47 47
quade

DB Cooper

It is my speculation that Jo believes when all of this
passes Duane will then emerge as a more serious cnadidate. He won't, but I'm speculating that is Jo's viewpoint.

Since this contact is all news to me - I don't know what to believe....this man will have to tell me something that convinces me of his story. Details he may not want to reveal in a forum...yes, I would like to talk to him.

I will NEVER-EVER! release "Charlie Daniels" name!
... or his dog "The General"'s name either! People
are free to speculate what their names might be.

:):D
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

I think you have the manuals for the plane? Does it show this compartment, and if so how big is it? Will a man fit in it?

My manual does not give details on this space, sorry.

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is that Burnworth's wife had nothing to do with Norjack but thought the drawing looked like her husband and decided to drop a dime on a call to the FBI.

If Cooper hid in the stairwell behind some removable covers, how would he escape from the plane after landing without being detected by the FBI who was waiting and watched every move?

If this was an inside job by the FBI then they sure spoofed a lot of their own including area LE including ... etc etc.

Taken away by a car at the end of runway?
While sharp shooters danced to Hoky Poky?

Why does the mob and their wives get to have all the damned fun! It just aint fair!

Brunworth vs. Mr. X timeline:

Hyjacking Nov 24, 71.
Date 28 Nov 71: When X returned to work on the Monday morning following the Thanksgiving weekend, he was called into his company’s conference room and was met by three federal officials. X believes that two were FBI and the third was FAA.

(And lastly, “They had a lot of time and money invested in Burnworth.”) (already knew Burnworth from prior investigations?)

Date_?: X claims B worked with him for Sail Fish at Slt Lake City in 1971 and that B had just disappeared prior to hijacking. X said that two others were part of the DC-7-C crew who flew with him and Burnsworth. One of the crew, the Flight Engineer, Bill Munson also worked for Zantop Aviation, a contract operation for the CIA and related to Air America. The fourth crew member was Bob Cupil,

Date_ 1973? Don Burnworth acknowledges flying with X at Sail Fish (Utah), but says it was in the 1973-1974 time period, after the time of the skyjacking. Don corroborates all aspects of the flight experience with X on the DC-7 to Alaska and back for Sailfish Air Freight.

Date_?: Burnworth was incarcerated by the FBI for eight days following the skyjacking; not sure of the exact time period, place of arrest and incarceration
and date of release. {? arrested soon after hijacking by FBI in Germany where hiding out with his children and working as a pilot for UAL, or on return trip from Germany to USA shortly after hijacking? Hiding out in Germany with his children to escape his wife’s mob family..}

B was fired by UAL at that time because he was an active suspect. That was when he went to fly for Sailfish Air Freight in Salt Lake City. He flew one trip for Sailfish to Alaska, according to X

Date_?: Labor Relations trial followed. B reinstated by UAL.

Date_ 1973-1978: DONALD O BURNWORTH Married to Nancy on 8/02/73. Date overlaps working for Sail Fish?

Divorced 1977 ?
Action filed in Oklahoma: Relief from Alimoney etc.
BURNWORTH v. BURNWORTH
No. 50138.
572 P.2d 301
1977 OK CIV APP 52
Decided: November 1, 1977.
Court of Appeals of Oklahoma, Division No. 2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NANCY BURNWORTH, APPELLEE,
v.
DONALD O. BURNWORTH, APPELLANT.
Appeal from the District Court of Oklahoma County.

Notes, Burnworth, Don, interview #2, phone, May 6, 2010

Had a very enjoyable two-hour phone conversation with Don Burnworth this afternoon. We covered mostly his personal time-line.

Don Burnworth was born March 4, 1931 in Arcadia, Oklahoma. His family lived on a small farm and their home was a converted smoke house.

When he was about 4 or 5 they moved to Oklahoma City. His father was a construction electrician, and they moved about every year. He had no permanent friends growing up.

By 1942, their lives settled down a bit and they lived in an old mansion in Britton, Oklahoma that his father bought for $2,500. In 1948, Don graduated from high school and then went to Central State Teacher’s College, where he spent two years and took physics and math courses.

In 1950, to avoid the draft, Don joined the Air Force, where he worked mostly as an electrical mechanic.

By 1954 near the end of his hitch, he was stationed at Nellis AFB, and was part of a team handling ATC duties in a mobile trailer. He was also able to work in the nearby Las Vegas clubs, particularly the Flamingo and the Sands, which was under construction.

Don left the military in 1954 and rejoined the Air Force as a civilian contractor. During this time he got married to the first of five wives, Frankie, with whom he had four kids. Don also began to learn how to fly small civilian aircraft.

He next transferred to the FAA where he was trained as test pilot and learned how to fly large aircraft: DC-3, 4, 6, and 7s, along with Convairs and Electras. His skill set as an air force electrical mechanic and a private pilot with a math and physics background was ideal for his candidacy to test pilot school. He spent several years with the FAA and wrote lots of flight manuals and certified numerous commercial aircraft.

On Oct 6, 1964 Don signed with United Airlines, and for the next year attended their flight school. He eventually became a flight instructor for UAL and did that for a couple of years.

At this point in his narrative, Don abruptly announced: “I’ve done a lot of things in my life that are bad, and that I am ashamed of. I have not lived my life with integrity.”

This shocking and startling pronouncement heralded our entrance into the mixed world of his marital life and Bernice.

Don apparently met Bernice in Chicago and began having an affair. Don then left Frankie and the kids and moved to Denver with Bernice.

Frankie and the kids eventually followed and Don says that he “bounced between the two.”

Nevertheless, Don says that he and Frankie remained good friends up until her death; date unknown.

Don lived with Bernice for several years and experienced a very turbulent life.

“She could be wild at times,” he said and described several occasions where Bernice had what seems like disassociate episodes in which she became very violent. On one occasion she attacked Don while he was driving, cutting him about the face and head with keys clenched between her knuckles.

“She could fist-fight like a man,” he said and described a brutal attack by Bernice upon her younger brother when she was a kid.

“She couldn’t be rational,” Don says, and states that Bernice vacillated about marriage to Don.

Ultimately she did consent to marry, but after 28 days she field for divorce. During this time she also conducted at least one serious suicide attempt, intentionally driving a VW into a tree at a high rate of speed.

Even though they were only married for a month, they had ben living together for about 3-4 years and had three children together – all girls.

Don is a little hazy on dates and years, but he generally feels that he met Bernice in 1967 and got married/divorced in 1970 or 1971.

Don says that Bernice was very violent with their children and he got custody of them in the divorce.

Earlier, Don had stopped being a test pilot and instructor with UAL and became a passenger jet pilot, hubbing out of San Francisco, where he moved with Bernice and the kids in about 1967 and they lived in Half Moon Bay, California.

During the divorce period, Bernice kidnapped the kids when they were being attended to by a babysitter and he was away. She took them back to Kansas City. She also got a California judge to sanction her behavior, and Don says that a California social worker deceived the court about his fathering as a result of a bribe from Bernice’s family.

Don’s Marital History:

1. Frankie Shaw Burnworth, now deceased. Four kids.
2. Bernice Lucille Day Bruno Burnworth, now deceased. Three kids.
3. Nancy Walker Burnworth; married 1973, divorced 1977, and the court papers are easily Googled.
4. Lu Wright Burnworth, a psychic who lives “near where you do, (BAS).”
5. Charlotte, current wife

Custody Battles

Don went back to court to attempt to regain custody. This part of his story is often punctuated with his anger towards the court system and how discriminatory it was towards men and profoundly blind to the physical and sexual abuse fostered by dangerous women, such as Bernice is reported to have been.

Don described seeing his kids routinely beaten, bruised and crying, and on at least one occasions seeing a kid with a broken bone. One girl was also “starved nearly to death.”

Don received a ruling of a 30 day temporary custody grant. By then, he felt he could not get any meaningful help from the courts and started piecing together his getaway plan to Germany.

“It was life and death,” he said.

First he got an open-ended leave of absence from UAL.

Next he got a piloting buddy named Marion Cooper, and the guy whose moniker was the inspiration, Don feels, for the DB Cooper alias, to fly to KC and retrieve the kids.

Of note: Don says that Marion Cooper was ex-CIA and an ex-convict. In addition, Don and Marion used to ferry aircraft for Jack Richards, the fellow who sold the DC-7 to Sailfish.

Don says that when Marion arrived in Kansas City, he spent a few days “casing the house.” Bernice and the kids were in Don’s old abode in KC and Don had given the key to Marion.

While conducting surveillance, Marion observed and photographed Bernice and a man described as a Mr. Wurst, having oral sex with Don’s two oldest children. Don says he has the photographic proof, but did not say if he had shared it with LE and sought criminal action. The girls were 5-6 years old.

Marion Cooper was able to successfully return the three girls to Don in San Francisco, and from there they went to Germany.

First, they spent about a month in Frankfort, and then went to Heidelberg, where they lived in a duplex shared with an American soldier stationed there.

Don heard about the skyjacking while watching German television.

By all accounts, Don and his girls had a peaceful and loving time in Germany. They stayed for about 10 months.

However, in early 1972, Don’s mother called him and said the FBI was looking for him. They had visited her in the family homestead in Oklahoma, and had been threatening in their interrogation. In addition, UAL reversed their decision on the leave of absence and said he had to return to work. Don feels that his old flight manager, who was having an affair with Bernice, was instrumental in this development.

Don feels the Bruno family was behind all these actions in order to extricate Don and the girls from Germany, where Don now wanted to live permanently. In fact, he had already received German court custody of the kids, and they were being treated by German health workers for their experience of molestation and abuse.

Arrest and Incarceration

Don was not arrested immediately upon returning to the USA. Don left the girls in Germany with a baby sitter, the family that he rented his house from, and returned to the United States alone.

Don went home to San Francisco and shortly returned to UAL. On his first day back, he was arrested in the UAL flight office by federal authorities.

Don was placed in San Mateo County jail, and given a cellie for a few days that Don is convinced was a FBI plant.

Don was incarcerated for eight days and then released when his kids came to the USA.

The following is not clear to me despite repeatedly questioning:

Don was in SF and thought that his German custody would protect his rights and his kids. But the kids flew to Kansas City, apparently, where Bernice retrieved them, remaining with her for many years. Why didn’t Don fly them to San Francisco? Why did they go to KC?

I also don’t get why the FBI released Don when his kids arrived in the States, particularly if they were in KC? Why is there a connection here, or influence upon the release from jail?

Nevertheless, immediately thereafter UAL fired Don, saying that he was a causing “adverse publicity.” He was denied all passes aboard UAL flights, and had to pay for his own passage to Oklahoma, where he returned to live with his mother.

During this next time period, Don feels there were 2-3 attempts on his life, such as a speeding driver who jumped a curb and sidewalk to try to strike him.

Bernice remarried, marrying a guy named Hughes. Don says that the sexual abuse of his children continued with Hughes.

Bernice was killed in a violent horseback riding incident in about 1977. She lingered for a few days in a hospital, and then succumbed to her many injuries. However, Don says that one of the physicians in the hospital told him that Bernice’s life support system had been turned off in the middle of the night. Don did not say how he got this information, or whether he actually visited the hospital, the kids, or KC.

Further, Don says that two weeks after Bernice’s death, Hughes remarried.

Don continued to fight for custody and was thwarted by repeated court delays. He eventually got Colorado Senator Pat Schroeder to intercede and he was awarded custody of the youngest child.

However, by now, the middle girl was pregnant and eventually married her baby’s father. Don’s a little hazy on the status of his oldest girl at this time, and was unsure if she was out on her own.

Don says that his youngest daughter and he are now “the best of friends.” He will ask her if I can contact her and discuss her father’s life, and her experience of all this. He is optimistic that she will consent.

DB Cooper details:

Don says that he does not smoke and has always been highly allergic to cigarette smoke.

He also says that he does not drink, and never did. He also claims that he does not drink soda pop, either.

He has never parachuted and does not know how. He chuckled when I asked him this question, and his response was identical to what 377 has described as the basic attitude of pilots towards abandoning their aircraft: they don’t.

Don said that Bernice had told him at one point the real name of the DB Cooper impersonator, but he could not recall the last name, only remembering “Jim.”

Also, his knowledge, or opinion, of the DB Cooper case is extensive, but his facts are so askew it is as if Don lives in a parallel universe where things are a bit off.

For instance: he insisted that $3,800 was found at Tina’s Beach. In addition, he says that the aft stairs of a 727 could not be lowered in flight. He also said that DB Cooper put the money in the briefcase, and has lots of scenarios in his mind of how the money must have spun away while parachuting, putting aside the getaway car at Sea-Tac for the moment.

Don acknowledged that he is currently 200 pounds and six-foot tall.

Don said that he would send me pictures of what he looks like currently and what he looked like in 1971.

Impressions

Don gave ready and complete answers at every turn. He is telling the truth as he knows it, or is one of the best actors and script writers on the planet. I did not feel deceived at any point, but I am troubled at the inconsistencies with the kids return to the United States.

He and I will be speaking with each other again, soon.

X’s commentary, rebuttal

I contacted X and told him what Don has told me over these two days. X staunchly insists that the Alaska trip in the DC-7 for Sailfish took place prior to the Cooper skyjacking, in early November, 1971, and that they returned about two weeks prior to the T-Day holiday.

X also says that he had about $10,000 in cash in a bag from “selling groceries out the back of the plane,” so Don could have been paid in cash immediately upon return to Salt Lake City.

Nevertheless, X confirmed that the co-pilot Cupil and flight engineer Munsen did not show up for work at Sailfish again, either.

X reiterated that Don Burnworth is a spitting image of the early Cooper sketches.

X continues to deny authorization to reveal his name.

I also don’t get why the FBI released Don when his kids arrived in the States, particularly if they were in KC? Why is there a connection here, or influence upon the release from jail?

It sounds like he did not have custody of
the children when he took them out of the United States - that's a Federal crime. It appears that is why he was arrested, not for suspicion of being DB Cooper. When the children returned to the custodial parent she either didnt press charges or the Feds decided not to prosecute.

No German Court had any jurisdiction in the matter.

None of this has anything to do with DB Cooper.

It is heresay so far from Mr. X that the Feds ever thought Burnworth was DB Cooper. If the Feds had
ever seriously thought Burnworth was Cooper and
they knew Burnworth was in Germany, they could have apprehended him in Germany and probably
taken him to a US or Nato base ... back door
extradition. The Germans probably would have
cooperated and been thanked for their cooperation. But that did not happen, did it.

You havent provided anything from Burnworth so far that indicates the Feds ever questioned him about
the Cooper case? Maybe I missed that part ..

Was it really necessary to include the lurid details
of sexual abuse of the children, pedaphelia, and
psycho-sexual drama in your report? Give us a break!

In addition, he [Burnworth] says that the aft stairs of a 727 could not be lowered in flight.

Puzzling. We know that's not true and he should too.
You might ask him the basis for his conclusion.

I would sure like to see the arrest report. It might have had nothing to do with the Cooper case. I searched and it appears that he was never charged with a federal crime.

He is certainly da man as far as pilot qualifications go:

FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION RECORD

Agency Information Current Through: 02-11-2010

Database Last Updated: 03-17-2010

Update Frequency: MONTHLY

Current Date: 05/07/2010

Source: FEDERAL AVIATION ADMIN.

Currency Status: ARCHIVE RECORD

NAME & PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION

Name: DONALD OTIS BURNWORTH

Address: (deleted for privacy)

Region: WESTERN/PACIFIC

LICENSING INFORMATION

Licensing Agency: FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION

License/Certification Type: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT

License/Certification Type: FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR

License/Certification Type: FLIGHT ENGINEER

Expire Date:Expire Date: 04/30/2007

Specialty: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT; AIRPLN SINGLE ENGINE LAND, CMRCL PILOT; AIRPLN SINGLE ENGINE SEA, GLIDER

Specialty: FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR; AIRPLANE SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE, GLIDER

Specialty: FLIGHT ENGINEER; TURBOJET POWERED, RECIPROCATING ENGINE POWERED

License State: US

FURTHER INFORMATION

Medical Class: 3

Medical Class Date Expires: 06/20/2009

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

“She could fist-fight like a man,” he [Burnworth] said and described a brutal attack by Bernice upon her younger brother when she was a kid.

“She couldn’t be rational,” Don says, and states that Bernice vacillated about marriage to Don.

Ultimately she did consent to marry, but after 28 days she field for divorce. During this time she also conducted at least one serious suicide attempt, intentionally driving a VW into a tree at a high rate of speed.

DAMN! I always thought skydivers had the craziest ex wifes. Pilots have us in the bag.

Don has had five wives. That's a lot of malfunctions.
No jokes about packing errors will be tolerated.

I don't fault Bruce for including all the details of the interview. It wasnt done for lurid purposes, but to give a full picture of who this guy is. The sex abuse stuff sounds suspicious. How could a person witness and photograph such abuse and not intervene to stop it and/or call the police? If you had proof then the perpertators would do a LOT of time in prison. Having proof and ignoring it just doesnt sound likely to me.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I don't fault Bruce for including all the details of the interview. It wasnt done for lurid purposes, but to give a full picture of who this guy is. The sex abuse stuff sounds suspicious. How could a person witness and photograph such abuse and not intervene to stop it and/or call the police? If you had proof then the perpertators would do a LOT of time in prison. Having proof and ignoring it just doesnt sound likely to me.

I do,. Its all heresay. No relationship
whatever to the DB Cooper story! Bruce gets off on this kind of thing... all the time and attention to
lurid gossip-details on Bruce's part could better have been spent getting dates and facts, or trying to.

Bruce is no historian. He's a gossip columnist with
a strong bias toward psycho-sexual drama. Eg.
his Barb Dayton stories and now this story etc..

If Bruce ever interviewed Christopher Columbus
it would be mostly re-Isabella & Ferdinand & children & cousins ... with ocean voyages completely omitted
but lots of 'details'. . . !

Also, if a jumper on a night military mission disappears, the rest of the load doesn't just shrugg it off. It is a huge deal. A search is mobilized.

Exactly: it would have been a huge matter with all
kinds of people alerted/brought into the matter.

Moreover, when X says: ' On one particular jump a stranger joined them.' ... that is impossible. Let's forget about authorisation, command, etc. This sounds like a Jo Weber concoction.

This story presses a lot of buttons. Its a string of
archetypes connected. The one thing missing is a
McCoy Utah Ntl Guard connection - I guess X left
that out for the time being?

I smell a shiksa at work - hocken me ha'chinik -
and I don't mean efsheh!

Snowman will be all over this - send us a report.
;)

No different part of the world but I have personally "stowed away" on a military flight. As a 15 year old kid interested in skydiving I was on base where a friends dad was in the air force. I showed some interest to the military skydivers and ended up getting taken up for a ride while they jumped (obviously as a pax not jumper!), afterwards there was a bit of a shit-storm because there was no way that I should have been on that flight.

Same country and a few years later a local skydiver got hold of some fatigues and spent the afternoon jumping with the military fun jumpers without being questioned, although I believe there were fairly serious repercussions when he bragged about it.

Although I doubt that the military would shrug off a missing jumper - doesn't ring true for any operation
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

immediately thereafter UAL fired Don, saying that he was a causing “adverse publicity.” He was denied all passes aboard UAL flights, and had to pay for his own passage to Oklahoma, where he returned to live with his mother.

It sounds like DB was dismissed due to “adverse publicity.” related to his domestic machinations.
He was reinstated after a Labor Relations hearing.

It seems to me had his problem been an accusation
re- being accused or under investigation for being DB Cooper, there is no way in hell UAL, the Labor
Relations Board, his Union, or the FAA would have ever "resinstated" muich less permitted Burnworth ...
to fly again.

I am willing to bet the transcript of his hearing says nothing about an accusation of him being DB
Cooper ... as per Mr. X's allegation/story.

Anything of that criminal nature would definately
have been exclusionary ... and front page news!

Burnworth's military records can be checked -
he either had the record X claims he did, or he didnt. Burnworth says he never parachuted at all -
doesnt even know how and never did?

Burnworth seems to be saying he was in Germany
on 11-24-71 ?

I guess we wait for our gossip columnist to feed us more psycho-sexual details...

Was Burnworth, Barb Dayton? ;)

It seems to me had his problem been an accusation
re- being accused or under investigation for being DB Cooper, there is no way in hell UAL, the Labor
Relations Board, his Union, or the FAA would have ever "resinstated" muich less permitted Burnworth ...
to fly again.

I am willing to bet the transcript of his hearing says nothing about an accusation of him being DB
Cooper ... as per Mr. X's allegation/story.

Anything of that criminal nature would definately
have been exclusionary ... and front page news!

Being investigated and cleared shouldnt disqualify anyone from flying for UAL or any other airline.

Sometimes the FBI makes quick arrests in high profile cases with ZERO publicity. They dont want to be embarrassed if they nabbed the wrong guy but they want to keep a suspect from fleeing while they do further investigation.

Arrest records are not easily accessible. Once charged, matters become public except in rare cases such as certain spy/espionage/state secrets matters.
Burnworth could obtain his own FBI reports through FOIA. Ask him to file a request Bruce.

X claims that the FBI fingered Burnworth as a Cooper suspect, but all we have is anonymous hearsay, no solid evidence.

Burnworth could have been fired for using UAL as part of an illegal transport of children out of the US without the permission of their legal custodian. His firing and arrest may have had nothing to do with Cooper. The quick repatriation of his kids from Germany back to to the US and to their mother's state suggests that some legal maneuvering about child custody was going on around the time of his arrest.

Don says he was arrested and incarcerated by the FBI as a suspect in the DB Cooper case.

When he left the country he had a 30-day temp custody grant from a California judge. I'm not sure if that meant anything in Kansas, where the kids were.

Yes, leaving the country with the kids was illegal, as I understand it.

Yes, I wonder how Marion Cooper could have gotten all that information of the molestations in KC, and why nothing was done about it.

Don's story is not unique in terms of custody battles and incomprehensible court rulings. One of my editors has experienced something very similar to Don.

You wouldnt believe the propliner ops in AK during salmon runs. Some landed on the beaches at Bristol Bay. One DC 6 taking off in the evening from the beach got disoriented and clipped some dunes with his wingtip during TO run. It swung and crashed without ever getting airborne. A raging fire developed but the crew was saved from incineration by thousand of pounds of Sockeye Salmon that slid forward and formed an insulating barrier behind the cockpit bulkhead. They were all rescued and had only minor injuries.

DC 4s, DC 6s, DC 7s, C 119s, C 97s, and many other classic heavy propliners made their last stands flying fish in AK.

Don says he was arrested and incarcerated by the FBI as a suspect in the DB Cooper case.

Yeah, but why even bother with nutcases? Does that get you anywhere? Just the fact he thinks the DB Cooper event date was chosen based on his ex-wife's birthday or some such non-sense ought to eliminate him from having anything serious to say.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll listen to anything that a guy type rated in DC 7s has to say. Heavy recip time gets extra slack from me.

But I do agree Quade that there are holes in the Burnworth story big enough to fly a C 133 through.

Check out the C 133. I sure wish Don K had lured this baby to Quincy or Rantoul before she retired in 2007. HUGE... and she only cost $20,000 surplus. They were structurally compromised, but hey, we wear parachutes.

http://sites.google.com/site/boeing377/c133

The sex abuse stuff sounds suspicious. How could a person witness and photograph such abuse and not intervene to stop it and/or call the police? If you had proof then the perpertators would do a LOT of time in prison. Having proof and ignoring it just doesnt sound likely to me.

I agree - for anyone, but especially for your own kids! I realise custody etc was more difficult to gain for fathers in those days, but i can't believe the authorities would have turned a blind eye to that.

And even with 5 wives, one would think someone could be a bit more specific about marriage and divorce dates, rather than when he thinks he was married and divorced? I mean, if he can't be sure about that, I'm not sure how much to take at face value re memory of other dates.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

DC-7-C landing and launching from Dutch Harbor Airport???

Why not? Runway is 3900 ft long, 100 ft wide. DC 7C has 127 ft wingspan but I dont think there are obstacles alongside the runway which would preclude a DC 7 from flying in or out. Am I missing something? I am not a licensed pilot.

DC-7-C landing and launching from Dutch Harbor Airport???

Why not? Runway is 3900 ft long, 100 ft wide. DC 7C has 127 ft wingspan but I dont think there are obstacles alongside the runway which would preclude a DC 7 from flying in or out. Am I missing something? I am not a licensed pilot.

It's a bit short for normal (legal) operation for the DC-7. Normal length would be something about 6,400 ft. long at a sea level airport.

The requirement isn't just the take off roll, but the accelerate/stop distance. That is to say, enough pavement to make take off speed and then instantly shut down and stop.

Airlines have that requirement, non-commercial operations do not (usually (always gotta leave an exception)).

Beyond that, just the landing requirement (over a 50 ft obstacle) was something slightly over a mile.
quade -

Dutch Harbor elevation 22 feet (22 f e e t) with a pattern altitude of 2,100 feet.... think there are obstacles? Or is this profile just for fun?

VASI skewed 5 degrees. Just before flare you can turn and take a big bite out of the seat cushion... yeeeee hawwww.

How is your snow and ice landing abilities? What runway conditions are used for the flight manuals? Much snow or ice in Alaska? Wind at Dutch Harbor?

Now.... what is the problem with landing a fish laden DC-7-C again?

The B-36 has a 220 foot wing span and ten (10 manly) engines... that thing would be able to operate out of Dutch Harbor no problem... after all the B-36 flew out of Alaska many times.... right? Apples and nudibranks.

Dutch Harbor elevation 22 feet (22 f e e t) with a pattern altitude of 2,100 feet.... think there are obstacles? Or is this profile just for fun?

VASI skewed 5 degrees. Just before flare you can turn and take a big bite out of the seat cushion... yeeeee hawwww.

He said he wasn't a pilot. He probably doesn't know a normal pattern altitude is 800 to 1000 feet above the runway, nor does he probably know that a normal glide slope into a landing is 3°. Yes, an extra 2° is a hell of a lot if a person wasn't used to it. Normal flap and power settings a pilot was used to in the aircraft simply wouldn't work as it would mean the aircraft would come in fast. The bigger the aircraft, the bigger the issue too. A Piper Cub or C-172 probably wouldn't care all that much, but with something that requires more than a mile to land you'd be in for a surprise if not prepared.
quade -

I dont suppose he gives a firm date? Was it even
in 1972? X said the agents said they had a lot of time and $$$ invested on Don - related to Cooper,
the kid matter, or what?

But if X and Don worked together say after 1972
whywould agentsgo to X at all, on what info?

Again we need a chain of real dates to hang things
on ...

I dont quite accept Quade's nutcase theory - it might
have been a nutcase agents were looking for and
at!

Has any hijacker been something other than a nutcase with a complicated life?

X was referring to the US military's investment of time, money and training in Burnworth - not the FBI's investment.

This is based on alot of inference X received from the three federal authorities who individually interviewed him in three sequential, separate sessions. Exactly what was said by the agents, I do not know because X is very cagey about what the feddies specifically said.

X says he wants to hold onto some details as a kind of trump card.

By the way, Don was very eager to receive the URL to this site. I hope he joins the discussion. X also reads this forum, and is a big fan of Sluggo's!