Clownburner

Have you ever been injured while skydiving?

Pulled my R shoulder muscle, when try to reach a back to the door on exit .

My god damn F*#&$* left thumb gets jammed at the door, specially when in a new drop zone...

And a try to change my sunglasses configuration to "contact lenses" by pulling the toggles the wrong way on landing....."It was actually my ego that got bruised.....
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Ive had lots of cuts and bruises from the usual graceful student landings and I broke my leg (fibula) in two places on a real lame ass low turn.

Myself, I feel lucky to have had such a valuable lesson ( NO LOW TURNS ) for such a reasonable price.B|

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Most of my injuries are from shooting accuracy in the late 60 and early 70d's on round parachutes.

# fused left ankle (round 1.1 chute)
# operation right nee (round PC)
# three broken left ribs and left elbow. (PC landed on belly reserve)
# broken nose ( style jump belly reserve)
# 3 broken vertebrae in back (Para plane cloud acc jump pulled on back risers dead center but six months recoup
# rolled the tendon on left little finger pulling on the back riser on a malfunctioning square ( operation, still crooked)
It seemes to me the sport is safer from minor injuries like above but is prone to more fatalities due to the advancement
in equipment. I can remember when you had to have at least 50 1.1 jumps before you could jump a PC.

Nothing serious (knock on wood). I said wood. HeHe HeHe

So I have seen some pretty bad stuff happen to my friends but I have been pretty lucky so far. I have had a couple close calls some a bit too close for comfort. Luckily I have sustained no more than some hand scrapes from not wearing gloves taking it on a pretty fast downwind landing sliding in on a tarmak. The other mishap occured when I had about 30 jumps and didn't think to disconnect my RSL and cut my canopy away in high winds. After being drug by the canopy I learned never to do that again. I have had my share of bruises from climbing out of an airplane shooting video and my share of aches and pains from wacky openings.

All in all I say definitely worth it. I have gotten way more joy than anything out of this sport.

I also read the incident reports and try to fully understand what happened. When people make mistakes I think it is cool to share them. It may just prevent someone else from making the same type of mistake.

Just MHO.

Blues.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Hi
Just wanted to add my 5 cent worth. No major injuries. Actually only one injury 3 weeks ago when my left foot got stuck somewhere while landing and it hurt like hell. Haven't seen a doctor about it but I jumped a week after that so it must be fine.
Blue Skies:ph34r:
Skydivers Know Why Birds Are Singing

In 1997 after a 20 something point 4 way we funneled around 4k. It was a sunset load and I was tracking into the sun. This caused glare on my factory diver shield and I did not see one of my team mates under me at his pull time. I slammed into an inflating canopy. Trust me on this a canopy is like a brick wall. I managed to pull and land uneventfully, but my jumpsuit was ripped up and I had my entire right side turn blue and purple by the next morning. I got very lucky.

jumpervali

So far a burn mark on my leg from legstraps.And right now cracked ribs from a hard opening on my last jump.Grounded for a while because it hurts to move,but can't wait to heal up so I can get back in the air.It's hard to resist when you go to the DZ and sit there all day watcing everybody else have fun.

Outside of the typical brusies from exits, docks, funnels and landings....

During student program I downwinded the landing with no flare to seperate my left knee and massive soft tissue damage to the other (my only skydiving hospital trip).....broken rib from bad opening on a Sabre 230.....and whiplash from a helmet to helmet collision when someone hit my burble.

Sprained an ankle on a student jump under my old 28 ft surplus tie dyed canopy.

Also bashed a shoulder pretty hard landing a round reserve on a very windy day in a flooded field. Must have hit my head on a rock too, never did see what was under the water, but it split my hockey helmet in two. My head was just fine & I found the two halves, still joined at the chin strap - made a helmet believer out of me (this was at the time those useless leather hats were coming into style). Anyway, the shoulder hurt quite a bit. Never did see a doctor about it, but the following day happened to meet a faith healer. Had never seen the guy before in my life and the first thing he did was put his hand on the shoulder and say that I was in a lot of pain there. He prayed over my shoulder and I could feel something come right through his hand. By the next morning my shoulder was fine. I'm not very religious, but I gotta admit it happened just like that.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

1)3 HARD OPENINGS: messed up my back to the point of needed to stretch out ALOT before doing much of anything for about a week afterwards.
2)TWO LANDING INJURIES: One time flared to high and came down pretty hard- nothing serious though, and another time came in on landing with wind and dragged my foot under twisting it backward- But then again only sore for a few weeks...

Nothing too serious for me. With more experience might happen only infrequently...

Starting at the top and working down:
Concussion
left eye frozen/scratched with ice HALO
broke both collar bones
face gouged falling through tree
Broken back
cracked left wrist 2
smashed right wrist 1
broke left ankle
broke left foot 5 bones
massive bruising/front center to back center on right side/including right arm
Bill Cole D-41

I think that I would take up bowling. Either that or get a square.

How do ya like it Johnny?

Some us can,t afford insurance.Have to use that thing between your ears and listen to that little voice that says,"be sure you can handle this".Don,t make big changes(large canopy to extremely small),follow the "logical" progression.Watch the wind,(I call it listening to the wind)watch the clouds,(I call it watching the clouds)(lol)for thunder heads.THINK MUCH!

20 years ago. Shattered ankle, fib and tib. 8 nails, 2 plates, 12 screws. But I was lucky - low reserve pull with a round reserve. Fully deployed at treetop height, one swing to the left and "bang". B|
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Just 2 & don't want any more.

Compressed T5 - From a Sabre SNAP! >:( no biggie tho, jumped next morning & for 4 weekends after that before getting it checked out
Left compound tib/fib (sort of). I made a low - flaaaat - turn to final & had a brain cramp, letting out my toggles. Came in too fast, stabbed it & stepped right into a divot. Left tib dislocated thru the inside of my foot & fib crunched into many little pieces :$

Its been 2 months & 4 surgeries to put things back together w/lots of plates & screws. I'm still sitting around on my A** watching a great skydiving summer go by without me jumping WAAHHHH!!!;) Learned a lesson? - you bet.

Can't wait to get back to altitude & out the door...

Blue Ones!

stylinmike

stylinmike

(>O]-<