47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Note - letters where used for RATE and NOT part of the Serial number:

Robert's reply:

Jo, Go to Wikipedia and search for "Service Number (United States Armed Forces)".

You will find that since the WWI time period, all US Armed Forces have used service numbers that included prefixes and/or suffixes. In the Army, RA stood for Regular Army, US for Army of the United States, NG for National Guard, etc., etc..

Jo writes:

:(Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source and you know this. Wikipedia is contributed to by the man on the street - it is NOT an Encyclopedia nor and reference guide for the military.
Take what they say about Weber - it is incorrect, but since I am not the source I cannot change it even with black and white documentations...therefore inaccuracies regarding Weber remain on the site while others are able to make changes periodically. I do NOT know who created the story about Weber, but it is NOT accurate.

-------------------------

Robert99, you also made the statement below:

"That Maritime Commission that you refer is probably not the Navy but may be something connected with the Merchant Marine which was a civilian organization in World War 2. However, some Merchant Marines were designated as veterans a few years ago."

Jo writes:

:|I will concede on this point and I am trying to copy the document it appears on. It was a poor copy when I received it and I do NOT have good success making printed document available on the thread, but I will try. Look for it this evening or in the morning.

Robert's reply:

Jo, YOU are the one who hasn't done any meaningful research to back up your allegations!

Jo Retorts:
I have done more than the FBI did and so did Doug and others on my behalf - the FBI refused to look at these papers.

-----------------------------

MILITARY DOCUMENT of DUANE L. WEBER provided to the FBI prior to 1998 by Jo Weber and Doug Pasternac formerly of the U.S. News and World Reports.
This was 2 yrs after I asked the FBI to investigate Duane Weber and received their little disclaimer letter when the FBI had denied Weber's History per the family records. These documents were found by Doug after extensive searching and time. The FBI did NOT find them.

U. S. Maritime Commission appears on a Registration Card with Summit 13 handwritten in the upper right hand corner.

Serial Number
N 91-A Duane Lorin Weber
Order Number 12,035-A
Address:
160 Oak Rd, Stow, Ohio.

Telephone 021-8970
Age 19
Birth Willoughby, Oh

DATE of BIRTH 6/18/22
Note Duane was born in 1924 and not 1922. Perhaps this is when he was trying to enlist as a minor in the war efforts. We do know he tried to falsify his birthcertificate in order to get into the Navy.

Name and address or person who will always know your address:
Handwriting different from above.
(Mother) Mrs. C.J. Weber -Same address.

#8 states Employer's Name and Address
U.S. Maritime Commision

This is why I concede on this, but still DO not understand what it means. There is NO date on this document I believe it connect to Selective Service , Local Board No. 13 of Summit County, Ohio, Akron, Ohio.

Obviously Weber was trying to pass himself off as being 2 yrs older than he accually was because he falsified his birthdate.
He was born June 18, 1924.

Another document indicates

Duane Reported on Jun 18 1941 with a serial number of 283 56 96
In a separate part of the document is AS given as a Rate and NOT part of the serial number.

On the bottom
Date transferred - Jun 19, 1941
to U.S.N.T.S, Newport, R.I.
EARL V. SHERMAN, Lt.Cdr., U.S. Navy

Received Jun 20, 1941
Shiped or statIoned from:
NAV.TRA.STA. NEWPORT, R.I.
Rectg.Sta., Cleveland, Ohio
C.W. Magruder, Capatin, USN.

Stamped across this is June 28 1941 - that was his 17th birthday.
So he was bearly 17 when he left for Neport R.I. In fact per the document he left on his birthdate.

Assigned to Selective Training and Service CARD (D.S.S. 166)
mailed to BuNav in accordane with SECNAV despatch 1216 of 12 October 1940.

Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

The site won't let me enlarge the photo and the other alternate photos so I can get a good look at the hardware. Did people change hardware on these harnesses? Remember I know NOTHING about a chute and to this day have never seen one up close or touched one.

I have had to do the FBI's job for them and that is a terrible thing...15 yrs of my life was taken from me because NO one could see what was right in front of them.

No-one took anything from you, Jo. You decided to spend 15 years of your life chasing after this. It was your decision, your choice, not anyone else's fault.

So you are saying NO ONE TOOK anything from anyone as a result of Cooper. Tina's life was destroyed - are you going to say that is her doing? You are a mother and a woman - but, you have no compassion. Perhaps your life has never been challenged - and you have never had to prove yourself.

Never condemn what another claims about their feelings until YOU yourself have actually been in the place they stood and for the same amount of time and had the same connections.

Yes the "stuff" I talk about would make a good book - but that has not been my goal. A book or movie created out of might have beens or could of beens is not what I sought in this search.
I wanted the truth and nothing but the truth.

Yes, it was MY choice to continue the struggle when the ODDS were stacked against me...and I would do it again.....BECAUSE I know what I saw and what I was told and what and what I held in my hands. NO one will every take my memory from me other than the natural process of aging and death.

With what is being done on that CODE - as we speak - The connections between Weber and Cooper are becoming more positive each day.

I am able to supply the DNA of a third party in Duane's life. If the DNA is on the envelopes used to mail the "clues" or the tie clip or anything Cooper related this story is over.

I will re-interate - there are things regarding Cooper that remain a secret until this day and I do NOT understand why after 40 yrs the authorities find it necessary to keep these things confidential. That is a RED FLAG.

Jo, before you get on your high horse, read. Yet again you jump to conclusions because you don't bother to read - and this was a simple short post!!!. I never said Tina wasn't affected! I never mentioned anyone else at all. It was about you complaining again that because of the FBI (or this or that one) that you have lost 15 years of your life. It was your choice. You even say so. So stop accusing other people of "taking" it from you.

And your remark about me having "no compassion" is way off base. You have no idea what I have been through in my life, what it took to get where I am, and you have no idea what I do, or for whom.

Tell me, have you ever stood in the blazing African summer sun physically helping build houses for people who would only live in tin shacks that flood every winter otherwise?
Have you ever gone into an underprivileged school to help teach Math or English because the teachers don't even have the qualifications they are trying to teach?
Do you volunteer to help out at orphanages for abandoned AIDS babies, or help organise events for kids from a disabled children's home?
Have you even got any IDEA what kind of misery a billion people live in on this continent? Do you even know there is a famine in east Africa at the moment? Have you heard of a place called Dadaab? Did you see the picture of a 7-month old child that weighs less than a normal baby weighs at birth? Or the one of the grandmother that got wheeled hundreds of kilometres in a wheelbarrow by her grandchildren to get to a feeding camp?
These are people with REAL problems, Jo. Not people who throw a hissy fit blaming the FBI because of something they chose to do themselves!!

btw...if you manage to come up with evidence Duane was Cooper, great. But for obvious reasons, including the fact that we've heard this all before, not holding my breath.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Incidentally, this is off topic, but if any of you ever want to volunteer for something really meaningful - this is really worthwhile. They operate all over the world, including locations in North America.

http://www.habitat.org

http://habitat.org.za/index.php?pageID=81

Use your compassion where it's most appreciated and needed.

Note - letters where used for RATE and NOT part of the Serial number:

Robert's reply:

Jo, Go to Wikipedia and search for "Service Number (United States Armed Forces)".

You will find that since the WWI time period, all US Armed Forces have used service numbers that included prefixes and/or suffixes. In the Army, RA stood for Regular Army, US for Army of the United States, NG for National Guard, etc., etc..

Jo writes:

:(Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source and you know this. Wikipedia is contributed to by the man on the street - it is NOT an Encyclopedia nor and reference guide for the military.
Take what they say about Weber - it is incorrect, but since I am not the source I cannot change it even with black and white documentations...therefore inaccuracies regarding Weber remain on the site while others are able to make changes periodically. I do NOT know who created the story about Weber, but it is NOT accurate.

Jo, Your reply above is a flagrant mis-representation of the statement of mine that is quoted just above that!

I did NOT say to go to Wikipedia and search for Duane Weber! I DID say to go to Wikipedia and search for service numbers (just read what you are replying to)!

If Duane Weber served in the United States Army at any time from the date of his birth in 1924 until the all volunteer Army was established in the 1970s, then his service number (serial number) had a prefix in front of it!

Your deliberate ignoring of valid information simply because it doesn't show what you want it to show is beyond belief!

And playing the dumb blonde card won't work this time either!

Robert Nicholson

Incidentally, this is off topic, but if any of you ever want to volunteer for something really meaningful - this is really worthwhile. They operate all over the world, including locations in North America.

Orange1, For your information, Habitat For Humanity in Arizona is now helping people here who lost their homes during our recent wildfires.

Robert Nicholson

Taken from Habitat for Humanity website: "In 1942, Clarence and Florence Jordan and Martin and Mabel England found Koinonia Farm in Sumter County, Georgia as a "demonstration plot for the Kingdom of God." Koinonia Farm will later become the birthplace of Habitat for Humanity."Millard and Linda Fuller seek the simple lifestyle of Koinonia Farm and together with Clarence Jordan develop the partnership housing model. The Fullers later apply this model to found the Habitat for Humanity International ministry."

My stomping grounds. Americus, Sumter County, GA. is about 30 miles from my home. This is where Habitat originated and where their International Headquarters is still located, if I'm not mistaken. They have an international village in Americus where they have full-scale model homes from many countries they have built in - the homes are built using style and materials indigenous to each area so it's an interesting tour to take. You listen to a little spiel about H for H, then you walk through home exhibits at your leisure. I have joined with a group several times to work on Habitat homes in our area.
Except for a few hicccups in the administration a couple of times (over the many years it has been in operation), it seems to be a great organization. I doubt if they coined the term "sweat equity", but it has become synonymous with habitat.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Note - I have told you that I ramble and why the FBI had a hard time even hearing me much less understanding.

I Was talking about Wikipedia not being an accurate source for certain information and used what They have on Weber as an example.

I am telling you I have copies of the actual papers some taken from archived military files that another party spent lots of time acquiring. The FBI didn't bother to do what this person did for me.

Note Robert you stated:

If Duane Weber served in the United States Army at any time from the date of his birth in 1924 until the all volunteer Army was established in the 1970s, then his service number (serial number) had a prefix in front of it!

Jo will reinterate:

I am not ignoring valid simple information - I have it and the FBI did NOT bother to find it.
These files do NOT have a prefix of numbers - and they are real files.

I suggest if you are connected to the FBI in any way that you make an appointment with me and I will provide you with access to these. They are NOT forgeries nor in any way altered files. Some are what the brother sent me and some are what a very industrious individual did in the Military archives...by going there himself.

There is NO prefix in front of the Navy or Army number - only rate classification which are in a different category...and in a different square following the serial number but NOT part of the serial number and classified as RATE.

Jo writes:

What is there about the above statement you do NOT understand: What do I mean by TAKE - this is elementary in the sense it is used it means "for example". I was trying to drive into your brain with the example that Wikipedia is NOT accurate and is based on contributions by others using references. Their information is only as accurate as in so far as the source is concerned and this does NOT make it fact.

Robert 99 said:

Your deliberate ignoring of valid information simply because it doesn't show what you want it to show is beyond belief!

Jo will state:

Not playing cards right now, because I have a lot to do and a lot on my plate. The information I gave you is VALID and you KNOW it. Only someone HELL bent on disproving anything I say would categorically claim the information I made about the NAVY and ARMY number was bad information.

Now I will play the dumb blond card...WHO could benefit by claiming Jo Weber is forcing this or ignoring valid information she has JUST put it infront of you?

Only someone who is or has been part of the fumbling - the the FBI has participated in regarding Weber/Cooper has anything to gain.

Jo Weber has nothing to gain by pulling the Dumb Blonde card on this one....but the FBI has a lot to gain by proving she is wrong.
There is a problem with that - she has it in BLACK and WHITE and in Government documents.

What documents do you have Robert? Have you actually tried to go to WA DC and/or the archived Military documents and enquire about Duane Weber? They may no longer exist - Poof!

Well, when I smelled a RAT I made sure copies would out live me before the government made the files go poof! I have the copies and other copies are in the hands of "others" as we speak. Ohers that believe I have been telling the truth and have done the very best I could do with limited resources.

Note - I have told you that I ramble and why the FBI had a hard time even hearing me much less understanding.

I Was talking about Wikipedia not being an accurate source for certain information and used what They have on Weber as an example.

I am telling you I have copies of the actual papers some taken from archived military files that another party spent lots of time acquiring. The FBI didn't bother to do what this person did for me.

Note Robert you stated:

Jo will reinterate:

I am not ignoring valid simple information - I have it and the FBI did NOT bother to find it.
These files do NOT have a prefix of numbers - and they are real files.

I suggest if you are connected to the FBI in any way that you make an appointment with me and I will provide you with access to these. They are NOT forgeries nor in any way altered files. Some are what the brother sent me and some are what a very industrious individual did in the Military archives...by going there himself.

There is NO prefix in front of the Navy or Army number - only rate classification which are in a different category...and in a different square following the serial number but NOT part of the serial number and classified as RATE.

Jo, If there is no prefix in front of what you claim is Duane's serial number, then you don't have his Army serial number! Period!

The number you list could be part of Duane's serial number but it is NOT his (complete) Army serial number!

Where did the number come from? What is the form number that it is on? What is the date of that form? What is the title of that form?

How about backing up your claims with some facts?

Robert Nicholson

Jo writes:

What is there about the above statement you do NOT understand: What do I mean by TAKE - this is elementary in the sense it is used it means "for example". I was trying to drive into your brain with the example that Wikipedia is NOT accurate and is based on contributions by others using references. Their information is only as accurate as in so far as the source is concerned and this does NOT make it fact.

Jo, Pay attention this time! This is about the third time I have pointed this out to you!

My reference to Wikipedia refered to US Military Service Numbers and NOT to Duane Weber!

Even if the Wikipedia article on Duane Weber is bunk, that does NOT mean that the Wikipedia article on US Military Service Numbers is incorrect!

In fact, the Wikipedia article on US Military Service Numbers agrees with my own personal experience in the US Army!

Robert Nicholson

Robert 99 said:

Jo will state:

Not playing cards right now, because I have a lot to do and a lot on my plate. The information I gave you is VALID and you KNOW it. Only someone HELL bent on disproving anything I say would categorically claim the information I made about the NAVY and ARMY number was bad information.

Now I will play the dumb blond card...WHO could benefit by claiming Jo Weber is forcing this or ignoring valid information she has JUST put it infront of you?

Only someone who is or has been part of the fumbling - the the FBI has participated in regarding Weber/Cooper has anything to gain.

Jo Weber has nothing to gain by pulling the Dumb Blonde card on this one....but the FBI has a lot to gain by proving she is wrong.
There is a problem with that - she has it in BLACK and WHITE and in Government documents.

What documents do you have Robert? Have you actually tried to go to WA DC and/or the archived Military documents and enquire about Duane Weber? They may no longer exist - Poof!

Well, when I smelled a RAT I made sure copies would out live me before the government made the files go poof! I have the copies and other copies are in the hands of "others" as we speak. Ohers that believe I have been telling the truth and have done the very best I could do with limited resources.

Jo, The real question is what documents do YOU have?

Back up your claims with some facts!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am NOT an FBI agent or FBI employee.

In addition, along the way, I have been certified sane (or at least sane enough) as a mandatory requirement for my participation in a specific research project.

Robert Nicholson

Sluggo took COPIES of the military records Home with him! Doug Pasternac has them. You, Robt are picking at something that can be proven, but I have to PROVE nothing to you because I do NOT even KNOW YOU. End of Subject.

Of, I forgot 2 young men who came to visit me - one just a fan and the other a writer also have copies of these, but they do NOT participate in trying to prove or disprove this in a thread.

They nor I realized we were sharing something that would YRS later be debated in a thread. One guy wanted to just to see what he could find. Doug of course found most of them, Sluggo just wanted copies, Mr. X has them just encase something ever happens to the orginals, Another individual is a friend and keeps copies - just encase. This is the first time anyone has ever doubted the authenticity of the documents.

Why don't you just take yourself to the military records archives and see what you find...remember I do NOT know you or who you are - you are just a name in the thread - you are nobody to me. You are someone who PRETENDS to know what he is talking about and you haven't see the documents - yet, state categorically they cannot be what I tell you they are.

Any further exchange of information wtih you is useless.
Produce your credentials and tell me who you are and maybe I will be nice and send you copies if Doug P says it is OK...after all he is the one responsible for most of the documentations. It was his hard work and research. You have offered nothing other than to dispute the records without having even made an attempt to research them yourself.

On Monday, July 25, I traveled to the home of Lee and Jane Dormuth, located in the Puget Sound area of Washington.

Jane Dormuth is the sister of Tina Mucklow, and has been married to Lee since before the skyjacking.

Lee Dormuth is a 32-year career FBI agent, and after my two visits with him – albeit brief chats on his front stoop – I’ve learned that he’s a nice guy.

One thing is for certain, maybe two. First, Lee is profoundly reluctant to close the door in the face of someone who is speaking to him. Secondly, Jane seems to have no desire to talk with me, and I wonder if she is the one who calls the shots in the family.

When I showed up on their door step for the second time, I heard the deep, firm voice of an adult woman speaking just to left of the front door, presumably it was Jane and she was on the phone and talking from the kitchen. She had a lot to say and spoke for a good 5-8 minutes in total when I was there, but I was unable to hear anything distinctly.

I rang the door bell and heard neither a break in her conversation nor any foot steps in my direction. After a lengthy pause I knocked loudly on the door, and I heard it echo throughout the large room directly behind the door, perhaps the living and dining area. Eventually, I heard someone approach and open the door. It was Lee, and he didn’t seem happy to see me, but he did crack it open a few inches and after a moment’s hesitation decided to slither out and talk to me on his little stoop.

I had been expecting that, so I had backed off the stoop and stood on a lower step.

Lee’s a short guy, about 5’7 or so, and seems to be lost in his retirement. His beard was a day-old and he ought to visit a dentist soon. At the very least he should begin brushing his teeth regularly.

As he was not too welcoming, I took the initiative.

“Hi Lee, I’m Bruce Smith with the Mountain News,” and I handed him my business card.

He looked at it and handed it back to me.

“I’m back because I’m looking for a partner – someone to team up with and make a combined therapeutic-journalistic intervention with Tina.”

“Nope – no,” he replied immediately. “Like I told you, I don’t want anything to do with it.”

'It,' I thought, he’s made his sister-in-law an object?

Lee began backing up into the house and started to close the door.

“Can I at least tell you why I’m doing this?”

He kept closing the door but I kept talking.

“It’s all going to change in about two weeks, Lee,” I said, and he paused. Then he came back out as I continued speaking.

“Geoff Gray’s book is coming out August 8th and it’s the first major book on Cooper by a professional writer. It’s a comprehensive book about the case and it’s gonna have Tina’s address in it and the whole world is going to know. In fact, that’s already on the Internet.”

Lee moved back into full view in the doorway.

“Do you know Geoff Gray?” I asked.

“Is he the guy sending me all those letters….from Alaska?” Lee said as he continued to move back outside.

“No, that’s Galen Cook,” I said. “Geoff Gray’s a writer in New York City. He writes for New York Magazine, and his book has a major publishing house behind it. It’s gonna get a lot of support.

“Why are people still interested in that?” Lee said. “I don’t understand it. It’s what? - thirty years since it happened? Yeah, thirty-some-odd years.”

“It’s the only unsolved skyjacking case in the history of the United States, Lee. A lot of people are interested in DB Cooper. In fact, the case is usually considered one of the top ten crime mysteries in the country.”

“Look, the night it happened, and right after, we were there,” Lee replied. “We knew what happened – what was going on. There wasn’t too much to it. She got the parachutes and money for him. They took off, and then he walked to the back and jumped out. That’s it. Why is there still all this interest in it?”

“Lee, there’s a lot of mysteries involved with the case. Why did Tina disappear for twenty years? Look - Bill Rataczak told me that he wouldn’t have made it if it wasn’t for Tina. She saved his life by keeping Cooper calmed down.”

I continued.

“Another FBI agent wrote that Tina was the brains of the outfit, so how could such a capable woman fall apart so bad? Why did she go into the convent – especially when the nuns down there say she never fit in? And for twelve years? Why did she move back to Gresham, Lee? What happened there? Can you tell me about that?”

“No! – No, I’m not going to get involved. Look, some woman called last night – she was married to him (again another indirect reference to a principal, this time Cooper himself, and the ‘she’ is presumably Jo Weber) and she kept my wife on the phone for forever. Look – we, my wife – she just decided that we don’t want anything to do with it. I can’t help you and Tina. My wife doesn’t want to have anything more to do with her.”

“A lot of people are going to be knocking on her door, Lee, starting in two weeks. She’s not going to be protected anymore.”

“Well let them go knock on her door, then.”

“Well, what do you think will happen, Lee? Why won’t Tina talk? Why has she stayed hidden for so long? What happened to her, Lee? What can you tell me?”

“No,” he murmured and waved me off, closing the door a second time.

“Look Lee, I’ll make you a deal.”

Lee paused and listened. So too, perhaps, Jane, as I didn’t hear any more voices from the kitchen.

“Tell me what you know and help me get in touch with Tina. In return I’ll be your family’s press agent. I’ll even work for free, Lee. So, whenever someone calls – the TV stations or another reporter, you don’t have to say anything – you just tell them to call me - ‘Sorry, you’ll have to call Bruce, he’s handling all of these inquires. He’s our press agent and you can call him at, blah, blah, blah’ I said in a sing-songy voice. “Lee, that’s all you have to do.”

“No, that’s not going to happen,” Lee said matter-of-factly.

“But it’s a good deal, Lee. I’ll work for free – how can you turn down free?”

“No, no really. I don’t want to be part of any of it, any more.”

He closed the door and was gone.

I walked away, drove to a local C-store, and wrote my field notes of this conversation.

© 2011 Bruce A. Smith

Blevins - you are on that one again? Give it up - it proves nothing just like my thinking Duane buried something with the dog. To have torn out the things that Duane fixed would have cost a fortune and I figured what may have been left was in the VAN as that seemed to be his main concern toward the end.

He was fixated on the security of the VAN, yet when he died I found Nothing. Then several wks after I sold it - the buyer finds the wallet and heaven's only knows what else he never disclosed to me. After all if there was a few hundred dollars in 20's in the wallet and the widow didn't have any knowledge of the wallet - why not just pocket it - after all it was just a couple of hundred dollars and the widow didn't seem to be doing without.

What she doesn't know won't hurt her - right? His girl friend bought the van for him - and he was just a flea market man...therefore not a man with a lot of financial resources. He told me 2 different stories about the Wallet find, yet the FBI never went back to him and requestioned him after I brought this to their attention.

If someone thinks they have done something that will never hurt anyone and then 2 yrs later finds out the money that was pocketed came from a major crime...they worry about be prosecuted if they tell the truth.
Plus they worry about what their friends might think. I do know he told me 2 DIFFERENT stories about the wallet within one week of each other. WHY? Liars do not remember what they said and why they get caught.

You see Blevin the wallet story beats the hell out of the hidden access story - but no ONE cares about either one of them. It is like pissing in the rain - who would know what is piss and what is rain?

Maybe we should do a book about Pissing in the Rain..

Yes, just as I have known Tina's location for yr - I sat on it to protect her. When I found out Grey was exposing her location in the book - and that others have been camping out at her location taking pictures and spying on her - I felt responsible for this girl. My daughter is only 10 yrs younger.

All the yrs I kept her location out of the media was made futile by one book writer. Perhaps I thought NO one will bother her after all of these yrs.

I placed more than one phone call to let individuals know that Tina might need some assistance...to protect her privacy.

Two were simply short messages asking the other party to offer assistance to her (they know her). After Blevins received his harassing phone calls - my warning were NOT out of place because I worried about her privacy and how she would handle public exposure after all of these yrs of a relative quiet life.

The other one was to the FBI making them aware of the phone calls to Blevins and the fact that Tina's location had been made public by a writer.

Several days later more and more kept happening so I decided to contact the sister and let her know what had happened regarding a writer making Tina's location public. I felt someone needed to be there for Tina and wanted a family member to be aware of what was going on. I also wanted to assure them that I was NOT the one who was responsible for this. I let them know I knew Tina was a private person and why I did NOT impose myself on her or show up on her door. That I understood that she had little memory of the incident and what it has done to her life.

It was short conversation and I didn't keep her on the phone long - just to ask her to be there for her sister and that I have tried to keep people away from her door - because I could tell from her voice the one time I spoke to her that she was fragil and chose to protect and do NO harm (I didn't use those words but that was the consensus of the call I made).

I do not understand why according to Bruce, Tina's bother-in-law and sister would say. "I can't help you and Tina". Why can't you reach out to help family. Perhaps Bruce was meaning to write Jo - but I didn't ask for help. I asked them to be there for Tina and felt she might need a refuge in the event the media ended up parked infront of her house.

Considering the calls made to Blevins I do NOT feel I stepped out of place by warning them of what was to come. I would do it again and if necessary would put myself between Tina and harm.

Now, Bruce has stepped up possible harm to the Tina and her family . The journalists and writers out here have absolutely NO respect for the privacy of the victim or the families. Bruce even publicized the location of the family members. How sensitive is that?

First Grey and now Bruce Smith. They should both be ashamed of themselves and should be held responsible for allowing disclosure that would jeopardize the privacy of private individuals who have been witnesses to a major crime. To me it is endangerment of life - not just privacy.

Bruce Smith and Jeffrey Grey have pushed the jounalistic and writers rights to the limit and frankly I hope the family takes action against both of you. This world is full of crackpots who want to make a name for themselves and my call was simply to let specific affected individuals to know what has happened so they would be prepared...for what is happening or in the offing..

That was a GOOD post Blevins and the very first time I can say you did the RIGHT thing. You called it they way if should have been called.

I was trying to protect Tina and her family and you let Bruce have it in a way I could never have done.

I do NOT agree with anyone showing up with pics of their suspect - that would be obtuse and brutal...even I have NEVER sent Tina pictures of Duane, but I agree Bruce handled this ALL wrong. He has put a fence up between the media and the family they won't take down now.

4) I had an expert in countertops examine the
Formica piece. He estimated it was made before
1980 but cannot tell much else about it.

6) The 'hiding spot' is located above what used to
be Ken Christiansen's bedroom, but there is no
access to the attic from inside the house.

CONCLUSION: It was obvious that someone
decided this was the best place to hide something
inside the house, because there is no access from
inside, and the access itself is difficult to reach from
outside. .

Q: and there never was access to it from inside the
house?

A: from the design it looks like a Bulgarian made it.
Or a mouse. ?

:o

On Monday, July 25, I traveled to the home of Lee and Jane Dormuth, located in the Puget Sound area of Washington.

Jane Dormuth is the sister of Tina Mucklow, and has been married to Lee since before the skyjacking.

Lee Dormuth is a 32-year career FBI agent, and after my two visits with him – albeit brief chats on his front stoop – I’ve learned that he’s a nice guy.

One thing is for certain, maybe two. First, Lee is profoundly reluctant to close the door in the face of someone who is speaking to him. Secondly, Jane seems to have no desire to talk with me, and I wonder if she is the one who calls the shots in the family.

When I showed up on their door step for the second time, I heard the deep, firm voice of an adult woman speaking just to left of the front door, presumably it was Jane and she was on the phone and talking from the kitchen. She had a lot to say and spoke for a good 5-8 minutes in total when I was there, but I was unable to hear anything distinctly.

I rang the door bell and heard neither a break in her conversation nor any foot steps in my direction. After a lengthy pause I knocked loudly on the door, and I heard it echo throughout the large room directly behind the door, perhaps the living and dining area. Eventually, I heard someone approach and open the door. It was Lee, and he didn’t seem happy to see me, but he did crack it open a few inches and after a moment’s hesitation decided to slither out and talk to me on his little stoop.

I had been expecting that, so I had backed off the stoop and stood on a lower step.

Lee’s a short guy, about 5’7 or so, and seems to be lost in his retirement. His beard was a day-old and he ought to visit a dentist soon. At the very least he should begin brushing his teeth regularly.

As he was not too welcoming, I took the initiative.

“Hi Lee, I’m Bruce Smith with the Mountain News,” and I handed him my business card.

He looked at it and handed it back to me.

“I’m back because I’m looking for a partner – someone to team up with and make a combined therapeutic-journalistic intervention with Tina.”

“Nope – no,” he replied immediately. “Like I told you, I don’t want anything to do with it.”

'It,' I thought, he’s made his sister-in-law an object?

Lee began backing up into the house and started to close the door.

“Can I at least tell you why I’m doing this?”

He kept closing the door but I kept talking.

“It’s all going to change in about two weeks, Lee,” I said, and he paused. Then he came back out as I continued speaking.

“Geoff Gray’s book is coming out August 8th and it’s the first major book on Cooper by a professional writer. It’s a comprehensive book about the case and it’s gonna have Tina’s address in it and the whole world is going to know. In fact, that’s already on the Internet.”

Lee moved back into full view in the doorway.

“Do you know Geoff Gray?” I asked.

“Is he the guy sending me all those letters….from Alaska?” Lee said as he continued to move back outside.

“No, that’s Galen Cook,” I said. “Geoff Gray’s a writer in New York City. He writes for New York Magazine, and his book has a major publishing house behind it. It’s gonna get a lot of support.

“Why are people still interested in that?” Lee said. “I don’t understand it. It’s what? - thirty years since it happened? Yeah, thirty-some-odd years.”

“It’s the only unsolved skyjacking case in the history of the United States, Lee. A lot of people are interested in DB Cooper. In fact, the case is usually considered one of the top ten crime mysteries in the country.”

“Look, the night it happened, and right after, we were there,” Lee replied. “We knew what happened – what was going on. There wasn’t too much to it. She got the parachutes and money for him. They took off, and then he walked to the back and jumped out. That’s it. Why is there still all this interest in it?”

“Lee, there’s a lot of mysteries involved with the case. Why did Tina disappear for twenty years? Look - Bill Rataczak told me that he wouldn’t have made it if it wasn’t for Tina. She saved his life by keeping Cooper calmed down.”

I continued.

“Another FBI agent wrote that Tina was the brains of the outfit, so how could such a capable woman fall apart so bad? Why did she go into the convent – especially when the nuns down there say she never fit in? And for twelve years? Why did she move back to Gresham, Lee? What happened there? Can you tell me about that?”

“No! – No, I’m not going to get involved. Look, some woman called last night – she was married to him (again another indirect reference to a principal, this time Cooper himself, and the ‘she’ is presumably Jo Weber) and she kept my wife on the phone for forever. Look – we, my wife – she just decided that we don’t want anything to do with it. I can’t help you and Tina. My wife doesn’t want to have anything more to do with her.”

“A lot of people are going to be knocking on her door, Lee, starting in two weeks. She’s not going to be protected anymore.”

“Well let them go knock on her door, then.”

“Well, what do you think will happen, Lee? Why won’t Tina talk? Why has she stayed hidden for so long? What happened to her, Lee? What can you tell me?”

“No,” he murmured and waved me off, closing the door a second time.

“Look Lee, I’ll make you a deal.”

Lee paused and listened. So too, perhaps, Jane, as I didn’t hear any more voices from the kitchen.

“Tell me what you know and help me get in touch with Tina. In return I’ll be your family’s press agent. I’ll even work for free, Lee. So, whenever someone calls – the TV stations or another reporter, you don’t have to say anything – you just tell them to call me - ‘Sorry, you’ll have to call Bruce, he’s handling all of these inquires. He’s our press agent and you can call him at, blah, blah, blah’ I said in a sing-songy voice. “Lee, that’s all you have to do.”

“No, that’s not going to happen,” Lee said matter-of-factly.

“But it’s a good deal, Lee. I’ll work for free – how can you turn down free?”

“No, no really. I don’t want to be part of any of it, any more.”

He closed the door and was gone.

I walked away, drove to a local C-store, and wrote my field notes of this conversation.

© 2011 Bruce A. Smith

Frankly, this is pathetic (at best)!

Give it up Bruce.

I go further than Blevins on this - miles further -

"No, that’s not going to happen,” Lee said matter-of-factly."

IMHO, Bruce you are looking at an injunction coming your way if you don't stop, and Jo Weber also.

Stop being thugs.

Georger - all I did was let them know what was happening and to tell them how sorry I was even though I had NOTHING to do with the exposure. She understood.

;)Hey! Could I get an injunction against JT for his harassing phone call several months ago?
You know the one where he treated me like a prisoner of WAR with his co-ercion. No one has ever spoke to me that way in person or on the phone except for him.

I do not and know I have absolutely nothing to ever worry about regarding any actions against me. I did nothing more than let them know what was in the wind and offer my condolences. Never called them before and have no reason to call again. I only did what I would expect someone to do for me...if they had a heart or any respect for me or my family. I personally would have been grateful for the information if it gave me a chance to shield my family or myself.

:|I had to deal with my thoughts for 3 or 4 days before I made the call...and all I did was ask myself a simple question. What would I do if it was my sister?

There is such a thing as respect for other people which seems to have been forgotten in the Search for Dan Cooper. These people are so hungry for a story that the harm they can do seems unimportant to them.

Why I chose to fight my battle on this ground and not in the face of the victims. No one comes here to do battle unless they want to do so. It is a slow process and a small audience but if you speak often enough and clearly enough there is a chance that maybe someone will hear you.

So I am a DUMB BLOND.

But I got a little help from one of our very own on the thread.

Even this much is right in front of you for public view. Order the DETAILS yourself - but I have better - I have copies of orginals.

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 35608905 35608905
NAME WEBER#DUANE#L########### WEBER#DUANE#L###########
RESIDENCE: STATE #3 Undefined Code
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 153 Undefined Code
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 5340 FT HAYES COLUMBUS OHIO
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 31 31
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 03 03
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 43 43
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private
GRADE: CODE 8 Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION NO# No branch assignment
BRANCH: CODE 02 No branch assignment
FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
LONGEVITY ### ###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
NATIVITY 53 OHIO
YEAR OF BIRTH 24 24
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 1 1 year of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 983 Unskilled mechanics and repairmen, n.e.c.
MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER # #
BOX NUMBER 0966 0966
FILM REEL NUMBER 5.28# 5.28#

To the 2 99s, thanks for the comments. Smokin, would kbe interested to know if they have any models of the Mfuleni homes.
I suspect ours are much more modest than the US ones - they really are tiny, about 40m sq - 2 rooms. But they are proper houses, with walls separating rooms, indoor plumbing and electricity which is a huge step-up from a shack. I can't explain the feeling when you see tears of joy on someone's face when they realize that their biggest dream - a proper house, something so many people just take for granted - is coming true.

I would put my money on this:
A wood burning stove used to be vented up threw the ceiling and the roof.

Even our meat house had a smoker vented out the roof as did the wood buring stove in the tenant house. Might have been an old gas furnace vented out.

It could also have been an attic fan to pull the heat out in the summer. If he put in window units he would want to close off the attic fan and close the roof after removing the vent.

There are just too many logical reasons for the so called hiding place in the ceiling.