vonSanta

Ever forgotten to activate your CYPRES?

Occasionally I'll forget to turn mine on. It will most often happen with my second rig if I'm doing a back to back and didn't gear check both rigs when I first took them out. If I realize that the Cypres is not on and I'm on the plane it means that I didn't do a gear check either and I'll ask someone to check my pins and make sure everything is OK. If I'm not on the plane then I'll take the rig off and do the check myself.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Since I don't depend on my Cypres to save my ass it's no big deal to me if I forget to turn it on now and then.

I've only forgotten once in the year and a half it's been on there; remembered it in the plane as we were taking off. Was one of those kinda hurry up after work jumps - I'd done a quick gear check, just didn't open the reserve flap far enough to get the visual reminder (ie see the control unit) to remind me to turn it on.

I don't have one in my rig now. But, with student gear, i'd forgotten a couple of times. I'm kinda forgetful :S.

Angela.

WHOOOAA......... I hope you mean you forgot on a rental rig, and not while you were still a student.... If the instructor forgets this he should have his ratings yanked!

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Was about to post the same. Instructors should check all their students.

But I have only jumped without mine on once. But I went through a period (about 3/4 weeks) where I kept forgetting to turn it on and getting someone on the flight line to do it. Quite annoyed when you're fully kitted up and you gotta drop it off your back.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

LOL...........my G/F forgot hers, we were outside waiting for the cessna to taxi over and I gave her a gear check.......it wasnt on.......I read her the riot act.....heheh, in a semi joking way though *(dont wanna get cut off ya know)[:/]

If a person forgets .........it aint worth havin

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

why have an AAD if youre not going to turn it on? Forgetting is a stupid excuse. Stupidity kills.

I don't have an AAD to turn on though, maybe some of you people forgetting about them would like to donate one. :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

why have an AAD if youre not going to turn it on?

How about not thinking its a big deal to jump without one? Maybe since you have several hundred (600-700) without one? And you don't see it as a manditory part of a rig? It is easy to forget if you don't feel like you need it.

Forgetting is a stupid excuse. Stupidity kills.

Forgetting to stop the skydive yourself is even a dumber excuse.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Once. Out of a DC-3 (my first) with abour 50 jumps. Decided to hop in a freefly roup, went below 1500, had a horseshoe that baglocked. Under reserve by 700!! :$ AND I KNEW IT WASN'T ON AS I BOARDED. I thought "I'll get it for the next one." AAAH, young, dumb and full of $H!T! Someone was looking out for me!:)

why have an AAD if youre not going to turn it on? Forgetting is a stupid excuse. Stupidity kills.

I don't have an AAD to turn on though, maybe some of you people forgetting about them would like to donate one.

I have three CYPRES-equipped rigs. I also have maybe a dozen that are AAD-free (though many of those are CYPRES-ready). The two I took to the DZ yesterday were of the manual variety.

I am somewhat indifferent as to whether the rig I'm using has an AAD. If it has one, I turn it on. In any case I consider it a good idea to keep pulling handles until something landable is overhead, and to do so with sufficient altitude to have a good chance of success.

It is typically better to forget to turn it on and leave it off than to remember on the ride to altitude and turn it on then. I once remembered to turn on my CYPRES as we climbed through 3,000 feet, then thought "wait a minute!" and turned it back off again. Someone who did so but left it on had a reserve ride out of a formation, so I'm glad I rethought the matter.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Twice:
1. I was still in student status (1 or 2 jumps away from the A). My coach caught it on a gear check.
2. I went to turn it off after jumping one day before heading home and it was off. I might have turned it off earlier and forgot, but I did not get a gear check that entire day :( (other than a pin check on the plane). Now I get a gear check on almost every load but definitely on the first load of the day.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why buy an AAD, if you never use it? Just sent my CYPRES in for the 8-year check...never activated...and I think of all that "jump" money I spent to purchase and maintain it!!

Seriously though, several years back I can remember an incident where someone found themselves low on a skydive, and decided that since they already missed the hard deck, to let the AAD pull for them! I guess the door can swing both ways.

I don't have one in my rig now. But, with student gear, i'd forgotten a couple of times. I'm kinda forgetful :S.

Angela.

WHOOOAA......... I hope you mean you forgot on a rental rig, and not while you were still a student.... If the instructor forgets this he should have his ratings yanked!

Roy

Yes, it was rental gear. Sorry for the confusion. It was before I got my A license, and it was a student rig I was renting.

Angela.

[QUOTE]I am somewhat indifferent as to whether the rig I'm using has an AAD. If it has one, I turn it on. In any case I consider it a good idea to keep pulling handles until something landable is overhead, and to do so with sufficient altitude to have a good chance of success.

It is typically better to forget to turn it on and leave it off than to remember on the ride to altitude and turn it on then. I once remembered to turn on my CYPRES as we climbed through 3,000 feet, then thought "wait a minute!" and turned it back off again. Someone who did so but left it on had a reserve ride out of a formation, so I'm glad I rethought the matter.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, except that Im not indifferent toward whether or not I jump an AAD equipped rig. I would like to jump a rig with an AAD. I feel an AAD is a good tool. I happen to not jump one bc I feel my money is better spent on jump tickets, but doesnt change the fact that I still would like one in a perfect world.

Ouch about the AAD fire at 4k. That had got to be a wake up call for that guy, huh? :ph34r:

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Yes, it was rental gear. Sorry for the confusion. It was before I got my A license, and it was a student rig I was renting.

Angela.

Here in the UK, before you get your A, an instructor must do your flightline check and sign you off.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

had a horseshoe that baglocked. Under reserve by 700!! AND I KNEW IT WASN'T ON AS I BOARDED. I thought "I'll get it for the next one." AAAH, young, dumb and full of $H!T! Someone was looking out for me!

Who was looking out for you???How would an AAD have made this better?

Sounds like you did fine without an AAD.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334