D22369

do you give free coaching jumps to low timers?

My home is a small dz (just the way I like it btw). If one of our student who has been with us the entire time needs a little help "getting" something, I kinda feel its my place to give as much help as possible. After all, where did we learn everything that we know?
When I was in the early stages of my learning, It was the "old timers" who helped me.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

I try to make it a point whenever possible to jump with newly licensed jumpers on my DZ to help them work on the things they have learned during thier student status. I will typically pay for my own slot, even if my slot is offered to be covered by the new licensed jumper. (I will tell them that when they are in my shoes in the future that they can do the same thing for another new jumpers, thats all I want, to keep the cycle going). I have had a few coaching jumps paid for by the people I have jumped with, but its only because they went to manifest and paid for my slot without my knowledge. B|

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I am just finishing my coach rating eval jumps now...

Our DZ rate is coach slot plus $10 cash for the required coaching to get your "A". Some of the college students who are coaches use the money as income, so I am going to be careful not to "under cut" the market rate... I have been encouraged to at least always get my slot paid for, to establish market rates, for these jumps....

However, I know if someone comes up to me and shows a lot of interest and asks a lot of great questions, I would spend a day jumping with them and not expect them to buy all my slots... If they hand me their yellow proficiency card and expect me to do all the work, and don't think beyond the signature lines, well, I am either not going to jump with them, or charge the full market rates.

I have only been in this sport a year, but I have a handful of hours of tunnel and over 120 coached (that I had to pay the coach for) 4way jumps, so I know I have little tidbits in RW already I can pass down... PLUS, I learn A LOT while coaching, following the "learn once, do once, teach once" school of thought... I have SO MUCH to learn, and being a coach is a tool to learn too.

I have jumped with many, many newly minted "A" jumpers... A few weeks ago I got a great compliment... A guy was doing a solo for his 1st "licenced" jump... I made it a two way. We jumped again... Then on the third jump, he said, "Can I buy your slot so we can jump again because I am learning a lot and appreciate all the info you have given me." I said, "Absolutely not, I will pay my own slot for the rest of the day... Lets manifest." Just seeing someone appreciate and offer to buy was enough payment for me... (and the fact we went from struggling with back sliding all the way to turning points was fun too.:)

gess i'm the only one who's giving free jumps only to the hotties :)

ok - i'll try to stay serious: where i jump students are reqired to make at least 3 coach-jumps after being cleared for solojumping and before getting their a-license. these 3 jumps are covered with their fees. so i guess i get paid in some kind of way.

i haven't charged any extra cash for coaching up to now and most of the time i accept it when slots are offered. if the attitude of the jumper is right, i have no problem paying for my slot. if the attitude sucks (hasn't happened yet) i'd take extra cash for shure.

edit: charging 70 bucks for a coach jump from a non-a-licensed newbie is ridiculous. otoh - if i was doing serious training with one of the top-cracks, it might be worth the dough
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I had to pay to get my rating, so I really think it's only fair to earn it back. I get paid $10 for a coach jump.

Now once they're off student status everything changes. I regularly jump with low-timers, sometimes offering free video, sometimes offering free coaching.

When I'm getting paid I offer a level of instuction and profesionalism that far exceeds what I do when I'm doing it for free. Students get at least a half-hour of one:one ground school before the jump when I get paid, but that gets skipped when I'm doing it for free.

When people pay me to jump with them, they get more than what they paid for.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

edit: charging 70 bucks for a coach jump from a non-a-licensed newbie is ridiculous. otoh - if i was doing serious training with one of the top-cracks, it might be worth the dough

I think he meant that's the total that the student pays...including two slots, gear rental, the coach's fee (if any), and the dz's cut (if any). $70 ain't quite so far-fetched under those terms. I do know one dz that charges $107 for such a package, and I do think that's ridiculous.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think he meant that's the total that the student pays...including two slots, gear rental, the coach's fee (if any), and the dz's cut (if any). $70 ain't quite so far-fetched under those terms. I do know one dz that charges $107 for such a package, and I do think that's ridiculous.

Blues,
Dave

At "Home"
$23 Student Slot
$23 Coach Slot
$10 Cash to Coach
$25 Gear Rental
------
$81

at my DZ while the students are doing their coached jumps to get off student status, we get our slot paid for. Once they are off student status, they don't have to pay anyone anything for a coach jump.

i usually try to get on everybodies first off-student status jump. its fun to do something easy and fun and watch the student nearly pee themselves with glee. ;)

MB 3528, RB 1182

thanks for explaining what is included in these 70 $.
gear rental is included in the fees our studentens pay - and they don't travel from dz to dz to do their jumps. usually they have to stick to one school until they get licensed.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

For jumpers that are off student status, I'll do a 'coaching' jump anytime I have the time available.

It's called giving back.

Every skydive is a fun skydive, and I think it's great to see people discover new things as they learn to fly. When someone gets down from a jump where they just did _____ for the first time, it's great.

Plus, they have to buy beer...

;)
illegible usually

I usually only ask for my slot. There are really good coaches at my DZ that charge slot+$10. I feel that I'm worth my slot. At the point that I get my AFFI, I'll probably ask for slot+$10.

If the student feels like I did a really good job, they can tip me the extra $10. Rarely does it happen, but sometimes it does.

I also hint to students about tipping coaches. Usually, they don't know that's acceptable, so it's good to let them subtley know that it's a good practice. I also make sure they see me tipping my own coaches if I think they did a good job.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If I'm helping them work on their "A" license card then I charge (its part of your student program). If its not a jump that is specifically working on the card then no I do it for free..... I remember a lot of people putting up with me when I was a low timer and like the idea of giving back what was given to me.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I try to do what I can to help new jumpers out. I'm often too busy on the weekends with tandems, but if I'm not, I'll jump with them. Sometimes, it's to work on their license requirements, otherwise, just skills (and confidence) building.

It's great to have my slot covered, but I don't worry about it. Others have said it already: I prefer to think of it as giving back. Getting through the student program is expensive enough without me trying to make a buck.

Our DZ normally charges $65 for a coach jump, plus gear rental for the day is $35.

I'll jump w/anyone... although shortly after I got my Coach rating I moved to a new city and the jump season is winding down so I haven't really done much coaching yet...

at this point I'm still learning a lot myself... and being at a new dz... people don't really know me that well yet. so I'm taking it slow and trying to get to know the crowd first...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I used to coach for free, back when I had a real Monday-to-Friday job and jumped for fun on weekends.
It was much easier when clubs ran DZs. For example, the old St. Catherines Parachute Club let me coach for free. Sometimes they stretched the definition a bit as I remember being in freefall - with a stop watch - timing a guy's "C" License style set.
Hee!
Hee!
But that changed when jumpers stopped buying beer after reserve rides, etc.

For the majority of us who have been around for a few years I would hope that people would do coaching for free.

I remember a coach tell me once after doing an absolutely free coach dive (he even payed his own slot) with me tell me "You can pay me back by doing this for someone else some day." That has stayed with me ever time I go up with a newbie. I would hope others do this.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

You know, you get what you pay for...

"Going up with a newbie" and actually carrying out a coach dive from beginning to end are two completely different things. Coach jumps take time and carry responsibility.

You want a coach jump - that'll be my slot plus 15 bucks. You just want to go do a jump with me, and I'm not busy doing an AFF, tandem video, or team training, and I feel like "going up with a newbie", then I'll cover my own slot, show you the video, and give you a couple pointers for free.

Canuck