skygod7777

why would you do this??

ok, i wasn't too sure if i should post this in gear, or here, and i decided here would be better.

but, my question is, for those of you that have a smaller reserve than your main, i just want to know why??

i personally don't see any reason for it. it always made sense to me to have a larger reserve than you main, i mean it is you last chance.

so, for those who have this, why??

thanks

I know someone with a 150 main and a 128 reserve. this person wasn't even confident enough to land the 150, and was dreading having to use the 128 at any point.

I got a 210 reserve and a 170 main, makes sense that if I have to chop low and land an unfamiliar canopy, I want a big canopy over my head

I've got a 170 main and a 150 reserve and have landed my reserve safely already. I slid in the landing - not due to the size of the reserve but due to the fact that my legs became jello after I was under my reserve, and it completely hit me that I'd just had a cut-a-way. :D

I chose the 150 reserve for a couple of reasons. The first one being that almost everyone I talked to at the time had a smaller reserve than their main, and the second one was that I knew that I'd be downsizing my main to a 150 within a year or so.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Because (1) I demoed the heck out of the same size and type reserve canopy in advance and know I can put it where it needs to go when I'm conscious 10/10 times in the conditions in which I'm willing to jump, and (2) my main glides and surfs farther with the additional square footage. These are attributes that are important to me.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

I don't think that counts, as I've got the same setup (150main/PD143 reserve).

My rigger recommended it, as it actually measures a bit larger than my main.

I have had the good fortune of putting a few jumps on the 143, and I'm quite comfortable with it.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Because putting two 280's in student rigs woudn't have them coming back very often.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with a 190 main and 170 reserve, because if I was under a reserve I would make damn sure I didn't do anything stupid under that canopy.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I jump a PD143R currently at an exit weight of 210 pounds, and I'm currently downsizing to a PD126R. The main reason is because of the sizing that I want to achieve on my container. Also, I have no doubts about my ability to land that canopy at anything but the highest elevations. I've landed much smaller reserves with no problem. It's all about risk management. I'm comfortable that I'm not exponentially increasing my risk because of the type of jumping I do, and the amount of experience that I have. I see no reason to carry extra weight and bulk into the air on every jump for the rare occaisions that I use the reserve. YMMV of course.

I don't see myself ever downsizing my reserve. I don't have any "goals" for the sizing of my container. Mirage makes some very sweet G3's that'll carry my reserve paired with teeny tiny mains. My M2 looks just as good as any container I've seen (in my opinion - better).

After the on-runway landing recently in DeLand, we should all consider the possibility we may land under our reserve unconscious or otherwise unable to control the descent of our reserve.

It would suck to have my Cypress save me, only to be maimed or killed by an undersized reserve.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

>Because putting two 280's in student rigs woudn't have them coming back very often.

We put Mantas (280ish sq ft) and either a Raven III (253 sq ft) or Raven IV (282 sq ft) in our student rigs - people still seem to come back.

>I wouldn't have too much of a problem with a 190 main and 170
> reserve, because if I was under a reserve I would make damn sure I
> didn't do anything stupid under that canopy.

Problem isn't that you won't take care. The problem is that if you cut away at 1600 feet you may not make it to a place you can land with care. Or, worse yet, if you have a cypres fire, you may have to land that reserve unconscious or partially conscious - and it's hard to be a good canopy pilot under those conditions.

"The first one being that almost everyone I talked to at the time had a smaller reserve than their main"

Are you kidding me? Would everyone agree that this goes against averages in tdodays crowd of skydivers in a large way?

Perhaps I am just out of the loop and all (meant in all seriousness).

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I'm the exact opposite. My reserve is about 50 sq ft larger than my main and I'd like to think that I may be able to land the reserve while disabled and/or unconcious and not be killed or severly injured. But then again, I've only seen my reserve during my repack cycles and have no idea how it flies. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It would suck to have my Cypress save me, only to be maimed or killed by an undersized reserve.

Earned confidence in a well-thought reserve choice should be your goal. Be mindful the "unconscious reserve deployment" scenario is highly unlikely to materialize. Even if it does occur, there's nothing that says your Goliath main canopy won't fly you into that dam on the river or onto the power grid. Parachuting is an inherently dangerous activity; you pays your money . . . .

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

When I was putting together my new gear I wanted a reserve that would fit into my voodoo that was bigger than my main and found that it was somewhat difficult to do with current reserves. Anything that was bigger than my main that I found had pack volumes that were larger than what was available.

I ended up going with a Swift Plus to get the bigger square footage. My other choice was a Tempo. You will note that both of these aren't made anymore.

I think most people get smaller reserves for several reasons. 1) being that most people around them have set-ups like that and 2) They want the very smallest containers possible.

I do admit I would love to have the smallest container possible. Why? because I think it is damned cool to have a container that is smaller than your back. However I also know that I can't be cool if I am a smear on the tarmac at some airport and so I will trade-off some coolness points for some self-preservation points and have a larger pack with a larger reserve.

S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Keep in mind that at the time I bought my rig, parachutes, etc., I hadn't yet found DZ.com so my experience was limited to those at my DZ, and that is what I had discovered when I was talking to people. I'm not saying everyone at my DZ has smaller reserves than their main, just the ones that I talked to.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I know this will probably get me killed someday, but, I just don't ever think I will need my reserve due to a shitty pack job. I fly a sabre 135 and have packed it in many a state of mind over the years (mostly sober, lol)... My point is, I trust my packing, and no one ever does it for me except for maybe two - three jumpers I've met over the years that I really trust. The instances I need my reserve are instances where the extra square footage can only help. My one and only reserve ride occured because my right arm decided to forget about the shoulder socket and I had to land my reserve in some major pain with one arm, and I landed it in the backyard of where you jump Kelly. I don't think I could've done that with a PD120R. The only other thing I fear will ever get me under a reserve is being knocked unconscious and a cypress save. I don't want to be under a canopy smaller than my main if I'm not awake to control it. As Cajones said "It would suck to have my Cypress save me, only to be maimed or killed by an undersized reserve." I guess my point is, reserve rides are never expected and usually happen at the wrong time in the wrong place with very few outs. Forget about the rig that looks great and has a small ass reserve, get one that looks GOOD and has a decent reserve until you have a few years in the sport.

"The first one being that almost everyone I talked to at the time had a smaller reserve than their main"
Are you kidding me? Would everyone agree that this goes against averages in todays crowd of skydivers in a large way?
---------------------------

The Lady said 'at the time' which was also the case when I got my first gear.....
Although nowadays thoughts on this have changed, like you say.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Gotcha, again, no burn intended by any means. I am not the most current jumper in the world and was wondering if people have other thought lines on this. I just always learned that it was a better idea to have a bigger reserve and only want to see Kelly be save and land okay....

BLUE skies...

"I just don't ever think I will need my reserve due to a shitty pack job.........................
The only other thing I fear will ever get me under a reserve is being knocked unconscious and a cypress save."
I'm not having a go at you Freaky, but there are other things to think about....

I'd consider structural failure of the main itself, or brake or suspension lines. Its happened to me.
Death spiral due to twists, especially if you are prone to dislocations (dropped shoulder).
A buried hackey or hard pull, again think about your dislocation issues. I saw a buried hackey on a world record attempt so it can happen to anyone.
Premature deployment of reserve.
Low aircraft emergency.
Canopy collision and/or wrap.
And some others that peeps will no doubt add.

edit my ressie is bigger than my main.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

After watcing a friend land his reserve unconcious, I changed my mind on going with two pd 106r's I currently own a 126 and a 113, and If I can find a 126 in return for the 113 I might trade it. I landed a 106R nicely and it is a great flying parachute, but unconcious might be a difft story.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

111 MAIN 126 PD RESERVE (i THINK IT ACTUALLY MEASURES TO BE ABOUT 134) AHH WELL... i WOULD RATHER BE UNDER A LARGER RESERVE ESPECIALLY IF UNCONSIOUS. AND i THINK MY TJNK LOOKS JUST AS GOOD AS AN NJ OR SMALLER... (SORRY BOUT THE CAPS IM AT WORK AND I AM TOO LAZY TO UN-CAP MY KEYBOARD:)
-YOSHI