steve1

Anyone else like night jumps?

I made my first night jump in about 30 years the other night. Yes, I was out of the sport for way too long. We used to make them fairly often in the old days under round canopies, but I totally forgot how cool they are to make. We waited till almost midnight for the moon to come out, but it was still quite dark with the cloud cover. The climb to altitude was different. The valley was filled with lights, houses, highways, power lines, water, (you know the usual hazards that are invisible at night). The moonlight luminated the mountains in the distance. The pilot used a flashlight (with a red lense) to check his guages on the 206. All of us had glow sticks to light up our altimiters. Everyone was a little nervous and hoped for a good spot. The first two left and we circled for another pass. About then I realized that although the adrenaline was pumping, I really enjoy this shit. It kind of reminded me of my army jumps. In freefall we turned several points and then turned to face the moon. I opened at four and the other guy went down to three. Fortunately we had a good spot and I did a nice standup in front of the clubhouse. A gal rushed out and gave me a beer, there were lot's of high fives, and Yahoos. Everyone lived and I can't wait to do it again! I know some folks don't like night jumps, but hey, what a great change of pace! There's nothing like doing RW in the moonlight!......Steve1

I don't dislike them, I just don't get real excited about them.

I think it really has to do with them being at the end of a jump day and me wanting to really drink beer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I always think that I don't care about em. But every time I'm at a DZ and night dives are occuring, I manifest for the load. I'm always glad I did.

Thanks for the Story Steve. Congrats on the first night jump.

-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I love night jumps, but I must admit that the thought of doing one on my Safire is daunting. I think I'd go back to the great big skytruck, so I can just flare when I'm in the general vicinity of the ground, rather than having to have accurate depth perception.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Love the night jump. Of course, doing them in the summer is tough because the sun is up for so long. Then, in the winter, it is just a little cold. Got to get a group together, along with a pilot, and do them early (0500) in the morning. Full moon, lots to see.
Airborne
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

:)I made a night jump this past sat. night from the Otter.....On Sunday I celebrated my 50th birthday:SB|:o:)....... wow.....
So I decided that I would "close out" the decade of my forties,,,,,, with a night 5 way.....and I am SO glad that I did..... It was my 17th Night jump....... and like you,, steve1,,, I have maybe 5 of them under rounds...... We did a night 9 way in '79 out of 2 cessnas in formation at 10.500.... we were built by 7 grand and back in those days,,,it was not uncommon to "hum one" down to 3 grand or so.....
( pre dytter boys and girls) and THAT 9 way was the most electric jump I have ever enjoyed.... I have 4 or 5 solos, a few 2 ways,, a bunch of 4 ways, and am looking forward to a Big "big way" from the Otter one of these upcoming summer nights...... We always prepare very diligently for the dive, our briefing is serious and detailed, the experience level of each participant is factored in,,, and often our tandem masters will take a manifest staff person or an intermediate level jumper on a tandem for their first nite jump experience................We also have a grass strip and no hard wired lights,, so we set out smudge pots and temp lights on the landing area....
We also toss some jetA onto the wood which is stacked up on the firepit,, and someone lights it up when the pilot radios,,,,, 2 minutes to exit.....
My take " do 'em if you Can......." but do 'em safely.;)

Jimmytavino,
I've never done RW with more than four people at night. In the old days we wanted to get our night SCR. So we rented a twin beach from the smokejumpers in Missoula. The only problem was that there was almost no moon or stars out due to the clouds that night. I mean it was blacker than black out. We were all geared up and were ready to go, when finally one of the more experienced jumpers had sense enough to call the whole thing off. I'd still like to have that night SCR patch though. Nobody wears patchs much anymore, but I'd still like to have it. My daughter said she'd loan me some of her girl scout patches to go next to the one I have on my jumpsuit, that says Skydive Arizona.....I lost my SCR and SCS patch about 30 years ago. But come to think of it eight-ways don't count for much now days anyhow.....Oh and congratulations on turning 50. I've got three years on you......Steve1

:)for a time when all the conditions are right...
Sometimes when we wait for something,,, it makes it all the more pleasurable..:o;)....
As for your night 8 way.....it will happen. and when it does,, the grins will be huge....so enjoy ......
jimmytavino A 3914 D 12122
SCR 6190 SCS 4876 Night SCR 1817

I was lucky enough to jump at a turbine DZ in the 70's and early 80's, so we did the decent-sized (I don't think we got 20, but 12-15 definitely) night loads. What Jimmy said about all the extra care is dead on, and one of the best parts of the fun and intensity of night jumps.

Deciding how we were going to wear the light-sticks, who had the best strobe for under canopy, how to light up the hoop for hoop jumps, all that stuff. Who's base-pin (most stuff was free-flown) and how they're going to be lit up differently. Dirt-diving, all the somewhat nervous, somewhat excited conversation in the plane on the way up. How they're going to do pictures so they don't blind us with the flash.

Took one too low; we were trying for a night girl hoop jump (nothing like going for the top :S, and I think I was the first to break; I'm sure it was below 3000, and it might have been below that. Really really stupid, and we didn't try again.

I think I need to do a night jump.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd still like to have that night SCR patch though. Nobody wears patchs much anymore, but I'd still like to have it. My daughter said she'd loan me some of her girl scout patches to go next to the one I have on my jumpsuit, that says Skydive Arizona.....I lost my SCR and SCS patch about 30 years ago. But come to think of it eight-ways don't count for much now days anyhow....

Hey Steve,

I also lost a lot of my old stuff long ago. but this might help.
http://www.scr-awards.com/

Bill Newell is still runing the SCR thing you can get new patches and stuff from him.. He found my old stuff from 1976 and was extremely helpfull.

Amazon

I love them too steve! I have about 10 in my logs the last one was a 9-way "howl at the moon" jump. One of the more memorable ones was jumping into Biloxi beach a few miles from Keesler A.F.B. and it had something to do with the pilot telling us to be on the lookout for 2 C-130's landing at Kessler:o I wasted the whole jump looking for those dudes lol. To this day i don't know if he was kidding or not!
Philip D-21881

"HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?"

they are the best. did my first night jumps at kapowsin in washington. a rare clear night, with mt. ranier (14,000 ice covered mountian) only 40 miles away, and a full moon...can you say...cooooooool?!?! then did some in salt lake city...flew over the sky resorts with snow....just way to cool.

Oh Yeah. Night jumps are great. So far just night CrW and night RW. No freefly.... yet

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I actually want to do them again so I can enjoy them more.....First one was a "get aquainted with the night" kinda thing for me where all I did was one front flip and then just held neutral...

Second one was RW and wanted desperately to get at least 3 points and just hang on.

Next time I want to really have some fun in the air now that I know what to expect. My biggest fear with all of it ......just wanted to make sure I knew where the landing area was before I jumped. Nothing else really got me too worked up...but the gang at Deland were also a huge reason for that. GREAT PEOPLE watching out for everyone!!!!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...