sebcat

Cross connectors

Hello,

I want a pair of cross connectors for this season. I'm thinking a piece of dacron line between the hard links (front/rear ofc), but I want to check with you guys first. I've never seen a cross connector up close. Anyone got pictures, measurements, tips to share?

//Sebastian

A pair of strong pull-up cords tied securely between front and back hardlinks should do the job. That's what I had on my old L160 (rental), but I haven't gotten around to fixing it on my new (for me) canopy.

Just be sure not to make them TOO short, ideally they should be nearly tight when flying the canopy.

RedundantRigger

Sounds like it would be best to tie em on while under canopy?

Might be safer to blow it up on the ground and have a friend measure the length. Or, if you prefer, go ahead and waste a jump ticket on a dive to tie on cross connectors. ;)

Bridal may be a little heavy (depending on the bridal) Remember you have to stow it when you pack it. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

It would be a whole lot simpler, the next time the canopy is unpacked, to measure the distance inside the grommets on the slider. Front to back. They limit how far apart your risers can go. Measure and add whatever excess you need to tie them off. Have fun.

texascrw

It would be a whole lot simpler, the next time the canopy is unpacked, to measure the distance inside the grommets on the slider. Front to back. They limit how far apart your risers can go. Measure and add whatever excess you need to tie them off. Have fun.

Yes it limits how far apart they can go, but not how much apart they normally go.
All my canopies, and all videos I have seen, the slider is not streched out front to back.

I'm not a fan of using pull-up cords for cross connectors. They might work ok to get you through the day, but they aren't a good permanent solution. I have personally seen cross connectors break that were made out of Type III tape (ribbon type pull-up cords), and have seen knots come untied. I have no idea what material the new kind of pull-up cords are made out of, but I wouldn't count on it being any stronger.

1" Type IV square weave is more than twice as strong as binding tape, it handles wear better, and when the formation gets heavy it is more comfortable for the personal holding the grip.

My risers have cross connectors tacked on between the front and back, made of the same material as the risers themselves, but just one layer. Works great. Just tuck them in between the risers when packing them into the rig and you'd never notice they were there, if the color is the same, that is. They were installed by my master rigger.

nolhtairt

***I gotta ask the OP.... Why cross connectors? What are you doing that requires a cross connector? Not a criticism, just curious...

To have something secure to hook your feet in.

Really!?! Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

******I gotta ask the OP.... Why cross connectors? What are you doing that requires a cross connector? Not a criticism, just curious...

Be a dick if you want to. Makes no difference to me. ;)

topdocker

I gotta ask the OP.... Why cross connectors? What are you doing that requires a cross connector? Not a criticism, just curious... top

Craig, my knowledge and experience with CFS is dated. We used to assume that "stirrups" (front to back cross connectors) were very helpful for large stacks and planes. Is this not the case now?

A cross-connector is a strap that goes in between the front and back risers and keeps your feet from taking the slider back up the lines if the stack gets heavy below you.

Gary - cross-connectors are still useful in big stacks, its just that no one does big stacks anymore. Its all diamonds..

faulknerwn

Gary - cross-connectors are still useful in big stacks, its just that no one does big stacks anymore. Its all diamonds..

Got it. I always found that they were useful in even 2 stacks or planes, I suppose because back then we used a variety of canopies and wing loadings. Maybe everything is very balanced now.

Got it. I always found that they were useful in even 2 stacks or planes, I suppose because back then we used a variety of canopies and wing loadings. Maybe everything is very balanced now. now that made me laugh out loud. " very balanced " crw jumpers :D good one Gary

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

nolhtairt

*********I gotta ask the OP.... Why cross connectors? What are you doing that requires a cross connector? Not a criticism, just curious...

Be a dick if you want to. Makes no difference to me. ;)

Wow.....

I bet you spent hours coming up with that retort! So scathing!

Guess I won't make any more comments or suggestions here then.

Jump more, post less!