Krip

Ho many different sq canopy's have you owned

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

Almost back in the day when the sq's first came out it looked like the gear manufactures were using the fun jumpers as test jumpers.

It seemed like some jumpers were a member of the new sq canopy a year/6 mo club trying to work out the bugs and find a kinder and gentler canopy.

I stayed with what worked for me and my weight (135#), my belly wart and PC:)

After college we moved around and tried to stay with the same gear until 1975. The folks at the DZ didn't like what they saw and I didn't like the new attitude at the DZ's.

We quit for 10 years wanteed to get our knee's back in the breeze asked some old friends for advice and bought a crusie lite and swift reserve in a vector II for our first state of the art custom made rig. :)

The sqs were fine until around 500 jumps when the cruisleight started to snivel bad.:( To bad it never occured to me to pull higher and enjoy the nice slow soft opening. Or I would have jumped it until I quit.

The originial Sabre's had hit the market by that time and we talked to some peeps at Z-hills who steered us away from the 190 and recommended the sabre 170. By then we weighed a "little more" than 170#'s .

The sabre was a nice canopy and we put 3-400 jumps on it Until we finaly quit a few yr's ago. If I was still jumping that canopy would still be good enough for me.:)
After the longggggg lead in how many sq's have you guy's had over the yr's, did you ever feel like a test jumper, what do you think about the current trend. In the industry.

K-RIP

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

Almost back in the day when the sq's first came out it looked like the gear manufactures were using the fun jumpers as test jumpers.

It seemed like some jumpers were a member of the new sq canopy a year/6 mo club trying to work out the bugs and find a kinder and gentler canopy.

I stayed with what worked for me and my weight (135#), my belly wart and PC:)

After college we moved around and tried to stay with the same gear until 1975. The folks at the DZ didn't like what they saw and I didn't like the new attitude at the DZ's.

We quit for 10 years wanteed to get our knee's back in the breeze asked some old friends for advice and bought a crusie lite and swift reserve in a vector II for our first state of the art custom made rig. :)

The sqs were fine until around 500 jumps when the cruisleight started to snivel bad.:( To bad it never occured to me to pull higher and enjoy the nice slow soft opening. Or I would have jumped it until I quit.

The originial Sabre's had hit the market by that time and we talked to some peeps at Z-hills who steered us away from the 190 and recommended the sabre 170. By then we weighed a "little more" than 170#'s .

The sabre was a nice canopy and we put 3-400 jumps on it Until we finaly quit a few yr's ago. If I was still jumping that canopy would still be good enough for me.:)
After the longggggg lead in how many sq's have you guy's had over the yr's, did you ever feel like a test jumper, what do you think about the current trend. In the industry.

K-RIP

I only have about 20 in the loft.... wanna jump some old stuff???:)

12 (Roughly in order of appearance) : Para-Flite DC-5, Para-Flite Nimbus XL, Pioneer TMC-1 (Tactical Main Canopy 1), Para-Flite Cruiselite XL, PD 260, Excalibur 190, Sabre 190, Stiletto 170, Stiletto 150, Vengeance 135, Vector Tandem 421, EZ 384.

Felt like a test jumper on the Nimbus XL, Nimbus, and Excalibur.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

First to last:
1980: Viking Superlite (230)
1983: Firefly (170, then 2 cells added for 220 when it got porous)
2002: Safire 149
2004: Diablo 135
2008: Pilot 150 (loaned for a year), then back to the Diablo
2011: Stiletto 135

I guess you could say I've been downsizing gradually.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

FWIW, my regular canopies:
1991: Titan 265
2003: Sabre 135
2004: FX 88

Along the way I picked up some odds and ends for specific purposes or to play with:
Parafoil 282
Maverick 200 CRW
Firelite 172 CRW
Evolution 140
Cobalt 75

That's leaving out some triangular and round shaped canopies.

from smallest to largest...

Currently I'm jumping a 210 with a 220 reserve.

I assume the 400 and maybe the 325 were tandem rigs and maybe the 220+ is your demo rig

You stopped jumping the 150 when the wingloading started to increase due to your added age and lbs.

I wanteed to downsize for the smaller pack volume but I just couldn't lose the pounds to keep the WL in my safety zone.

I never owned one but I did make ONE jump on "The Nova". Don't remember the size but it was "the Nova" as soon as I poped the breaks I knew I was behind the curve:(

OMFG I just made one slight turn to get it headed to the wide open spaces and couldn't wait to get my body on the ground in one piece. The damn canopy was flying faster than my brain.B|

from smallest to largest...

Currently I'm jumping a 210 with a 220 reserve.

I assume the 400 and maybe the 325 were tandem rigs and maybe the 220+ is your demo rig

You stopped jumping the 150 when the wing-loading started to increase due to your added age and lbs.

I wanted to downsize for the smaller pack volume but I just couldn't lose the pounds to keep the WL in my safety zone.

I never owned one but I did make ONE jump on "The Nova". Don't remember the size but it was "the Nova" as soon as I popped the breaks I knew I was behind the curve:(

OMFG I just made one slight turn to get it headed to the wide open spaces and couldn't wait to get my body on the ground in one piece. The damn canopy was flying faster than my brain.B|

The 400 is a tandem canopy but the 325 (mighty Mac) is for jumping flags.

I quit jumping the 150 not because of weight issues, I weigh the less now as I did in college, 240 then...220 now. I just can't RUN as fast so I up-sized! ;)

The smallest canopy I've been on was a 120 something or other...I was invited to jump a demo while traveling in Norway a few years back. They loaned me a rig and there was some miscommunication...the 190 was the reserve not the main, I tossed the pilot chute, looked up and said...Oh Shit! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My first was a Baby-plane , later with a steering flap attached
2,3 , and4 Para-plane clouds no sliders at first then relined with sliders Lots of cutaways before sliders
A white Unit #26 only color out then {lots of cutaways}
A Comet 300 {288} first jump cutaway never again in 700
A 288 Manta 2000 jumps never cutaway
A Sabre -I- 210 2478 3 cutaways
a Sabre -I-190 400 no cutaways
A Sabre II -210 1300 no cutaways Also jumped A DC-5 -300
252 foil . A Spectre, Pegasus and Strato-star

Unit 2
Unit 4
DC-5......almost forgot this bus
XL Cloud
LR-288
2 different PD 260s
4 different Mantas
190 Batwing....what a ride
190 first generation Sabre....3 cutaways
Spectre 210......best canopy I ever owned
and dozens and dozens of tandem canopies I never actually owned.....I guess they dont count.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

i'd agree... about "in the field fine tuning".. though i'd guess some sort of REAL testing HAD occured before Ram Airs were sold to the general public...

i was VERY active in jumping then and was blessed to have a wonderful Dz 20 minutes away. we alll followed with interest... some guys had a voracious interest.. as the change to squares began.. In direct contrast to the HOT -To- GO jumpers, who HAdda have one now, were skydivers like me... scaredy cats i guess...who took a "wait & see approach" Like some., i too,, was not in a hurry Fix anything!!. i knew how to spot, was comfortable and pretty capable with a round , and could usually find the landing area/ peas.
But YES alot of jumpers got hurt, [:/] or worse.. many sure as hell scared themselves at one time or another, and most had a cutaway,,or two to show for their efforts.

My 1st square jump and maybe the next 30 were on ParaPlane Clouds. Rings and Ropes. 2 MA 1 pilot chutes from a minis system or a styleMaster rig...ONE Jump on a Strato-Star a few on a Prar Foil 181 i think. (borrowed from pals)
never a mal:|

as for owning :)1. heavy weight cloud sliderized bought a custom color, from the original owner
whom i knew , around 1980
2. Para-Foil 252 cause i liked accuracy. Used THAT rig for my nscr dive:ph34r:B|
Great No wind landing. 11 Pm at night..1981
3. Light Weight Cloud '88 or so
4. RW Challenger 240 with split slider, custom colors the ONLY main parachute i ever bought....NEW. 1991
5. Spectre 210 which came in a Jav j5 with a 225 reserve, that i bought pre owned 2000
6. A second RW Challenger 240 because i liked the colors and it was 150 dollars;) 2003
7. a Spectre 230, d.o.m. august 2009. cause i liked the colors,, even if it WASN't a hundred and fifty bucks...:|:SB|;) 2011

i still have all of them except the 252Foil
oh and at one point or another i owned a pegasus another lightweight cloud and a stilletto 170, maybe.. none of which i ever jumped, but which i bought from friends, who'd slowed down and which i made available to others who were more active...
piece of advice....." Don't DO that !!!" especially when YOU lay out all the $$$$ to buy the stuff and then waaaiiiittt for payments.,.. from the Buyers!!!cause you just couldn't resist letting them "jump the gear, while they paid for it"..
hahaha leave the gear sales to the pros...
jt

My list in order of owning:
Heavyweight Delta Cloud-3 cutaways
Cruiselite XL-0 cutaways
Nimbus-0 cutaways
Nimbus XL-0 cutaways
2 Raiders-0 cutaways
175 Triathlon- 1 cutaway
170 Spectre- 0 cutaways
Tandem Canopies:
Strong 500-0 cutaways
Strong 425-2 cutaways
Strong 400-2 cutaways
Strong 360-0 cutaways

in order of appearance :
Sabre1 150 +PD-143R
Safire2 139
Crossfire2 119 + Techno 115
PD-106R
Neos 109
Batwing120
BT50

I sold the Sabre1 and the Crossfire2 (but I would like to get that one back, she is in Sweden AFAIK)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've owned + jumped:

252 foil (*)
150 spectre
143 lightning
135 spectre/safire/vengeance (*)
126 lightning
124 pilot
120 triathlon/diablo/fusion (*)
119 safire

First canopy was a spectre 150 @ 75 jumps and a WL of 1.0.
Smallest jumped are 104/107 sqft canopies.

I settled for ~120 sqft as that is fun to fly but gets me back from long spots too.

(*) I still own

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hercules 5 cell
Manta 288
Manta 260
Manta 288ZP
Manta 260ZP
Falcon 300
Falcon 265
Falcon 235
Raider 220
Navigator's (tested various sizes for DZ student rigs)
Safire 229
Safire 189
Safire1 169
XFire1 169
Safire2 169
Pilot 168
Precision/Icarus 365

Favorite canopies: Falcon 300, Safire 1 169, P/I 365
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Starting in 1979, I have owned:

Strato-Star made by Eddie Grimm
Strato-Cloud Lite 230
Cruislire 220
Sidewinder 210 7-cell
Shrike 220 9-cell
Sabre 1-150
Sabre 1-170
Sabre 1-150
Sabre 1-135
Nova 150
Stiletto 135