mccordia

Pull Altitude (revived subject)

A few posts about this subject have been made here before, but they we're already dating back 2 to 3 years....so I thought I'd ask again..

What Altitude do you and/or your friends pull on wingsuit dives? (not counting base)

Most people I know (who have 100+ wingsuit dives) open at a 'normal' 3000 ft, and concider it okay/normal.

And looking back at the dives made at the Hercules Boogie 2004, we werent even allowed to open higher then 3000 ft, and everyone was okay with that....and pulling at that altitude I still saw people doing canopy flyby's

When you look at base, you actualy sometimes see people doing lower pulls at 'terminal' then would not be possible/survivable without a wingsuit...

There are a lot of pro's and cons for pulling at 'normal' altitude in a wingsuit-skydive..

pro:
- We have a slower fallrate
- when opening in full flight we burn up less altitude due to the forward speed (I notice a big difference compared to normal freefall openings on my spectre)
- a reserve procedure is exactly the same as normal (no need to cut wings first, you can reach your handles)

cons:
- you have the suit to deal with, and it may restrict you in some ways (kicking out a twist), a big deal especialy on smaller canopies.
- wearing the suit affects some people, in terms of adding a lot of stress/fear to the jump. Especialy true on the first dozen or more jumps.

What Altitude do you usualy pull...?
And if you pull high(er)...what's the reason?
If you are still in your first few jumps...would you open 'lower' if you have a few jumps more..? And at what altitude do you see people around you open?

And maybe an added question...if you are going to a Boogie, and pulling aboven 3000 ft is not allowed (like the Herc Boogie 04) would you stay on the ground?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

GTI 2000'

V-1 from full altitude, probably pull around 3500'-3000', the ONLY reason is I'm such a fat bastard that my arms are really fatigued by that altitude, and I want to get a strong pull. However, if I'm exiting with the V-1 from 5-6000' or lower, I'll fly it down to 2000'.
ANY NEW SUIT, I'm opening at 5000' until I get the pull dialed in...and YES ROBI, I am working on a much faster pull :S;)
Good topic, thanks
Blair

DISCLAIMER: This is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things, especially for the student fliers. I DO NOT recommend ANYONE opening at 2000' with a wingsuit. YMMV

What Altitude do you and/or your friends pull on wingsuit dives? (not counting base)

Not counting BASE:

My comfort level varies a lot, from 1500' to 4500' - depending on how current i am and what gear is on my back.

3k for a relaxed relatively current flight with Stiletto as a main, 2k if doing a fly-by or passing through a busy airspace.

I have recently added Skyhook to my Vector and feel much better down low... but wouldn't abuse it too much, considering much higher chances of a cutaway due to lack of altitude to deal with simple problems.

bsbd!

Yuri.

3.5k-4k because I was getting linetwists (just a few, not serious) somewhat frequently. I don't think I've had them in 50 jumps or so but I still pull above 3.5k usually. Even on normal skydives I never go lower than 3k.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hello,
Try take it a little lower! :o
With a WS the ground does not even start to come at you until 2.5K.
#1. I try to pull at an altitude that keeps the DZO happy.
#2. I usually pull at an altitude that keeps me happy.
Sometimes #1 and #2 differ a bit.
Nuff said.;)
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

5k.Still a newbie with 12 jumps.Last one got a hand full of wing.Worked thru that and dumped non symmetrically,got a riser across the neck and saw a few stars:S.Keeping it high for a while.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

dude, two nights ago i took it "to the good air" and i dont want to ever go there again. 1st ws jump base, brento, decided to "stick with what i know (boc deployment) and fumbled for the hackey until i was somewhat lower than i wanted to be. lets just say low enough....... to see birds in trees etc....... now im off for a second go after lots of advice and a change to the leg pouch..... should be jumpin in about two hours from now. fumbled pulls without silver handles are not fun. ws base definatly IS !!!!!!

d

Iwas taught by SM1 to pull no lower than around 4k. I usually start my pull sequence about 4.5k.
I have had a high speed spinning mal and can say you most likely will need that extra altitude (but maybe its just me)

But then again, what are YOU comfortable with, it is your choice.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1221
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Unless I am jumping a new suit, I pull at or around 3k. The couple of times that I have had some 'excitement' on opening (linetwist, toggle release, brief PC in tow), I have been very happy to have the extra altitude.

Simon

I pull in accordance with where I am relative to the LZ. So, if I'm close (and I try to plan the route so that I'm never far away), then I'll pull 2,500 - 3,000 ft. If I'm further away (boogie restrictions, or just allowing someone else to take care of the navigation :P) then I'll pull higher. I don't make special allowances now because I'm in the wingsuit. However, I most certainly did when I was starting out in the discipline, and I would recommend everyone to pull a little higher than they are accustomed to, until they become comfortable.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13