Vallerina

Midwest 100-ways?

So, I'm just curious as to why there aren't many 100-ways in the Midwest. With Rantoul, SDC, Richmond, and other boogies pulling in enough aircraft, how come there aren't many 100-ways? When was the last 100-way in the Midwest? We're not that lame here, are we? :ph34r:
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

all the peopple come to Cali and Florida to do them. Most of th epeople on the loads this last week were from other places then Cali. The knowledge and experience are out here and in Florida for the most part to organize these things.

There aren't really that many people that want to do big ways like that. Once you get into the bigway scene a bit more, you will start to notice that it is almost always the same people at all the events. Doesn't matter if it is in Florida or Texas or Cali. The same people travel to all of them.

The planes and people that can put them together are here and Florida and Texas for the most part. Better planes and bigger dropzones for the whole thing to happen.
Dom

Dom - I wouldn't say Skydive Chicago in any way qualifies as a 'little DZ'.

I'd say the first comment is more correct - Roger isn't doing it, but more so, no one else is either.

Even with similar capabilities like Perries or Larry's operation, these are not just weekend get togethers. They need to be 'formally' organized to be popular and successful. So with Roger gone, someone will need to fill that void for big way in the middle of the country. Either that, or SDC needs to lobby some of the organizers and attract an event to their DZ. Other than boogies, I wouldn't think there is another DZ in the midwest to handle bigger formations so it's most likely if the Nelson's attempt to do it than any other DZ.

In the meantime, it'll happen whereever the organizers set it up. No one says they couldn't bring a big way event to the midwest. Just that they aren't currently choosing to do so or being offered the right incentives to hold one here.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Forgot about Skydive Chicago. Opps.

They definatley have the right place and the aircraft.

I also think big part of it is the vibe of the DZ's. I may be wrongbut it sems to me from what I hear is that Chiacgo is more of a freefly DZ now then anything. Makes sense with Missy and Rook being as good as they are at what they do.

Perris was becoming a primarly freefly dz until B.C. came back and lit a fire under the Rw folks asses that got things rocking again. The Freefly Mega center is here operating as well now and we have a really healthy drop zone at the moment on both sides of the free fall spectrum. It is really cool to see 100 ways and 50 ways all weekend and also to see the free fly world record in the same month along with 15 way tracking dives to end the weekend. I love Perris.
Dom

There's plenty of belly flying happening at SDC every weekend. It takes a bit of effort to coordinate two plane shots, but if the interest and the jumpers are there, they do it. We even did a 2 plane shot in Ixtapa.

The planes and people that can put them together are here and Florida and Texas for the most part.

I think this is where I get some confusion. There are some great big-way jumpers in the Midwest. Plus, as you say, many people travel to hundred way events. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'll have to travel far forever or if someone can reasonably plan a 100-way here. If someone plans it, I'll jump! :D But, since it takes more than qualified jumpers...it takes qualified organizers...

I think this is where I get some confusion. There are some great big-way jumpers in the Midwest. Plus, as you say, many people travel to hundred way events.

Quincy years ago used to have blots.

I'm really just trying to figure out if I'll have to travel far forever or if someone can reasonably plan a 100-way here

SDC has the ability to do anything...The missing ingrediant is organizers.

SDC needs to *want* a blot, and it could have one. If you get a good organizer that wants to do it people will travel to it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The planes and people that can put them together are here and Florida and Texas for the most part.

I think this is where I get some confusion. There are some great big-way jumpers in the Midwest. Plus, as you say, many people travel to hundred way events. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'll have to travel far forever or if someone can reasonably plan a 100-way here. If someone plans it, I'll jump! :D But, since it takes more than qualified jumpers...it takes qualified organizers...

I can think of a dozen people in the Chicago area who are qualified to engineer a 100 way and put it together on the day. That's not the issue. The issue is finding someone to coordinate the event; handle the invitations, get the planes, oxygen, cannulas, do the registration paperwork, put together the goodie bags .... and all the other stuff that jumpers expect. YOU could volunteer to do that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm really just trying to figure out if I'll have to travel far forever or if someone can reasonably plan a 100-way here.

At least you don't have to change the continent to get to the 100-ways.:S
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Well, heck. I would gladly do that if it meant that I could be on a 100-way without having to travel far!!!

Well, first you need to convince a DZO and an organizer that the effort is worth their while. How about collecting names of interested, qualified skydivers? I'm sure you have contacts at DZs around the midwest. You'd probably find 40 or so just at SDC and Hinckley.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, heck. I would gladly do that if it meant that I could be on a 100-way without having to travel far!!!

Well, first you need to convince a DZO and an organizer that the effort is worth their while. How about collecting names of interested, qualified skydivers? I'm sure you have contacts at DZs around the midwest. You'd probably find 40 or so just at SDC and Hinckley.

And I could get Val some contacts in my region of some big way advocates and other talent. There's a handful in the NPSL with experience and interest.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I know its not the mid west, but, in the interest of spreading info, Xkeys and Roger Ponce are doing some in July. Have a look at the DZ website for info. PS: can someone PM me the email addy of Roger? I emailed the DZ but wouldnt mind a more direct contact.

Chicago is almost in driving distance for us Val... build it, and MAYBE we will come! lol
Remster

Don't forget about Sky Knights. We have lots of RW talent up here, too.

And I could get Val some contacts in my region of some big way advocates and other talent. There's a handful in the NPSL with experience and interest.

Woo hoo! Maybe that'll be a goal of mine this year to get done by next year....seek out who could be on it for next year...try to find someone to organize it/design it.

So, stupid question time....how many newer jumpers can you have on a 100-way? I imagine that a lot of it comes down to things such as an experienced four-way jumper with tons of tunnel time, a good track and some experience with 30-40 ways would probably do alright on a 100-way. However, since people in the Midwest generally have to travel for 100-ways, what kind of experience is acceptable? I guess that's the scariest part....not really knowing if someone is qualified!

I wonder how many people that travel around would travel to the Midwest next year for a big-way event.

A very good way to start making this happen, would be to generate a list, invite a local organizer (or just do it youself) and start making 16-20 ways happen every few weeks. That way you support the local talent, help it grow, and have more jumpers to invite on your 100 way. Keep it up, let the list grow and work towards regular formation loads. I'm lucky to be in Southern California, where we can scare up a 32 way with one weeks notice, but the same thing can be put together in the Midwest.

There are 16-21 way ways at SDC regularly every weekend. Two plane shots take a little more planning but can be put together on very little notice if the interest is there. As Kallend already pointed out, the real issue is organizing the event itself. People have and will travel to SDC for bigways. Its kind of funny how people seem to think of it as a freefly dropzone when not so long ago it was thought of as a "big way" dropzone.

And, sorry, but its kind of funny how people from Florida and California seem to think those are the only states where quality skydiving happens!

but the same thing can be put together in the Midwest.

It does happen in the midwest quite often we will have 2 plane shots. I have been on a few of them at SDC. Most normaly busy weekends we have 20 ways going almost every weekend. Most of the weekends in prime season SDC has two otters running on site. And last year more then one occasion we have had enough people there to actually throw up 2 plane shots at the drop of a hat. If the skilled people would show intrest, and countinue jumping with the big way group it will get big enough and has many times.

The problem is no one with the skills wants to handle the organizing of something as big as a 100 way. The people are there, but the drive to do it isnt.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Probably more than a handful in the NPSL. We did build that 60-way at Couchfreaks last year.;) I think between Bill, and myself we could come up with at least 15-25 skydivers that would travel to SDC for a 100-way.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

You're right Ken. Sandy already has a master list. We missed you this weekend. The weather was spotty, but we got about 6 loads on Friday and about 9 on Saturday. I tell you, the information we got this weekend was a whole level beyond any coaching I think I've ever gotten. And that's saying a lot considering the super people we've been exposed to over the last 5 years.....

First you need to convince a DZO and an organizer that the effort is worth their while. How about collecting names of interested, qualified skydivers? I'm sure you have contacts at DZs around the midwest. You'd probably find 40 or so just at SDC and Hinckley.

So, stupid question time....how many newer jumpers can you have on a 100-way? I imagine that a lot of it comes down to things such as an experienced four-way jumper with tons of tunnel time, a good track and some experience with 30-40 ways would probably do alright on a 100-way. However, since people in the Midwest generally have to travel for 100-ways, what kind of experience is acceptable? I guess that's the scariest part....not really knowing if someone is qualified!

You have to assure good organization and good skill to attract the numbers. If you bring in an organizer, have them make the determination for "qualified". If you start putting a lot of inexperienced folk on it, you will scare off the serious talent.

You need to decide if you want a CAMP format to get people experience, or if you want an INVITATIONAL for people who already have it. There is a big difference, including who you recruit as the organizer for each type.

The more qualified and "known" the organizer, the more experienced big-way people you get, the more experianced big-way people they bring, and so on. That's why it seems to be "always the same people" as was said before, even though there are always new faces, too!

It takes a lot to put it together, and more to run it, and anyone who has organized any formal weekend invitational will tell you, it is a lot of work. Negotiating organizers, the DZO, airlift, event costs, getting videographers, the drop zone staff, logistcs, finding lodging to offer, managing the personnel list, handling the "but I have the experience how come I'm not it" people, coodinating the calendar so it falls at a time that people will have the time and money, and that's only the start of it...

:)