kimgriffin

Wash your BM suit - PLEASE!

Judging on the number of views on this thread washing wingsuits really has a lot of interest / concern.

In my experience:

- I use a mesh style laundry bag that lets the water and detergent get in without letting any off the internal part of the washing machine come into contact with the suit. I use Woolite detergent, cold water, and gentle wash cycle. Usually I run a second rinse cycle using only water to make sure all the detergent is out.

- If you happen take a really bad "digger" in mud or grass off or on the DZ; I have had great success using Spray and Wash getting these stains out. Use the Spray and Wash on the stains before the suit ( in its bag ) goes into the wash.

- After letting my wingsuit drip dry in the shade I apply a light coat of Scotch Guard ( Red Can ) fabric protector. This keeps any kind of dirt, dust, sweat, grime, etc. from taking a "hold" in the fabric. If you take a "digger" you can usually take that part of the suit to a sink or hose on the DZ and with a wet cloth get a lot of the stain out before it can "set"; the Scotch Guard really helps with this.

I don't wash my wingsuits all that often like I would a regular jumpsuit ( durability reasons ) but only when really needed and its usually from of a long weekend of jumping in really hot and humid weather where you wind up drenched in sweat and everything you wear winds up smelling and you'd better wash it!

At first I was really worried and scared about washing something I had paid so much for and like many others didn't want to f&%k it up; but everything has worked out great so far.

I have also found that my 2nd and 3rd wingsuits in parapack are far more durable and stain/dirt resistant than my first wingsuit made of balloon zero p material. Neither material seems "cooler" than the other in very hot weather.

- I use a mesh style laundry bag that lets the water and detergent get in without letting any off the internal part of the washing machine come into contact with the suit. I use Woolite detergent, cold water, and gentle wash cycle. Usually I run a second rinse cycle using only water to make sure all the detergent is out.

This is the absolute best way ( and recommended way )to wash your suit if you're using a machine. The other recommended method is in a sink/basin/tub by hand with Woolite,rinse and drip dry on a plastic hanger in the shade.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Wash your BM suit - PLEASE!

OK, before Cochstedt I just did it. Washed the suit wrapped in a plumeau case with a wool program.

The result shocked me!
This memorable expensive scent I invested a lot of money in and suffered in overheated planes.... It is just gone! :o

I'll have to work hard on getting it back during the boogies! B|
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I have washed *all* my wingsuits a number of times. Cold water, gentle cycle, 1/2 the usual amount of detergent, hang dry on a plastic hanger. Lay a towel under the suit (because it's going to drip) and let a fan blow on the suit to speed the drying process. Once dry, I use about 1/2 a can of ScotchGuard to restore some of the "crispness" to the suit. It also helps stop stains from becoming permanent. If you spray too much ScotchGuard, it will leave a chalky residue as it dries, but a quick exposure to freefall will remove most of it. Spray until the material is slightly wet, and allow for plenty of ventilation ... the solvent in ScotchGaurd is really potent!

BTW, while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt if you smelly f**ks considered taking a bath too. Or maybe even a high colonic. Inside and out ... you people stink! ;););)

...never thought about spraying ScotchGuard on my suit....think I am going to try it. Thanks for thre tip.

BTW, while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt if you smelly f**ks considered taking a bath too. Or maybe even a high colonic. Inside and out ... you people stink!

<=====LOL...too funny

Hey ... concerning storage ... if it's a suit that's not on my rig, it usually lives, rolled up, in some kind of bag. Roll the suit up with a dryer sheet in it to keep it smelling nicer. I do the same thing with my helmet to keep it from smelling funky (since you can't help but sweat in it here in Florida). Just stuff a dryer sheet in it when you close it up in the helmet bag.

If your suit has mylar ribs and you're worried about storage, simply sell the damn thing to someone else before the mylar breaks (because despite your best efforts, it will) ;)

My 2 newest suits (SM1 and P2Z) have dark leather booties and white legs... I have been told that if I toss these in the washing machine same as I have with my S3 in the past, the bootie color will run and stain the legwing. Can anybody comment on this?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Take it to a dry cleaner. A year or so ago on my way home from a boogie I had to make a violent evasive maneuver in my jeep to avoid a car accident. I dodged the crash but the violent bouncing of the jeep dislodged a container of oil in the back, which ruptured and got all over my gear. I have a bright white and blue S-6 which was completely saturated in motor oil. Washing it repeatedly was useless. I eventually took it to a dry cleaner hoping they could save the suit. When I got the suit back, it looked like it was NEW. That suit is old and tattered anyway, but I got it back looking so bright white I couldn't believe my eyes. Dry cleaners can work miracles.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Believe it. I tipped em an extra 20 bucks. So far as I was concerned the suit was destroyed. When the dry cleaners were done with it there was no trace of oil visible in it, plus they'd gotten out every scuff, dirt and grass stain in it. Even the patches were gleaming white. Aside from still being a bit frayed and tattered in places the thing looked brand new fresh out of the box. The process doesn't seem to have harmed the suit's structural integrity any either. Hasn't torn anywhere since, and I've put another 300+ jumps on it since then. Should be good for years, yet. The results the dry cleaners delivered were unreal. I would have thought it impossible to get the oil out of oil soaked ZP, but they did it.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.