Keith

Do you pack your own rig?

I ask because I frequently hear people telling other people "oh, just pack your own rig a few times to save money." It never occurs to me to have someone else pack my rig, and there are few people I would allow to pack it anyway. Do you or don't you pack your own rig and why?
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I used to when I was renting gear before I got my own. Then I bought brand new slippery ZP fabric and was struggling and got frustrated, so gave it to the packers. Now, I'm spoiled. Need to get back to packing my own but I'm such a freakin' procrastinator.

I almost always pack my own rig when I'm jumping for myself.

If I'm jumping camera for a team or event, I almost always have my rig packed for me, because it saves me time I usually can put to better use -- sometimes just to save the energy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i'm sure we've done this before, but..

not if i can avoid it i dont. At Eloy its because i'm usually trying to make as many jumps as i can and amy packs MUCH faster than i do (and her openings are sweeter)

up here at Kapowsin its more a matter of laziness, since there is usually time between otters, but paying for pack jobs helps support other jumpers with less lucrative slave collars..errr ..ah.. jobs..

Considering that in 1980 there were no such things as professional packers, always. I want to see it and I want to pack it. Of course I pack the reserve too.;)

As for fast, if I don't stop it takes between 5 and 10 minutes and no waiting.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I pack my rig most of the time. Towards the end of a day with a bunch of jumps I may ask a packer to do it. In this case, I am famliar with and trust the packers.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I've packed all my own, save for when I was on student status, and hadn't learned yet. I couldn't wait to start packing my own. So, ever since jump # 20, all but 2 have been my own pack jobs. One my daughter did, and the other was when I was being turned on to the psycho-pack. Now I always go Psycho, and I can pack faster than ever, with sweet openings.

Easy Does It

I usually pack my own, when I don't it is done by someone I know and trust... Reasons that I might not pack my own... team back to backs, big ways on a short turn around, back to back student videos, yada yada yada...

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'm very new, and would like to pack for others one day, so the idea is I always pack and that way I get experience. I've had friends watch me pack their rigs to get tips and have them tell me what I am doing wrong, right, etc.

However this weekend on the last jump I said screw it, I was tired, I know I'm supposed to be learning, but screw it. I'd found $20 in my pocket, paid the packer, and curled up in shame in the back room and read Skydiving while he packed it- hoping no one would notice.

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

I used to always pack for myself. My worst openings were at Quincy when I used a packer.

but after a long layoff from the sport, the part that's coming back the slowest is the packing. I'm in real danger of becoming a non-self-packer....

I admit it. I am lazy. I hate packing. I pack for myself once or twice a month just so I will remember how. Every time I go to the DZ I plan to pack for myself, then the laziness kicks in.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

I like the openings I get from my own pack jobs best; also, I'm a cheapskate. So packers are for when I have to go back-to-back (not often), or when I just HAVE to jump and I'm really tired or really sick, like occasionally at boogies (and the later in the boogie it is, the more likely I am to pay for pack jobs).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh, Keith. You know I never pack myself. Especially when I had the 170, it was just too much of a bear for little ol me to get all the lines straight and then into the bag. I was packing Trina's 135 pretty regularly (into my 170 bag - heh).

I figure I've only packed a handful of times, but packers have done thousands! They're way better than I could be at it. I don't see any moral issue with having a packer pack my rig. I don't believe one of our family would pack an intentional malfunction...

LA*

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Well, at our dropzone, we don't have any packers, so I pack my own. When I go to boogies, I pack my own as well (just a habit!) I see packing as part of the jump, it gives me the chance to talk to other people at the same time.

NM 156

I don't pack mine yet because...I'm still learning how to pack :|, but once I learn and get good at it, I'm planning in doing it ALL THE TIME, I believe packing is part of being a skydiver, and I want to be so good at it that I can do it using only my elbows. B|