sasteam

Requirements for Skydiving: I don't think I have what it takes!

It seems to me that I may never have what it takes to be a true skydiver. :(

From what I can see, becoming a true skydiver requires a number of attributes, many of which are, possibly, beyond my reach or are things with which I'm simply not comfortable. For example (in no particular order), many of the true skydivers that I see

- have and display one or more tattoos
- smoke and often require at least one cigarrette between loads
- have body piercings (ears don't count anymore)
- can drink heavily in the evening and be on the first load the next morning
- are ectomorphic or, at least, fall on the ectomorphic side of mesomorphism
- have some kind of attitude (doesn't really matter what kind
- come across as a bit touched (and by touched, I mean crazy)
- live a relatively non-materialistic lifestyle (money isn't good for much except jumps and beer!)
- live in the present (can't really execute emergency procedures if you're daydreaming about the future, now, can you?)
- live from jump to jump (always thinking about that next fix)
- consider themselves good looking (the guys) and have skydiving SOs (the gals) that are good looking
- seem to actually live (!) at the drop zone
- can easily pack in 10 minutes or less (mostly, it appears, because their canopy is about the size of a trashbag)
- have a seemingly unending source of money (maybe something illegal going on here, like in that documentary CUTAWAY about that cop... what's his name... Stephen Baldwin or something)
- (some) inexplicably live nomadic lifestyles (how high do you have to exit to actually reach the next DZ?)

Now, I don't have any tattoos and no one at the DZ seemed particularly impressed with the lick'em and stick'em type. I quit smoking something like 13 years ago before basic training and I haven't had much of a desire to start back up. I do wear an earring but haven't really wanted to pierce anything else. Well, I don't really want to exhaust the list of my deficiencies... I think you get the idea.

So, what's an aspiring skydiver to do? :P

Hey dont feel bad ..I'm one ofthe VERY FEW if any jumpers at my DZ thats married with kids and a mortgage!! But the cool thing is all the people that you described that I jump with think its pretty cool when I bring the kids out....and some even say they look forward to someday having a few "brats" running around themselves ..So its all good!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Check!

Check! (sigh.)

Not yet...:$

2 beers and it's nap time. And don't even think about waking me up before the crack o' noon.

Nope. Fat bastard here.

If the golden rule is an attitude, I'll take it.

Why would anyone want to be normal?

- live a relatively non-materialistic lifestyle (money isn't good for much except jumps and beer!)
Well, I guess I need to get rid of my motorcycle and my kick ass home theater. Actually, I've never really been that materialistic.

- live in the present (can't really execute emergency procedures if you're daydreaming about the future, now, can you?)
Damn my investments and my 401k

Check!

- consider themselves good looking (the guys) and have skydiving SOs (the gals) that are good looking
I am a troll. Children pelt me with stones before they run away screaming in fear.

Does 45 minutes away count?

- can easily pack in 10 minutes or less (mostly, it appears, because their canopy is about the size of a trashbag)
I can pack my Stiletto 190 (yes, a 190) in about 8 minutes

- have a seemingly unending source of money (maybe something illegal going on here, like in that documentary CUTAWAY about that cop... what's his name... Stephen Baldwin or something)
Nope, I just have a really good job. But I still had to scrimp so I could order my BirdMan suit this week.

- (some) inexplicably live nomadic lifestyles (how high do you have to exit to actually reach the next DZ?)
It's all about spreading the love.B|

Be yoursef. And may the devil take the hindmost.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>- can easily pack in 10 minutes or less (mostly, it appears, because their canopy is about the size of a trashbag)
I can pack my Stiletto 190 (yes, a 190) in about 8 minutes

Kris you take too long, I could do it in 5. :ph34r:

No tat's on me yet... I'm almost normal :o
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

just made the cut! I got 2!!!

- smoke and often require at least one cigarrette
no way, jose.

- have body piercings
only ears, but ear cartilage...
NEW EVENT! At the ZHills Lovefest we will have "Kris Piercing." For a cash donation to my jump fund, one can pierce kris.

Load 1 is for wind drift indicators. Load 2 is a safer bet.

i've been blessed with the crappiest metabolism in the galaxy

i have the attitude of a boozehag

I've worked with professional lunatics. I consider myself well trained.

i have no money after jumps and beer. my tent is larger than my apartment.

I'm a chick, but i've got a nice looking skydiving SO.:$

Kahn can pack my chute in less than 10 minutes while i attend to important things like lunch and painting my toenails.

__

Quit whining!

I'm sure Bubba's Tattoo'n'Piercin' Parlor is running a twofer -- I think that's ever other week they do that.

You can smoke pot instead of cigarettes; just use cigarette rollers and no one will be the wiser. Plus you'll get the cool buzz

I drink water heavily -- does that count? You can too if you try hard enough

If you're not an ectomorph, there's always liposuction. That'll take care of that too much savings problem while you're at it, too. And with no savings, you won't be able to be materialistic any more, and you won't be able to look too far beyond the next jump, and with all that investment I'm sure you'll be extra good-looking, and you'll be able to jump a much smaller canopy that you can pack faster. Man, that's a lot of items right there!

If you get a trailer, you can live at the DZ. And with the trailer, you won't need a pesky mortgage or anything.

Endless source of money? I haven't figured that one out yet, but hey -- I've solved all the others, you only have to work on that one! Let me know when you've got it licked, OK?

Ummm --- just so's you know, the closest any of those come to fitting me is the "touched in the head" one, and the "not too materialistic" one. And the second is only because I like to travel more than I like to own things.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

NEW EVENT! At the ZHills Lovefest we will have "Kris Piercing." For a cash donation to my jump fund, one can pierce kris.

:o *note to self...wear body armor around Stacy*

no

no

no

not really. I didn't drink 'til I started skydiving, and I only drink when I'm skydiving...

got me there...

probably...

no idea...

most probably

depends...

not really

ummm, no

no

i can pack in ~20-30

I'm a student on a scholarship, living at home. I have to spend it on something.

no
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

NONE
NO
NONE
NO, DON'T DRINK
DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
ONLY ON A BAD DAY
ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE
NOT
NOT
NOT
HUBBY AND I BOTH JUMP
NOT EVEN CLOSE
Well, my husband can - does that count?
I WISH
No, we both work regular jobs

So, what's an aspiring skydiver to do?

CHANGE DROP ZONES:P

Rhonda
PP ASEL

you can wear body armor. we're already supplying you with a viking hat.

A FREE VIKING HAT?! WooHoo! That's gonna be AWESOME!

ummm...waittasec....

What am I going to do with a hat with a picture of DZ.com's own Arthur on it?[:/]:D

nope

only smoke occassionally

ok, i've got my belly pierced:)

first load, eeek!@

Don't we ALL have attitude, tho? Not just skydivers... I know I had one b4 I started skydiving.

Ok, you got me. :S

IS there anything else ?

I think about the future, i'm in school, anyhow.

You'll get there. . . quickly:)

I'm a chick... and a single one at that.

nope, 1.5hrs. Sometimes I drive 3.5hrs to go to others.

I just started, so packing isn't really my best talent. I can unpack really fast, tho:) haha.

HA! I wish! It's gonna catch up with me realll soon.

Man, that would be cool!

Dude, if you want to skydive, do it, stop making excuses. The people i've met in skydiving have been, for the most part, pretty accepting people. I don't think you're required to have tatoos or smoke, you just have to jump out of planes. :)
Angela

That is the only qualification you really need. The rest just help. You left out the rare but random urge to get naked in front of the whole dropzone

Doesn't this usually involve alcohol in one form or another?
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Nope. Not yet anyway. Haven't been able to afford the one I want.

Well, yeah. Gotta have something to do while my parachute is being packed.

Had to take my eyebrow piercing out back in 1997. Too many guys were talking to my eyebrow instead of my breasts.

Not anymore. Depending on how late in the evening I'm drinking heavily of course.

I'll consider that a compliment.

I do not have an attitude!!! Say that again and I'll kick your ass!!

I'm not crazy. A bit wierd yes. But not crazy.

Someday I hope to own a vehicle that is worth more than my rig. Doesn't that make me materialistic?

Instant gratification is a good thing. Only boring domestic type people plan for the future.

For the first few years I was jumping, yeah. Now it's like, should I jump or should I spend that money on beer and cigarettes?

You must be from California.

Yeah? So???

Real skydivers pay packers.

No comment.

Dude, there's like so many cool places to jump and so many cool people to jump with. Not gonna meet 'em all if you don't get outta Podunk.

So, what's an aspiring skydiver to do?

Follow the examples that have been set before you, young Jedei. It is the path to true happiness.

*I really shouldn't post after three beers*

Load 1 is for wind drift indicators. Load 2 is a safer bet.

Load 2 may be a safer bet, but I figure they've usually got things pretty well sorted out by load 15 or so. That's more my speed. ;)
-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

No tattoos, absolutely no need for one.
Don't smoke, never will.
Piercings? I'm going out of this world with the same number of holes I came in with.
Drink heavily? Alcohol is nasty. IMHO, of course. Give me a Dr. Pepper any day.
No ectomorph here. I only have two food groups. Cheeseburgers and pizzas.
Attitude?? What attitude??
Touched? Crazy? Nope. I'm as sane as anyone who is involved in a sport that used to be an emergency procedure...:ph34r:
Non materialistic lifestyle? I'd have to agree.
Live in the present. Absolutely.
Live from jump to jump. Yep.
Live at the drop zone? Nope. Live in a dorm.
Pack in 10 minutes? HAHAHAHAHAAHAH I wish. After one packjob I'm ready to call it quits for the day and go home.
Unending source of money? Trust me, my source of money most definitely has an ending.
Nomadic lifestyle? Nope. Lived in Houston for 20 years and College Station, Tx for 3 years. Probably head back to Houston when this whole school shindig is over.

Yep

Nope

Only ears...but hey...they're double pierced...does that count? :D

2 wine coolers and I'm buzzed. 4 and I'm toast.

where does hourglass figure fall, again? :S

Everyone's got attitude...just matters what kind of attitude.

Why would anyone want to be normal?

Well...piano, motorcycle, new car

Nice size IRA, savings account (not much, but hey...I got one), will have a 401K when I get another job - screwed that one up

Nope...tons of things that I do and enjoy besides jumping. As much as I love it, my life does not revolve around it.

I consider myself to be average looking.

Used to be 45 minutes away - now 1 1/2 hours away

:D No way! Packing my Silhouette 170, it takes me about 10-15 minutes.

Nope, just had a really good job and would scrimp on stuff that didn't matter. Now...time in between jumps will get a bit longer.

Have an apartment...no nomadic lifestyle here.

Damn! I keep breaking sterotypes. Ah..well...gotta love it!!! B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Got 2, only small ones tho
Nope. Never smoked and never will, less money for jumps!
Ive got piercings but stopped filling them long before jumping
Probably
Nope.
Not sure..
After a few beers, definately!
No No No. I always want things. Normally skydiving related but also DJing / Music / Technology etc."
I live in the present but think about the future all the time
True, but I try to stay in touch with my non jumping mates an equal amount of time
I AM good looking mate :P
I'm not there nearly as much as i'd like
Try 1 hour and a half! Getting quickr though!
Hell no!! Its either food or jumps!
Sounds good, but no

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------