LittleSkyWitch

Oh, that superstitions! Oh that myths!

In non-skydiving life we have a lot of superstitions and believes. Such as black cat crossing the road.

The most popular skydiving superstitions in my country are:
1. to "help" the plane while taking off by rising hands "in chorus";
2. to change the word "last" with "forelast" or "prelast"
3. not to shave before jumps - you can cut the luck;
4. prignent women-riggers cannot pack the canopy (men's belief);
5. BSBD
6. to selebrate a jubilee jump;
7. to drink 100 gram of cognac before jumping day to improve the forecast and drive away clouds
8. etc....

I'm sure everyone has something to share. Thus, we can complete a booklet of skydiving folklore B|
__*______________________________
Little SkyWitch
http://www.skydiveua.info
______________________________*__

9. Stay up drinking beer until at least 4am - gurantees blue skies and nil winds in the morning. (Also gurantees sore heads, but that's another matter...)

10. On a bad weather day, it only takes one person to give up and go to the pub (sacrifice themselves to the weather gods!) and the weather is guaranteed to improve for everyone else!

;) :P

Vicki

For a similar reason I've never understood the skydivers that wanted to identify with the Winnie the Pooh character of "Tigger".

I've seen them wearing freefly suits and tattoos, but it never made any sense to me, because, um, Tigger's don't jump -- they bounce.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Here in Greece we banish bad eye (negative energy coming from jealousy etc). You either say a special pray or you ask from someone that knows how to remove it to do so.

Personally, I believe that bad energy can be transfered for person to person.

Never seen green hamsters whilie in freefall...
at our DZ, the ONE superstition is
If you fart inside the plane, the plane will go down and no-one will jump !!!
Yeahhh our pilot doesn't like having his Porter smelling like public toilets...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I haven't been in the sport quite a year yet, but I have run across some superstitions.

1) I was told that if you sign the last entry in a log book the jumper will at least make it through that one.

2) If you really want to jump and the clouds are low ... Sacrifice your self for your friends and drink a beer...It's almost guaranteed to bring out the sun. Besides, if it doesn't you are already ahead of everyone else.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

1) I was told that if you sign the last entry in a log book the jumper will at least make it through that one.

someone just did this for me this last weekend i wondered why, but figured oh well...:)
another one i thought of..more of a tradition than a superstition...

"leave it in the door"

if youve gotten in some silly argument with your mates..leave it in the door when you exit, enjoy the dive and land fast friends again...

I´d love to see green hamsters in freefall, or at least that saber-toothed funny squirrel named Scrat.
At an argentine DZ, last week´s punishment for farting in the plane was an intentional miss spotting -10 miles off - nice pilot revenge, don´t you think ?
---------------
Alex / FLY4FUN Team - Curious? ready, set, CLICK!

If you chop then don't make any comment about the need for others to chop. Here's the situation, I chopped on the first load, then while we were watching the last come in I said, "Hmm, I think someone else needs to have a cutaway." The result was one cutaway and two jumpers in the trees.

Also, don't comment on how nice the weather for the weekend is looking.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher