SkydiveNFlorida

Did I ask you for a gear check?

I always try to assume positive intent.

Me too. Instead of going off on someone and being all pissed about it, try looking at it with another perspective. Think something like, "wow, what a great sport this is where people are always looking out for each other." So, it creeped you out that he touched your stuff. Ask him nicely not to do it again and explain your reason, and I'm sure he won't have a problem with it. But, you gotta look at the intent and the intent of most everyone here on the forums who have had issues with you on your gear choices. We all care about you. No, you didn't ask for it and you may not need it, but that's not how this sport works. People look out for each other, get used to it. We don't want any more of our friends hurt! It should make you feel good that people care about you.

It took a skydiving accident for me to change my perspective on life and the way I look at things. I try to look at everything more positively and appreciate the small things. Life is good, most people are good. It's cool when friends look at for you. It's awesome when complete strangers look out for you! Take the chip off your shoulder for a minute, look at the intent, and embrace how great skydivers are. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have no problem with ppl I know checking my gear.. whenever.. It just shows they care :)
But I do have a problem with ppl I don't know fiddling... but then again, its never happened to me.
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

Angela, fyi, I was refering to 50-100 jump jumper's attitudes. I have had a bad problem with that sort of attitude and have only recently really taken steps to fix it, BUT that sort of attitude is previlant in your average 50-100/200 jump wonder. The attitude that they know what their doing, when in reality they don't know what they're doing. This site is BAD about that with low jump number jumpers. I've been very guilty of this too, I'll be the first to admit it.

The more I learn skydiving, especially after picking up a rating, I've really realized that I barely know anything about this sport.

Whats wrong in her attitude ? The fact that she dont want anyone messing up her container without her permission ?

I think that is nothing else but wise !

The more I learn skydiving, especially after picking up a rating, I've really realized that I barely know anything about this sport.

imho, that's the point when you become a "safe" skydiver - the day you realize that for all you do know, you still don't know shit.

Regarding unasked for and unannounced gear checks... If someone I know and trust wants to give me a gear check without asking I'm okay with it but I don't like it when anyone I don't know touches my rig without saying something to me first. In either case I appreciate the intent and would thank the person for looking at my gear; in the second case I'd probably add on "but please ask next time. Want me to check yours?"

If I see a problem on someone elses rig while we're in the airplane, I'll point it out to them; if it's in a place that is inaccessible to them I'll offer to fix it (ie open riser cover, open flaps). But if what I saw could hurt me, the others in the plane or the plane itself I just might start fixing the problem before I say anything - and I hope that every jumper out there would do the same if, for example, they saw my pilot chute coming out of the pocket on jump run.

Maybe he saw you moving around a bit against the wall/sides of the plane and was concerned that your pin might have moved....
I agree...he should have asked or told you, but when someone cares about your well-being, that should be something that comforts your mind instead of getting upset.....

An extra safety check is definately not 'messing up someones container'...watching over each-other is a good thing IMHO...but I gues not everyone sees it that way...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Here is my take as someone who could absolutely scratch you from a load if you didn't let me check your gear on this dropzone: With 50 jumps and less than a year in the sport, you ought to be happy that people are looking out for your safety. These are simply people looking out for your, and their own well being. Like Eric said, there are lots of instances every year where people's shit comes open in freefall because it was not checked or allowed to be jumped as is. How many times a day do you check your reserve pin? Once when you turn your CYPRES on? At all? It's my opinion that you were probably just in a mood that day and now are clearly venting. Anyway, if the person who was checking your shit was an instructor, then you ought not fret. If it was some 50 jump chump who was known for careless tampering of rigs, then you might have cause to be alarmed.

Taking someone's caring about your safety as a personal affront makes you sound like a priss. At your experience level you are certainly not beyond "being looked after" by more experienced jumpers, no matter who your boyfriend is.

Chuck
AFF/SL/TM/BM-I, S&TA, PRO

i have a question which i dont think has been asked before (didnt read every post on the thread)

your so concerned about someone else giving you a gearcheck on the plane, but did YOU give yourself a gear check (main pin, reserve pin, main,cutaway,reserve handles, cheststrap, legs straps) before you left the plane??

i see many jumpers with around my same jump numbers not doing gear checks in the plane, some not even doing handles checks.
i have to admit i was guilty of this too, until i looked around and realized that the REALLY experienced people (instructors, world class 4-way teams, badass freeflyers)either check their shit, or have someone ese do it for them
now i check: before i put my rig on, before i get on the plane, 2 minutes prior, (and if i at anytime brush against anything after then) and i do a handles check before i climb out. ive also recently added video to my list of things to do and i STILL find enough time and space to do all of the necessary checks (my rig ALWAYS comes first!)

attitudes like the one your displaying here suck, they will either get you nowhere fast, or dead really fast!

I agree with ya Angela. If i don't ask for a gear check, don't check it. I've had so many instances of people opening my reserve pin flap, then not putting it back in correctly. I generally ask someone i know and trust to check my pins. If someone i didn't know took it upon himself to start opening flaps, i'd be pretty pissed.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

With an attitude like that I hope I will never be in the same load with you. What the hell is wrong with a gear check? Thank the guy for CARING! Violated? Gimme a break! Two canopies out at 13000 or a double mal that could have been avoided by a simple pin ckeck, now that's violation of a fucking human life. This thread really pushed my button.
Memento Audere Semper

With an attitude like that I hope I will never be in the same load with you. What the hell is wrong with a gear check? Thank the guy for CARING! Violated? Gimme a break! Two canopies out at 13000 or a double mal that could have been avoided by a simple pin ckeck, now that's violation of a fucking human life. This thread really pushed my button.

SO, do you check everyone's pins on the jumprun, just to be sure you'll be OK? Must take you a while.

I think you missed her point. She was not objecting to a gear check. She was objecting to a pin check by someone who didn't ask or wasn't asked first. Someone that, on jump run, just started messing with her rig without permission express or implied. I feel the same way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"If the answer is no, then DON'T CHECK MY GEAR!!"

Come to the UK, no gear check, no jump!
Okay different situation to jump run pin checks (which everyone should learn how to give to themselves), but still, no signed up gear check at flightline, you don't get on the plane.
And now people are taliking about checking bridle and reserve riser integrity on the flightline, which is even more fucked up!

I believe that the UK rules pretty much ensure that the flight line inspection is given by someone competent and qualified and to whom you have given implied consent. A random, unsolicited check on jump run by a total stranger is not in the same category.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

1 - I always "visually" look at people's gear on the plane for problems.

2 - I never touch a rig or do a gear check without letting the person know first. If they don't want me to check, I leave the rig alone and recommend they have someone else do it. If they are in my group (I usually organize, I might insist if I see something odd).

3 - I always do a self check on jump run and ask someone for a pin check. I can check my main pin insertion by touch, but I can't see the PC indicator color.

I think this thread is NOT about doing gearchecks.

It IS about the simple courtesy of letting someone know what you are doing before touching their rig.

We need to stay on topic, there's a lot of people arguing that gear checks are good (way to take a position on such a controversial stand guys :S). mama noted this and a couple others.

In this case, I agree with the poster. Although, I'm polite to people who violate my gear I still tell them firmly, "thanks, but ask me next time before touching my rig." I won't be rude, because then they get all self-righteous and it's a pain. They do mean well.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I do see your point but if someone checks my gear even though I did not ask for it I am not going to get pissed off; I will just thank the guy/gal and probably return the favor; I guess it all comes down to personality...and @ 51 jumps someone should feel thankful for a gear check...
Memento Audere Semper

"unsolicited check on jump run by a total stranger is not in the same category."

Hence.... "different situation to jump run pin checks".

But no biggie.B|.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Agreed....

If I see something I think is wrong, either on the plane or on the ground, I point it out. sometimes I'm wrong, and it's totally okay, sometimes it's not and I get thanked.

However our DZ's student gear is off limits to everybody except to instructors. Yet sometimes I see somebody fix something that doesn't need to be fixed: yeah I suppose it's okay to close riser flaps in the plane, but don't close the main flap because on these rigs they should remain open. Often jumpers don't know that and close them for a student, unasked and unannounced. Might cause a hard pull on these rigs....

If I saw something seriously wrong on jumprun, yeah i would act, and I hope anybody would, regardless of consent.

For the rest, don't touch my gear unless asked, and I won't touch yours unless asked ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How many times a day do you check your reserve pin? Once when you turn your CYPRES on?

That might be the case if she had a cypres...[:/]

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

If the jumper is not a student, I always ask if they want a check.

There are several very good jumpers who will check whoever happens to be standing near them prior to boarding the plane. I've learned to live with them.

[Red] So you've learned to live with me being safety conscious with my friends?;)[/Red]

I do get nervous if someone I don't know or don't know very well touches the container and I will recheck it myself if they bump me or pull the flap open. I usually will not make a big deal out of it, just let them know to ask the next time. They mean well and are trying to learn the ropes around the dz.

Then there are the few others! I don't trust them to give me a check and do not want them ever to touch anything I am jumping with. This includes several instructors.

Last Saturday I was asked by an instructor if he could pull the RSL tab out from under the riser on the DZ rig I was jumping. I told him no and walked away. I just don't trust the guy.

And that was NOT me!;)

i see many jumpers with around my same jump numbers not doing gear checks in the plane, some not even doing handles checks.
i have to admit i was guilty of this too, until i looked around and realized that the REALLY experienced people (instructors, world class 4-way teams, badass freeflyers)either check their shit, or have someone ese do it for them

THat's why I make a point to do very obvious handle checks on the plane -- new junmpers won't feel stupid diong it if experienced jumpers are doing it too. And although I don't love the idea of someone opening my flaps, I will ask for a main pin check on the plane, and offer pin checks to those around me.

I feel it's part of my responsibility as an experienced jumper, to set a safe example.

uh..huh..huh..like maybe a Racer 2k3 would work a. That away no one could check your reserve while on your back same as the reflex in previous post. Anyway I wouldnt Sweat it...we all just wanna be safe attitude...Be Cool and have some good Skydives...yea.. ;)B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I have seen a tandem passenger open the reserve flap of en experienced jumper. I asked him what he was doing and he said he didn't know, but everyone else was doing it.

A gear check from someone that doesn't know what to look for or how to properly re-close flaps is worse than no gear check at all. I have seen numerous people re-close a newer Javelin reserve flap without tucking it into the bottom flap. I have had to reclose Kelli's reserve flap in the aircraft because someone opened it (without her permission) and couldn't get it re-closed. Some main tuck tabs are more secure tucked between the side flaps instead of under the top main flap.

A proper gear check is a good thing. Asking before you give a gear check is appropriate, Giving a gear check before asking or being asked is not.

Always be careful moving around in the aircraft and be conscious of your and others gear.

Derek

A proper gear check is a good thing. Asking before you give a gear check is appropriate, Giving a gear check before asking or being asked is not.

Always be careful moving around in the aircraft and be conscious of your and others gear.

...And it's just that simple!
I think sometimes people get a little
over amped, and just need something
to keep busy prior to the jump.
Those same people wouldn't think twice about
chugging pitchers with you and then pouring
you into your car for the drive home.

Funny story a little off subject...
I was jumping a demo years ago, geared up standing
by the crowd waiting for launch time when this old
guy pops my main flap...and making a comment about the
worn Velcro on my bridle..re-adjusts it and closes the flap!

:o:o:o:o:o

I smiled politely (Demo P.R.) and asked
if he was familiar with this kind
of equipment...
"Yeah" he said...
"I built it!"
It was Ted Strong, whom until that time
I'd never met! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~