sangiro

I would like to see a forum for....

You can select multiple forums. I receive request for new forums all the time, so I'm checking to see how the wind blows. :)
This is obviously a mix of skydiving disciplines and some other suggestions that I've heard before. feel free to chime in with other ideas as well.

My general philosophy is that I don't add forums that will simply cannibalize an already existing forum with little or no real additional value-add. I need to be convinced that it will really be used and be useful. I'm open to be persuaded though....

I will consider forums for lesser-known disciplines even if there are fever people participating in those if I believe it may actually help that discipline advance.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

There's a hell of a lot of students on here - would be great for them to have somewhere to go to exchange their views on stuf

Thats a damn good Idea!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

Wouldn't this just cannibalize the Safety and Training forum?

I dont think the only issue us students have is Safety and Training. Although this is a big part of it, I think lots of students would like to talk to other students about their experiences, how they coped with things etc

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

"so I'm checking to see how the wind blows."

Actually, Its been a while since the last 'shake-up', and now things have settled down, I think you've now got it just about right.
just my £0.0125493 worth....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Speed skydiving seems to be fairly popular in Europe but not here in the US -

The same holds true for the art of Freestyle. I didn't vote for a forum in Freestyle. There just aren't enough folks partaking. Additonally, this website is not about the U.S. it is global. I don't believe (even though I love the discipline) it would add much to the site.
Tandem, Instructors and Rigging (for riggers only) would be good additions. Just my opinion.
BB

If they hold a competition in this country I am there.... all the events this year are in Europe.. and I have NO desire to travel for a while till things calm down. Going 250MPH plus headdown ROCKS...

There is a thread in Freeflying about a go fast event in Houston... and STASO has been talking about some of the finer points.. he has been to Europe and actually won one of the events I believe.

Amazon

by 'controlled membership' in the rigger forum, would that mean that only riggers could contribute, but anyone could read? i'm not a rigger, but the info in such a forum would be quite useful for an aspiring rigger.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i voted for speed skydiving forum since it's my favorite discipline, but
i already manage speed skydiving forum at http://speedskydiving.proboards19.com/index.cgi :ph34r:

not to steal any people from here, but everybody is welcome anyway ...

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

i already manage speed skydiving forum at http://speedskydiving.proboards19.com/index.cgi

Do I fell a new greenie about to hatch??

Amazon

;)

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

A students forum would be very useful, but it would have to be watched as carefully as the Incidents forum. I know a lot of instructors hate it when students talk to each other, and having recently been a student, I remember how difficult it is to contain yourself when talking to someone else.

All in all, it's a tricky subject.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Why would only the riggers forum have restricted membership?

I think the Instructor forums would need it as well.

As it is I think the way you have it is fine.

However maybe only certain people should be allowed to post to incidents....They could post, but a greenie could approve it or delete it before it gets posted.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Personally, I think the forums are already pretty spread out, and adding additional forums would just make the problem worse (esp. for things like Students, who benefit from integrating with the other discussion on S+T).
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I am not a fan of separating students from instructors. I like the idea that they play togeather in the same space, means that the students questions will be answered quickly by people who know the answers.

I'm concerned that if students had their own place, while some instructors would lurk and answer questions, the quality of those questions would go down.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Don't know if this will fly...

But there is a thread dedicated to compiling information pertaining to hook turn injuries.
There is no discussion...just the facts.
I think the thread is beneficial and informative...

How about a forum dedicated to various threads structured along that line.

No PW bullshit, just a quantity of information in a factual format.

A single thread could cover each topic or area of interest.

i.e.
injuries...aircraft...recalled gear...FAA and USPA up dates.
How to's on various topics...

A specific channel for educational and informative interaction as opposed to social.

Any thoughts?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~