vidiot

Would you do a tandem with your wife as a passenger ?

I know you all would vote YES to 'Would You Jump Your Wife' - I hope. But...

Inspired by a recent thread regarding TM qualification jumps...

Would you jump with your better half as your tandem passenger?

I'd love to take her for a ride. Did video twice for her, but always declined to be her TM.

I'd love too, but what if shit happened? Who would drive our daughter home?

Klaus
My Logbook

First I'd have to get my tandem rating -

Then I'd have to persuade her to jump - See, I affectionately refer to her as not only a whuffo but a "ground-hugging" whuffo. In the nicest sense, of course.

But if the first two criteria were met, then hell yes!

Easy Does It

Don't have a wife. When I did there was no such thing as tandem jumping. So we threw her out of the plane with gutter gear on.

My daughter has 8 jumps with me, though.

I've offered my ex a free tandem so she could get her freefall, but she declines.

[:/]
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I would take my future wife with me, but then again, now-a-days we simply go on skydives together since she's got about 200 jumps and I'm slowly teaching her how to freefly between tandems and weather.

Then again, we don't have children so if I'm in another plane crash and she's with me and we don't make it, it just sucks for friends and family, we don't have to worry about kids. We've talked about not being on loads together (if at all possible) except for occasionally once we have kids.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My wife just did recurrencey ground training yesterday (A License holder); I had another instructor that I trust to be through train her for emergency procedures. She did not require an AFF instructor jump with her, if she had I would have had another instructor (that I trust to be through) do the instructional jump with her. There seems to be hindrances I have witnessed when a husband trains his wife – as an instructor I must be totally in charge of the training, as a husband I treat my wife as an equal as much as my egocentric, macho and testosterone drenched personality is able. There have been times while training a student that I have had to stop and tell a student with control issues “I’ll be the instructor and you be the student”. If that hint dosent work I will tell them to shut the hell up, leave their control issues at home or go find another instructor. This level of control that I must have over skydive training sessions may transfer to the tranquility my wife and I share. There are other competent instructors at our DZ that can train her (if none I trust are available, I will work with her if needed).
I’ll prefer to just go down with her for fun…

Of course, that is just us, others may have different situations... Not one packing method applies for all - ya know???
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have jumped my wife 3 times at a Tandem course.
She has over 450 jumps (solo) and is a USPA coach and IAD Instrictor. Under canpoy she told me how proud of me she was. It was kinda nice, never had the fear of "what if we both die" however we have no childeren either. Hope this helps.

My wife is an experienced jumper, and was the passenger many times for a number of us getting our ratings. I didn't think twice about way back then, but now I won't do it. We have four kids and probably shouldn't put both their parents on one rig together. Stuff does happen, ya know. We still jump together, though, 'cause we really trust our pilots.

I have 5 kids. My wife has made it very clear that she will NEVER jump EVER with ANYONE, but if she would I'd love to take her. I don't try to talk her into it though. Not because I'm afraid we'll die and leave the kids alone, but what if she sprains an ankle or something. Then it would be my fault for talking her into it.

I guess if I didn't think it was safe enough for my wife, I couldn't in good conscience do it with someone else's wife or Mom or whatever either.

There's always a chance of some kind of freak accident or plane crash, but we ride together in the same car together all the time. We don't worry about dying together then (except for if she's driving;))

T

No kids yet, but we are planning on it within 2 years or so. Iknow a few couples with children who won't fly on the same load due to the "what if something happens to us scenario" which I have absolutely the utmost respect for. For me personally, I hope that we will always continue to jump together for my tandem recurrencies, even after we have kids. Here are my five reasons:
1) I trust myself, my wife and my gear.
2) I trust in God's will
3) She and I met on the DZ, skydiving connects us.
4) In the unlikely even something happens to both of us, our family and friends are so close knit, intertwined with each other, that our future children would be very much loved and very well taken care of.
5) Lastly, I hope to impart on my future children the idea that every single day we are alive is a gift. And its our responsibility to make the most of every day we are given. Follow your heart and live true to yourself. (If I didnt continue to jump with my wife, I would be less "me", yah know what I mean? I look forward to it too darn much).

-Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Before our son was born, I swore I'd never get on a load with my husband after having children. Not only do I often get on the same load with him, but I was a passenger for one of his tandem training jumps...NEVER AGAIN, but that's just because I hate being an experienced jumper without a rig/control. Problem with not being on the same load as your spouse is that you can never jump with him/her again, and that's something we really enjoy...I'm much more comfortable being on a load with my husband now than immediately after our son was born.

I've done 5 jumps with her! No kids, she's got 60+ jumps, but broke her back a few years ago from a bad landing. Her back is healed, but she has yet to reach a point where she feels ready to do recurrence training to get back to jumping by herself. So she gets to air out with me once in a while!
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I figured I would be scared as hell taking my daughter on a tandem, i.e. it's all fun and games when it's someone ELSE'S offspring strapped to the front of you, but that didn't prove to be the case. It was without a doubt one of the most enjoyable jumps I've made, and she knows that if she ever wants to learn to jump, all she has to do is say the word and we'll start her tandem-AFF progression. My ex, who never became my wife despite our plans to the contrary, made 7 tandems with me and was going to be my first live AFF student, single JM no less. That however proved to be outside her comfort zone so she stuck with tandems. I have a standing offer to my mom, dad, brother, and sister for a tandem, my treat, anytime they wish.

In short...sure I would. I love skydiving, and sharing it with someone I love is, simply put, the best.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I took my oldest daughter on a tandem this summer. I figured if I was good enough for other peoples' sons and daughters, it would be hypocritical not to take my own daughter. It didn't even make me nervous. I just did my job like I always do. My wife swooped us and we had a great time. Andy got great video. B|

Hey Deuce! Whats's up?

Took my daughter up for a nice beach-sunset-tandem when she was nine. It was great!

Not until my kids are adults.

Same agreement here. No problem to fly/drive together, but not on the same canopy. Not that I think anything will go wrong, it just feels like tempting fate.

Does thath make sense?

Klaus
My Logbook

For some reason I don't see your wife as a TI. I see her moving towards the rigging aspect of the sport.

With her meticulousness, (new word) her skills would find better application in the rigging side of the sport. Although this skill would apply very nicely towards tandems as well.

Wouldn't it be cool though if she did get her TI and took my wife on a tandem jump. Now thems is good apples. Although they both have good apples.;)
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Let's see...
Wife and I docked on our oldest child's tandem (before i got my rating).

I did my next oldest kids tandem and wife docked on us.

Wife wants to do my recurrency jump with me this spring.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"