Bushmasta

Packing

Just got my A and will be buying some new gear. I will probably go with a Hornet as my first main. Question is, i only know how to flat pack. What do you recommend? No one at my DZ psycho packs, they say it is a very unpredictable pack job. Everyone flat packs or pro packs. are there any videos about psycho packing? Can i flat pack a Hornet?

We say this so frequently, someone should spray paint it on the homepage.
DON'T BUY NEW EQUIPMENT.
Buy a used main at least. Expect to keep it for about a hundred jumps. Expect to land it in mud, Expect to land it in a tree. It's suck if you just put your new $1500 canopy in a tree, wouldn't it?
As for packing, LEARN TO PRO PACK. Flat packing tapered and eliptical canopies sucks as the cells don't line up when you lay it down.
Don't worry about all the problems people complain about with ZP. Your Hornet uses Gelvenor (sp?) fabric which is very easy to pack. People who have trouble packing have PD canoies, which uses a much more slipery fabric.
_Am

No one at my DZ psycho packs, they say it is a very unpredictable pack job. Everyone flat packs or pro packs. are there any videos about psycho packing?

Psycho packing has always given me very predictable openings.....I don't know what the people with "unpredictable" openings are doing wrong, but they're probably doing the same thing wrong when they pro pack.. I don't know of any videos regarding psycho packing, but you can read about it at the link below..
http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm
If you click on 'Psycho packing the 7 cell ZP main' link at the top right, you will get pictures on how to psycho pack..
Mike

Another vote here for psycho packing. We learned how to flat pack our canopies this past time we jumped and it is wonderful! Icarus recommends that you psycho pack the Safire, so some guy showed us how to do it and it actually makes BRAND NEW ZP easy to pack and I have had no problems with it. Also, my opening was slow and on-heading. Laura said she had a couple of line twists, but I'm thinking it was body position.
It is very easy to do and works very well. I have been told numberous times that you can't flat pack a Safire (you CAN, but not easily or efficiently) because the cells get shorter and wider the further out you get.
Good luck!!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

I strongly recommend you learn to pro-pack first. Most manufacturers recommend it, and it is the most intuitive method of packing. The psycho pack is a good modification, but is basically just an addition of a few steps to a standard propack.
As others have mentioned, a used ZP canopy or a canopy with tackier fabric (like a Triathalon) can help you with your first pack jobs. In addition, canopies like the Silhouette can be good to practice on, since they are ZP-F111 hybrids.
Aerodyne Research has an excellent propacking video. It's for the Triathalon, but is applicable to any ZP canopy.
-bill von

The worst thing about psycho packing is its scary title.
The best thing about psycho packing is the roll that comes late in the process. This roll can be applied to any packing method because it help pre-compress the fabric and hold it together while you shove it into the d-bag.
May I suggest another method for bagging a ZP canopy?
The Ludwig method starts with pro-packing the canopy until it is laying on the floor and dressed to the same width as the d-bag. Kneel on the canopy about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom. Slide the d-bag under the canopy and clamp it in place with your knees. For the next minute or two your knees will be clamp the canopy to the d-bag to the floor, preventing the slider or lines from shifting and leaving your hands free. Now grab the canopy halfway up and shove that into the top corners of the d-bag. Continue shoving until the upper corners of the d-bag are firm.
Shove the remaining top skin into the d-bag.
Cock the pilotchute.
Lift your knees.
S-fold the slider and bottom of canopy into the center of the d-bag.
Stow some lines in the first rubber band.
Lean back to admire your workmanship.

>Assuming that the manufacturer doesn't "forbid" it, is there any reason a psycho pack shouldn't be used on F-111 material?
Not really; a psycho pack is essentially a propack with respect to the important parts of the pack job (slider position, line position, nose position and air channel layout.)
-bill von