ish jumps,

and fly.
of course, this suit will take you a LONG time to get good at, but that keeps you on the edge.

A lot of birdpeoplesuitpilotguys are all about the jump number things, like every other disciplines :S but hey, do whatever you feel comfortable with, V1s are a bitch to fly, physicaly and skillwise, so try a GTI or something like it first.

but hey, thats just me.

goodspeed.

-SPACE-

I was having a chat about this very question with a few friends recently. Our consensus was to get an Acro. That way, when the jumper is skilled enough to move up to a large suit [V2/S6/whatever is out at that time], they'll still have a purpose-built acrobatics suit. Thus, two different suits for two very different types of flying.

But I really don't know shit, that was merely the consensus of a conversation involving one rookie wingsuit flyer and a handful of wannabes.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

You may as well go ahead and order a Velocity 79 as well.... :S

10 w/s jumps is a bit soon to move on to the V series/S6 end of the world IMHO
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Yeah they do recomend that dont they?

huh, they also recomend 1000 skydives before BASE jumping. shit. im screwed. the label on a navigator 280 recomends 50 ramair parachute jumps before useing it. i guess im a little sneaker arent I?

-SPACE-

oh yeah, and canopies are all the same, dont turn to low, and FLARE. that holds until you get into the 2/1 plus loading range. its all about keeping your head and being willing to land out.
I was jumping a Lighting 113 at 50 skydives, and a stilletto 120 at 70 skydives.

PS- Dont turn to low and flare.