baronn

A rating for DZ operators?

How about creating a rating system for DZ operators? Instructors that have worked for these people in the past could relay their experiences and give someone who hasn't been there before a heads up on what to expect. I know you're going get the occasional "sour apples" person, but if you start hearing the same story again, there might be some legitimacy to it. What do you think?

Just to be clear - You mean to consider requiring some kind of extra requirement before someone wants to start their own business, with their own money, and take their own risk....

I think it's nuts. If someone wants to open a DZ and succeed or fail, then they should be able to do it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm pretty sure he is looking for something like a "Dropzone owner review" site where potential staff can look at reviews of a DZ for employment info and background. Figure out if the DZO is a nice guy or a prick that never actually pays the staff. I think its a bad idea but whatever...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just to be clear - You mean to consider requiring some kind of extra requirement before someone wants to start their own business, with their own money, and take their own risk....

That wasn't what I meant at all. Of course, if anyone wants to open up a dz, how would my opinion or anyone's matter to them? What I'm suggesting is generally summed up in Phree's post.

I don't know, I just can't quite decide which poll option to choose.

I hadn't meant to make it a poll originally; I didn't know how to make a plain thread. I am pretty terrible with computers.

How about creating a rating system for DZ operators? Instructors that have worked for these people in the past could relay their experiences and give someone who hasn't been there before a heads up on what to expect. I know you're going get the occasional "sour apples" person, but if you start hearing the same story again, there might be some legitimacy to it. What do you think?

And the purpose would be what?
And why would past employees be a significant voice?
And what is it you hope to accomplish with this idea and whom is it you wish to influence?

Sounds like a pointless idea to me but maybe it's just me...

pms

And what is it you hope to accomplish with this idea and whom is it you wish to influence?

I am still owed $2500 from an operator that is renowned for not paying his staff, His name is Jim Lyver, he owns NZSKDIVE in New Zealand, and they are constantly advertising for staff on this site.

An unsuspecting individual may fall for the tricks that make it sound nice working there (Glenorchy, NZ, one of the most beautiful places on earth, which it is.) then if you don't get paid, and you haven’t got any cash because you were not paid last month either.....

Paradise on earth soon becomes hell!

He has done this to many people.

Some people do not have good morals, and Jim Lyver is among the worst I have ever dealt with. He redefines the word Asshole!

People should be able know about these type of things before they fall victim to the vicious cycle.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I am still owed $2500 from an operator that is renowned for not paying his staff, His name is Jim Lyver, he owns NZSKDIVE in New Zealand, and they are constantly advertising for staff on this site.

An unsuspecting individual may fall for the tricks that make it sound nice working there (Glenorchy, NZ, one of the most beautiful places on earth, which it is.) then if you don't get paid, and you haven’t got any cash because you were not paid last month either.....

Paradise on earth soon becomes hell!

He has done this to many people.

Some people do not have good morals, and Jim Lyver is among the worst I have ever dealt with. He redefines the word Asshole!

People should be able know about these type of things before they fall victim to the vicious cycle.

Who needs a DZO review site - we've got dz.com!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I'm pretty sure he is looking for something like a "Dropzone owner review" site where potential staff can look at reviews of a DZ for employment info and background. Figure out if the DZO is a nice guy or a prick that never actually pays the staff. I think its a bad idea but whatever...

thanks, that clears it up. I think it's called "calling the current employees and asking about working there...."

Some public forum sounds like a bad idea - whiners and complainers (and anonymous competitors) would overwhelm the site with trashing.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That certainly is a possibility. I addressed that in my original post. I do, however see a lot of benefit about getting a heads up on what might be happening before you commit and have to find out otherwise.
I don't know if anyone talked to Dean from the Iraq DZ, but I have. A lot of questions and very few answers. You would have to pay to get there, bring your own gear and work with someone who hasn't made a jump yet. After I told him I wasn't interested, he asked me to rent him my gear. This guy clearly has no experience in this business and I would suggest anyone considering this to check the State dept. website on travel to Iraq. Getting stuck in a country that hates Americans with someone whose credibility is questionable, doing a startup DZ, would be a very ambitious move at best. I like the idea, it just appears a bit premature at this point. Hope this helps.

I have heard of similar scams run by English as Second Language Schools in the Orient.
They sometimes "forget" the last paycheck - for Canadians teaching abroad.

The answer is to approach the school principal - a few weeks before the end of your contract - and ask for your final pay check NOW!

This sounds like one of those lame-brained ideas invented by people who are afraid to tell someone to their face what the beef is.

"Let's go whine to someone else and hope someone else fixes my little butt-hurt..."

Whaaaaaa! You don't like what an operator does? Vote with your dollar or go tell him to his face and see if he cares enough to change. If not, leave with your friends and go somewhere else.

I am still owed $2500 from an operator that is renowned for not paying his staff, His name is Jim Lyver, he owns NZSKDIVE in New Zealand,

Is Small Claims Court available in New Zealand, and are you still there? That might be effective. Have a lot of TM's gotten ripped off by him?

Hi,

There is small claims court in New Zealand, I will get my money off him. I will have to make sure it is within 5 years of the invoices though.

I left New Zealand shortly after I worked there and have only been in the country for a week or two on two occasions since. There was too much snowboarding and ground launching to do, rather than chasing that fool around.

He is a 747 captain for Air New Zealand, so he should have plenty of cash (but doesn't) and is often in LA or London. If you manage a dropzone of his, he still barks orders to you from london or LA at all hours of the evening and morning:S.

I got a Debt collection agency onto him prior to leaving but he is too slimy at not paying and Baycorp obviously think $500 (for their fee) is not enough money to spend any sort of energy on getting out of him.

He does owe many people money and has insulted and left in the lurch so to speak, many people (T/M's, camera guys, packers. managers, marketing managers...) from many places.

He really is an Asshole.

I have travelled the world since and am earning really good money now so realy don't give a toss, but will get it our of him when I live in NZ again in the not too distant future.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If you manage a dropzone of his, he still barks orders to you from london or LA at all hours of the evening and morning:S.

Ain't that the truth!! In the end I stopped answering, but it didn't stop him calling!!!
Journey not destination.....

That certainly is a possibility. I addressed that in my original post. I do, however see a lot of benefit about getting a heads up on what might be happening before you commit and have to find out otherwise.

you mean like the Wind Tunnel forums here that are mostly advertising and bashing from insiders?

or the Rigging forum with the "Post your sexy (insert brand name equipment here)" posts?

Of course we can all vote by avoiding the situation. I realize I'm probably the only instructor on the planet that has been given a bunch of promises and had most or all of them broken once I committed. I don't need to "whine " to anyone. I just feel it would be beneficial to know if an operator is a trustworthy person or a place avoid. Most operators realize how important it is to have good staff and treat them accordingly. If you've been in the bus. for any length of time, you have an idea of what to expect. It's the few jerks out there that make something like this worthwhile and letting others know ahead of time could be a big benefit. Pointing your insults in the wrong direction does nothing to benefit the situation. I'm not trying to create any more drama, just avoid it.

I tend to agree that Jim Lyver or NZSkydive is a complete arsehole.He loves to employ overseas TMs and Camera because he knows they eventually go home and it is difficult to sue for unpaid wages if you are not in the country.I doubt anyone has left this company with all the pay they have been owed. Jims sister in law Erica who does the payroll is never without an excuse for why your pay isnt in the bank. She is a pathological liar. She is rude to staff and customers and has unrealistic expectations and constantly creats problems through her inept handling of the manifest then looks for people to blame when the shit hits the fan. Jim is the exception that proves the rule, all the other dz operators in NZ are up front and for the sport.

I tend to agree that Jim Lyver or NZSkydive is a complete arsehole.

Why not post a review on dropzone.com of your opinion? You might need to tone it down for the review to be accepted, but anyone thinking of going over there to work would likely see the dropzone.com reviews. There is one disgruntled camera man who put up a review who shares your opinion.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ