freeflycracker

crossfire - same canopy?

Assumably, the point at wich the cascade lines attach to the A lines wasnt the manufacturing problem. Simply asprin to cover up the problem. Since this is an assumption: Is a crossfire with the mod performed the same canopy as one that wasnt on the list? Do normal crossfires have the squirrely openings that the modded ones do now?

Is a crossfire with the mod performed the same canopy as one that wasnt on the list? Do normal crossfires have the squirrely openings that the modded ones do now?

My old Crossfire had great openings, but I haven't jumped one with the line trim change.. I have talked to a couple people that have, and they say the canopy does not perform or open nearly as well as it did before.. I don't believe that the trim change will correct the problem, just mask it.. I do not trust Icarus, and will not jump a Crossfire or any other product of theirs because of the way they dealt with the Crossfire problem, and more specifically, my situation with the Crossfire..
Oh, and just so you guys know.....My old Crossfire, which has been disassembled and reassembled a couple times at the factory in Spain, and had the lines replaced a couple times(all while trying to figure out what was wrong with it), is up for sale on the "Demo's for sale" list at Icarus.. Anybody want to give it a chance and see if it tries to kill ya?
Mike

as far as i can know the line modification does not fix the aerodynamic instability the crossfires have, only cause the problem to happen deeper in the control range.

Dan,
this is quite vague. Can you give any reasons/arguments/proofs for this?
Thanks very much
blues Marcus

5 crossfires were tested by nasa in a windtunnel.
the report should be published next month.
i would expect either a recall of all crossfires (to be discarded and not for line trim modification), or icarus to close.

Merely my opinion here, but I think it is totally and completely unethical for a direct competitor to post the above in a public forum without also posting the results of said tests.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

Merely my opinion here, but I think it is totally and completely unethical for a direct competitor to post the above in a public forum without also posting the results of said tests.

Just my opinion, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe he doesn't have the specific results, maybe he doesn't want to accidently give false information. Just stating that there were tests done, and his (negative) interpretation will just have people watching for the information
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine, in a bag

>Merely my opinion here, but I think it is totally and completely unethical for a direct competitor to post the
>above in a public forum without also posting the results of said tests.
I think most people understand that Dan is eager to sell "his" gear, and take his advice accordingly. His opinion is still valid, even though he has a vested interest in one manufacturer.
That being said, I would hope that if, in the future, someone is critical of a Cobalt, Dan treats them with the same respect that he asks for when he posts things like the above.
-bill von

Scratch what used to be here. My argument sucked, but I still think that it is somewhat unethical. I would be freaking out if I owned a Crossfire, I would be cancelling my order if I had one in (or at least putting it on hold until I saw that report), and if I was in the market for a Crossfire I might go elsewhere.
--
Brian
Homepage

lisa: fair enough...
btw simon of icarus did start a liable law suit against me after my first comments about the crossfire and the accident i witnessed at the ranch.
the case was droped after one response from our lawyer. it seems the truth is the best defense in a liable case. for further protection of both myself and friends jumping crossfires, i funded an independent test.
so far tested in a fullsize wind tunnel are 5 crossfires both on the 'list' and not on the list. i am waiting for 2 more crossfires with newer line trim modifications to arrive for testing before the report will be released.
sincerely,
dan

I would be freaking out if I owned a Crossfire, I would be cancelling my order if I had one in (or at least putting it on hold until I saw that report), and if I was in the market for a Crossfire I might go elsewhere.

And that's exactly why I feel it's not ethical. If someone not involved in canopy manufacturing had posted it I'd feel different.

for further protection of both myself and friends jumping crossfires, i funded an independent test.
so far tested in a fullsize wind tunnel are 5 crossfires both on the 'list' and not on the list. i am waiting for 2 more crossfires with newer line trim modifications to arrive for testing before the report will be released.

Props to you for doing this out of your own pocket; I have friends jumping Crossfires too and I'm very interested in the results. But again imho you should wait until all the results are in before making statements in a public forum like "i expect... icarus to close." To me this sounds like rumor-mongering as you offer nothing but the fact that testing is underway to back it up.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

>Props to you for doing this out of your own pocket; I have
>friends jumping Crossfires too and I'm very interested in the
>results. But again imho you should wait until all the results
>are in before making statements in a public forum like "i
>expect... icarus to close." To me this sounds like rumor-
>mongering as you offer nothing but the fact that testing is
>underway to back it up.
A scientific investigation implemented when the desired results are already known will be viewed with skepticism unless it is conducted by a disinterested third party.
--
Sincerely,
Richard M. Smith
(509) 754-1126
[email protected]

lisa: it is not my intention to try to create a rumor. only state fact and not interpretation. in this interest i asked sangiro to delete the offending line "i would expect.." from my post.
rm: we tested the canopies in house but then comissioned a study by an agency that no one could poke bias at. and make no mistake if my findings were proved wrong, i would make that known. i am not out to hurt anyone, whole point being to prevent that.
-dan

Incidentally NASA does all sorts of aviation testing. I read a test a few months ago on tail plane stalls induced by icing conditions. I got all excited because I saw an Otter on the front page of the ALPA article. NASA does a bunch of testing to make general aviation safer. They would be the natural choice for expertise in this area.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

"Funny how they do things like that at the National Aeronautics & Space Administration."
Just thought I would point that out since some seemed confused as to why NASA would be testing parachutes. If has to do with aviation....they test it sooner or later. Especially when it's a safety issue.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Just thought I would point that out since some seemed confused as to why NASA would be testing parachutes. If has to do with aviation....they test it sooner or later. Especially when it's a safety issue.

Wasn't NASA doing some parachute tests with Skydive Arizona using BA Cargo chutes? I thought I read that in Parachutist a while back. The perfect agency for the test.
BTW, was recently in the market for a new parachute and just because of the uncertainty, the Crossfire was not considered, nor were any of the Icarus canopies. Sorry, I can't afford the possibility of an equipment or company problem down the line. Got to go with the Big Boys who I know will be there down the road.
Is it hot in here, or am I crazy? - Charles Manson
flyhi
B|

BTW, was recently in the market for a new parachute and just because of the uncertainty, the Crossfire was not considered, nor were any of the Icarus canopies. Sorry, I can't afford the possibility of an equipment or company problem down the line. Got to go with the Big Boys who I know will be there down the road.

Cobalt Dan will be disapointed to hear that I ruled out the Cobalt for exactly he same reason. Before the Icarus issues surfaced I'd been seeking a Cobalt to demo. Once I realised how important customer can be I instantly decided to go with PD.
He might consider these issues before mocking his compeditors...
_Am

Atair has as good or if not better service then PD. I had called PD asking for a demo canopy and told I would be placed on the waiting list, but it could be up to 4 months before I might get it, or I might get it in 3 weeks. Atair let me specify with in 2 weeks of when my Ideal time was and tried to get it to me on those dates. Atair even shipped me a new, never jumped canopy just to make sure that I had it in time for a Christams trip. By getting me that Demo, Atair got 2 sales, mine in a few weeks and one of the guys who borrowed it from me.
Dan is the only one who posts here, but I've seen John LeBlanc, Brian Germain and Bill Booth all post on Rec. and most the time they are pointing out a flaw in something other then their own product. Simon from Icuras I thought was even on here too.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

<"Funny how they do things like that at the National Aeronautics & Space Administration."
Just thought I would point that out since some seemed confused as to why NASA would be testing parachutes. If has to do with aviation....they test it sooner or later. Especially when it's a safety issue>
I understand that this is ina NASA's area. My comment was that I was surprised that they were concerned about a sport parachute. Let's face it . This is small potatoes for NASA. And if you would read the comments, it is an experiment paid for by atair or Dan Preston. So as far as them testing it sooner or later, I don't think it would happen if it wasn't a paid experiment.
I would still like to know the details of this test. Who exactly is conductiong it where? What are the parameters of the test etc. ?
William