Michele

Did you take a canopy control class?

I didn't take a canopy control class, when I was learning too swoop, high performance canopy flight schools where almost unheard of.
I was lucky when I was learning, scared myself a few times but never hit the ground.
But I recommend it too anyone who is wanting to learn high performance landings.
I have several friends who have attended Scott Millers class and they highly recommend it.
Remember knowledge is are friend in this sport, don't be afraid to ask.

Gary Harbird

I was lucky when I was learning, scared myself a few times but never hit the ground.

HA! So whats the bushes excuse :P - Sorry Gary I couldn't resist. Sorry I can't be out swooping the pond with ya at SKNE this weekend, but I'll be there in july with ya :)
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have not taken one yet because the opportunity has not presented itself. I try to talk to people and read about cannopy control as much as possible. I really enjoy flying my cannopy, almost as much as the skydive. I can't imagine opening lower than 4000, you wouldn't have enough time to play on your wing!
...FUN FOR ALL!

Yes, during the Invasion at Eloy, with Jason Peters. It was two days of mostly hop-n-pops. It was tailored to all levels, and I worried before hand that it was a waste of my newbie time, but it was great. While there was no air-to-air coaching, he videod all of our landings, and both nights had an extensive debrief. I learned as much from the debriefs as from the jumps.

I would love to take a more extensive course, that covers more of the physics, and has air-to-air coaching. I've never had the chance to fly my canopy with a coach nearby. Will it happen soon? Doubtful, since my home dz is small and doesn't have such options.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Well I said I'd let you know how the course went. Quite simply - awesome. I am flying more efficiently than ever before and after some vertical accuracy tips I was consistantly blowing through the gate at the same place every time. Additionally some canopy myths were put to rest for a number of us (including the instructors) so that was great.

Unless you're a naturally spectacular pilot I can't see how nothing can be gained from attending his courses.

Once again sorry it didn't work out.

Blue skies
Ian

My wife and I also took the course with Scott -

She learned a lot of physics 101. I learned 2 stage flare technique - it was also my first 4 jumps on a Stiletto. I felt much more confident when we returned to the DZ...

We both had less than 100 jumps at the time; I think it was worth the money (then) and we are planning on attending another class later this summer.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Scott told my wife on every jump that she was perfect, and held her video's up as a benchmark.
She was great that day, then she started biffing in the next week.
A fellow at Parkman filmed our landings at no charge and Shoe critiqued them. We got more out of that than Scott's course, and it was free.

I'm not knocking the course, it would the best thing in the world for those with less than 50 jumps.

I'm coming up on 800, have 600 HP landings on a 135 or less and still found Scotts class very informative. Sometimes I had to ask more advanced questions, but he was always willing and able to answer them all. I'd guess the problem with the course is trying to cater to a variety of skill levels at one time, which invariably leads to catering for the lowest common denominator.

I can understand the biffing in part - you can't tell everything about a canopy pilot in 5 jumps - I hardly think that's Scotts fault. I'd bet that someone who didn't have good landings for the course learnt more (Not saying you should biff in of course - but rather that if the landing was good there's not a whole lot more someone can say.)

Either way at this point you seem to be one of few who didn't benefit, so I'd still recommend the class - regardless of whether someone has 50 jumps or more.

It's a pity that it worked out that way, but these things are bound to happen.

Blue skies
Ian

I don't jump highly loaded canopies. Never will. Now if there's an accuracy class offered, I my attend. (Stand-up)

You don't have to jump a highly loaded canopy to take a class. Derek's course is actually geared toward the person with under 200 jumps, who is trying to learn how to be a safer canopy pilot He also teaches gear maintenance and things like that to make it a very rounded course. You would be surprised at how many people with your jump numbers might be able to land the canopy, but still haven't learned how to really control the canopy.
Fly it like you stole it!

No,been thinking alot about teaching class.Alot was learned in competition.More expensive the jumps,the more you remember the damn costly mistakes.Rule 1.Make sure you can get there.Rule 2.No trophy(or cool landing) is worth getting hurt for.Rule 3, Practice,Practice,Practice.Well,there are many,many more rules.These are the short version.

There are lots of different classes out there...and any one of them worth it's salt can be tailored for ANY experience level.

The canopy classes that we do are specifically aimed at jumpers with 50-200 jumps, so high wingloadings don't usually come into play...but we also have a class on HP canopies that provides a lot of aerodynamic theory and seems to help those in transition btwn canopies and loadings...and we also have a pure swoop class.

This last class is the least attended. The first class is the most attended.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

No, but perhaps I should have. It might "might " have saved me a long recuperation and alot of jump$$$:$. I must admit I learned ALOT from my mistake and matured greatly as a jumper, I've seriously thought about it since then but the combination of money, time and location just refuse to cooperate with each other.

Think about this folks, my leg is now worth more than $23,000, thank god for my having excellent BCBS coverage, my out of pocket was less than $3000.
How much is a canopy control course?
Do you have medical insurance or are you a leech on society in the event of a major OOPS!

Want to see some great pictures of my injury search my post for X-Rays and photos.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

The class was very thorough. Took it 'cause I don't know everything about my canopy. Plus, I wanted more standup landings. Took it May 17th, 2003 from Scott Miller (PD).

I ended up with 3 out of 4 standup landings as a result. I now know the feel of the canopy when I'm getting ready to land. Although I still respect my canopy, it's not as "scary" as it used to be. It's more fun.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Michele, the thinking inspired by this thread led me to secure time off to travel to a Scott Miller canopy control seminar and coaching in mid-June. It'll be my first formal canopy instruction. Thanks!
Skydiving is for cool people only

I haven't paid for a formal canopy control class. This type of coaching as well as others are $ out of reach for me. What I have done, other than talk and email with my piers on the subject, is attend a seminar with Shannon Pilcher and Francisco Neri at one boogie and another one with Brian Germain. Some other good source material out there for reading that I have used is Brian Burke's document at the Skydive Arizona website and Pd's documents on their site. Most importantly, I simply understand that I will always be learning and I am always vulnerable, so heads up!

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I did with Scott Mileer in 2001. I went to skydive deland from Brazil just to make this canopie school.

I learned a lot with him, and still learning with his exercises. In my 100 jump i made my fisrt swoop in a pond swoop. I did 44ft.

Piru

OK so can someone please point me towrds Scott Miller or anyone who teaches this class. Just made my 100th jump and have gotten some tips here and there but like someone said earlier in this post - I think I know how to fly my canopy but not really sure on the exact controling of it. Knock on wood - Of the 100 jumps, think I only "biffed" in about 5 of them, took a knee on maybe another 5 or so. Canopy is what I LOVED when I first started jumping, more so than the free fall. Now I am playing more with freefall and just landing my canopy....I want to FLY my canopy and walk back into the hanger and someone say "Nice Landing Denise"....Should have picked Chris Lynches ear more while he was around...gosh darn it! What should I do........

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

What you should do is make sure you get a canopy control class....;) which you're doing.

You jump at Sebastian? Can anyone give her a contact point? I know Scott Miller works at PD...maybe calling there and asking them to get you two in touch would be a start?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Stacy jumps at Zhills, and SkyMama jumps at Deland...I know 'Mama took a class from Scott Miller and I believe it was at Deland. Maybe a pm to her would be helpful?

I'm sure Stacy could help, too...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

but I'll be back to Zhills. Felt "loved" there...hee hee.

i remember reading your post about going to zhills, and saying you met jonny. i assume you mean jonny stuart (packer, great canopy pilot, good freeflier). talk to him if you need some help, i'm sure he'll give you some pointers, and all that good stuff. and more than likely, he'll do it for a little bit of nothing (maybe a beer at night, or just do it for free to help out :)

later