Muenkel

What would you do?

I made my last AFF jump on June 28th. Been grounded due to severe inner ear problems and vertigo. I've been seeing a chiropractor and just 2 days ago the ears cleared. Each day they get better. Only very slight congestion...extremely minor.

I have 3 more levels left on Aff. Should I go out this Sunday and try to finish up, or should I wait another weekend? Like I said, the congestion that is left is so minor. My concern is the time that has lapsed since my last jump and since I did my tunnel training.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Chris

Whats more important, letting your ears fully heal or having the possibility of needing to take an extra jump to get back in the groove?

I'd say wait, but that's just me, and I know what its like on student status, trying to get those jumps in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As long as your inner ear problems aren't a problem for you in the air, then the sooner you get back on the horse the better you'll be. But you know your body better than the rest of us. For what it's worth, I have been known to skydive with minor injuries. But I've yet to have (knock on wood) ear problems like yours.

Good luck ... and I'd say keep us posted (as I'm sure you will) except that in a few hours I'm dropping out of sight and heading to Rantoul where the last thing I will think about is computers. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

tell the staff exactly what your concerns are, and if they want you to repeat a level, shell out the money.

I lapsed my currency before my last jump by a few days. I had some refresher training and repeated a level 7. Trust me, it helped. I had some initial problems with stability until it sank in with advice fo instructor.

Let the DZ staff decide this. It's for your safety.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I went the medical route first to no avail. Two runs of antibiotics, various decongestants and nasal sprays. And all they could say was "you'll just have to wait it out." The chiropractor who specializes in cranial work cleared my ears in 4 adjustments.

As for the the time that has lapsed, I'm not concerned about the money. I'm more concerned about remembering what I have already learned.

Chris

I would jump. After the first one, evaluate, and decide if you can keep going.

You every have a sinus squeeze?
I have had one...They suck ass. I had a teammate at the Nationals come down CRYING and he stopped jumping.

While in AFF, I would not do anything that was not "right".

Way to much going on for him to think about anything else, and he (no offense) does not have enough experience to be able to handle wierd shit like this in freefall yet.

You at 200 jumps would probley be fine, but he may not be.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm with jessica on this one, just try a jump and see how it goes? Good luck, buddy. :)
edit - just make sure you tell your JMs, see what they have to say!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Do what's right, trust your own judgement. Just don't feel like you're under any time constraints. If you feel up to a jump today, then fine. If you need to wait another month, that's OK too. You will get back up in the air, just do it right.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

What works for me when I'm congested is this little test...

Plug your nose with your fingers and blow. A few things should happen:
1. your sinuses should fill up with air and you should feel pressure - NO PAIN.
2. Hold it for a couple seconds, still NO PAIN.
3. Release and your ears should de-compress almost immediately with NO PAIN.
If your ears did not fully decompress (like right one still feels clogged) then its a NO GO. If they both stay clogged - it's a NO GO. They both should be clear and you should have NO PAIN and quick decompression.

Repeat once or twice.

If after that, it all feels good - then GO JUMP!!
Othewise, I'd wait.

Again, just my .02 and it's what I do when I feel congested or sick/flu.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I think if your in any doubt AT ALL then dont jump. If you feel better waiting a week, wait a week. If your ear hasnt cleared properly you may have to wait 2 months again if it gets dameaged.

Its up to you tho. Check with your instructors too.

Edit: When I was doing my AFF i used to get pissed off with the CCI for not letting me jump cos of winds so I know how annoying not being able to jump is but whats 1 week?? Maybe if the CCI had let me jump then I may of caused an injured and had to wait even longer. Dont rush things. Be Safe

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Only jump when the congestion has cleared up....

Today, one of my instructors (Air Force) took an altitude chamber flight, knowing full well he had some mild congestion. He experienced a massive frontal sinus block @ 3000 feet while on descent. Lucky he was in a chamber, we're able to level off. So we sprayed him out with Afrin (took 5 minutes to take effect), then slowly @ about 500 feet per minute came to the ground.... Flight Doc grounded him for two weeks....

For what this is worth, I'm having the same type of problem that you are. I'm on my third run of antibiotics. I've taken all of the allergy pills, and nasal sprays. In late June, I went jumping and was just a little bit clogged up, my ears that is. AFter one jump, they got worse. Well, at least that kept me current. Now 6 weeks later, my ears are still plugged up. NOt alot of pain, but my hearing goes bad when they get plugged, and the pressure builds up also. Now i'm 2 weeks before I have to jump again to keep current, and I don't think that I am going to this time. It did make it worse the last time. I've been on vacation for 6 weeks now, and have 4 more, and i was going to try to jump 20 or so times a week this summer. Well, so much for that. Maybe i will go see a chiropractor!!! But be careful jumping!!!

As a most wise man once said,

" would you rather be down here wishing you were up there? or
Up there wishing you were down here?"

Its the individuals choice , for how they feel , ( illness, hangover. etc) or if the weather looks dodgy, but still jumpable? etc.

I enjoy this sport, and I can enjoy sitting in the bar watching others, Cos if I don't feel right, then whats the point of me going up, I wont be having fun,
But thats me,

Your choice man , but if it gets messy I want you to post some pictures on here;)
Fly like an aardvark

Actually a buddy of mine who has close to 3000 jumps, told me last year when I had an injury and wanted to start AFF "in skydiving, when you absolutely feel 100%, wait atleast another week".

I think very wise advice.

Thanks,
Chris

I had ear problems, too... seems like it takes several days for mine to clear up. Last weekend I thought they were better on Thurs, but then on Fri they seemed a little clogged again. I took sinus meds and jumped 3 times on Saturday... then 3 times on Sunday (ears still a little clogged from Sat). I got a little blood from my nose on Saturday, but nothing much. My ears are feeling ok now. I'm hoping that the effects will lessen the more I jump. Seemed like the first times were the worst.

Good luck. If you just got of anti-biotics, and are unsure, then you're probably best going with your plan and waiting another week.

Angela.