AggieDave

Rig Choices

Within the next few months I will be looking to actually buy my own gear (:)What are some people's opinions about the containers available that are freefly friendly? Also, the container has to be "big-boy" friendly too. I'm not an extremely large guy, but I am 6'2" and have a large frame.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Javelin has the best resell value and look like they last the longest although i hear Racers last longer than anything but i find them ugly. I have had a Mirage and a Javelin, both bought used over rec.skydiving and got very very good deal. The last was a Javelin NJ in great condition with a PD 113R for only 1295.
But if you more interested in a nice rig thats not going to last a very long time, then Wings make very affordable and comfortable rigs. While many of the Javelin clones look like they do the job at a more affordable price.
Personally i would say, lay off jumping a few weeks, save that 400 by not jumping for say 3 weeks, maybe max out the credit card, and buy yourself a Javelin or Mirage.
My glorified $.02
Jonathan Bartlett
[email protected]
C-31802

I chose an Infinity for my new rig. Base price is $150 less than a standard Javelin, almost $300 less than an Odyssey. And the delivery time is about half that of Sunpath and RWS normally, and about 1/3 of that right now - I ordered mine two weeks ago and I expect to have it in hand around Dec. 1st; ordered one for a customer a couple of days later and it should be here by Dec. 7th.
It's totally freefly friendly; flaps and bridle coverage rival the Vector 3. Quality and workmanship are excellent. I've seen a couple of big guys with Infinity's and they love 'em; it is a longer planform than some other rigs so it should work well for you at 6'2"
Other less expensive containers to consider are the Wings and the Talon2. imho, the Dolphin isn't in the same league; if that's all you can afford I'd suggest looking for a nice used Javelin/Mirage/Vector3/etc. instead.
pull and flare,
lisa

I just bought a Vector 3 for my first rig although i have only jumped it 4 times so far i think its great for RW and Freefly. The risers are coverd completely no way for them to come out during freefall..So far its a perfect rig until im ready to shell out some real money for a custom rig..

I've had my Wings for about a month or so and haven't jumped it, but it's totaly comfortable in all positions on the ground. ( I've done headstands, walked all over the house in it, and mocked sitting in the plane ) I got it built custom and ending up spending only $920 brand new w/ rings, stripes, p/o handle, kill line PC.
You would have no problem finding a used one for a bigger guy. They are free-fly friendly too. No bridle and the riser covers pack real tight. Do your homework would be my best advice though bro. Good Luck!!
CHris
" Everyone tells me I'm crazy, crazy ppl aren't so fu**ng boring. "- Jawbreaker

Mark my vote with Chuck and Lisa. I have an Infinity and absolutely love it. It's my first rig, but I can say for sure I like it much better than the VectorII I used as a student. I almost don't notice it in the air and it's really comfortable to hang out in under canopy. Very well designed with an RSL standard.
Add that to the fact that Kelly at Velocity is incredible when it comes to making his customers happy. Then again, that's not too hard with such a great product.
The last thing I'd like to add, something I think few people think of is price of replacement parts. I think you'll find that Velocity's prices on parts like handles, risers, freebags, etc. are less expensive to replace than others out there. Check it out for yourself. I did.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Laura and I just got new Wings containers with the stripes, pin stripes, stainless steel everything, BOC, kill line PC, quilted backpad, etc.
Why do you say they "dont last as long"?? They last however long you take care of them. Also, Wings hasn't been around LONG enough to say they dont last. Where you getting your info??
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

As far as wings lasting long....my girlfriend got one of the first ones three years ago. It has over 500 jumps on it and looks like it is brand new. She uses it for flying video so everytime she lands it is dropped on the ground so she can film the tandems landing. One of my rigs is a Javelin with about the same number of jumps and it does not look as good as hers. I just ordered a new Wings.
William

As far as wings lasting long....my girlfriend got one of the first ones three years ago. It has over 500 jumps on it and looks like it is brand new. She uses it for flying video so everytime she lands it is dropped on the ground so she can film the tandems landing. One of my rigs is a Javelin with about the same number of jumps and it does not look as good as hers. I just ordered a new Wings.

Thank you Prost!! Did you see what someone else wrote about the Wings "not lasting as long"?? :(
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

I think it was best put to me by a shooting coach when I was looking at rifles for Match .22 - Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
Try to demo rigs from friends, ask thier opinions, talk to your instructors - like one chap here mentioned - research the heck out of you potential purchase. I made my decision based on an instructors recommendation, what I was 'raised' on for student gear, and a tonne of reading of reviews by others.
Look at used rigs for sale - not only to buy, but how much they can fetch in case you find yourself looking to sell it later when you downsize to a canopy that won't fit the rig safely.
If you are looking to buy new, look for larger DZ's nearby that are having large boogies with vendors showing up - often times they will offer specials on the gear (SDC at SummerFest offered CYPRES' for $850, and Jav Odsy's for near 30% off retail - that's when I snagged mine, with it completely tricked out for freefly - even though I suck at it right now :), the final price was the retail price of the vanilla container - I'm 6'1, not all that big - about 185/190 - and the Jav Odsy is amazingly comfortable compared to a student Jav).
Ed Cummings had an article/ad in the back of Parachutist about buying your container, AAD and Reseve new, and your main used (since the main is probably what you will grow out of first) - might be worth a thought.
Hit square1.com at the beginning of each month - they list thier sales there - hunt around on the web - alot of retailers will match a competitors advertised price, including, possibly, the retailer at your home DZ.
Aside from making the decision to make your first jump - this could be the most sigificant decision of your early skydiving career, take your time, research the possibilities - and have fun - there's nothing like that tingley feeling you get when you order your first rig. :)
Sorry to ramble on and on - I just went through the journey you are about to embark on and figured I'd offer what I could.
Have fun!

I bought a new Talon2 with the multiflex and love it. Its FF friendly , has no velcro, tuctab riser covers, and minimal (maybe 1/2") bridal exposure from flap to BOC pouch. Never had any problems with anything coming out of place and lord knows I've had my fare share of tumbles and minor collisions . Granted its probobly not one of the more "cooler rigs" but its a great fit and comfortable to fly. And after every jump I brush it off after packing and it looks like new every time I leave the plane:)jason

Thank you Prost!! Did you see what someone else wrote about the Wings "not lasting as long"??

Don't worry about it - a rig will last as long as you make it.. If I remember correctly, the designer of the Wings also helped design the Javelin years ago.. I know somebody jumping a Wings - with almost 1000 jumps on it - and he's had no problems.. It has lost a lot of its color....but I think that's more from being in the swoop pond around 75(literally) times.. :)Mike

I bought a new Talon2 with the multiflex and love it. Its FF friendly , has no velcro, tuctab riser covers, and minimal (maybe 1/2") bridal exposure from flap to BOC pouch. Never had any problems with anything coming out of place and lord knows I've had my fare share of tumbles and minor collisions .

I freefly with a Talon2 all the time and have never had a problem.. It's a great rig.. It's definitely the most comfortable rig I've ever jumped, and it looks good too......as long as you don't overstuff the main container, that is.. Looks like hell with a Lightning 160(which packs like a standard ZP190 or larger) in a container built for a 150 main.. ;)
Mike

Sweet! Thanks to everyone who posted. I had been looking Wings, but hadn't met anyone who jumped one. I think I'm going to start looking more in that direction. Now the hard part: Money. Too bad my Credit Cards are used quite a bit to help me out with living expenses/school/etc to just dump a rig on it...well, I'll get a few grand from the Marines for the summer, so maybe then. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Mr. Thomas stole the design of the Jav and then the Wings maker went on his own.

History lesson - Henri I-can't-spell-his-last-name ;)(now Wings) and Mike Furry (now Dolphin) designed the Javelin. At the time Henri was part of Sunshine Factory and Mike was part of Glide Path, thus the new company name - Sunpath. Derek Thomas was at the time a part of Thomas Sports Equipment in the UK. Later Glide Path had it's problems, Mike left Sunpath and began making Dolphins. Then Derek bought Sunpath. Then Henri designed and began selling the Wings.
Welcome to the incestual world of skydiving equipment!
pull and flare,
lisa