Canuck

Nor Cal in July - where to go?

Alright, I'm going to be in Northern California July 20 through the 27th. At first I was planning on spending the full week in Lodi and taking advantage of the cheap jumps, but now I'm thinking I might tour around a little. So, where should I go? Here is the criteria:

1) No cessna loads - I get enough of those here!
2) Must have camping/showers.
3) Must be open weekdays for the 23rd through 26th.
4) Must have a freefly scene; load organizing would be nice.
5) I'd rather not go somewhere with a van ride from the airport to the landing area.
6) As always, weather is important.
7) As always, people are important, the friendlier the better 'cause I'm travelling alone! B|

Canuck

Canuck,

Skydance in Davis, CA has most of the below items. I don't know if they operate before Thursday however. I know they have been trying to do Pac loads on Thursday/Friday evenings. Lodi is probably your best bet for Turbine loads early in the week.

Have fun!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Canuck,

Skydance in Davis, CA has most of the below items. I don't know if they operate before Thursday however. I know they have been trying to do Pac loads on Thursday/Friday evenings. Lodi is probably your best bet for Turbine loads early in the week.

Have fun!

Try lodi during the week but make sure you make it out to skydance closer to the end of the week. Call manifest at skydace and see how many tandems they have going up for whatever day during the week you want to go because thats a for sure Pac load. Sat and sun is a must to go there, there is usually someone organizing some really fun free fly stuff. Its a great atmospere there too

what's wrong with a van ride? Hollister tends to have nicer conditions by a smidgeon. But Skydance still has green fields below and lands right next to the hangar, has best camp options. Biggest downer is imo, the PAC seems really crowded (and short ceiling) compared to a king air, and you give up a grand or two on the altitude.

Hollister & Monterey offer the best altitude. Hollister has a cool group of people and a great landing area. Monterey is nice on weekends with a really fast King Air and nice ocean views.

Hollister is now an "outdoor only" dropzone, so the vibe has changed a lot since last time I was up there. There aren't any couches to crash out on if you want to spend the night[:/]

Both are worth checking out if you can make the drive.

The turbine DZ's closest to Lodi are Davis and Byron. Lodi is open every day of the year, but tends to shut down a few hours before sunset. Byron and Davis are usually closed Monday and Tuesday, and open midweek if there are tandems. Both will run Cessnas if they're aren't enough people to fill the turbines, but that's usually only on the weekdays. There is no running water in Byron. Davis has camping spots and showers. Davis is great for freeflying and usually has people organizing. There are usually some good freeflyers and RW'ers in Byron. Both land right next to the hangar and airport. A strong northerly wind will usually shut down Davis. Byron is almost always windy, but there are usually people who will jump in strong winds up to a point. Both have cool friendy people.

Bring your Speedo, Teva's and black socks and you'll fit right in on Speedo Day at Byron on the 21st. Maybe we'll chip in some water to shower you with. The other days you can shop around.

anywhere in NorCal you'll have a good time.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

skydive san fran-only a cessna, no showers, no camping, beautiful scenery, very friendly people.
skydive monteray bay,great scenery, super king air, short van ride to and from loading/landing area, lots of tandems, not a lot of fun jumpers, no showers, no camping
hollister-same scenery as above, super king air, lots of friendly people, lonnnng bus ride from the landing area to the dz,watch for gopher holes, no showers or camping.
lodi-showers, really no place to camp, too close to the 99, just got in hot water with the FAA, chilly atmosphere, bunks have rats, watch out for yourself.
byron-friendly place, great people, port-0-potty's, get's very windy after 3 pm, king air, plenty of people will jump with you
davis- open tues through sunday (sunset loads usually earlier than sunset, but trying to establish sunset wednesdays), PAC, great bar (doc's place), great people, lots of great freeflyers (groovalicious!) showers good, indoor plumbing with extra port-o-potties (avoid those), place to camp. Very cool atmosphere. you'll love it.
Tahoe just opened, going there this weekend. will let you know my review later.

my advice, go to all of them. save davis for saturday. skip lodi.

Tahoe just opened, going there this weekend. will let you know my review later.

I just sent them an e-mail, what do you know about this dropzone? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

just went there this weekend. they have a pac and will fly it with just 5. the view of tahoe is fantastic. everyone is friendly. Aja, Wes and Billy are terrific. the winds shift very quickly, so make sure you check in about your landing pattern before you jump. there realy care about the jumpers and about safety. It's brand new, and has only been opened for alittle over a month. With Wes' vision, it's going to be a very successful DZ. Definately worth the trip!

Is it that bad up there?

It seems like a hell of a good deal on jump tickets!

I don't know who peed in this guy's cheerios when he was at Lodi. I've been jumping at Lodi 3+ years and I'm loving every minute.

Is it that bad up there?

It seems like a hell of a good deal on jump tickets!

I don't know who peed in this guy's cheerios when he was at Lodi. I've been jumping at Lodi 3+ years
and I'm loving every minute.

Dont believe the bullshit. Lodi is one of the best dropzones in the country.
There are cleaner and more yuppie correct DZs than Lodi....but none more fun.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.