kimgriffin

Wash your BM suit - PLEASE!

Working for BirdMan over the past few years I have noticed (and smelled) that many people don't realize they can wash their BirdMan suits.

The suits can be washed in any normal washing machine, gentle cycle with normal color safe detergent. Remove any cables and your hook knife before washing. Hang it to dry. (No dryers.)

The same goes for the Pantz.

Happy, long and smell-free flights! :P

~Kim Griffin
-Kimberly Griffin

Hehe, I was worried about washing the suit until you told me to wash yours ... Cold water, light detergent, removed everything and it came out nice! Thanks for letting me try it on yours first, lol;)

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I did a naked wingsuit jump in my GTi on a very hot day. Then lent it out to two people. Then I washed it.

thats just sick and wrong!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I can put it in the washing machine? Cool!

That sounds much more effective and easier than what I've been doing: Hopping around in the lawn sprinkler while flapping the wings.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I washed my GTI last night and I'm man enought to admit it: I was scared. Oh yes.

The good news is that it didn't come out all melted and deformed and f*&£$ed up. Infact it came out great :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I washed my GTI last night and I'm man enought to admit it: I was scared. Oh yes.

The good news is that it didn't come out all melted and deformed and f*&£$ed up. Infact it came out great :)
Gus

Just something to note, washing your suit isn't going to kill it - however every time you wash it you decrease the tinsle strength of the thread. So while your suit is still fine when you pull it out, it is slightly decreasing it's longevity.

:)

it is slightly decreasing it's longevity

Has anyone noticed any damage (loose threads, seams) after washing their suit a number of times?

Gus

I've washed my suits 2 or 3 times and haven't noticed anything, but that original statement came from Robert himself :)

On the other hand, not washing your suit or yourself, helps in the ride to altitude, when you need room to zip up. And the body oils are a swell lubricant for the zippers. Plus you don't have to inform the pilot that you are on board, he/she can tell pretty soon. And consider the contrail if you're leading a flock.
All positives for staying aw'natural.
But you may have to consider being asked to ride to altitude on the camera step. (outside).

OK, I'm going on trust here.....

This last weekend, I landed off DZ by a bit. (Yes, I managed to fly myself to a bad spot.) I had a wide choice of outs, but only one was not the middle of a big, sloppy, mud pit of a field. It was a small grass strip next to some strip barns on a cattle farm (stink? Whew!)

I, of course, chose the grass, not taking into account that this was the only spot where I would most likely encounter severe rotors from the buildings. Boy, did I! These are actually low buildings, a good 10 feet or more lower than our hanger.

All went well until about 20 feet when I initiated my flare. There was no flare. About the same time I started my flare, the canopy stopped flying and just dropped me out of the sky, about 20 feet straight down. This was quite visible by looking at the divots my knees left in the soft grass. They were pretty much straight down. Luckily, I'm fine, but it left some pretty nasty brown crap on the suit.

It's in the washer right now, and I'm running on faith in your posts here.... [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

OK, I'm going on trust here.....

This last weekend, I landed off DZ by a bit. (Yes, I managed to fly myself to a bad spot.) I had a wide choice of outs, but only one was not the middle of a big, sloppy, mud pit of a field. It was a small grass strip next to some strip barns on a cattle farm (stink? Whew!)

I, of course, chose the grass, not taking into account that this was the only spot where I would most likely encounter severe rotors from the buildings. Boy, did I! These are actually low buildings, a good 10 feet or more lower than our hanger.

All went well until about 20 feet when I initiated my flare. There was no flare. About the same time I started my flare, the canopy stopped flying and just dropped me out of the sky, about 20 feet straight down. This was quite visible by looking at the divots my knees left in the soft grass. They were pretty much straight down. Luckily, I'm fine, but it left some pretty nasty brown crap on the suit.

It's in the washer right now, and I'm running on faith in your posts here.... [:/]

Don't you work? :)

What is this 4 letter word called work you speak of?

;)

I've been laid off since July 28th, and I'll go back to work right after I finish remodeling my house. I'm hoping that will be about a month or less now. Just in time to get in a truck and drive around the warm parts of the country again, BirdMan suit and rig in tow. :)
It's your life, live it!

Note:

It's out of the wash, and hanging to dry now.

The back (polycotton?) pilled up a bit, but other than that it looks pretty damn good. I just wish whoever it was that owned it before me, and I'm assuming before Phreezone, had washed it like that after an obvious butt-slide landing.

If you dirty one up, wash ASAP, or they will stain.
It's your life, live it!

Resurecting a great thread...

As Im taking my wingsuit out of the washing machine atm, maybe a friendly reminder to all of you flying your suits every weekend (or more)...suits DO start to smell if you jump, sleep, sit, fart and pack on then enough times..

Though the concept of washing and cleaning might be new to some...do give it a try...;)

And a small edit. If you're afraid of damage to your suit, put it in a pillow-casing (or whatever you native english speaking folks call emB|) or other bag/sack in the washingmachine...

And remember to turn of the dryer;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Or... if you're worried, hand was in the sink with a SMALL amount of washing detergent.

Rinse thoroughly through, then drip dry over the bath B|

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I just washed my GTI (bought used last week) in the washing machine (gentle cycle, cold water with tide). The inside coating of the suit peeled off. I'm a little bit pissed right now. Is it gonna effect the performance of the suit ? It's the same coating used in some backpack to waterproof them.

Most older suits loose a bit of the plasticy inside coating layer over time.
It doesnt seem to do a whole lot (if anything at all) to degrade performance.
And in a lot of the older suits Ive seen (classic II, GTI's, S1/S3), this layer also peeled off over time, just due to use..

Most newer suits are made of parapak, which is far more wind-permeable then the older balloon zero-p.

Also seeing its the inside coating you're talking about, I would be more then surprised if there is any visable or noticable change the suits performance.

Aside from loosing a layer of invisble dryed poo-smell and sweat stains from previous owners;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Most newer suits are made of parapak, which is far more wind-permeable then the older balloon zero-p.

I would hope they would be more wind IMpermiable than the older stuff. :P

I thought the permiability was not the issue, but the durability, as parapack is more durable than balloon zp in the long run.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News