efs4ever

Bonehead Flat Top Pro Just Arrived from Out West

Nice. :)
Baked all my inserts and wore the dam thing around for thirty minutes.

Put Stroboframe plates for front mounted PC video and rear mounted EOS 20d.

I still have to fit the cam eye, ring sight and bite switch.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I swaped the sides my set up was on because otherwise the Remote switch sticks out and is a lot easier to break off in the still body. Also its easier to break the wire by making that bend right off the body. I fried a switch for my 10D that way already.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I swaped the sides my set up was on because otherwise the Remote switch sticks out and is a lot easier to break off in the still body. Also its easier to break the wire by making that bend right off the body. I fried a switch for my 10D that way already.

I will be drilling some more holes. They make rubber thingys to hold cables in place. There's a lot of room inside for coiled cords.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

Hey, that looks fine...

I was also considering getting a FTP, but I fear that a setup like this is to tall in a small cessna aircraft...?
Can you estimate how far the cam setup sticks out measuring from the top of your head?
Currently I have a FF2 with sidemounted video and top mounted 20D and I think this by far not so tall.....

Btw: I think, mounting the Video in front of the EOS will make it difficult to use a wider lens, like 10-22 which is much bigger and maybe the front of the Video will be in the picture when you completely zoom out on 10-22...

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

but I fear that a setup like this is to tall in a small cessna aircraft...?

Lots of video guys have made lots of jumps wearing a FTP with multipul cameras on them out of 182s with no problem. You just have to be mindful of all the things you can hit, catch and bump with your helmet while getting out of the plane, just like anything else.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, like Dave said, you will bump it once ore twice, but you will quickly remember to duck. The problem I have with my FTN in a cessna, is I'm so close to tandems in thge plane, if I want to video their face while the helmet is on, I must look at their chest.B|

steveOrino

Right, I've got about 300 jumps on my FTP so I know about storing cables and a lens cloth in the cavern. ;)The issue I've seen is that even though the 20D uses the stereo plug and thats a lot more durable then the N3 Plug on the 10D, sticking out of the side of the camera is good place to bump into things. Look at how many people on here have broken LANC cables off in their Sony Video cameras and those are usually fully protected.

Putting the Stills on the right puts the remote jack more centered in the helmet and a whole lot harder to accidently bump or snag.

I am wondering how wide of a lens you can put on that with out the video camera showing up in the stills.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I see your point. I've looked at moving it over, but the other end of the camera hangs over the side. I'm going to move in the direction of minimal cable exposure and protection of the plug.

I bought a FTP because I hated side boxes. Risers always found mine.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

yeah... know it can be done of course. But is the FTP really so much better that it is worth to handle with the increased size of the setup?
I never tried one, so I am asking for opinions...

alex

that is a funny comment.. the Flat Top Pro really isn't all that big, it is just a full face helmet with a flat surface on top.

The Flat Top Pro really is that much better. The weight of your equipment is distributed really well over your whole head, it fits like a glove, and is overall just the most comfortable camera helmet I have ever tried.

I started off with the Bonehead Full Box helmet (predecessor of the FTP) and then upgraded to the Flat Top Pro. These helmets are AMAZING.

No doubt about it, the FTP is an awesome helmet, but it really is bulky, as are pretty much all of BH's products. It probably has to do with the one size shell fits all to keep production costs down deal. Mine easily could have been 2 inches narrower, not to mention an inch or 2 less in height. Compared to the Wes helmets or some of the other customs out there, there is no way you can say the FTP isn't a big helmet. Awesome...but big.

Canuck

wouldn't putting the stills on the right side also give you access to the LCD screen of the video, which would be beneficial for adding effects in the plane and centering your subject while holding the helmet at odd anglesa? i just think having the stills on the right would make a lot more sense for multiple reasons.

I recently came across a reasonably priced VX2000. I also have a box-shell and of course it won't fit because of the large mic in front.
can a ftp accomadate a VX?
it looks like ftp will be my next purchase. it never stops.
stay safe,
jim oke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

I recently came across a reasonably priced VX2000. I also have a box-shell and of course it won't fit because of the large mic in front.
can a ftp accomadate a VX?
it looks like ftp will be my next purchase. it never stops.
stay safe,
jim oke

The FTP fits whatever you want.. it's just a flat mounting surface.
I haven't seen the VX2000 jumped, but I saw the Sony PD170 and VX1000 jumped, as well as the new Sony HD (FX-1) and the Canon XL2

OK, How's this? I've never put together a camera rig without some extra holes. I used one of the earlier ones in the shift. I love the BIG space in the forehead part. There's about three feet of cable stashed in there. :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

Have you jumped it yet? Good luck with it.

I bought one earlier this year and I absolutely hated jumping it. I ordered it custom sized for my head. On the ground it fit snugly but comfortably. At altitude the liner swelled up so much that I could barely put my face in it. Once I got it on it felt like it was going to pop my head like a zit! I could seriously hear and feel the blood pumping in my head. It was by far the most uncomfortable helmet I've ever worn. I put about 100 jumps on it and it never got any better.

Last week I traded it for a base rig so at least it wasn't a complete waste of money.B|

I never hear of anybody else complaining about it so maybe I'm just being a big fat pussy.

Seriously, I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
[:/]

Have you jumped it yet? Good luck with it.

I bought one earlier this year and I absolutely hated jumping it. I ordered it custom sized for my head. On the ground it fit snugly but comfortably. At altitude the liner swelled up so much that I could barely put my face in it. Once I got it on it felt like it was going to pop my head like a zit! I could seriously hear and feel the blood pumping in my head. It was by far the most uncomfortable helmet I've ever worn. I put about 100 jumps on it and it never got any better.

Last week I traded it for a base rig so at least it wasn't a complete waste of money.B|

I've had a bonehead half rack for years, so I know about the pressure. To me that spells "The dam thing is going to be there, even through the opening from hell."

You can reduce the pad size inside. In my case, I could trim some wookie hair. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

agreed... you had/have my original FULLBOX helmet... I really liked that helmet. Then I got a Bat-Rak... jumped the living snot outta that for awhile and then got a FTP... sadly a couple weeks ago it had an untimely end (see photo)B|

Now I have a FTN that I've been customizing... no cameras yet so I can't take a photo of it to post... let's just say carbon black with full on chrome hotrod flames BOYO!

Sigh...

Bonehead camera helmets just rock!

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

filming a non-paid tandem (go figure I lost the thing on a freebie>:() with a new camera setup (Panasonic 3CCD) and I got a slammer opening... helmet at all my goodies rip off my head and smash to the ground in the center of a horse arena 50yds from where some cowboys were team roping.

I figure it was a combo deal... slammer opening, combined with padding that had just deteriorated over time and maybe a tap from the ol 3rings on the latch... regardless... $5k of camera gear hitting the ground at mach 10.

Sucks eh?

Lost my 1 of a kind "clear" Pro-Track as well... that hurt...

So I'm building a new FTN, 20D and PC 1000 setup with a fill flash. Should be sweet... but man it's expensive to replace all that stuff at once. One different addition this time will be an original L&B Newton Advanced ringsight with the LEDs that go to a new Optima audible for a visual warning and the other LED hooks up to the camera for a record indicator.

I'm pretty excited... hopefully it will all be together by the Holiday Boogie in Eloy

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

agreed... you had/have my original FULLBOX helmet... I really liked that helmet. Then I got a Bat-Rak... jumped the living snot outta that for awhile and then got a FTP... sadly a couple weeks ago it had an untimely end (see photo)B|

Now I have a FTN that I've been customizing... no cameras yet so I can't take a photo of it to post... let's just say carbon black with full on chrome hotrod flames BOYO!

Sigh...

Bonehead camera helmets just rock!

GraficO

Funny, but you and I just talked about this on the phone, as I write. I still like em. Hope I can avoid the opening from hell like you had.

RW
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676