mountainman

RAVEN reserves.....

Thanks guys......here is the deal. We ordered the Dash-M 181 and 150 and then I just looked at the orange tag and they say Super Raven and Micro Raven. Are those just the names dealing with the size and I didn't get jipped? Or did they give me something less than Dash-M??
Thanks!
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

I think you might have gotten screwed there...My dash-M 218 has no name on it like I have seen on the regular ravens....you might wanna check on that...unless they put it down incorrectly...the way to really find out is to pop the reserve and take a look at the warning label that will have it all on there....when I bought mine on E-bay they guy was selling it as a regular raven...I was surprised when I got it and my rigger shows me it is a dash-m and according to Terry it has no oppenings on the thing.....all that for 300 bucks....did I luck out...and with a DOM of 7/99 too.....
Marc
Res Firma Mitescere Nescite

There are a couple of quick ways to determine the difference from across the room.
The Super Raven series (including Micro Raven) is made with a main bridle attachment. The Dash-M has no main bridle attachment and is made as a reserve-only.
Also, the Dash-M Series is constructed using a spanwise lower surface. The Super Ravens are built with chordwise lowers.
The airfoil and line trim package are the same for both canopies.

What I was looking at the the big orange tag on the inside page of the owners manual. There is the same tag (I think) that they put on the middle cell of the canopies. On that, it says SuperRaven and MicroRaven.
Is the Dash-M a completely different series or is the Super and Micro just a model type of the Dash-M series. I cannot look at the reserve itself because it is just been packed for the first time like 12 days ago.
If no one knows, I'll probably just call the company and give them our serial numbers and they'll be able to tell me if they are Dash-M's.
Any more ideas?
-------------

In the beginning (circa 1984) there were only Raven 1 (181 square feet), 2 (218), 3 (249) and 4 (280). They had Dacron lines, bridle attachments and packing tabs, but no V-tapes. Early on most Raven A were retrofitted with bikini sliders, which made them Raven Bs.
In the late 1980s, Super Ravens (with Raven-D to Raven-G?) on the orange warning label) debuted with V-tapes and big labels on the end ribs. Super Ravens retained the bridle attachments and packing tabs so they could still be packed as mains. Most Super Ravens have Spectra suspension lines, though I have repacked a few (C or D) Ravens with kevlar lines.
Micro Ravens are just Super Ravens in 150, 135 and 120 square foot sizes. While they passed all the TSO tests at 254 pounds suspended weight, Micro Ravens are placarded for lighter suspended weights, based on what the manufacturer expects ankles to survive on landing. For a long time Micro Raven 120s were the smallest reserves on the market.
Raven Dash Ms are a major re-design without bridle attachments or packing tabs. Dash Ms are also the first Ravens with span-wise construction on the bottom skins. They standardized with Spectra suspension lines on Dash Ms.
Precision changed model designations when they introduced the Dash M series. Now they are labelled by size (109 - 282). While the Raven-M120 was still the smallest reserve on the market, they introduced the even-smaller Raven-M109.
Early Raven Dash Ms (labelled simply 150-M) had type 3 tape for line attachments, which don't hold up in overweight, overspeed, unstable deployments.
By the Raven Dash Mb series Precision reverted to Type1 herringbone weave line attachment tapes which are much stronger. Dash Ms are also certified under TSO-C23D which allow manufacturers the option of placarding them for weights and airspeeds higher than earlier TSOs. For example, the Raven 28-M is placarded for a maximum of 292 pounds suspended weight at sea level.
To further confuse the issue, Precision has promised to release the Raven Max series in the near future. Raven Maxs will introduce span-wise reinforcing tapes and other improvements. I believe that the extra tapes in Raven Maxs are not correcting any design deficiency in earlier models, rather they are a response to skydivers who overload their reserves.
For example, the only damaged Raven Dash M I have seen was shredded by a skydiver who exceeded the placarded weight naked (!), was jumping at an airfield above sea level, was going faster than normal and scared his Cypres. He is lucky to be alive!

"Anyone have any experience with ParaService?"

Well, I haven't actually ordered anything from them yet, but I've been talking with Roy for the last couple weeks, getting different price quotes, and asking various questions about reserves & such..... He ALWAYS answers my questions, and most of the time answers the same day. He beat Skycat on the price (but not by much - $200 maybe), so other than that I don't know much about skycat either. So far, they've been very patient with me, and VERY good to deal with.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

That is the same thing I've gotten from ParaService. I would like to think that the great service will continue AFTER the sale as well. ParaQuip was great before we ordered, but after they got our $11,000 check, I didn't hear from him once.
So....I sure hope he provides good service afterwards too. (I'm sure he does...but I'm still wary now.) :)-------------

For what it's worth....
I have purchased equipment from most all the big distributors.
I keep going back to Roy at Rigs&Things (Paraservice). He's good on pricing BUT his service is the best. You buy stuff from Roy and have a problem with it, he will make it right.
I wish the other companies had such personalized service.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Anyone have any experience with ParaService? The prices seem to be right.

I have purchased several canopies, a container, a couple of CYPRES, and various accessories from Roy at Rigs&Things ParaService.. I know several people that have purchased rigs from him, also.. I can't recommend him highly enough.. Excellent service and excellent prices.. Don't hesitate to buy from Roy..
Mike

Just another plug for Roy at Rigs and Things. He really helped me out getting my Factory Diver. There were many delays and excuses from SkySystems, but Roy kept after them and even gave me a discount on the helmet since I had to wait so long. It was a pleasure dealing with him.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

I just bought my first new rig from Roy and Lisa at Paraservice and the experience was just super. Their prices beat EVERYONE'S, and I looked at EVERY other gear shop. They were as quick as the manufacturers allowed them to be. They gave me a couple of breaks that I wasn't expecting. Lisa called me after hours, was extremely patient w/ me, taught me a little french even, and I felt like I made some real friends.

By pure coincidence, I happened to be in southern florida on business when my new rig was ready for assembly. I scooted on over to their dz and met them and picked it up. They were most welcoming and kind. I couldn't help but buy even more swag from them then and the very next week as well.

They have a great looking German Shepherd there too. :)
-michael

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...