fonz

Opinions wanted

Somebody claimed (not here) that it was unsafe for students to use Digitudes because they're allegedly more difficult to read than analog altimeters. Is this true, or just a load of bollocks?
I'm inclined to think that the Digutude vs. analog question is a matter of personal preference rather than anything else.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven/skydive

I love my digitude. I liked it way more the first time I jumped it. I'm a product of my environment. I like gadgets and such. My opinion is that the digitude is more accurate than the analog but it may be a information processing thing rather than true accuracy. My brain is wired differently. I swear.
Chris

I don't know, but personally I like the idea of an analog device. I just need a perspective on where I am in the sky, not actual numbers. The dial on the analog to me feels like the sky and the needle lets me know how much I've fallen and how much is left. At that point I don't really want to know the numbers to the last feet. I'm ok with being able to assess that I'm half or a quater way between 5000 and 4000 or at 4000. Since I don't open all the way down in the 2000s I guess I have a tolerance for a few hundred feet plus and minus.

Students need to only add one thing at a time to a skydive. Let them stay with what they are comfortable with. They are already putting themselfs into a new enviroment with new objectives, the last thing they need to worry about is having to learn a new was to read the altimeter while still doing all the required objectives on their jump. A 6 can look like an 8 at first glance if the sun is glinting on it or the LCD crystal can be broke and not show that little bar. The analog are easier to read at a glance. Once you learn your environment then you can add things like audibles, digitudes, etc but at first keep it simple and change as few things as possible.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

I love my digitude. I liked it way more the first time I jumped it. I'm a product of my environment. I like gadgets and such. My opinion is that the digitude is more accurate than the analog but it may be a information processing thing rather than true accuracy. My brain is wired differently. I swear.

Yeah, I think maybe you are!
NASA research on human factors has shown that certain things are much better represented in an analog format -- altitude is one of them.
Notice that on a lot of the glass cockpits and HUDs that even though they are totally digital, certain things get represented not just in a numeric readout for dead-nuts accuracy, but also as a bar graph or tape. Usually, the graphic is much larger than the numeric display. Trends are much more easily noticed without having to really focus on the exact display.
I also like analog readouts for watches. Much easier to do UTC calcs on an analog watch just by looking at it.
quade
http://futurecam.com

When I was a student I had no problems with the normal altimeter. When I was given a digitude, I lost track of altitude and the jumpmaster deployed for me at 4k. It was just weird to read after being used to the regular altimeter. I jump a digitude fine now though.

Damn..... I had this like 5 page generic long flame typed up that I was customizing for use on ya Chris and then I happened to glance back here and well..... I just can't bring my self to flame ya since I know what you ment and you actually said the word Sorry.... Oh well, I'll just save the flame for someone else later.... :D
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

I've jumped a digitude from jump 1 without a single issue. I never had any problem reading it or understanding what the numbers meant. Everyone at my old home DZ learned on them, and as far as I have seen from the DZ I currently jump at the uses analog, they actually had a lower loss of altitude awareness rate. Derek has a good story of a Dr. not pulling cause she for some reason thought the altimeter was like a watch and went clockwise instead of counter clockwise. :D I've seen a lot of video of the student looking at the altimeter and still not pulling, when they came down they said it just didn't register.
Anyway, I had no issues with it, and maybe cause I actually had to look at it, the altitude registed more than just glancing to see if I was in the "yellow". I still jump one and all I have to do now is glance cause my brain is programmed to know what that number means.

I think having to actually read the digital while in a dive must take some getting used to. Id probably stick with a regular analog. 1st lesson in safety is to stick to what you are familiar with. If you are going to use a Digitude wear both a digitude as well as an analog until you are used to the digitude. I think a digitude must be nice once the canopy is open, probably more accurate.
Cheers
Dale
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.
- Zadok Rabinwitz

>Somebody claimed (not here) that it was unsafe for students to use Digitudes
>because they're allegedly more difficult to read than analog altimeters. Is this
> true, or just a load of bollocks?
I think they are just as easy to read but a bit harder to interpret. It's easy to think "Needle in red - pull reserve immediately" a little tougher to think "1.80 - that's less than 2.0 - so I should pull my reserve immediately." Both are usable, but I prefer analogs, both because I think they are a little easier to interpret and because they're more durable than the Digi.
-bill von

Skycat stole my thunder, we learned at the same DZ. We used digital, and the thought was, when the instructor says 5.5 and writes 5.5 your eye will see 5.5 on the readout.
Also, it seems like the actual number would stick in your head like a picture more so than the analog for students. For things like "At what altitude did you do your second circle of awareness?" Have an exact number like 9.4 would be a better answer than "around 9" for the jumpmaster.
I jump a analog.
Fly Your Slot !

I go, generally, with the old axeom that one new thing at a time is best. If you went through student training using an analougue one then may as well stick with what you know for the time being and not introduce new things into the equation until you are super comfortable. I would stick with analogue until you are more comfy and REALLY current. You don't want to be in the air when you realize you have a high speed function are fighting the canopy then realize you can't make heads or tails out of the lightly familiar digitude.
Just a thought
Drewfus McDoofus

I don't think it matters personally what a student uses. I just know that a digitude is uneccesary unless you need specific altitudes at specific times. I needed it for the AFFCC. The diff. between a couple of hundred feet made a big difference. Again though I think it is unecessary.............I also think analogue is easier to read.........just my $.02
SEBAZZ.......

I just like knowing that when I see the needle pointing straight to the right I know its time to pull!!! But its what I trained with and what I jump with ....so why change a good thing!! just my opinion......whatever works for ya though!
jason

Personally, I like the digitude because you know your exact altitude. It requires you to look at your altitude and not just look at your altimeter. if you ask many students they will tell you that they looked at their altimeter a few times during freefall, but will not tell you who high they were because they did not look for that. I think a student will perform well on whatever you teach him or her. Just be consistent. After that it will be a matter of choice to use a digital or analog altimeter.
Alex

My opinion is that the digitude is more accurate than the analog but it may be a information processing thing rather than true accuracy

I'm a gadget geek too, but there's somethings I just prefer to be analog. These involve speedometers, tachometers, clocks, and yes - altimeters.
Wearing a digitude to me is the same as having a digital speedometer in my car. I hated that! I want to see trends, I want to see the range, I don't want just a number.
A needle just seems like such a good way to indicate a number.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999