GQ_jumper

Nationals

The USPA Nationals is about serving ALL of the competitors, not just a select group.

OK, so why not present awards at the end of each event?

Most folks competing in 4 way are also competing in 8 & 10 way so yes there were 3 teams that did not fall into this category.

You have numbers to back statement up? Quick and dirty math...about 63 teams in 4way and most doing 8way would mean 31, 8 way teams. Omniskore shows only 14 8way teams.

Give the teams the medals right after the last jump IMO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The USPA Nationals is about serving ALL of the competitors, not just a select group.

OK, so why not present awards at the end of each event?

Most folks competing in 4 way are also competing in 8 & 10 way so yes there were 3 teams that did not fall into this category.

You have numbers to back statement up? Quick and dirty math...about 63 teams in 4way and most doing 8way would mean 31, 8 way teams. Omniskore shows only 14 8way teams.

Give the teams the medals right after the last jump IMO.

Even the Olympic Games gives the medals soon after the event. Nobel prizes, OTOH, can take years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hard to believe that TWO teams couldn't build a 10-way round in 35 seconds.

would you forbid very new people and pickup teams from competing?

I wouldn't.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Too bad USPA would not allow the NSL to provide complete Nationals coverage (with NSL-TV etc).

I love Omniskore but Kurt does a great job on skyleague.com too, providing a different perspective and lots of info about the teams.

Why restrict the coverage this way?

This situation is mentioned on skyleague.com (scroll down about half-way): http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=575

Hard to believe that TWO teams couldn't build a 10-way round in 35 seconds.

would you forbid very new people and pickup teams from competing?

I wouldn't.

No, but I've been on a pickup 50 way that completed on the first attempt. We're talking a round here, not something intricate and complicated.

No, but I've been on a pickup 50 way that completed on the first attempt. We're talking a round here, not something intricate and complicated.

Hey douchebag go read the rules. Its NOT 10 way speed star, like that movie with Wesly Snipes. It is 10 way speed and has various formations to build. If you examine the results you'll see that even Airspeed had a rough round 1 and took almost 30 seconds to build the formation.

As an FYI, I was not in 10 way, nor have I ever competed in it. I just think it is wack that some person rolls up in here and starts passing judgement about the one event in my mind is truely just a fun, blow off steam event. Hey dood, how many 10-way competitions have you partaken in? Do you know any of the rules?

As an FYI, I was not in 10 way, nor have I ever competed in it. I just think it is wack that some person rolls up in here and starts passing judgement about the one event in my mind is truely just a fun, blow off steam event. Hey dood, how many 10-way competitions have you partaken in? Do you know any of the rules?

Oh!!!! I'm gonna need some popcorn for this one.:P

I know Prof. Kallend jumps at Skydive Chicago, I just don't remember if he was on the SDC Gold medal 10-way team @ 2002 nationals that had consistent builds under 9 seconds... maybe it was the 10-way Ironman meet...:P
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Hey douchebag go read the rules. Its NOT 10 way speed star, like that movie with Wesly Snipes. It is 10 way speed and has various formations to build. If you examine the results you'll see that even Airspeed had a rough round 1 and took almost 30 seconds to build the formation.

I'll let John explain his qualifications in 10-way.

But anyway, star is in the dive pool and it was drawn for round four. Two teams scored 40.00s on round 4. Judging by their averages for the event, one of those teams was just out to have some fun. The other team, however, was consistently scoring under 20s. There is no reason why they shouldn't have been able to bang together a star in under 40.

Well, thank you for the compliment :)
Round 4 was a round star (example here being done by a bunch of people in unmatched jumpsuits - must be beginners).

And I think I once read that the rules also involve more complex formations, but I was referring to the star.

(BTW the movie was Cutaway, it was 8-way speedstar, not 10-way, and it was Rodman, not Snipes. Other than that, you are correct).

and it was Rodman, not Snipes

It was definitely not Snipes, but maybe he messed up and was thinking about Berringer or the Baldwin puke. Just because Rodman and Snipes are both the same race....... :P:P

Edit: Same "color" anyway. I still belive Rodman is from another planet

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well if you're going to go down, might as well do it in flames.

Serves me right for not even looking at the draw.

I will stand behind the notion that it is lame to pass judgement on anyone else's performance other than your own, at least in a public yet somewhat anonymous forum.

Well if you're going to go down, might as well do it in flames.

Serves me right for not even looking at the draw.

I will stand behind the notion that it is lame to pass judgement on anyone else's performance other than your own, at least in a public yet somewhat anonymous forum.

1. Google "kallend". I am not "somewhat anonymous".

2. Choosing to compete in a public, national event is inviting comment. This thread is full of commentary on various competitors at Nationals.

To stop the mudslinging and get back to topic...

John: do you know if the rules are the same now as compared to your second video? Your team exits with 3 jumpers linked: is that still allowed?

I believe so. At least that's the way the current USPA competition rules read.

B. 10-Way
1. A line is marked on the floor of a side-door
aircraft from the front edge of the door to the
opposite fuselage wall aft of the rear edge of the
door; and for tailgate aircraft, the line is drawn
five feet forward of the tailgate edge and parallel
to the edge of the tailgate.

a. The videographer must record an image of
the line on the floor prior to the team
exiting the aircraft.
b. The team must line up behind the line,
and no members of the team, except the
videographer, may come in contact with
any portion of the aircraft on the door
side or tailgate side of the line prior to
commencing exit.

2. After exit, two unlinked jumpers must initiate
all formations after completely passing through
the door with the remaining jumpers
converging on those two jumpers.

It was several years ago, I remember people talking about revamping the ten-way rules.
Instead of having a single file unlinked exit, they proposed drawing the diagonal line, allowing linked exits and requiring a total separation grip flash before the build.

I'm sure Kallend remembers all the details... my memory is a little hazy.

:)
Ken

Maybe Omniskore will post the video of a few 10-way rounds.

I'd love to see some of the Russians jumps.

Although I couldn't find it in the rules, I believe any bust in 10-way(anything from a wrong grip to failure to show separation) results in a maximum time penalty.
Ken

There was one video online I think in the Tidbits section at Omniskore. I was curious about the current rules as it looked like the 2 unlinked were find but there was a 4 way diamond that dove out. The rules are not exactly clear and I wish it was. The event is cool and I would like to see it stick around!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

we did the same thing at the 10 way meet in perris, launched a small piece out the door to keep our base tight and had them drop grips and rebuild. 10 way is fun;) as long as you don't mind getting slammed around a bit, which apparently one of my teammates did cause he complained abou me pushing against him while he was in the door:P
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

as long as you don't mind getting slammed around a bit, which apparently one of my teammates did cause he complained abou me pushing against him while he was in the door:P

the fun slot is the very rear of the plan (tucked in the corner behind the tape) - on a good day, it doesn't hurt too bad.