bbarnhouse

4-way VRW at US Nationals

Melissa Nelson invited a bunch of folks to participate in a 4-way VRW "mock meet" at US Nationals in Perris.
It was met with great enthusiasm as 7 teams came together at the spur of the moment to give it a try.
Melissa as always had everything prepared from draws to judges and an abundance of encouragement for all.
As the three rounds progressed, the buzz on the DZ was all about wanting to the see the video. We were not disappointed, it was wickedly awesome!
The opening banquet/award ceremony contained footage of the 3 top teams and it was nothing short of amazing!!
I will be working with Melissa over the course of the next year to see about hosting the "test event" in Eloy.
This is so exciting and something that many folks will be able to join in on.
Way to go Melissa!:)

I can ask Travis to post some of our footage. We'd all never jumped together before (pickup team) and placed 4th by 1 point (nuts!!) but had a great time doing it all.

We have no intention whatsoever next year to do anything other than 4way.

Blues.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

That is sooo awesome! But I doubt that it will become an official discipline (in europe) because there are only a handful of freeflyers that posess the flying skills needed for this incredibly looking discipline. Sure, I would love to see more of it.. From my own experience I know how hard it is to train comp. freefly with 2 people together, but with 2 more? WOW! I send out my biggest props and respect for the flyers.. Way to go!

Max

That is soooo cool. I personally think that freeflying really needs this structure. It gives people easily measurable goals to achieve. I love it.

I believe Olav coined the term freeflying because of its lack of structure...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Those videos make 4way vrw look like it would be fun to do but personally I like watching 2way teams do "pretty" stuff.

Like babylons freeround with its eery grace and the way they leave the screen, their exit leaving you with a sense you just saw some strange creatures from som tryptamine world. Was that for real ??? Did I just see that ??

I hope artistic freefly doesnt die off.

Now the potential for artistic routines with 4+ otherworldly creatures choreographed to music that they all hear via those noise cancellation devices. Thats what I wanna see!
Yahoo Serious

Better off just not saying anything rather than saying your not saying anything.

I wonder who the first draft pic was...?..who is the sponsor?...and I wonder who are these mysterious flyers anyway? sheesh....not really.

NFL is right...nice fckn life. Just get out there and enjoy flying.

Hey Brie-

Can I be on your 4way team in Atlanta?

-Chris Cowden
http://www.badfishfreefly.com

oh geez, I didn't even see this! Well, you know by now that I'm videoing for Brooke and Alli's team at SA. I wish I was good enough to compete, but my skills are not quite there to bang out points like that....Maybe next year....

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I believe Olav coined the term freeflying because of its lack of structure...

Damn, another person got his narrow definition of the sport all wet again? :P

and the old dogs thought that passing batons was just a fad....and the baton passers skoffed at the skydivers trying to build formations....and the belly flyers mocked the first freeflyers....

From someone who loves to plan a FF jump and learn new skills rather than just lurk each other and stick out our tongues.....

VRW is great for those that aren't into disorganized improvisational flying. It was great for RW and it'll be even greater for freeflying. Why? it'll raise the skill levels of those participating to new heights.

Why begrude someone a flying structure that makes them happy and challenged? Especially those with the exceptional skills to handle it. Who does it hurt? No one forces an 'old school' beginner type FFer into comps of 4-way VRW any more than belly flyers are forced to do dive pool 4-way instead of belly airbaths (called by some "fun dives", but I don't find them more fun than cracking out a good skilled 4way). It's just another choice.

This will create the best body flyers ever. I can't wait to see what these skydivers do next with their new set of skills. God, I wish I was good enough and had 3 others good enough to do one of those blocks.

The sport continues to grow.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants