hooked

Has everyone here had a cutaway?

I can imagine not finding my hackey, or a total mal with nothing coming out, or having a streamer ,lineover or something wrong with the canopy, but I cant imagine looking up at a bag bouncing around with nothing comming out!! Thats one mal I hope not to be a first!!! But it probalbly will ;)
jason

I can imagine not finding my hackey, or a total mal with nothing coming out, or having a streamer ,lineover or something wrong with the canopy, but I cant imagine looking up at a bag bouncing around with nothing comming out!! Thats one mal I hope not to be a first!!! But it probalbly will

We later determined that the bag lock was caused by the use of tube stows that were too tight and a marginal PC(too small) for the canopy.. Either one by itself would likely have not caused a problem, but the combination certainly did.. This determination was made by the rig manufacturer, since this was only the 10th jump on the rig and it was sent back afterwards.. The PC that was on it was an aftermarket with a hackey on it, since the PC that came with the rig had a plastic handle.. The owner received the rig back within a week with a brand new PC with hackey(made by the rig manufacturer), a fresh reserve repack, and rubber bands instead of tube stows(which were also aftermarket)..
Mike

I have had two in about 330 skydives. The first was a lineover and I knew immediately. I was spinning on my back and accelerating. The second was a real low speed call. I had a hard opening canopy (robo-Z) and snapped the line to the stabalizer on the left side. When no brakes were applied it turned gently to the left, when brakes were applied it acted like a lineover and dove hard. I chopped it at 2000 because I felt it would be too hard to land. Basically it failed the control check. I saw someone who sapped half of their A lines try to land their canopy and get dumped hard from about 15 feet.
Hope that helps. The first one, because it was so impressive what with spinning me on my back and all, scared the poop outta me. The second, as it was a judgement call, was not so bad but more of a pisser because I was about a week past the last repack.
Drewfus McDoofus

I've had 2 cutaways in 1500 jumps. The first was about 8 line twists on my 120. The other was was what I thought was a bag lock. Canopy started opening just as I was pulling the cutaway. I had to carry on with my procedures.
Before leaving the plane on every jump do a handles check. Also help out in the first jump course during the malfuction/emergency procedures section. Get up in the hanging harness a couple times a year. Practice prevents hesitation. Hesitation kills.
Danger

one and that was on my 75th jump i now have 110 but i was attempting CRW with my dad and we had one successful dock before then and this one of all ones didnt go as planned my dad ended up with my canopy all around him and i ended up choppin it at about 6 grand had a mal on my reserve where i had to fly with one toggle down to about my shoulder maybe a bit lower but that was an experience and i was told by my mom that i would be doin no more CRW(only cuase she decided to come and watch thsi one jump) but i now have 3-5 successful CRW docks and plan on doin alot more

fly fast, have fun, and be safe!!!!!!

Simultaneous deployment started as a side by side, but then turned into a downplane. The decision to chop to about 1 millisecond! "Oh shit! Chop!"

How'd you get a simultaneous deployment? Cypres fire on you, or what?
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

PC in tow leading to a stuck slider (so I interpret)jump #20.

Bloody cold on opening weekend here in Manitoba. I'd got to 15 sec delays the previous fall so I was busted back to IAD on currency issues. That weekend I went IAD, 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec...

2nd 20 sec things were rockin and I had lots of alti to spare after doing my 360's. I waited till 4k to pull anyway.

a 5 count later I was still flat - but not very happy - Shoulder check released the burbled p/c and it snatched me upright. I watched for what seemed like another 2-3 seconds and the slider did not decend!!... Understand that the Cruiselites we have are notorious for slamming you quickly... all was still not well.

Terminal round openings hurt. I watched the main drift off with a high slider and wondered WTF?!? It LOOKED like a good chute but the ground also LOOKED a bit larger than it should haveand I WAS still at close to terminal when I chopped. I was saddled at just over 2k.

Closing weekend this year (also f'ing cold) I was finishing up my FAI B RW endorsement. Now, of course, I'm quite used to pulling at 2200 and I'm quite used to the 300 ft openings the Raven inflicts on me. But, a frozen hand = a missed handle. With my "extra" 100 jumps since the chop, I knew I had time to complete one more pull as trained. I did, and then went straight for my handles just like I had as a 20 jump student. The main opening was just fine this time, but I was ready to chop just the same.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Been there, done that....... I think I'm up to 24 reserve rides in about 4400 jumps. It took 15 years and just under 2000 jps for the first 11. Then my 1st year in CA I had 11, 9 were tandems. That was 5 yrs ago, 2 this year both tandems
CB
Don't look for why it might work....look for why it might not.

Has everyone experienced having to do a cutaway, and did you realize immediately that you had to?

Do you mean
Has everyone experienced having to do a cutaway and pull reserve, and did you realize immediately that you had to?

1st: jump #7
SL from a DC-3 had opened the R3 on the right side. Same thing happened in hanging harness that very day. I finished the cutaway and pulled reserve
I beat the Steven's lanyard on chest mounted reserve. Reserve pilot chute gave me a fat lip. (No AAD)

2nd: jump #400-something
some sort of spinner on a demo in high winds into a tight spot. cutaway & pulled reserve. landed my round reserve in a river. Good thing I had REAL live water jumps to get my licenses. (No AAD, no RSL)

3rd: jump #600 or 700???
no cutaway - just a high speed total. after the 3rd try at the main - time for reserve. Pulled reserve asap. (No AAD, no RSL)

4th: jump #3000 ish ???
I was shaking risers & heard my dirt alert go off. (It was the original Dytter with only one sound at one altitude) I set it for 1500 ft, in case one day I would be shaking risers when it went off. I checked the ground & altimeter. Yup time to cutaway. Yeah it might have opened. Cutaway & pulled reserve. (No AAD, no RSL)

5th: jump #3700 ish????
some type of spinner on a World Record attempt. No- pressure. Cutaway & pulled reserve asap. (No AAD, no RSL)

6th: jump# >5K TBD

The HOT Tip:
Have BLACK LINE decision altitudes and procedures. Follow them without question.

Think
'Cutaway and pull reserve'
not just
'cutaway'

I hate you!;) You're going to make me say this which means it's going to happen. No cutaways, no reserve rides; 1148 jumps.

If it happens, may all of your children be born naked.:P

Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I had a cutaway on jump #39 (I think...38 or 39). I had a canopy collision (neither of us tracked.) Lessons learned: just because the other guy has over 500 jumps doesn't mean he knows what he's doing (nearing 500 jumps now, I am strong proof of that!) Another lesson learned: don't get on anything where you can't "take care of yourself." Other people might watch out for the inexperienced one, other people might not. And, tracking dives are WAY fun...I suggest them to all!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Jump number 60 - crossed line groups (don't ask me how -)causing a low-speed spin - not controllable. Cut, reserve, see the freebag- see the main, both coming down in the clear, cool, first jump of the day - DAMN! I'm buying beer and it ain't even 11:00 yet!
No RSL.

Easy Does It

One cutaway on jump 85. The decision didn't come right away, because the circumstances didn't warrant that. But I'm not flying a small highly-elliptical canopy either :) Don't be afraid to do it if you're in doubt - it typically only costs $50 and you're jumping is done for the day, but you have a wonderful story to tell eveyone and post on dz.com :)

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Nope, no cutaways yet (if you don't count wind cutaways as real cutaways). However, I haven't been around the sport all that long (only 154 jumps in 7 months). I'm sure I'll have one sooner or later, but I'm happy that the need hasn't yielded it's ugly head yet. I do however go through my cutaway procedures on every jump and every once in a while I watch my Breakaway video to get me into the mindset of what to do under what malfunction type.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The DZO and S&TA went over the rig when I brough it down and as near as anyone can figure the pin got bumbed either on exit or in the aiplane. Not enough to cause a premature deployment, but when the container opened for the main, so did the reserve.

At pull time, I was stable, belly to earth and well above AAD Arming or firing altitude.

Larry A-43434

One reserve ride, no cutaways. Jump #36 or thereabouts. Dropped the handle (I have a pull-out) before getting the pin out, and couldn't get a grip on the handle or the bridle after a few seconds so decided it was time for plan B. Had a nice terminal reserve opening.... actually, it wasn't that nice.... but it definitely opened.

Totally avoidable, had I spent 5 minutes on the ground rehearsing how to find the bridle on the back of my rig. Had a similar situation again recently, and was able to get to the bridle no problem.

I am also taking steps to make sure that situation doesn't occur any more. Bigger pud handle, and more mental engagement at pull time. Both times it occurred I was wearing gloves - shitty leather gloves the first time, and NFL receiver gloves with separate liners under them the second time.

Joe