mark135

$ for tandem vids

We get $30 for Video only, $40 for stills only, and $50 for video and stills. Customer pays $75 for either and $100 for both. Good thing we're slow this weekend, I'll get to jump off some of that dinero I have on the books with my BOYZ!!!!!:o:o
C-ya
Blair

Actually riggerrob is wrong. At Pitt Meadows last year we made $25.00. However the videographers went to management and explained we wanted more. Now we get paid $45.00 if they supply a tape and $50.00 if we supply our own. A much happier group now.

~Chachi

At BSA we charge $165 for the tandem, $70 for video, and $85 for video and stills. The video guy get paid $40 for the Video and $50 for video and stills.

Pendejo

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

So far it seem that DZ's are making between $30 and $50 on camera slots.

I take it that this covers the cost of the cameraman's slot.

Why do DZ's take more than the price of the slot from the cost of a video (one dz charges $100 for vid and stills but pays the cameraman $50).

This does seem a little unfair to me being as the cameraman has invested a large ammount of money and time building his skill and equipment. As well as having to edit the video etc.

As it happens at my DZ RAPA in Germany I am not allowed to profit from my position on staff, therefore I do all my video work for free. The only money I do make is E5 for shooting a roll of stills.

However when I go back to the UK I do hope to earn a bob or two from camera.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Ok... lets break this down:

$100 fee for Video+ stills

- $20 slot for video flyer
- $50 fees camera flyer gets paid
-------
$30 Profit for a DZ

Of if the DZ only charges say 75:

$75

- $20 slot
- $35 video fee
------
$20 Profit

There is that nasty word profit again...:|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Im all for DZ's making profit, thats why they are in business.

However, they make profit on the Tandem, they make profit on the cameramans slot, then they make profit on the actual video/stills that the cameraman produces.

I do think that is milking the cash cow just a little too much.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Profit is not "milking the cash cow."
Profit is the cost of doing business professionally.
The last time I discussed video pricing with my boss, he grumbled about all the money he had to pay for the video editing suite and all the money he had to pay for expensive repairs.
And someone has to pay the manifestor.

The profit on a funjumpers slot tends to be $3 or less. I know of a DZ that loses money on every fun jumpers slot and has to make it up on the student business.
Tandem math is even more fun:

10000 for a rig to start with.

$180 for the tandem
-40 for both slots
-10 for the packer
-20 for wear and tear on the gear
-20-30 for the TM's profit
--------
80-90 Profit per student, then that profit has to be used to keep the airplane running, pay the bills, etc.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Freakflyguy,

There is more to the story than the DZ "just keeping" the other 30 dollars.

1) The video guy does not do any of the editing work.
2) The video guy does not supply the vhs tapes to use for editing.
3) The video guy does not own the editing equipment to do the editing with.

It may not be the same at every DZ but at the ones that are charging big bucks and paying the video guy's big bucks there is alot more to it than just keeping the rest of the money. Remember... it isn't a non profit org.

Pendejo

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I do think that is milking the cash cow just a little too much

i think you forget who get the job to thouse guys/gals,hopefuly most of us does it for fun,if i can earn an extra buck on doing what i like then i see noproblem.I think the deals written here are nice deals.When i started i just got payed my bills,then i had to deside if i wanted that free skydive of if i wanted to pay to have fun by others.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

At skydive Oregon we get $30 for vid and stills. DZ provides film, tape and editing. When you concider $5 of that is for a pack job we get $25. They charge $79 and offer $15 dvd.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

At my DZ, Tandems pay $189 and JM gets $30.

Video and Stills cost $85 and Videographer gets $40.
Videographer has to pay for the still film. The DZ provides the editing equipment and the VHS tapes.

So after pack job, Still film, DV tapes, batteries, wear and tear on my equipment, reserve repacks,etc, I figure I make about $29 a jump for video, but I get to swoop after the dive is over. That makes it worth doing video over tandem. But I do both.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Oh, forgot one big drawback. If for some reason either the video or stills don't come out, The customer gets a $25 rebate which comes out of the Videographers pay. The videographer then only gets $15 for the jump. The DZ still gets their profit.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Oh, forgot one big drawback. If for some reason either the video or stills don't come out, The customer gets a $25 rebate which comes out of the Videographers pay. The videographer then only gets $15 for the jump. The DZ still gets their profit.

We get $35 to do video, but have to pay someone $10 to do the edit if we don't do it ourselves (non-linear). we provide our own mini-DV tapes, dz provides vhs tapes.

i wonder if i'll ever pay off my video equipment... oh well.

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

i wonder if i'll ever pay off my video equipment... oh well.

Has anybody been making money in skydiving? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Making a little of it back is a great excuse to do it more!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

My home DZ pays $35 for video and stills, my mini DV tape, but their editing.

A nearby DZ pays $35 for video and stills, but charges $5 for editing if I don't do it myself.

I suppose that the fuss over all this has to be for those who try to actually earn a living at this. For me, I have a full time job outside the DZ and do video on weekends and edit my own jumps during the week. Frankly, I'm grateful to have my slot paid for and to earn a little money while I'm having lots of fun doing it. I really enjoy watchig those first timers come out that door. Regardless, I really can't complain too much for being paid to have fun. :)
Que sera sera