lewmonst

Just when I thought I'd seen it all... Helmet fell off.

...in cameraflying, that is, this one tops them all. I am now a member of the club... My riser caught my latch just right and my helmet fell off. Landed on a road. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. Luckily it was just the helmet and video camera. It had a good life...

[:/]

So who else had had this happen? I know of a few...

peace,
Karen
http://www.exitshot.com

Damn.....[:/]

talk about having mixed emotions....

good deployment...completion of a nice freefall.B|
and then... click....and away goes what truly amounts to an extension of our very bodies.....
the video cam. and helmet.....
and then that helpless and frustrating feeling, as it falls out of sight...I feel for you...

I had my wonderful Trv-20 disconnect from from my helmet at opening,,, about 4 years ago....( sunset load, sunday night)

stayed the night at the DZ in order to look for it the next morning...
( i vowed i would NOT leave it to rot away, alone and unloved)

hunted in a nearby woods, for about 2 hours,,,, and finally did find it... all smashed up....:(:(

any chance your homeowners insurance might cover such damage???? i hope so.

attached is a pic. of me,,, with the aforementioned Sony camcorder....a day or so later...

jmy

My FTP fell off too, I was lucky enough to catch it as it was coming off and I stopped its freefall. I just felt something weird during the opening so I was in the process of reaching for my risers so I moved my hands towards my helmet and grabbed it just as the bone slipped out of the buckle and was able to grab it just as it fell, the camera lenses slammed into my chest and I got a nice closeup of my jumpsuit.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I lost my FFX w/ PC105 at Rantoul '05. (It actually happened the day after you got your nice Parachutist centerfold shot of our inflatable gator muff dive.)

On the jump where I lost the helmet it was a funneled inflatable jump (yeah, too many inflatables that week I guess) and I was supposed to hold the thing if it went to crap. It went to crap and people still held on. During the whole ordeal someone must have grazed my chinstrap and *whoosh* byebye helmet.

I searched all over for it, even did a flyby in the chopper where I thought it might be... no luck. Someone ended up finding it and turning it in to manifest. 105 and my ProTrack were both dead, but luckily the helmet was salvagable (minor cracks in the shell but otherwise fine). Luckily I was at Rantoul and the L&B dude swapped my busted ProTrack for a brand new one. Got a used 105 off ebay for pretty cheap and I was back in business.

I`m stupid and I can`t figure out how can an FTP fall off even when the latch i in "open position? It is still attached with that second "lock" (sorry, I don`t know how to say it in English :P) Can anyone post a picture?

dudeist skydiver #42

I`m stupid and I can`t figure out how can an FTP fall off even when the latch i in "open position? It is still attached with that second "lock" (sorry, I don`t know how to say it in English :P) Can anyone post a picture?

The newer FTP's have a metal bracket over the ratchet that the previous generation did not have and as such a well placed riser slap could strike the ratchet and cause it to open. (I know that's what happened on Phreezone's helmet.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I had a riser hit the latch on my ftp in a competition jump directly over the hanger. Luckily I caught it with my knees. One ohter time I hit the door on climb out and popped the latch. Reached up and caught the helmet, but knocked the still off in the process. Climbed back in, snapped it back on, climbed out and shot the tandem video. Got on the ground and apologized that they wouldn't be getting any stills [:/]. Have since created my own latch protection system.

Please post a photo of your protection, I really hate my FTP not having one but I also don't have the $800 to get a new helmet just for the protection cover. I really don't have the $2000+ to replace all the gear if it pops off on accident though.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I have FTP like the one in the pic1 and, if I`m correct, you were explaining about FTP in pic2? Right?

That is correct... My FTP is like the one in pic1... The previous generation is like the one in pic2.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have FTP like the one in the pic1 and, if I`m correct, you were explaining about FTP in pic2? Right?

That is correct... My FTP is like the one in pic1... The previous generation is like the one in pic2.

Looks like Bonehead hasn't updated the web site picture for its FTP, but has the latch protector pictured on its FTN.

Both have the protection in place, it's just the picture that needs updating.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Karen,

Mind if I ask what orientation your head was in when the riser slapped your helmet like that? I'm wondering if the risk can be eliminated by holding head down near chest during deployment.

Same question to Phreezone if you read this.

I'm jumping a new Sky Systems flat top with a semi-exposed latch. I love it and I'd like to make sure it stays on my head this summer! The latch is recessed so maybe it's not at risk, but there's no cover over it, so who knows. Here's an image
http://www.skysystemsusa.com/helmets/images/wes-pro_002.jpg

Any thoughts?

Happened to me too - lost over $4,500 worth of shit since it vanished in to a swamp, never to be seen again.

I made my own set-up to secure the helmet to my head while still having the ability to cut it way. I'd hate to have that happen again B|

Action©Sports

Karen,

Mind if I ask what orientation your head was in when the riser slapped your helmet like that? I'm wondering if the risk can be eliminated by holding head down near chest during deployment.

Holding your head down near chest during deployment is a bad idea. -> In case of a hard opening this could cause you serious spinal injury..

Intresting thread anyways.. I wonder how ofter people have lost their helmets due to the cutaway systems on their helmets. (cutaway system malfunctioning of someone opening it accidently)

Holding your head down near chest during deployment is a bad idea. -> In case of a hard opening this could cause you serious spinal injury..

Actually chin down against chest works well for dealing with hard openings. Your head doesn't have the ability to create the whiplash effect because it's already pulled down as far as it's going to go. I've used that method when deploying hard-opening crew canopies, while wearing stills/video on my head.

The vidiot's that I know of who have any special technique for the neck during deployment all are using the same way. They throw out the PC and then put their hands under the chin to prevent the down forward momentum of the head in case of a slammer. No one I have spoken to are bending the head forward and putting the chin toward the chest.

I have NO idea of what way is to prefer though...

Myself don't do anything but a normal deployment even when I know that my Lotus will bitchslap me every now and then... But I don't have a still cam on my helmet, only my HC5 on a Tonfly Diablo.
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

I strongly disagree.. Under no circumstances would I want to have anything else than a straight spine alignment on opening.. B|

I agree with straight as in head not turned right or left. But if your head is up during deployment, where is it going to go during a hard opening? It'll still be moving fast toward earth, while your body is not.

Hands on chin reduce your surface area, which increases your fall rate during opening. I've tried that idea too and it didn't produce good results for me.

Head tilted forward with the weight beyond the center point is asking to hyperextend the neck during a hard opening, keeping the weight centered will lead to compression. The neck and spine is better equiped to deal with compression then hyper extention.

Keep the head level and looking out. Looking down or up is the worst thing you can do in a hard opening situation.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com