47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I just posted this on the Mountain News, but since many of the members of the Citizen Sleuths post here I thought I'd share it on the DZ as well.

The Hunt, Chapter 6.1, The Citizen Sleuths, 2. 2. 13

The Citizen Sleuths (CS) are a group of scientists and Norjak experts brought together by Special Agent Larry Carr early in his tenure as the Cooper case agent.

It was perhaps the most visible expression of his vision to solve the case by enlisting the assistance of the public. Carr hoped a team of citizen volunteers could be a parallel investigatory arm coupled to the resources he had at the FBI, and under his supervision they would provide the Bureau with lots of free – and perhaps innovative - sleuthing.

The group has been known by a few names, such as the Citizen Sleuth Team and the Cooper Research Group, but now it calls itself simply, “Citizen Sleuths.” Although Carr has left the case the CS are still working, and gave major presentations at the 2011 DB Cooper Symposium in Portland on a variety of findings.

The CS have fulfilled much of Carr’s vision for them, especially furthering the investigation of the money and clip-on tie. However, they also triggered some unintended consequences for the FBI that have proved very troubling.

But first, a personality profile of the sleuths:

Tom Kaye is the leader, and is a self-taught scientist with many interests and skills. Despite his lack of a college degree, Tom is an accomplished paleontologist with many publishing credits, and has worked as a contract researcher on digs for the University of Washington’s Burke Museum. He is also an inventor, and reportedly made millions developing paint ball guns.

Tom was recommended to Larry Carr by a fellow scientist named Jerry W., a university professor who wishes to maintain some privacy; hence I am withholding his last name.

Tom lives in Arizona, and is generally responsive to email queries about his Norjak work.

Carol Abraczinskas is known affectionately as “Abracadabra,” and is both a professor and science illustrator at the University of Chicago.

She is also a leading investigator into the connection between DB Cooper and the “Dan Cooper” comics popular in French-speaking Europe in the 1950s and 1960s. This odd piece of evidence was first brought to light by Snowmman at the DZ, and then championed by Larry Carr. After Carr left the case, Carol seems to have picked up the mantle of discovery, and she delivered an overview of the subject at the 2011 Symposium.

Alan Stone is a metallurgist, and a key scientist working on the CS team, especially in the electron spectroscopy experiments that were conducted on the tie and money. Alan works at a private metallurgical research firm in Illinois.

In addition, the CS expanded in 2009 to include associate members for a field trip to the Columbia River Basin, where they conducted experiments at Tina’s Bar and explored the Washougal watershed. This latter group includes Jerry Thomas and the fellow who found the money three decades ago, Brian Ingram. In addition, the CS were accompanied by an in-house FBI journalist from Washington, DC who would like to remain anonymous, but whose initials are BF. Also, Geoffrey Gray is mentioned by the Oregonian newspaper as participating in the group’s activities, and in Skyjack Gray discusses his experiences with the CS, especially his encounter with one of Jerry’s wayward kids in the hills above the Washougal River.

Apparently, Tom Kaye is more than just a leader of a group of volunteers, but someone dedicated to a new and bold investigation. Jerry Thomas told me that Kaye funded a large part of the Citizen Sleuths activities at the Columbia, paying for himself, Abraczinskas, Thomas, Ingram and Stone, while the FBI paid for Carr and BF. Presumably, Geoffrey Gray paid his own way.

Findings of the CS:

To begin, the CS spent two major periods of time perusing the FBI evidence – first in 2009 under Larry Carr’s tutelage and then in August 2011 under the administration of Curtis Eng. Access to certain personal files was denied to the CS, such as those developed during the investigation of suspects.

Although little physical evidence has been found overall in Norjak, which makes the case intriguing, what the FBI actually has on file in its evidence room is still modest, with the CS reporting that the evidentiary collection is “sparse.”

Nevertheless, the CS examined a variety of physical evidence and focused primarily on two items – the money and the clip-tie.

They asked some refreshing questions. In particular, could the bills tell the story of where they had been via microscopic analysis of the diatoms and other chemical residues imbedded in the bills? The answer to that question has been inconclusive, but certainly the CS raised the big red flag of why some of the bills are so discolored. In fact, a few bills are virtually black in color. Why?

As part of a microscopic analysis they found the bills have curiously large amounts of silver impregnated in the fibers.

The two clues – the blackening and the silver residues - seem to be connected. At present, the CS say the discoloration is due to the silver nitrate compounds used by the Bureau to test the bills for fingerprints.

But, one would think that would be obvious to a seasoned FBI agent, and a blackened bill wouldn’t need any separate analysis - which begs a second question, why was anyone asking the first question?

So far, none of these issues have been resolved.

During the several days this larger group spent on the water, they examined the floatability of the money bundles, measured the slopes of the river bank and compared aerial photos, and analyzed the shoreline sediments.

The CS also made ancillary inquiries; in particular to the manufacturer of the rubber bands wrapped around the three bundles of twenties found by Brian Ingram.

Tom Kaye says that they were able to find the original manufacturers of the rubber bands, who informed the CS that the bands would only last in the wild for three or four months. Yet, according to Brian the bands were intact when he picked the bundles out of the sand, but crumbled soon afterwards.

“So this is in conflict with the idea that they (the bills) would be rolling down the river for seven years,” Kaye told a reporter from KGW-TV in Portland.

It also raises the question of where the bundles were between the skyjacking in 1971 and their discovery in 1980. However, Kaye has acknowledged that the rubber bands might have been preserved much longer if buried in the sand.

How much longer is still unresolved.

Also, the CS put a few 20s under microscopes, looking first at the biological residues and the curious little holes found puncturing the bills. The CS was hoping that they might be able to find traces of “diatoms,” small aquatic creatures that live in all the waterways of the Columbia Basin. Kaye told me that the diatoms could function like a biochemical fingerprint, leaving unique signatures that reflect individual bodies of water – replete with their own mineral and biological characteristics.

It was a very ambitious and thoughtful endeavor. However, it didn’t seem to reveal much information.

“We didn’t see any diatoms on the money,” Kaye wrote me in September 2009.

Nevertheless, Pat Forman has told me that Tom Kaye had told her the money had mineral residues on it indicating it had spent some time in a damp environment south of the Columbia River, in the areas of northern Oregon. Pat felt this validated her belief that Barb had stashed the money for several years in an agricultural cistern in Woodburn, Oregon.

However, I have not found any corroboration on this claim. My relationship with Tom Kaye is uneven, as the CS “goes black” with frequency. This means the members of the CS do not communicate with any media for long periods of time. The question of what Kaye told Pat Forman – or what mineral markers have been detected, if any - has not been answered, falling regrettably into this black hole of silence.

Nevertheless, Kaye did post on the DZ in 2011 that he thought the money did not float to Tina’s Bar. One reason he gave was that the bills seemed to have been stacked for a long period of time, almost compressing them together.

“The money we examined was sort of adhered to the other bills in the stack and when they were separated, in some places a stock of bill chunks came with a single bill. You could see that the bills were all lined up one below the other when they were buried.”

In contrast, Kaye said that his floatability survey indicated that bundles of money “fan out” when immersed in the water.

Fortunately, I have found Tom to be quite chatty in person, and the CS have established a comprehensive web site to discuss their work, sharing the following important finding: “…the money…fragments recovered from Tina’s Bar were examined. Contrary to popular reports, there were only a few fragments in plastic boxes and no indication that there was a quantity of fragments found or any information on exactly where they were recovered.” (Italics are mine).

So where are the money shards that have received so much attention? The feds aren’t saying, and my queries to the Bureau on this matter are met with variations of boilerplate spin such as “…Norjak is still an open case and the FBI does not comment on its on-going investigations.”

Stonewall.

Moving on, the clip-on tie has revealed significant findings.

The tie was examined twice by the CS. In 2009, they report that they took many “sticky tape” and “stub samples” for a scanning electron microscope. Initially, they were looking for pollen spores and chemical residues.

During the second visit in 2011, the tie was “thoroughly sampled using a variety of techniques including ultra violet (UV) laser florescence and forensic vacuum for high density particle collection.”

The CS found significant amounts of pollen on the tie, saying that spores of Club Moss, common in herbal remedies and homeopathic medicines, were “prevalent.” Conversely, no pollen residues from other plants were found, which was a disappointment since the CS had hoped to get geographical markers from this line of investigation.

Perhaps more telling was the CS discovery of titanium fragments on the tie, suggesting that the tie – and most probably DB Cooper – had ben exposed to metal filings sometime shortly before the skyjacking.

Titanium is an uncommon metal. In 1971 it was used mostly in airplane manufacturing as it is lightweight and strong, and currently, titanium is also used in golf club fabrication and paints. Nationwide there are about half-dozen foundries that produce titanium in the form that was found on the tie.

Did Cooper work in any of them? Or could DB Cooper have been an engineer at Boeing, or some kind of tie-wearing technician at a shop working with titanium?

In addition, the CS found other bits of metal, such as two microscopic spiral shards of aluminum, which may have come from a drill bit. The CS also found traces of stainless steel and magnesium, plus exotic metals like bismuth. As a result, the CS feel that Cooper may have worked or visited a highly specialized metal fabrication plant before his skyjacking.

Despite the assortment of metal shards the CS focused primarily on the titanium.

“Of all the particles examined on the tie, the titanium particles were the most distinctive,” the CS reports at http://www.citizensleuths.com/pollen.html .

In 1971, titanium was considered a “strategic” metal used primarily in military aircraft and some civilian aircraft, possibly the mock-ups of the SST, the Super-Sonic Transport being developed by Boeing at their Renton, Washington facility. Further, the shards found on Cooper’s tie were pure titanium and not an alloy. Importantly, titanium alloys were more common in the manufacturing of civilian airplanes, so Cooper’s exposure to pure titanium places him in some very specialized environments, perhaps one of the titanium manufacturing plants in the United States.

Alan Stone, at the 2011 Symposium said that in 1971 there were six sites that could be considered as a place Cooper might have visited – four are in the United States, and one each in the UK and Japan. In addition, Russian processes some raw titanium sand.

The titanium foundry in Albany, Oregon known as the Oregon Metallurgical Corporation, or Oremet, is one candidate.

However, Bob Sailshaw, a retired Boeing engineer, has reported in the DZ that pieces of titanium alloy and pure titanium were available in scrap tote-boxes in the alley ways of the 9-101 building at the Development Center in Seattle next to the main floor shop where many things were developed and tested for use on the SST airplane. Sail wrote to me and said: “A person looking through a tote-box could have easily picked up small machining and dust particles on their tie as it hung down into the tote-box while scrounging for free items. That lab had experimented with flame-spraying metal, even pure titanium, on leading edge parts for high temperature protection. Sheridan Peterson (a prime suspect) worked in the ‘Manuals and Handbooks Group’ that had office space in the same building on the 2nd floor and right above the research lab in the late 1960's.”

Kaye seems to have vacillated about where Cooper might have picked up the titanium and initially I thought he had suggested the SST program at Boeing, but later when I asked him to clarify this issue at the Portland Symposium he told me explicitly that it was not Boeing.

“The only connection of pure titanium to SST manufacturing at Boeing was the fact that when Boeing scrapped the SST project it collapsed the titanium industry,” he said wryly.

But Sail strongly refutes Kaye’s perspective:

“Boeing was working with all forms of titanium in the experimental shop, including pure titanium to flame-spray on leading edge components. Pure titanium does not have the strength of alloyed titanium, but has better high-temperature characteristics. I think Boeing was possibly the only place the tie could have got the pure titanium machining particles. Kaye's ‘not Boeing’ is just a bad conclusion.”

Sadly, my efforts to clarify this perspective with the CS have fallen back into the black hole of “we’re not talking to anyone at this time.”

One element that can be clarified is Geoffrey Gray’s contention that the titanium found on the tie was a raw form of titanium called “titanium sponge.” Kaye has widely refuted that claim, saying Geoffrey jumped the gun as the CS were in the early stages of examining their discovery, ultimately realizing that the initial findings may have been a false reading coming from match-head residues of chlorine and sulfur coupled with molecules of pure titanium.

One important finding of the CS is what they didn’t see - they never examined the Amboy chute, found in 2009. This is confounding as I have not spoken substantively with anyone who has, or knows where it is, or even knows definitely where it was found. This conundrum will be further explored in the chapter on the parachutes.

Other problems were created by the presence of the CS themselves.

The CS were apparently were left unsupervised in the evidence room in Seattle, although Alan Stone said at the Portland Symposium in 2011 that Larry Carr was present with them in 2009. However, none of the pictures taken of the CS include Carr, which is odd considering that Larry loved media attention. As a result, the evidence may be considered now to be legally compromised.

More disturbing is the disassembling of the tie as described in Gray’s book, Skyjack, where the CS decided to pull the tie apart and look at its fibers more closely under an electron microscope. Were they authorized to man-handled the evidence like this?

Equally problematic is the question of how the members of the CS were selected. Could anyone be part of the group? What qualified the members that were chosen? What happened to the notion of “equal access” for all citizens? Why can’t I review the evidence like the CS did, and ultimately, why not you, dear reader? The activities of the CS left the Bureau vulnerable to legal challenges from journalists and the general public.

Also, the knowledge gained by the CS couldn’t be controlled by the Bureau. The CS functioned separately and had independent access to media. Frankly, the members of the CS were more forthcoming than anyone in the FBI, and I learned volumes about the money find by talking to members of the CS for five minutes at the end of dinner in Portland. They had nothing to hide, and they didn’t.

Lastly, did the FBI really fail to conduct a microscopic investigation of the tie and money? Certainly the FBI has electron microscopes and spectrographic instrumentation – I know my biology department at Hofstra University had some in 1971. So, it’s hard to believe that the feds didn’t conduct some kind of analysis akin to the CS.

But if they didn’t, why not?

And if they did, where are their findings? This raises the question of whether the Citizen Sleuths are truly that, or are they actors in a Kabuki Theater production staged for more pernicious political reasons?

LOL...got to say it ----as has been noted several times before --- he sure looks like one happy, broke, short ditch digger. Just sayin...:)The picture does look posed, but even if not, they all look like they are having a grand ol time. (Even the flippin animal----what is she doing with her hand??? Trying to make it smile?? :S
Frankly, it is hard to see the dire straits that some want to associate with the picture. Could be he might have just been helping out a friend and she might have felt obligated to pay him.

but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

well said, technically is he really digging a ditch, he says this a lot
without the picture, this leaves a thought of a man and a shovel
digging and sweating his way out of poverty. kind of dressing it
up a bit I would say B|

"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Lastly, did the FBI really fail to conduct a microscopic investigation of the tie and money? Certainly the FBI has electron microscopes and spectrographic instrumentation – I know my biology department at Hofstra University had some in 1971. So, it’s hard to believe that the feds didn’t conduct some kind of analysis akin to the CS.

But if they didn’t, why not?

And if they did, where are their findings? This raises the question of whether the Citizen Sleuths are truly that, or are they actors in a Kabuki Theater production staged for more pernicious political reasons?

Good overview Bruce.
You know, I don't begrudge the CS's access, but it does beg the question how the FBI picks and chooses who to give access to.
And as for handling evidence, I think it was not only compromised if CS handled it without supervision, but even before CS - as certain videos and pics showed someone handling evidence without gloves and it appears that that evidence was simply all stashed together with no attempts to prevent contract transfer from one item to another. I know this was in the days before they were concerned about that stuff, but it does bring into question how anything found on the items would be conclusive.

For these reasons, (though there are others), I'd venture to say that any conviction of a caught DB Cooper would be a miracle in itself --- which has to make one wonder why still with all the cloak and dagger? ;)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

This raises the question of whether the Citizen Sleuths are truly that, or are they actors in a Kabuki Theater production staged for more pernicious political reasons?

The only "Kabuki" I am aware of, is that which is
staring me in the face, in your last sentence above.

Get real for once Bruce, if you can.

"Scientists who can explain what they are doing and
why, are rare. Writers who can explain what scientists
are doing and why, are even more rare." - Richard
Feynman

B|

The Geestmans needed a septic tank ditch dug for their property at Bonney Lake in 1970. Kenny needed money and volunteered to help for the wages. The ditch was dug, Kenny was paid, and the tank was installed. Doesn't mean he was DB Cooper.

So they say. Might be. Might not. My point exactly. B|

Smokin99 wrote

I'd venture to say that any conviction of a caught DB Cooper would be a miracle in itself --- which has to make one wonder why still with all the cloak and dagger?

The FBI has been amazingly cavalier about the handling of physical evidence. It's not normal practice. As a defense lawyer, when I had my experts examine physical evidence or run lab tests the prosecution enforced strict protocols so that the custody chain was unbroken and fully documented and that contamination or alteration of evidence was prevented.

Even in minor cases this was how things were handled. I represented a ghetto bar owner who the cops hated. He was arrested for serving alcohol to a minor. It was a major hassle just to get a sample of the drink which was preserved. My lab had to sign for the sample and document it's handling at every step. The prosecution wisely only gave my lab a portion of the sample so that they had a control if my findings were later to be disputed. My client got really lucky. My lab tested zero alcohol. When the police lab repeated their test they found the same thing. Case dismissed.

It might be that the FBI has some undisclosed evidence that has been very carefully handled and that is highly probative in identifying Cooper, enough so that a conviction could be secured without any other evidence. Cigarette butts might fit this description. It just makes no sense that they would be "lost".

Peterson, a highly qualified suspect, was ruled out on DNA. Maybe it wasn't tie DNA but cigarette DNA which would be more confidently linked to DB Cooper.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Smokin99 wrote

I'd venture to say that any conviction of a caught DB Cooper would be a miracle in itself --- which has to make one wonder why still with all the cloak and dagger?

The FBI has been amazingly cavalier about the handling of physical evidence. It's not normal practice. As a defense lawyer, when I had my experts examine physical evidence or run lab tests the prosecution enforced strict protocols so that the custody chain was unbroken and fully documented and that contamination or alteration of evidence was prevented.

Even in minor cases this was how things were handled. I represented a ghetto bar owner who the cops hated. He was arrested for serving alcohol to a minor. It was a major hassle just to get a sample of the drink which was preserved. My lab had to sign for the sample and document it's handling at every step. The prosecution wisely only gave my lab a portion of the sample so that they had a control if my findings were later to be disputed. My client got really lucky. My lab tested zero alcohol. When the police lab repeated their test they found the same thing. Case dismissed.

It might be that the FBI has some undisclosed evidence that has been very carefully handled and that is highly probative in identifying Cooper, enough so that a conviction could be secured without any other evidence. Cigarette butts might fit this description. It just makes no sense that they would be "lost".

Peterson, a highly qualified suspect, was ruled out on DNA. Maybe it wasn't tie DNA but cigarette DNA which would be more confidently linked to DB Cooper.

Hi 377,

To the best of your knowledge (or anybody else), were the cigarette butts lost before they arrived at Quantico to be DNA tested or after they were tested and sent back to the evidence box in Seattle?

Vicki
Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

Hi Vicki, welcome back!

I am sorry but I do not know the answer to your question about when and where the cig butts disappeared.

The FBI seems to have high confidence in their ability to rule out suspects using (alleged) Cooper DNA, so I just have a hunch that they have something besides the tie, something less likely to have been contaminated with the DNA of others.

The loss or destruction of evidence can ruin the chances of a successful prosecution. Defense counsel can argue that the lost evidence would have proved that his client was NOT the person who committted the crime. The loss of potentially exculpatory evidence often results in a dismissal because it deprives the defendant of a right to a fair trial. If there is other evidence that indisputably proves the defendant's guilt then the loss of other evidence may be considered "harmless error" and a conviction will be upheld on appeal.

The cigarette butts probably had DBC's DNA and would have been the best evidence available. Their loss could blow any chance of a successful prosecution. The FBI bungles sometimes but they are generally pretty careful about preserving evidence. They know that a failure has dire legal consequences.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi Vicki, welcome back!

I am sorry but I do not know the answer to your question about when and where the cig butts disappeared.

The FBI seems to have high confidence in their ability to rule out suspects using (alleged) Cooper DNA, so I just have a hunch that they have something besides the tie, something less likely to have been contaminated with the DNA of others.

The loss or destruction of evidence can ruin the chances of a successful prosecution. Defense counsel can argue that the lost evidence would have proved that his client was NOT the person who committted the crime. The loss of potentially exculpatory evidence often results in a dismissal because it deprives the defendant of a right to a fair trial. If there is other evidence that indisputably proves the defendant's guilt then the loss of other evidence may be considered "harmless error" and a conviction will be upheld on appeal.

The cigarette butts probably had DBC's DNA and would have been the best evidence available. Their loss could blow any chance of a successful prosecution. The FBI bungles sometimes but they are generally pretty careful about preserving evidence. They know that a failure has dire legal consequences.

My current understanding - from piecing together bits here and there - is that the cigarette butts were lost shortly after they were analyzed for DNA, somewhere in the 2002-2003 time period.

Pat Forman has told me that she and Ron clearly remember a 2002 TV news reporter on Seattle TV discussing the DNA findings gained from the cigs. Hence, the bigger question is where is the DNA report, now.

Hi 377,

To the best of your knowledge (or anybody else), were the cigarette butts lost before they arrived at Quantico to be DNA tested or after they were tested and sent back to the evidence box in Seattle?

Vicki

I recall Larry Carr posting here saying that the cigarette butts were already lost when he requested Las Vegas FO to send them to him in Seattle for further evaluation in about 2007. I remember being surprised that they were in Las Vegas and not Seattle, and when I asked Jerry Thomas about this oddity, he was quite lackadaisical about it.

I think Las Vegas got involved because the head of the retrieval team in Reno was the SAC from Las Vegas, according to Calame and Rhodes.

Bruce wrote:

My current understanding - from piecing together bits here and there - is that the cigarette butts were lost shortly after they were analyzed for DNA, somewhere in the 2002-2003 time period.

If true then is it cigarette DNA that they use to rule out suspects? I was not aware that they analysed the cigarette butts for DNA. If they did, I assume they would have compared it to the tie DNA to shore up their conclusion that the tie was Cooper's.

Bruce wrote:

If true then is it cigarette DNA that they use to rule out suspects? I was not aware that they analysed the cigarette butts for DNA. If they did, I assume they would have compared it to the tie DNA to shore up their conclusion that the tie was Cooper's.

I don't know that he said DNA -- just that they were "processed" in the lab.
From ckret post:

Still looking for the cigarettes, after they were processed in the lab they were sent back to the field. So they are somewhere between Washington DC and Seattle or disposed of. Every spot on the plane possibly touched by Cooper was processed for prints. The seats he was sitting in were actually removed and sent to DC.

Bruce wrote: ***My current understanding - from piecing together bits here and there - is that the cigarette butts were lost shortly after they were analyzed for DNA, somewhere in the 2002-2003 time period.

From ckret post:

Still looking for the cigarettes, after they were processed in the lab they were sent back to the field. So they are somewhere between Washington DC and Seattle or disposed of. Every spot on the plane possibly touched by Cooper was processed for prints. The seats he was sitting in were actually removed and sent to DC.

And what happened to the glass he drank from.

I'm working up a profile on the physical characteristics of DB Cooper, and some behavioral ones. If I've left anything out, please let me know - thanks.

The Hunt, Chapter 4.4, Who was DB Cooper?

Here is what we know about DB Cooper:

First, we know for sure that his name was not DB Cooper, since the initials were a result of a misunderstanding between a reporter and a Portland police detective.

The man known to us as DB Cooper, however, introduced himself to the NWO ticket counter as “Dan Cooper,” and that is the name that the ticket agent, Dennis Lysine, wrote on the skyjacker’s boarding pass.

The man calling himself Dan Cooper was a male Caucasian in his mid-to-late 40s, or possibly even early 50s, which is very old to be conducting rigorous – and inventive - criminal activity.

Cooper was wearing a dark brown or black suit, white shirt and thin clip-on black tie. Over this he wore a lightweight black raincoat. He wore loafers or some kind of slip-on shoe that might have come to his ankles. He may have been wearing a set of thermal underwear beneath his business attire.

The detailed physical descriptions given by the passengers vary, but there is a general consistency in their accounts:

Cooper’s hair was dark brown or black and short, and parted on the left side. It may have been wavy in the manner that is called “marcelled.”

He was identified as having “dark, piercing eyes,” that flight attendant Florence Schaffner declared were brown. He may have had a square jaw, or a saggy chin.

He was about six-foot tall or maybe six-one. Some fellow passengers thought he might have been five-ten. Cooper was trim and was estimated to be about 175 pounds. He also had an olive complexion, leading some to believe that he might have been of Mediterranean heritage.

He also carried a cloth-like brief case and toted a brown paper bag, also reported to be a burlap sack. We later learned that he had a pair of wrap-around sunglasses and a knife of some kind that he used to cut parachute cords. He wore no hat.

The ticket agent said Cooper stood off by himself in the passenger waiting area, staring out the window until the boarding call was issued for Flight 305. In general, Cooper looked and acted like a business man heading home for the Thanksgiving holiday.

But he did attract some attention, and NWO gate agent Hal Williams reported that one of 305’s passengers stood out from the rest – a guy dressed all in black and who looked like a “lone wolf,” according to Geoffrey Gray in Skyjack.

Cooper spoke with no discernible accent, leading some to believe that he might have been raised in the Midwest. He had no visible tattoos, scars or distinguishing anatomical features that are known publicly. However, it is rumored that the FBI knows of a small scar on Cooper’s hand that it has not revealed to the public.

However, he smoked Raleigh cigarettes, and left eight aboard the plane. The flight attendants said that his fingers were discolored from the tobacco smoke, suggesting that he was a heavy smoker. Further, he wore no rings or any jewelry, but he wore a watch.

Cooper drank a Bourbon and water during the two and one-half hour wait over Sea-Tac.

Himmelsbach describes Cooper's behavior as desperate and crude, but the flight attendants describe Cooper as mostly calm and thoughtful – a “gentleman” one recalled.

Cooper used a noteworthy colloquial expression, “funny stuff.” During the refueling of the craft he warned the crew not to attempt any “funny stuff or I’ll do the job.”

Cooper was very knowledgeable of the plane and possibly parachuting: He knew the requirements for flying a 727 so that a parachute jump would be successful. That was classified information in 1971.

He was familiar with avionic terminology, and properly identified the intercom radio as an “interphone,” and the stairway used by airlines to load passengers on the runway as an “airstairs.”

His use of a bomb was considered by the FBI to be a “game changer,” and thwarted any effort to rush him from different directions.

His choice of destinations – “Mexico City or anywhere in Mexico” – is widely believed to be astute, as it put him in the air corridor known as Victor 23 and over predictable terrain.

Cooper’s insistence that the fuel trucks be positioned to the port side of the plane gave him optimum visibility of events outside the plane. His choice of seat 18 E was also optimal for monitoring events in the plane during the hijacking. Similarly, his crowd control was successful, and he had the passengers in the rear of the aircraft moved forward without incident.

His use of the flight attendants as couriers kept the cockpit crew at a distance, and minimized his exposure to eye witnesses. Cooper wisely demanded the return of all of his notes. He even pocketed an empty paper match cover he had used from the ashtray.

Cooper also demonstrated a familiarity with the area, noting that McChord Air Base was only 20 minutes from Sea-Tac, and correctly identified the lights of Tacoma from the air as they circled Sea-Tac.

Cooper also insisted that meals be brought aboard for the crew, even though they never ate them, and according to Bill Rataczak the German Shepherds brought aboard in Reno to search for the bomb ate the food before doing any sniffing.

Cooper also brought several tablets of Benzedrine to keep the crew alert.

Bruce wrote:

From ckret post:

Since certain evidence I provided to the FBI thur CARR never made it to the succeeding agents - I don't TRUST him one bit.

The FBI did NOT even ask me for DNA until 2003 - now put that in your pipe and smoke it. If they had DNA from the cigarettes they would have requested DNA from Duane Weber in 1997 and way before 2003. Logic is all one needs with this.

The butts had been LOST prior to Weber being presented as a subject - IF THE FBI had the butts in 1997 when WEBER was presented as a suspect - WHY was his DNA not requested?

WHY would they send a letter in 1998 stating Weber's prints did NOT match the prints on the plane?

Paper work and recorded phone calls by others - dispute all of the stuff you guys have spent the last 24 hrs discussing.

I have the letter from the FBI!
I have the receipts for the DNA and the receipts of the return of the DNA. IF THEY HAD DNA IN 1997 - DUANE WEBER's DNA WOULD HAVE BEEN REQUESTED AT THAT TIME....not 5 yrs LATER!

The smokes were lost during the time of the McCoy arguments long before Duane Weber ever became a suspect. Supposedly the agent SHOWED his wife and someone else the tie??????? OR so it was claimed.

You guys get SO lost in your time frames! Go back in time and you will know the smokes disappeared BEFORE Weber ever became a suspect!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

I'm working up a profile on the physical characteristics of DB Cooper, and some behavioral ones. If I've left anything out, please let me know - thanks.

First, we know for sure that his name was not DB Cooper, since the initials were a result of a misunderstanding between a reporter and a Portland police detective.

The man known to us as DB Cooper, however, introduced himself to the NWO ticket counter as “Dan Cooper,” and that is the name that the ticket agent, Dennis Lysine, wrote on the skyjacker’s boarding pass.

The man calling himself Dan Cooper was a male Caucasian in his mid-to-late 40s, or possibly even early 50s, which is very old to be conducting rigorous – and inventive - criminal activity.

Cooper was wearing a dark brown or black suit, white shirt and thin clip-on black tie. Over this he wore a lightweight black raincoat. He wore loafers or some kind of slip-on shoe that might have come to his ankles. He may have been wearing a set of thermal underwear beneath his business attire.

The detailed physical descriptions given by the passengers vary, but there is a general consistency in their accounts:

Cooper’s hair was dark brown or black and short, and parted on the left side. It may have been wavy in the manner that is called “marcelled.”

He was identified as having “dark, piercing eyes,” that flight attendant Florence Schaffner declared were brown. He may have had a square jaw, or a saggy chin.

He was about six-foot tall or maybe six-one. Some fellow passengers thought he might have been five-ten. Cooper was trim and was estimated to be about 175 pounds. He also had an olive complexion, leading some to believe that he might have been of Mediterranean heritage.

He also carried a cloth-like brief case and toted a brown paper bag, also reported to be a burlap sack. We later learned that he had a pair of wrap-around sunglasses and a knife of some kind that he used to cut parachute cords. He wore no hat.

The ticket agent said Cooper stood off by himself in the passenger waiting area, staring out the window until the boarding call was issued for Flight 305. In general, Cooper looked and acted like a business man heading home for the Thanksgiving holiday.

But he did attract some attention, and NWO gate agent Hal Williams reported that one of 305’s passengers stood out from the rest – a guy dressed all in black and who looked like a “lone wolf,” according to Geoffrey Gray in Skyjack.

Cooper spoke with no discernible accent, leading some to believe that he might have been raised in the Midwest. He had no visible tattoos, scars or distinguishing anatomical features that are known publicly. However, it is rumored that the FBI knows of a small scar on Cooper’s hand that it has not revealed to the public.

However, he smoked Raleigh cigarettes, and left eight aboard the plane. The flight attendants said that his fingers were discolored from the tobacco smoke, suggesting that he was a heavy smoker. Further, he wore no rings or any jewelry, but he wore a watch.

Cooper drank a Bourbon and water during the two and one-half hour wait over Sea-Tac.

Himmelsbach describes Cooper's behavior as desperate and crude, but the flight attendants describe Cooper as mostly calm and thoughtful – a “gentleman” one recalled.

Cooper used a noteworthy colloquial expression, “funny stuff.” During the refueling of the craft he warned the crew not to attempt any “funny stuff or I’ll do the job.”

Cooper was very knowledgeable of the plane and possibly parachuting: He knew the requirements for flying a 727 so that a parachute jump would be successful. That was classified information in 1971.

He was familiar with avionic terminology, and properly identified the intercom radio as an “interphone,” and the stairway used by airlines to load passengers on the runway as an “airstairs.”

His use of a bomb was considered by the FBI to be a “game changer,” and thwarted any effort to rush him from different directions.

His choice of destinations – “Mexico City or anywhere in Mexico” – is widely believed to be astute, as it put him in the air corridor known as Victor 23 and over predictable terrain.

Cooper’s insistence that the fuel trucks be positioned to the port side of the plane gave him optimum visibility of events outside the plane. His choice of seat 18 E was also optimal for monitoring events in the plane during the hijacking. Similarly, his crowd control was successful, and he had the passengers in the rear of the aircraft moved forward without incident.

His use of the flight attendants as couriers kept the cockpit crew at a distance, and minimized his exposure to eye witnesses. Cooper wisely demanded the return of all of his notes. He even pocketed an empty paper match cover he had used from the ashtray.

Cooper also demonstrated a familiarity with the area, noting that McChord Air Base was only 20 minutes from Sea-Tac, and correctly identified the lights of Tacoma from the air as they circled Sea-Tac.

Cooper also insisted that meals be brought aboard for the crew, even though they never ate them, and according to Bill Rataczak the German Shepherds brought aboard in Reno to search for the bomb ate the food before doing any sniffing.

Again I like the overview, but I'm curious where some of your non-attributed points came from. It will take more time than I have right now to go line by line, but some of this - including very specific items that he addressed from the fbi files -- is contradicted by what ckret has posted in the past.
Off the top of my head, (memory here, so I might be wrong) states no one mentioned a watch, don't think the briefcase was referred to a "Cloth" briefcase, small paper sack (not sure if color was ever mentioned), use of the word interphone - I thought that was never actually found in the files - can't remember if that changed, no evidence that he had any communication about the positioning of the fuel trucks. There was only one note that he wrote and that was the initial one, Like I said I could be wrong - I'll have to look some of the stuff up, but it always come back to what/who to believe. Some of ckret's posts were his theory based on what was in the files, but also a lot of stuff, so he said, came directly from the files.

Never heard about the bennies eta: from ckret that I remember

LOL....You are probably regretting that you asked for input. Again according to the fbi guy... He originally wanted them to take off with it open and when told no, apparently assumed the door was controlled from the cockpit. Subsequently needed help from Tina to know how to open. That sounds like someone that knew it could be done but maybe wasn't fully familiar with all the finer details and needed help from the NWA employee that was. ;)

......The smokes were lost during the time of the McCoy arguments long before Duane Weber ever became a suspect.... Go back in time and you will know the smokes disappeared BEFORE Weber ever became a suspect!

Can you tell me exactly how this is known, Jo. Thanks.

Further, when were the cigarettes lost? Where were they lost, and who lost them?

Cooper’s hair was dark brown or black and short,

Insert by JO:
dark black/brown - hair representative of the temporary dyes did in 1971 which also relaxed the curls and created a shiny look

and parted on the left side. It may have been wavy in the manner that is called “marcelled.”

Insert by JO:
Duane's complexion was always compare to the movie star who played in Casino - brain will not let me remember his name.(ANTHONY QUINN)!

He also carried a cloth-like brief
case

Insert by JO: Not sure that information is entirely accurate, but do believe the money went out of that plane in a cloth and leather satchel not a whitesh bank bag. Note never heard it was a burlap sack and the paper bag was a small lunch bag size

and toted a brown paper bag, also reported to be a burlap sack. We later learned that he had a pair of wrap-around sunglasses and a knife of some kind that he used to cut parachute cords. He wore no hat.

INSERT BY JO
Weber's San Quentin and Folsom file note the scar on his hand. Was unaware the witnesses disclosed the scar!

Was there EVER a description of this watch?

Insert by JO:
That information was available prior to 1971 and one person involved with Boeing received a phone call that was put thur - the man felt responsible for possibly providing Cooper with the information he needed. This man was a friend of Duane's family, but the FBI never looked into it.

Insert by JO:
Aftstairs

Insert by JO
ARE you POSITIVE it was empty1

Benzedrine - NEVER heard that claim before!

......The smokes were lost during the time of the McCoy arguments long before Duane Weber ever became a suspect.... Go back in time and you will know the smokes disappeared BEFORE Weber ever became a suspect!

Can you tell me exactly how this is known, Jo. Thanks.

Further, when were the cigarettes lost? Where were they lost, and who lost them?

When they were lost - what I can tell you is they did NOT have them in 1998 or in 2001!

This was something explored after I received the 1998 letter from the FBI about the prints and possibly was generated by Pasternac. I would have to go thur PAGES AND PAGES and VOLUMES of emails in 4 inch binders to find it. I believe this became known around 2000 or 2001 and was one of the reasons I went public. It was part of our arguments about the FBI having NOT investigated DUANE WEBER! I can tell you it was BEFORE May of 2001.....this was discussed and at that time they could NOT find the smokes.

IT IS LOGICAL - IF THEY HAD THE BUTTS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EASY TO GET RID OF DOUG AND JO AND AT THAT TIME - JO STILL HAD VIABLE DNA FOR WEBER!

BUT the FBI never asked for DNA until 2003! Evidently they had LOST the smokes prior to that and all they had was the tie - because that is the only thing mentioned....if they had the smokes - it would have BEEN SO EASY TO DISMISS WEBER EARLY on!

I was reading about titanium in the '60s

Evidently a lot was coming from the Soviet Union. The CIA has a declassified report from around then, analyzing the unique characteristics of the titanium produced by different countries (like Japan and Soviet Union)

The SR-71 early titanium evidently came from the Soviet Union thru a straw company set up by the CIA. They wanted really pure titanium, I guess before they alloyed it, and the other sources weren't as good as the Soviet's (initially).

You should post that, to see if people know that.

It's interesting to muse how the most likely source of titanium in the late '60s was from the Soviet Union.

Kinda ironic that the USSR supplied a critical material for the SR 71 which was used to spy on it from waaaay up going waaaay fast.

Off the top of my head, (memory here, so I might be wrong) states no one mentioned a watch, don't think the briefcase was referred to a "Cloth" briefcase, small paper sack (not sure if color was ever mentioned), use of the word interphone - I thought that was never actually found in the files - can't remember if that changed, no evidence that he had any communication about the positioning of the fuel trucks. There was only one note that he wrote and that was the initial one, Like I said I could be wrong - I'll have to look some of the stuff up, but it always come back to what/who to believe. Some of ckret's posts were his theory based on what was in the files, but also a lot of stuff, so he said, came directly from the files.

Never heard about the bennies eta: from ckret that I remember

Correct - I have not read or heard of a watch being mention - if so I have 3 or 4 I will sell for the right price!

Supposedly Cooper had a dark brown or black briefcase when he boarded the plane. A cloth satchel comes into play from a story told to me by one of the crew members as how the money went out of the plane.l....not in a whitesh bank bag as Mr H has stated.

My understand the only written not was the one he gave Florence and he demanded it back. All other notes were written by the crew members - Tina scrible notes regarding Cooper's demands....and Florence made notes in the cockpit.

Right on about Ckret - how much of what he said and claimed actually came out of the files. Carr violated many protocols in this thread...and why I do NOT like him. Evidently the agents who followed CARR have had it difficult because of CARR's activities on this thread.

Look at how much of JO's STORY has been HIJACKED by others who later claim their suspect was Cooper. I never bought into the Cooper Comics but Marla and Blevins did - they swallowed it hook and sinker.

The FBI never had a better suspect than Weber - You can take those word to the BANK!

Jo wrote

Correct - I have not read or heard of a watch being mention - if so I have 3 or 4 I will sell for the right price!

The right price for Duane's watches is market price. If you can prove Duane was Cooper and can prove you have the watch worn during the skyjack it is worth a LOT. Don't sell too soon Jo. ;)

Look how much some idiots pay for a decayed Cooper twenty.

I was talking to an old friend of Duane's tonight and updating him about what all has been going on. I asked him about certain expression - (not going to print them here) but he mentioned them on his own and he does not read the thread and we only talk a couple of times a yr and only briefly.

It was short but interesting conversation - regarding a subject we had NOT discussed before...expression use by Duane.

An article by Wild Bill Yensen (MYC53) still intrigues me.

My Billy the Mouse - what does it mean and why did 377 have to make that post? Paperlegs and Scott Mouse Warner had a relationship and Duane claimed and the wife vouch for this - had a relationship with Paperlegs.

During 1962 and 1968 - Paperlegs was involved in Intermountian Communications and Duane was JOHN Collins.
Ed Horan also didn't exist until 1962.

I want to know MORE about Scott Mouse Warner (RDD-69)? Who was he and how old was he and were all did he live and who he was married to. Was he at one time a supply person during WWII - probably not, but MOUSE is very important to me and to the story of Cooper. Perhaps not the right MOUSE, but a mouse never the less. Almost anything related to jumping or chute or supplies or fires relating to MOUSE - I search and research, but I cannot find ANYTHING on this Scott Mouse Warner.

Can anyone help.
I am sure it is just a FIELD search, but I try not to leave any stones unturned.

The entire story got my attention and the other thing was the riddle that Paperlegs used! That riddle solved any doubt in my mind that Duane Weber (aka Johnnie Collins) and Paperlegs were connected for a period of time. The ex-wife said they were and she knew Paperlegs wife, but I could never verify any of this.

Wild Bill states his last jump was with Petersen in 1961 - and that makes sense since in 1962 he was INTERMOUNTIAN COMMUNICATION....OPERATING OUT OF CANON, LEADVILLE AND A PLACE IN W.COLORADO...seems like it started with an H. Areas Duane personally showed me and talked about and about the men who trained there, but did NOT mention he was one of them.

The ex from 1962 to 1972 met him there and they lived there and in AZ and many many places under the name of Johnnie Collins and she called herself more than one name during those yrs...therefore indicating she had knowledge he was running from the law.

Ed Horan did NOT exist until 1962 and his connection to Weber came out of WA, OR, ID and CO.

There was a man connected to Duane's past out of Spokane with the last name of Harris. I met this man's son in Denver.
Duane asked him about his father in Spokane - the father and Duane were about the same age. Yet, the FBI told me if I put Duane in a CHUTE - that did NOT put him on the PLANE!

Now you guys know why I want to go to Spokane, but I am unable to do so and putting Duane in a CHUTE does NOT put him on the plane.

When Duane was talking to Harris Jr. he asked him a question - one I had forgotten about. I won't discuss that question at this time and it is why I want to go to Spokane.

When I found the criminal record prior to 1950 out of Spokane - I have not been able to let go of the other memories of that discussion. Duane talked with Harris Jr about the places in Spokane - about sections of the area and where they lived and names of roads. Duane used WE live or we stayed in that conversation and I assumed it was with one of this wives. That could only be the mother of Zona called Edna 1943 to 1949 (approx) or The woman who knew him as Johnnie Collins 1962 - 1972.

The damn 1st and last name of Harris is so common I would never find him. I wonder if there was a smoke jumper by the name of HARRIS in that area or a man who was connected to the Forestry.

Hell, why keep this quiet at this time - the name I am looking for is Phil Harris and NOT not the one time county commissioner - Phil Harris evidently was a very common name in Spokane in the 40's, 50's 60's (the only yrs I am looking at), but did NOT know how to connect occupations and I do know he was about Duane's age (Duane was born in 1924).