SkydiveNFlorida

PD126R

I think the question should be asked to the person(s) who said that. Ask the reasoning behind that claim. What was the claim exactly?

It sounds more like a personal opinion than a viable claim. There is nothing "less awsome" about the 126.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It sounds more like a personal opinion than a viable claim. There is nothing "less awsome" about the 126.

I think most people will agree that whatever reserve you get over your head wins the "awesome" award for the day:P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

This is the first time I have heard that statement.
I haven't had to use my reserve yet, but have jumped the demo ones in a couple of different sizes, and was impressed with them all!

It would be great if you could get more information as to what those people don't like about the 126 - the more details the better.
We do sell a whole bunch of 126's so I'd say that right there indicates that it's a pretty darn good canopy!

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

My first cutaway and first save was a PD126R. It is an awesome canopy!:) Opening was excellent.B|

Ken

I keep hearing more and more good things about PD reserves and you can bet the farm my next big purchase is a new reserve. The raven I have has got to go.....

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I heard this third hand. Someone said something to someone else, bla bla. So, I was wondering if there was any truth to it. . . apparently not. I will ask the person who relayed the info to me what they heard was not so good about it. I already have one on the way, and I trust that it will work just fine, especially since it's had one ride already and the person said it flew great. But, I am just curious as to what this person's reason was for saying that the pd126r wasn't the best pd reserve.

Angela.

I have heard similar things. However, what I ws told is that the 126 may not fly as well as the 113. I currently have a 126 and I have yet to fly this one (May it stay packed forever). But I have flown the test model and i think that you may just have some issues with a loaded 7-cell F-111 canopy adn peopl used to flying eliptical ZP and then having to use this. Don't really know.

BTW I ahve 1ride on a PD-160r and would NEVER put anything else in my reserve (at least from what I know right now).
Chris

My PD126 has taken excellent care of me on 2 separate occasions. Both times it flew so sweet that I wished it was my main!

Yes, I have flown other reserves, and the PD model has been the best by far.

In fact, every rigger I've talked to about the subject of reserves have endorsed the PD line as their first choice.

ltdiver
(and no, I don't work for PD)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

In fact, every rigger I've talked to about the subject of reserves have endorsed the PD line as their first choice

Elaborating on that, every rigger I've spoken to about reserves have endorsed PD as their only choice.

On a personal note, I love my PDR-143. I have a PD-126 (and am currently getting another) that I hope I do not have to use, but I am confident that they will treat me very well should the need arise.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I have heard a couple of people say this is not their best reserve. Is this really the case? What makes it any less awesome than their other reserves? Anyone else hear this?

I personally don't buy PD reserves because they are made outside of the USA (Honduras). There are plenty of equally good reserves made in America for the same price.

PD 126R is 1st class kit. I've seen only 2 used, one moderatly loaded, the other very highly loaded. Both landings were perfect.

Remember, as with most things, it's the pilot that makes a canopy look good. (or bad)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I know a couple of people that have said that the 126 is "not the best" reserve because it is harder for them to land than a 143 or 113. Keep in mind, though, these are people that are loading their reserves fairly high to begin with(exit weights of 180 and up)....so that has a large effect on flight characteristics. I have rides on PD, Tempo, and Raven-M reserves, and I have a PD160R in my rig. They are all good reserves, but I prefer the PD because of the extra reinforcements in the canopy. I think the others are more reinforced now than they were almost 3 years ago when I got this reserve...so that may not be a valid argument anymore...but I'm certainly happy with my choice.

The biggest thing for YOU to think about, IMO, is that the 126 is smaller than anything you have ever flown, AND it's an F-111 7 cell. 7 cell fly a lot different than 9 cell, and the difference between a 150 and a 126 is HUGE. I recommend jumping a PD143R as a main, then when you feel comfortable on that you may want to try the 126. Hopefully Kolla will be bringing some to the Bytch Boogie. Personally, I don't want to jump with a small reserve that I have not flown the canopy previously. I've jumped rigs with small reserves(113, 126) before, but I have to be sure I will have a nice, big landing area before I'll do that....so when I have jumped those rigs(usually just to try out a different type of main), I usually do a hop&pop right over the DZ, or just pull pretty high(which is SOP for me on a new main anyways) so I know that I can make it back to the DZ if I end up under reserve.

Mike

I have heard a couple of people say this is not their best reserve. Is this really the case? What makes it any less awesome than their other reserves? Anyone else hear this?

thx!

Ive had
Angela.

Ive had 6 rides on PR126 canopies, they opened great and landed softly. Ive also jumped the Pr106 and I was equally impressd. There is nothing I can find wrong with the PD reserve series, they are extremely well constructed, and fly great, and always a soft but quick opening.

That said, I think a PR 126 is Not the best reserve for you!
With your limited experience, you should definitely go with a bigger reserve. Pd has a demo plan where you can try out one hooked up like a main, I wouldnt even dream of buying one until I at least tried it out, they dont fly like a zp main. When the smallest main you have flown is a 150, why would you think of buying a smaller reserve? Think about landing off, in a tight area or in the woods, or in a small patch surrounded by power lines, do you think you can sink a canopy smaller than you ever jumped, that flies completely different than the canopies your used to, in and not have problem? I dont want to read about my friend Angela in the Incedents forum.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

The PDs land best, have the most reinforcement, are rated for higher deployment weight/speeds than others, and some effort from PD to obtain desireable TSOs (slinks are legal on PD reserves; and they were trying for their own 6-month cycle).

Give PD a call, they'll send you a demo with a bridle ring attached, and you can see for yourself.

Elaborating on that, every rigger I've spoken to about reserves have endorsed PD as their only choice

PD's are really the only reserves we sell here. Not that we wouldn't sell other makes, but most of our customers don't have a strong opinion on which reserve they want. So we recommend the ones we'd want in our rigs.

By the way, the customers that DO have strong opinions on reserves, want PD reserves. Often they have arrived at this opinion after jumping with a different make of reserve in their previous rig.

side note: On my one reserve ride, my PD 160 landed better than my Sabre 170 (clearly, it opened better too :P).

Sorry dude, you're wasting your breathe. She's made it quite clear that she is going to jump small canopies and there's nothing we can do to make her change her mind (previous threads).

Of even more concern is the dropzone letting her jump this stuff. No-one looking out for others there?

Pity.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Thanks for chiming in where you weren't asked to. The thread, again *sigh*:S, was not about what size I should be jumping in your opinion, but rather about this being a good reserve or not.

And of course he's only concerned for you....

A reserve may or may not be 'good', but a lot depends on who's going to have to fly it.....

Personally I bought a rig with a Spectre 150 and a Transfair 128 reserve (pre-Techno) when I had 75 jumps, giving me a WL of 1 for the main and 1.22 for the reserve. This is a common configuration for an Atom size 00, however you can also fit say a Merit 170 in there (also common!). The step down from a 150 to a 128 didn't seem to worry anybody (riggers, instructors, fellow skydivers), because the transfair is a good reserve. I'd not have been allowed say a tempo 120 as easily, I presume tho. I was allowed this reserve, because I mainly fly 7cells for a main (tri's, spectres). However, the first time I ended up under my reserve, I had already downsized to a spectre 135 and a safire 135 (126 sqft). Really, the reserve was no problem. However, I was glad I didn't have to use it when I had only 75 jumps, and was only getting used to a 150, never mind had I been coming from a 9cell 170...

Right now, at > 400 jumps, I can land my reserve tippy-toe, and have, twice, no prob.

Problem is, you may or may not get enough jumps/experience in before you have no choice but to use that PD126.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Don't post here if you don't want my opinion. It's as simple as that.

By the way it's not just my opinion anymore thanks to the USPA. Care to reveal the wingloading, your weight, etc?

Yeah, thought so.

And to answer you're question - No it's not a good reserve for you, but I doubt you'll listen to that too.
Performance Designs Factory Team

Don't post here if you don't want my opinion. It's as simple as that.

By the way it's not just my opinion anymore thanks to the USPA. Care to reveal the wingloading, your weight, etc?

Yeah, thought so.

And to answer you're question - No it's not a good reserve for you, but I doubt you'll listen to that too.

I'll post where I please. this is not your forum. I did not come here for YOUR advice on which reserve to fly, I came for information as to why this was or was not a good reserve. Thankfully, I think i've found the answer I was looking for.. yes, it is perfectly fine.

That's fine, I read the article you posted from uspa, I don't care to argue about it. I'll do as I please until my freedom is taken by force.

The wingloading/weight/etc, are none of your business, this thread was not about which reserve I should fly, it was about how good a reserve this is period.

My question was not is this a good reserve for me, but thank you for twisting my question to fit your answer.

Angela.